• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Like I said in the debate thread: Kaine may have lost the debate, but he just created like 30 new ads for the Clinton campaign.

Yeah, looking back, it seems like all of this was intentional on Kaine's part.

Cyanity

Banned
Hillary's campaign might be cheesy and traditional, but it's being run 7 moves ahead of the Trump campaign at all points. Trump is already checked, but he doesn't know it yet.

Kid Heart

CNN Instant Poll
48% Pence
42% Kaine

I'm happy enough with it.

If Kaine had just interrupted a bit less, and remained a bit more calm at the beginning, I think he would have won it. Still, I'm fine with that performance, especially since now the narrative will focus more on how Pence failed to defend Trump rather then Kaine interrupting Pence a bit. Not that too many people will probably care about the VP debate anyway though. :p

Qasim Rashid, Esq. ‏@MuslimIQ 1h1 hour ago
I've never seen a #VPDebate like this.

Pence spent the entire debate denying Trump insults people all the while Trump was tweeting insults

Ct-L24kW8AAn3Z_.jpg

Jon Lovett ‏@jonlovett 2h2 hours ago
Jon Lovett Retweeted Donald J. Trump
Trump is insulting people at the same moment Mike Pence is dodging questions about Trump insulting people.

Donald Trump is a very small, very insecure, very shallow man.

Based on Twitter, Pence lost the Tankies for Trump vote (which consisted basically of The Intercept) by calling for war with Russia.

Yeah I thought this was the strangest point of the night. Trump: "wouldn't it be great if it can work with Russia"
Pence: "We will use military action if Russia doesn't stop"

Kaine didn't say anything stupid, looks good in highlights/soundbites and continued Clinton's talking points on Trump. From a solely strategic perspective, you can't ask any more of your VP. I could complain for hours but in the end it would just come back to this. The media seems pretty self-aware on the fact checking matter, so I can't even complain too much on their end either.

Whatever. I'll take it.

sazzy

Listen, its irrelevant whether Kaine won/came out on top or not.

What's relevant is that the Clinton/Kaine ticket came out in top.

All the Clinton camp has to do is do a video with a side by side of Donald and Mike Pence on Russia, Putin, comments on minorities, etc.

John Harwood ‏@JohnJHarwood 12m12 minutes ago
Trump adviser on debate after Pence passed up opportunities to defend him: "Pence won overall, but lost with Trump"

John Harwood ‏@JohnJHarwood 9m9 minutes ago
more from adviser on Trump reaction to strong Pence debate following poor Trump showing last week: "he can't stand to be upstaged"

What a goober.

Revolver

Like I said in the debate thread: Kaine may have lost the debate, but he just created like 30 new ads for the Clinton campaign.

One of the panelists on CBS (I think) pointed this out. She said that even though in real time it may have looked rough most people will only see clips of Kaine going after Trump and Pence not responding.

royalan

Kaine didn't say anything stupid, looks good in highlights/soundbites and continued Clinton's talking points on Trump. From a solely strategic perspective, you can't ask any more of your VP. I could complain for hours but in the end it would just come back to this. The media seems pretty self-aware on the fact checking matter, so I can't even complain too much on their end either.

Whatever. I'll take it.

Exactly.

For better or once, Kaine was a front lines guy. He took the blows and ran defense. While Pence looked cool and calm, he's gonna be the one who feels it in the morning.

Next time he sees Hillary, he's gonna be greeted with, "....you did good, kid. The trap is set. Go wash off."

more from adviser on Trump reaction to strong Pence debate following poor Trump showing last week: "he can't stand to be upstaged"

Exactly.

For better or once, Kaine was a front lines guy. He took the blows and ran defense. While Pence looked cool and calm, he's gonna be the one who feels it in the morning.

I think as time goes on people will see this as more of a win for the Clinton Campaign than anything. Pence did great in a straight up head to head, but he did nothing to help the Trump Campaign, and continually outright refused to defend him on virtually everything.

ascii42

No way for Pence to win in that case, if his alternative was to try make himself look worse than Trump did.

Regarding all the talk of Pence 2020. I don't see him as a formidable candidate. He's the fairly unpopular governor of a red state who can be easily attacked for some rather extreme social conservatism. I can certainly believe he has aspirations of a presidential run, but I'd worry about him as much as Republicans should be worrying about Martin O'Malley.

Toxi

Banned
For once OPTICS are working in Clinton's favor. Pence won, but not according to the clips everyone's going to see tomorrow morning.
To be fair, the main reason people are saying Pence won is OPTICS; he sure as hell didn't win on substance.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
To be fair, the main reason people are saying Pence won is OPTICS; he sure as hell didn't win on substance.

He won if you watched the debate, but for everyone who skipped and is only going to see those clips royalan is watching? OPTICS are a bitch.

TheFatOne

My God....

Watching MSNBC, Kaine is looking REALLY good in these bite sized clips.

I'm pretty sure that was the strategy coming in now after watching the debate. Pence wins immediately after the debate, but it's really Pence wins for 2020. While Clinton can now have all this wonderful ammo he gave them for ads.

Cyanity

Banned
Curious what the viewership dropoff rates are going to look like for the debates (or if we even get that info?). I imagine a lot of people couldn't stand the bickering and changed the channel/started doing something else pretty quickly.

Owzers

For me, pence lost on nuclear war, he couldn't defend what Trump said and that only continues the trump is dangerous narrative.

mo60

Regarding all the talk of Pence 2020. I don't see him as a formidable candidate. He's the fairly unpopular governor of a red state who can be easily attacked for some rather extreme social conservatism. I can certainly believe he has aspirations of a presidential run, but I'd worry about him as much as Republicans should be worrying about Martin O'Malley.

Pence is pretty much Bob Dole part 2. Someone that is to extreme and focuses on the good old days instead of the present. He would get destroyed by hilary in 2020 if he faced her. He may be able to sneak by his other opponents and win the nomination in 2020 if he ran like what happened with trump.

Cyanity

Banned
Waiting for Alex Jones to declare that Pence was paid off by HRC for Prez 2016 to make Trump look bad in exchange for political favors.

TheFatOne

I would love for Pence to be the republican nominee in 2020. Would be an extremely easy win for dems barring an economic meltdown.

For me, pence lost on nuclear war, he couldn't defend what Trump said and that only continues the trump is dangerous narrative.

On substance he lost every question after the first 1 or 2. But he maintained his composure and sounded confident in most of his answers, so to people at home he appeared to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom