• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
It's kind of scary how close to fascism the country can get. Just imagine Trump, but able to leverage Hillary's issues better, and not make unforced errors and bad statements. And there are people who hate Hillary enough that they'd sit there and let it happen and pretend it isn't their fault and they had no hand it helping it happen.

We're kind of lucky our stumble with fascism (something most democracies have issues with eventually) is a moron with no ability to run an effective campaign.

Juuuuust want to circle back on this and ask where you were between Sept. 12, 2001 and January 19, 2009.

The chatroom is basically me bragging about the kids, randomly talking about politics for 30 seconds, and then me bitching about my job. And, Manky and I talk about food a lot.

So basically the same thing that I talk about here. Although, I read every post in PoliGaf.

I have a lot of confidence in the Democrats' ground game and (early voting) GOTV operations in the state, and none at all in the GOP's.

Yeah I do too but I'm setting myself for a nail biter in the senate so as not to get my hopes up. I'm very confident in Cooper and reasonably confident in Hillary there. I think most Republicans in the state feel the same and are hoping for Burr, but he keeps fucking up because he thinks he's winning.

Imagine having Elizabeth Warren, but in North Carolina.p

Joeytj

Banned
Curiously is NC a demographic trend or a right circumstances deal with the way the state GOP has fumbled the bathroom bill over, and over again.

A bit of both, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hillary wins NC and Florida while losing Iowa and Ohio. Heck, even Georgia looks like more of a possibility than Iowa right now. And it's mostly due to demographic trends.

Trump supporters who argue that police have the right to shoot black people when black people might have had guns on them usually have profile pictures where they're holding an AR-15.

Not sure why, very confusing.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Bush doesn't look quite as bad in retrospect, when compared to Trump. I mean, I complained about Bush while he was in office, but I lived through him...

No, I completely disagree. His entire presidency showed how easily half the country could ignore all evidence to support one of the worst presidencies of all time. Nobody that saw how the Iraq War went down -- despite an obvious lack of evidence, despite half the country opposing it, despite all the obvious problems with Cheney and Halliburton and the oil companies, despite all the begging for exit plans before the first missile was ever lobbed -- can say otherwise. We knew all this shit ahead of time and there wasn't a damn thing we could do to stop it. Not a damn thing.

Not gonna sit here and pretend we haven't seen dark days of this damn country and that we haven't already seen a preview.

Loudninja

We got it all wrong guys!
Cs2Com-WAAAkcub.jpg

Bowdz

These are seriously starting to sound like North Korean press statements.

"Glorious Leader God King Trump cannot be corrupt because there is no reason for him to be unlike the evil barbarous Clintons. GLORY TO TRUMP TOWER!"

Fox318

He's not, he's trying to come off as less racist to suburban white voters.

Wouldn't he be better of trying to do that courting the Latino vote?

Not like Trump is doing campaigning in traditional black universities or touring areas traditional overlooked by political campaigns.

It just seems so weird to me.

This Op-Ed came out just today too
It's fitting that the most childish, petulant major-party presidential candidate in American history seems to be trying to perfect the "I know you are, but what am I?" campaign.

Candidates have always attacked each other's weaknesses. It's even become common for candidates to embrace rather than downplay their opponents' supposed strengths and try to turn them into weaknesses. Opponents suggested that Arizona Sen. John McCain's ennobling five-year stint as a prisoner of war in Vietnam actually left him mentally unfit for the presidency, for example, and that the stirring quality of President Barack Obama's speeches demonstrated his crippling reliance on the teleprompter

But 2016 GOP nominee Donald Trump has gone that audacity one better. He's regularly takes his own weaknesses — his shallowness, dishonesty, bigotry, greed and so on — and tries to pin them on his Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton, thus at least confusing the issue in the minds of the voters.

For me, the one thing that keeps me from being a bedwetter is that if you did a 270towin map based on its aggregate polls, Hillary has a lot more wiggle room. I did a couple maps, one for each candidate, where I compared how many states they could get if they won every state that they were leading in or were only behind in by certain percent; for Hillary it was 5%, and for Trump I did 7%. In Hillary's poll, she won 418 to his 120, but for Trump's, he only had 345 to her 193. While that's not like, hard poll science or whatever, it still helps you put into perspective that for all of the damage her candidacy took recently, the harm has peaked. Given that 272 is very reasonable and very likely, unless some huge scandal comes up, Hillary - coupled with some awesome Obama campaigning - is only going to push closer to that figure.

You know what would really be amazing? If someone did what that one guy did in Florida, with the Hispanic outreach, and spent millions on getting Hispanics to go out, register, and vote in Texas.

No, I completely disagree. His entire presidency showed how easily half the country could ignore all evidence to support one of the worst presidencies of all time. Nobody that saw how the Iraq War went down -- despite an obvious lack of evidence, despite half the country opposing it, despite all the obvious problems with Cheney and Halliburton and the oil companies, despite all the begging for exit plans before the first missile was ever lobbed -- can say otherwise. We knew all this shit ahead of time and there wasn't a damn thing we could do to stop it. Not a damn thing.

Not gonna sit here and pretend we haven't seen dark days of this damn country and that we haven't already seen a preview.
I mean, I agree, those times sucked, and are indeed a preview of the dark days of a potential future Trump presidency, but while I was able to live through a Bush presidency, I fear I might not be able to do likewise with a Trump presidency if he incites all the violence that it seems like he will...

Fox318

Frankly unless the President has a debilitating disease that would impede his day to day ability to run the Presidency I really don't care about the age until they get close to 80.

Too much was made about McCain's age and too much is being made about Hillary's health.

mo60

I hope he publicly backs Clinton and this is the road they go down.

I don't think his kids would take too kindly to Trump or anyone in that campaign attacking their father like that.

If it gets George P Bush if I recall to rescind his support of trump I will be happy.

User1608

Banned
I mean, I agree, those times sucked, and are indeed a preview of the dark days of a potential future Trump presidency, but while I was able to live through a Bush presidency, I fear I might not be able to do likewise with a Trump presidency if he incites all the violence that it seems like he will...
I definitely have the specter of a Trump presidency in the back of my head too. Very unpleasant considering with a particular executive action thanks to Obama it would put almost a laser sight on me and so many other youth. But many good people will ensure that possibility will never occur. The decency of this country and Hillary's top notch team and campaign are gonna knock that orange out.

Yes attack a respected former president of your own party, that should help things.

It would be nice if HW had a similar boost to what Powell did for Obama 08.

Seeing Trump's campaign fail completely at addressing recent controversies makes me even more excited for the debates. Good luck defending your charity, Trump.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I'm trying to imagine the worst possible for scenario for Trump at the debate BUT it doesn't actually hurt his polls. It's kinda hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom