• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holmes

That...doesn't mean anything...

tumblr_inline_o4kultpQdU1s349q9_500.gif
I... think it means I was watching...

tumblr_inline_ocv1qkElU11qcm4iq_500.gif

He's the law and order candidate. So this was clearly pre taped. You think it makes it on air?

I thought it was going to be streamed.

Either way, it can clearly be read. I really wonder if he going to slip up and speak this way when he has no answer in the debate. It'll be extremely funny to witness.

Iolo

Regardless of polling, any day we can expand our repertoire of awkward smile fade out gifs is a win in my book.

Matt ViserVerified account
‏@mviser
“American hands will rebuild our nation. Not the hands of people from other nations.” — Donald Trump

Ben JacobsVerified account
‏@Bencjacobs
Trump says limiting admission of refugees to the US is "not just a matter of terrorism but a matter of quality of life"

Gross.

Nafai1123

Banned
So Trumps solution to fixing black people problems is to create situations in which they have a much higher chance of being forced to interact with a police officer. Ok...

Read this thread

https://twitter.com/DouthatNYT/status/778663153416765441

I have no patence for Douthat. Especially this series of tweets in order
@DouthatNYT
@jbouie @DamonLinker Except that "Trump is a wicked bigot" does not exhaust the useful analyses of why people are supporting Trump.

1h1 hour ago
@DouthatNYT @DamonLinker Okay. What *I* am focused on is Trump as vehicle for a white nationalist project. That is what concerns me.

1h1 hour ago
@jbouie @DamonLinker I am also concerned about it. Which is why I'd prefer a liberalism less determined to empower that project.
‏@DouthatNYT 1h1 hour ago
@jbouie @DamonLinker Likewise I am concerned about the rise of the European far right. Which is why I think Merkel made a horrible choice.
@DouthatNYT 1h1 hour ago
@jbouie @DamonLinker Cosmopolitan liberals have a lot of power in the West. Damon and I think they are not exercising it wisely.

He's "concerned" about trump and the far right but the real problem is the liberals didn't give them an inch so its their fault the racists are racist. So liberal must concede to racism to stop racism?

This is where the right its going to go after trump. They're going to ignore the racist and focus 100% exclusively on this bullshit notion of economic anxiety and marginalized voters irrespective of race

Other goods news from under the hood of this PPP polls:

Only 13% of white voters are undecided in the NC Senate race (Burr: 52, Ross: 30), but 20% of black voters are undecided (Burr: 8%, Ross: 70%). And of the "other" race category, where Ross leads 56% to 27%, 12% are undecideds.

Of the undecided voters in the Senate race, 5% are Very Liberal, 21% are Somewhat Liberal, and 22% are Moderate (a group that tends to break for Dems). 12% are Somewhat Conservative and 8% are Very Conservative.

In the 3-way, Hillary gets only 78% of the black vote to Trump's 9% and Johnson's 2%, with 11% undecided. I can't imagine a world in which she does worse than 90% of the black vote in NC.

Basically, there only seems so far for Burr and Trump to grow, while there are a lot more Ross and Clinton voters out there.

Emarv

Wow, lots of Twitter is picking up on the Stop and Frisk & the "only American Hands" comments. Too much nativism at once to ignore.

Matt ViserVerified account
‏@mviser
“American hands will rebuild our nation. Not the hands of people from other nations.” — Donald Trump

I want to weep when reading this. It's so terrible.

I have no doubt this is banon attempting to re-run the jessie helms ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIyewCdXMzk

Way too obscure, but this doesn't feel so much about actually doing work/building things as it is to rebuild American culture without others. Maybe the quote is missing context, or maybe it just lost something in translation from the original German.

Would be nice if Trump's "hands" comment became a big discussion in the news.

We'll see.

At this point I'm just waiting for the debate. Because there's a good likelihood Clinton can end this thing and depress GOP turnout.

And we need that, desperately.

Emarv

In better news:

Ian Sams
‏@IanSams
NEW --> The gang is getting back together: the cast of The West Wing will campaign for @HillaryClinton in stops across Ohio this weekend.

Cs5p3lFVYAAElr3.jpg

Hillary must have read my post about the media paying no attention to disabled voters (even as Trump shows total disrespect towards the disabled and Hillary is extremely progressive in that area) and must be trying to get them to cover this issue.

But then Trump was like "Guess what? I'm actually Andrew Jackson and we need to lock up black and brown people before they rape our white women and make us uncomfortable. Locking them up is for their own good too!"

This is the stupid peice that douthat was staning for

http://theweek.com/articles/649886/liberals-keep-denigrating-new-nationalism-racist-nonsense

But the real problem with the way Beauchamp and so many others on the center-left talk about those on the nationalist right is that it displays outright contempt for particularistic instincts that are not and should not be considered morally and politically beyond the pale. On the contrary, a very good case can be made that these instincts are natural to human beings and even coeval with political life as such — and that it is the universalistic cosmopolitanism of humanitarian liberalism (or progressivism) that, as much as anything, has provoked the right-wing backlash in the first place.
Racism is natural [tbf an arguable point on its own] and its the liberals faults for trying to stop it.
For such liberals, any outlook that resists or rejects humanitarianism is an atavistic throwback to less morally pristine times, with the present always superior to the past and the imagined even-more-purely humanitarian future always better still.

Concerned about immigrants disregarding the nation's borders, defying its laws, and changing its ethnic and linguistic character? Racist!

Worried that the historically Christian and (more recently) secular character of European civilization will be altered for the worse, not to mention that its citizens will be forced to endure increasing numbers of theologically motivated acts of terrorism, if millions of refugees from Muslim regions of the world are permitted to settle in the European Union? Islamophobe!

Fed up with the way EU bureaucracies disregard and override British sovereignty on a range of issues, including migration within the Eurozone? Xenophobe!

As far as humanitarian liberals are concerned, all immigrants should be welcomed (and perhaps given access to government benefits), whether or not they entered the country illegally, no matter what language they speak or ethnicity they belong to, and without regard for their religious or political commitments. All that matters — or should matter — is that they are human. To raise any other consideration is pure bigotry and simply unacceptable.

Humanitarianism is a bad word guys

Earlier forms of liberalism were politically wiser than this — though the wisdom came less from a clearly delineated argument than from observation of human behavior and reading of human history. "Love of one's own" had been recognized as a potent and permanent motive force in politics all the way back to the beginning of Western civilization, when Homer and Sophocles depicted it and Plato analyzed it. It simply never occurred to liberals prior to the mid-20th century that human beings might one day overcome particularistic forms of solidarity and attachment. They took it entirely for granted that individual rights and civic duties needed to be instantiated in particulars — by this people, in this place, with this distinctive history and these specific norms, habits, and traditions.
HOLY SHIT AT THIS SENTENCE. Its like this dude is completely ignorant of other competing views and this whole religion thing a few hundred years later that completly rejected this thinking and which that majority of humans believe and subscribe to.

And in noway are Homer and Sophocles and Plato, "observations of human behavior and a reading of human history"

How far it goes and how much it destroys will depend in no small part on how long it takes humanitarian liberals to accept their own role in provoking the very thing they most want to destroy.

Again, liberals are to blame for provoking racists

Liberals and conservatives live nowhere near each other anymore. How do liberals even annoy conservatives when all liberals live in like 30 cities that are 80% Democrat?

Joeytj

Banned
Here's Hillary speech today for those who missed it.

And yeah, this, all the way to November. She was even better than in her convention speech. And this is also the way to go in the debates. Answer to Trump's attack, if they come, but stick to her message, stick to "Love Trumps Hate", stick to "Stronger Together" and love and kindness, he mantra since she was young.

User1608

Banned
I know people get sick of the Hitler comparisons but damn if it doesn't feel appropriate sometimes, especially if you're impacted by his words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom