• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubenov

That tweet from Trump smh. He either thinks this will blow over or he truly believes he did nothing wrong

Nah, I view that tweet as him coming to the realization he's toast. Slowly making peace with it.

If he believed he had a fighting chance he would be "drunk tweeting", fighting like crazy right now.

Trump literally cannot drop out at this point. Why are people even discussing this lol? I mean...there is literally no path to this is there? Also there's a debate with the man tomorrow! Tomorrow!!

I mean, there's also the lawsuit that he raped a 13 year old, and one of his business partners accused him of attempted rape. That shit has been out there for a while and somehow it hasn't stuck. Guess it took hearing it from the horse's mouth for it to get any traction.

But no, I'm talking like, "Polaroids of bruises"-type violence, the kind of shit where he's not just raping his wife (which she later denied), but physically beating a woman just because he can. That seems like it's entirely his personality. It's a fine line, maybe, but I feel like for certain groups of men, rape is something they can chuckle about, but hitting a woman is over the line.

Christ, I forgot about that one too.

This is what I was talking about earlier though. If he's committed assault and there's evidence of it that's being held back for "maximum impact", that's unconscionable and, hopefully, criminal. I don't care who's doing it and why.

Man, I REALLY wish this was leaked like an hr before the debate instead of yesterday so he wouldn't have had time to polish up his talking points before then.

I seriously think the drop out talk comes from people wanting an easy way to say Hillary's election is illegitimate.

I mean they're already gonna pull the "if she was running against a real Republican" but if they turn their backs publicly it makes it bullshit easier.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Clinton is still only gonna win like 47-43. It's just going to drag Trump's points down and throw them at the gimmick candidates.

The only thing I'm concerned about is whether Clinton's strategy on the wikileaks stuff is going to be to refuse to own them and insist she won't comment because stolen documents. If that comes up on a debate stage, I think that would play very, very poorly.

Revolver

Trump literally cannot drop out at this point. Why are people even discussing this lol? I mean...there is literally no path to this is there? Also there's a debate with the man tomorrow! Tomorrow!!

I wonder if that holier-than-thou Race Bannon lookin' fucker Pence could drop out? He's done either way but he could at least get on his soapbox and try to look above it all.

Ithil

Man, I REALLY wish this was leaked like an hr before the debate instead of yesterday so he wouldn't have had time to polish up his talking points before then.

He has had 25 years to polish up his talking points on the Central Park 5 and still managed to fuck it up the other day.

We were headed for a 5-point-win before this. It's going to be bigger than that now.

1) Trump won't lead in the polls or projections again. Unlike 2012 when people convinced themselves that Romney was winning, there's little chance of that here. Significant numbers of GOP voters will stay home rather than vote for a candidate they dislike *and* has no chance of winning.

2) Ground game.

3) This loses virtually every woman who's not the core GOP base, and even some of those.

Seriously, this is snowballing. Unlike allegations, or investigations, an actual audio tape is going to deter people who might have voted. Virtually every woman knows a woman who's been groped, who's been treated like her consent doesn't matter, who's had it brushed off as "boys will be boys." Allegations are easy to rationalize away, but not a tape of the actual perpetrator *bragging* about it in a context that he clearly knows it's wrong and does it anyway.

Boke1879

We were headed for a 5-point-win before this. It's going to be bigger than that now.

1) Trump won't lead in the polls or projections again. Unlike 2012 when people convinced themselves that Romney was winning, there's little chance of that here. Significant numbers of GOP voters will stay home rather than vote for a candidate they dislike *and* has no chance of winning.

2) Ground game.

3) This loses virtually every woman who's not the core GOP base, and even some of those.

Seriously, this is snowballing. Unlike allegations, or investigations, an actual audio tape is going to deter people who might have voted. Virtually every woman knows a woman who's been groped, who's been treated like her consent doesn't matter, who's had it brushed off as "boys will be boys." Allegations are easy to rationalize away, but not a tape of the actual perpetrator *bragging* about it in a context that he clearly knows it's wrong and does it anyway.

And there is still worse to come.

SexyFish

Banned

He's not polishing his talking points.

He's going to watch news channels talk all about this.

He's going to be getting grilled by Priebus and Ryan all day behind doors.

His children are terrified about the future of their brand.

Other republicans will probably withdraw support.

He will be so rattled by this that Hillary can focus on other points to destroy him (Central Park 5, his nuke policy).

He's so fucked. His numbers among women are scorched. It has to be over. And the rumors that their is more damning stuff to come is just icing on the cake.

Oh, and...

GOP voters also have an excuse to give themselves for not winning. Makes it easier to stay home if you can blame it on the candidate.

Makai

I seriously think the drop out talk comes from people wanting an easy way to say Hillary's election is illegitimate.

I mean they're already gonna pull the "if she was running against a real Republican" but if they turn their backs publicly it makes it bullshit easier.
Ok, that makes sense

sazzy

bRVpiu.png

benjipwns

Banned
He has had 25 years to polish up his talking points on the Central Park 5 and still managed to fuck it up the other day.
No, he got that one right.

Oh wait, you're saying this like if he were a standard person who changed their opinion based on new facts.

Joy says Trump still has to answer about the Central Park 5.

I loved the Newsweek guy calling Trump surrogates out for their bullshit "ok fine Trump did X but what about Hillary (or Bill)?" Like, exactly what Trump did in his apology and will be doing tomorrow night.

Makai

benji - i bet you've already answered this:

What happens if Trump drops out? My understanding is Trump will remain on the ballot, so people will have to vote for him. The electors then vote for Mitt Romney and suffer a fine or whatever for defection.

pigeon

Banned

Something I noticed yesterday during the fun: when the New York Times released their article about Trump assaulting a women in Ivanka's bedroom, they tweeted saying "was going to release this on Sunday but going early now."

Sunday's the debate. MSNBC was holding the tape for something too, remember?

I'm starting to think this whole thing was actually planned to come out immediately before the debates, and when it got leaked to Fahrenholdt it went early.

benjipwns

Banned
So when will one of these people calling on Trump to withdraw indicate their ideas for a replacement candidate? Just hypothetically.

benji - i bet you've already answered this:

What happens if Trump drops out? My understanding is Trump will remain on the ballot, so people will have to vote for him. The electors then vote for Mitt Romney and suffer a fine or whatever for defection.
The main thing is that there's no point to this hypothetical from a strategic stand point. If they lose, just cast the ballots for Trump because who gives a fuck? If he wins, Trump isn't going to stick to the deal and the party isn't going to block him from fucking winning.

My fascist family members on Facebook are in mourning after watching the video.

They've responded to my (assumed, I haven't posted anything) satisfaction by mocking my mental illness. Charmingly deplorable.

Watergate HAPPENED during the 1972 election.

Oh, FFS, I'm talking about when McGovern's running mate was dropped from the ticket after it was revealed that he had undergone electroshock therapy. Watergate didn't start really breaking until well into '73 when the election was over. Wake up.

You've lost your goddamn mind if you think any candidate is getting 70+% of the popular vote. Hillary hasn't even cracked 50% in polls in 14 months. You'd be winning every state. You'd be picking up at least 20 Senate seats not 5.

The GOP voter is not going to stay home or vote for Clinton over something like this. This will not be the largest landslide in American history.

You have complete lost touch with reality if you think women are going to show up for Trump after he JOKED ABOUT SEXUALLY ASSAULTING A WOMAN.

Seriously, like, do you even know any women?

NeoXChaos

Sean T at RCP ‏@SeanTrende 11m11 minutes ago
GOP now in a no-win political situation. Withdraw endorsements and lose base support. Continue to endorse, lose swing voters. House in play.

Sean T at RCP ‏@SeanTrende 4m4 minutes ago
That's the issue here. A lot of GOP voters will likely not show up in places we've never even considered competitive.

Crocodile

Hewitt basically towing a typical Republican opinion - "Everything about Trump would be fine if we thought he could actually win but its kind of obvious he can't now so fuck him!"

Oh, FFS, I'm talking about when McGovern's running mate was dropped from the ticket after it was revealed that he had undergone electroshock therapy. Watergate didn't start really breaking until well into '73 when the election was over. Wake up.

You have complete lost touch with reality if you think women are going to show up for Trump after he JOKED ABOUT SEXUALLY ASSAULTING A WOMAN.

Seriously, like, do you even know any women?

He will get tens of millions of female votes.

Pixieking

Banned
Marc E. Elias
‏@marceelias

Marc E. Elias Retweeted Katy Tur

As I tweeted last night, regardless of RNC rules process, it is too late to replace Trump on state ballots. He will be the candidate.

and
Jenna Johnson Verified account
‏@wpjenna

My colleague @costareports just spoke with Donald Trump, who told him: “I’d never withdraw. I’ve never withdrawn in my life."

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can't believe this is happening b/c of what he said lol and not what he...you know did for a year and a half

sazzy

I wonder if Hillary is going to smile and shake his hand and say "how are you Donald" this time at the debate...

Grief.exe

Guesses on next oppo drop. I'm going to guess he called the Central Park Five something racist on tape.

I hope they destroy this man. I don't even care how far you run the lead up, bury him. Gives the Democrats a higher chance of taking the House, which will be key to pushing agenda going forward.

I can't believe this is happening b/c of what he said lol and not what he...you know did for a year and a half

I hope it doesn't get to the point where people remember this election as the turning point. No this was a consistent narrative of a racist, misogynist candidate with zero policy justification. This moment only represents a time where independents really start to wake up.

ampere

Trump says he's getting "overwhelming support" in case any of you were worried about him!

Guesses on next oppo drop. I'm going to guess he called the Central Park Five something racist on tape.

I didn't even think about this, but considering how fervently he called for (and still calls for?) their execution... he's probably dropped some slurs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom