• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emarv

Alright, I'm gonna push back a bit here. Obviously the monikers we attach to political figures are tongue-in-cheek (Queen, Daddy, etc), but the Trash Nate and GodNate stuff I find weird and a little "console war-esque".

It is without a doubt that Nate screwed up with Trump by not deferring to the data. It is without a doubt that the model he's created for 2016 is more reactive than others, even by his own admission. He's explained himself a few times that he chose a very reactive model due to what he believes is a more volatile election (perhaps overcompensating for the Trump effect he missed previously) and due to the high number of undecideds. We can definitely debate the inclusion of certain polls and their various weights assigned, but Nate has been very open about his firm belief in including just about every poll (probably due to his strong 3rd party-type sympathies).

I'm by no means a statistical expert. Personally, I just received my Masters in Epidemiology and Biostatistics, and I'm very familiar with STATA, the software Nate does most of his work on. Now, retrospective infection surveillance is very different from prospective prediction modeling, so I'm typically really hesitant to critique a field I'm unfamiliar with. I love that PoliGAF really digs into the crosstabs and such. I encourage more people to learn more about statistics, without a doubt, but I also ask that we have a little bit of patience. Science is often about scrutiny, not dismissal, until results are seen. 538 will not decide the election, so it's all just methodology debates.

The fights between Silver, Cohn, Wang, etc have been fascinating this cycle. We are currently watching really smart people debate over a field that is still essentially brand new about how to approach these types of models. Silver has been fairly open about what he's doing and we'll see on Nov 8th how close he really is. Rewarding and giving voice to those other individuals has been really cool, this cycle. But picking teams just feels silly to me (outside of tongue-in-cheek stuff).

Again, I'm not saying we can't critique him. His choices this cycle are definitely suspect, and Nate has a big, big smug contrarian streak in him. I, personally, just refuse to dismiss him as "Trash Nate" like he's Sony or Nintendo or something just because he's trying something a little more sketchy than his peers or because his numbers are less reassuring. At least until we see more direct evidence that he's incorrect.

The Don King discussion has me wondering about the debate. We're going to see Trump saying really goofy, Trumpy things, and I hope Hillary has her plan ready for reacting visually/nonverbally at the right moments. Her reaction gifs from the Benghazi panel were real winners.

We need "Please proceed, Governor" 2.0

Bowdz

Just do what I do and imagine him crying into his McFlurry on Election Night.

The Don King discussion has me wondering about the debate. We're going to see Trump saying really goofy, Trumpy things, and I hope Hillary has her plan ready for reacting visually/nonverbally at the right moments. Her reaction gifs from the Benghazi panel were real winners.

I'm no debate expert, but I hope Clinton has practiced doing quick jabs at Trump followed by immediately pivoting to her positive policy, ending most answers with a positive frame.

Get a damning hit in for contrast and framing, and then leave a positive policy point in everyone's mind. If Trump goes crazy or there is a back and forth, bring down the hammer and rebut, but I think her priority should be proving her competence and outlining a positive vision for the country at every possible opportunity.

Conan ;_;

Speaking of that Andy Richter found the same article stupid too

https://twitter.com/AndyRichter/status/778618781245452292
@AndyRichter 27m27 minutes ago
8 yrs of GOP kleptocracy into 8 yrs of GOP obstruction & @DouthatNYT's take seems to be "gee liberals sure are bitchy these days"

@AndyRichter 23m23 minutes ago
And heaven forbid that an area of the tv industry, while in pursuit of a young audience, should reflect young people's opinions @DouthatNYT

@AndyRichter 21m21 minutes ago
Also very notable that the female candidates "problem" is the female host who dares to call out one of the boys' club @DouthatNYT

BiggNife

Alright, I'm gonna push back a bit here. Obviously the monikers we attach to political figures are tongue-in-cheek (Queen, Daddy, etc), but the Trash Nate and GodNate stuff I find weird and a little "console war-esque".

It is without a doubt that Nate screwed up with Trump by not deferring to the data. It is without a doubt that the model he's created for 2016 is more reactive than others, even by his own admission. He's explained himself a few times that he chose a very reactive model due to what he believes is a more volatile election (perhaps overcompensating for the Trump effect he missed previously) and due to the high number of undecideds. We can definitely debate the inclusion of certain polls and their various weights assigned, but Nate has been very open about his firm belief in including just about every poll (probably due to his strong 3rd party-type sympathies).

I'm by no means a statistical expert. Personally, I just received my Masters in Epidemiology and Biostatistics, and I'm very familiar with STATA, the software Nate does most of his work on. Now, retrospective infection surveillance is very different from prospective prediction modeling, so I'm typically really hesitant to critique a field I'm unfamiliar with. I love that PoliGAF really digs into the crosstabs and such. I encourage more people to learn more about statistics, without a doubt, but I also ask that we have a little bit of patience. Science is often about scrutiny, not dismissal, until results are seen. 538 will not decide the election, so it's all just methodology debates.

The fights between Silver, Cohn, Wang, etc have been fascinating this cycle. We are currently watching really smart people debate over a field that is still essentially brand new about how to approach these types of models. Silver has been fairly open about what he's doing and we'll see on Nov 8th how close he really is. Rewarding and giving voice to those other individuals has been really cool, this cycle. But picking teams just feels silly to me (outside of tongue-in-cheek stuff).

Again, I'm not saying we can't critique him. His choices this cycle are definitely suspect, and Nate has a big, big smug contrarian streak in him. I, personally, just refuse to dismiss him as "Trash Nate" like he's Sony or Nintendo or something just because he's trying something a little more sketchy than his peers or because his numbers are less reassuring. At least until we see more direct evidence that he's incorrect.
I agree that trash nate is maybe a bit harsh. I also remember a push to ban 538 from this thread in July, when people were freaking out over the pre DNC numbers.

I think the backlash is a result of people being frustrated that 538 is treated as the be all end all of political predictions (it's not) and Nate's tendency to brag and claim that his detractors just can't handle the truth, which is kind of a shitty disposition to have.

Personally I think it's worth looking at all of the prediction sites and making your own deductions from there.

thefro

NBC/WSJ poll comes out at 5 PM today

V2faAHJ.png

Teggy

I hope someone is doing a Colorado poll. The trend there was not looking good, even if you discount the poll with Trump up.

thebloo

They were asking him policy questions and all he would say is "I'm going to let the Secretary's words speak for themselves" or "our policy is on our website". He was stumbling and wouldn't answer anything. It got so bad several people were asking him if he wasn't going to answer anything, why was he on the show

Mook: "I'm going to let the Secretary's words speak for themselves" - Horrible!

Kellyann: "You should ask Trump" - Spin master!

So I was walking around campus and I found this.

KVHqdyv.jpg

Was this a thing? I was only 13 during that primary.
Not a big thing, but Gore staked out a relatively anti-war position in '02-'03, and punishing Hillary's Iraq authorization vote was a big priority for a lot of us. I remember hoping he would run back in the spring of '07.

Blader

Speaking of the debates, I had a good laugh when I read that Scott Walker was going to be Kaine's stand-in for Pence's prep. Walker was the single worst debater in his (one and only!) GOP debate last year; the guy is robotic as fuck. If that's who Pence is using to warm up for the VP debate, then I can't wait.

What does Russia think Syria will look like when this war is over after they've bombed hospitals and infrastructure for years?

This is not going to be a functioning state if this war ever ends. What is the strategic advantage of having an ally controlling a state of rubble?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

So Trump's numbers are in the low 40s, and 45% of people are concerned about Hillary's "deplorables" comment.

Hmmm. I am curious if it would be effective for Hillary's campaign to try to make independents/undecideds/millennials feel bad about themselves for thinking about voting alongside all of the racist/alt-right/deplorables in this country.

Voters like trade deals. Stay losing protectionists

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/22/u...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

And while Mrs. Clinton, under pressure from her anti-trade pact Democratic primary rival, Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, came out in opposition to the T.P.P. in October, a Pew survey in March found that even 55 percent of Sanders supporters said trade agreements had been good for the country.

But lets write 1000 more article about how the democrats need to abandon trade and how this is the animating reason behind trumpism, not racism and racial resentment

Bowdz

What does Russia think Syria will look like when this war is over after they've bombed hospitals and infrastructure for years?

This is not going to be a functioning state if this war ever ends. What is the strategic advantage of having an ally controlling a state of rubble?

Their port in Tartus gives them access to the Mediterranean Sea and Syria is happy to allow them to have military assets in Syria allowing them to project force in the broader Middle East. It's all about strategic force projection.

So I was walking around campus and I found this.

KVHqdyv.jpg

Was this a thing? I was only 13 during that primary.

In 06/early 07 it looked like Hillary would roll to the nomination with ease to many people, and some liberals naturally wanted an alternative who could potentially challenge her.

I knew people who thought Obama would win back then but overall most assumed Hillary would easily sweep it.

This is one of the few very good polls Hillary has gotten from not-Pennsylvania recently.

She definitely has had some okay ones in Florida and NC though, sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom