• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Pence is like a satire of the perfect political debater. If i could just give him Tim Kaines words, his demeanor and calmness was totes presidential.

Kaine lost, but it was a soft loss - he brought up enough shit to keep the news cycle muddy, but ultimately pence won. Not hard enough to change trajectory, just stop the bleeding.

Agreed, Pence has always been an extremely polished politician. Polished to a fault, he's the prototypical senator. He's tough to debate because anything he says sounds reasonable because of his delivery.

Boke1879

Lol people keep saying he won what what?

He did nothign for Trump here at all,he made things worse in fact.

He won optically imo. He was smooth, calm, and collected. IT doesn't do shit to help their tickets chances, but people win debates generally by how they act.

You're right. He didn't do shit for Trump and I really hope the media pushes the narrative that he looked to be setting himself up for a 2020 run by not really defending his running mate.

You can also attack Pence for many things he said regarding abortion and race.

Michelle is not running

the-x-files-i-want-to-believe-print.jpg

=(

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I think we're all missing the REAL story of the night. Pence went two hours into a VP debate and didn't once mention Benghazi. :O

Cyanity

Banned
There's an exactly 0% chance of Michelle Obama running for office for the rest of her life.

I think we're all missing the REAL story of the night. Pence went two hours into a VP debate and didn't once mention Benghazi. :O

It's official: Ben Ghazi was a republican all along

jtb

Banned
The problem with a debate like this is that the "winner" and "loser" is as much determined by who controls the news cycle the next day as the debate itself. This is a test for the media: to report on this debate would require either acknowledging the significant daylight between Pence and Trump, or disputing Pence's lies about Trump's statements and policies.

(this is a test they will fail.)

I'm very much on board the Jamelle Bouie train of thought this election, which is--if the only role of journalists is to play theatre critic, then why exactly does the media exist?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. Nobody that can be moved was watching;
2. Everybody that was watching knows Pence was lying;
3. ...

Y'all really think Pence won? Nonsense. His job, assuming he was given one, was to undermine support for Hillary. 'looking better' and 'sounding more presidential' might put him in a better position 4-8 years from now, but he did not win this debate simply by running out the clock. Calling bullshit on all of you. He lost because he couldn't defend his candidate on any point at all. Not ONE.

You all are reading this all wrong. Kaine was fine and though Pence didn't bite, he was on his heels the entire night and didn't land a single punch. Pence lost and Pence lost badly. And Trump is about 3-5 hours from making this loss much worse.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The problem with a debate like this is that the "winner" and "loser" is as much determined by who controls the news cycle the next day as the debate itself. This is a test for the media: to report on this debate would require either acknowledging the significant daylight between Pence and Trump, or disputing Pence's lies about Trump's statements and policies.

(this is a test they will fail.)

I'm very much on board the Jamelle Bouie train of thought this election, which is--if the only role of journalists is to play theatre critic, then why exactly does the media exist?

The Clinton machine is far far better at the post debate spin.

Every channel is basically 'he didn't defend trump and lies too much'.

Clinton stays winning.

Loudninja

He won optically imo. He was smooth, calm, and collected. IT doesn't do shit to help their tickets chances, but people win debates generally by how they act.

You're right. He didn't do shit for Trump and I really hope the media pushes the narrative that he looked to be setting himself up for a 2020 run by not really defending his running mate.

You can also attack Pence for many things he said regarding abortion and race.
Yeah I dont get why he think 2020 is going to be viable for him.

Really felt like the Email thing has finally lost power tho. Even when MIKEPENCE brought it up felt like everyone glazed over at the lines and the other time the moderator just ran over him talking about it.

I will say Kaine did do a much better way of prosecuting the Russia/Trump angle than before.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think pence reminds religious people that he's on the ticket, which is good for Trump. But where is this notion trumo is struggling with evangelicals coming from? I thought he had a fuckton.

Cyanity

Banned

Clinton stays winning.

It also helps that Trump has spent his entire campaign seating reporters in the punji pit and sicking his supporters on them. There is very little journalistic good will left in this race for Trump.

edit - Trump literally pointed at the reporters at his rally today and told his supporters that they "are the enemy". He's been doing it nonstop.

Effect

Clinton stays winning.

If that's the case then tomorrow should continue that line of discussion, at least in the morning. Then the ads start.

I think pence reminds religious people that he's on the ticket, which is good for Trump. But where is this notion trumo is struggling with evangelicals coming from? I thought he had a fuckton.

White evangelicals are easily Trump's strongest demo because white evangelicals hate Muslims.

He's 72% favorable among white evangelicals which is better than Rmoney because evangelicals hate Mormons.

I think pence reminds religious people that he's on the ticket, which is good for Trump. But where is this notion trumo is struggling with evangelicals coming from? I thought he had a ton.

Correct, there's no struggle. From July:

Nearly four-fifths of white evangelical voters plan to cast their ballots for Donald J. Trump despite his multiple marriages, lack of piety and inconsistency on the issues they care about most, a new poll has found.

Support for Mr. Trump among white evangelicals is even stronger than it was four years ago for Mitt Romney, the previous Republican nominee for president, according to the poll of religious voters, released on Tuesday by the Pew Research Center.

80% and 85% (I have no idea if these are real numbers) are both fucktons but Trump needs the biggest fuckton he can get.

Looking back Kaine moving at lightning speed allowed him to very quickly get through the defnese of the Foundation and E-mails without having to get into too much detail.

CNN Instant Poll
48% Pence
42% Kaine

Yep a draw, but the fact checkers will destroy Pence's denial of everything. If the best Trump can do is tie in the next two this race is completely over.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well Kaine kept the entire focus on Trump. I have no doubts Pence was going to attack Clinton and when he did Kaine defended.

Sure, but you would think he'd be blurting out "33 THOUSAND CLASSIFIED EMAILS, SENATOR!" every 15 seconds just based on oral muscle memory.

CNN instant polls show Pence won 48 to 42.

I'd like point out that the sample was more Democratic but it mirrored the national polls that followed afterwards. So it seems like it was a wash overall, which means a Clinton win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom