• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

chefbags

CuQY_FSWYAAMjRK.jpg

Too late

LOL PENCE?!

That's like not even remotely possible.

HylianTom

Banned
If he drops out, there are going to be a ton of Deplorables who have made Trump support an integral part of their political identity. The replacement might get most of this crowd's votes, but enough of them will still be enraged about him being basically driven out that they will refuse to transfer their support over to the replacement who'd be stealing his nomination.

The GOP is in a no-win situation. This is it.

Carly Fiorina. You fucking tool. He called you ugly. He said the most sexist bullshit about you. And he's a sexual abuser. And you still can't condemn him.

Fuckorina sucks.

Calling someone ugly is rude and uncalled for, but it's not sexist. What did he say to Fiorina that was sexist? I can't recall.

Isn't him dropping out potentially really bad for us

Who is "us"? I think it's too late for him to drop out though.

Damaniel

Banned
Man, I REALLY wish this was leaked like an hr before the debate instead of yesterday so he wouldn't have had time to polish up his talking points before then.

As if he'll even try to polish up his talking points - he'll just wing it as he always does.

Who is "us"? I think it's too late for him to drop out.

Yep. The ballots are all already made up and early voting has already started. The GOP's only hope would be for Trump to agree to hand over the Presidency to Pence if he wins, but if Trump actually won does anybody seriously think he'd hand over the reins to the most powerful job in the world? The GOP is stuck with him, and I couldn't be happier about the damage he's doing to their brand.

Isn't him dropping out potentially really bad for us

Absolutely not.

One, this new person won't actually be on the ballot. They'll have no money (Trump can't just give them his money). They'll have no ground game. You'll have disenfranchised 15 million people who voted for him in the primary. The deplorables will be pissed.

So wait, I'm confused...if Donald drops out and Pence becomes top of the ticket, why does it matter that Donald's name is on all the ballots? Wouldn't that slot just become the generic "Republican" placeholder and then the electoral college votes go to whoever's the new nominee?

(clearly I do not have the best grasp of the legalities around this)

benjipwns

Banned
I get the individuals trying to save their own bacon, but not the Republican strategists who think it will somehow stop the bleeding.
The people in the second group are actually in the first group. They need to say "I told you so" for the next cycle.

Absolutely not.

One, this new person won't actually be on the ballot. They'll have no money (Trump can't just give them his money). They'll have no ground game. You'll have disenfranchised 15 million people who voted for him in the primary. The deplorables will be pissed.
Only thing I can think of is they would use it to delegitimize her presidency. Not that they wouldn't try that anyways.

I am going to correct my earlier statement. I now think that the 2nd debate will be the most watched debate in human history. I thought it would drop off after the 1st one but not after this.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Calling someone ugly is rude and uncalled for, but it's not sexist. What did he say to Fiorina that was sexist? I can't recall.

Calling someone's face the face of someone who cannot be president is a sexist comment. He tried to make it into "persona."

Who is "us"? I think it's too late for him to drop out though.

Americans.

Absolutely not.

The deplorables like Pence tho

Grief.exe

So basically the GOP has instructed candidates in close races to pull their support immediately.

Chaffetz likely just pulled the trigger on his own before instruction from the RNC.

benjipwns

Banned
Trump "dropping out" doesn't fucking matter. If this hypothetical GOP replacement candidate loses, the EVs are meaningless. If they "win" the EVs are earmarked for Trump first who can just say he didn't drop out because there's nothing other than the electors refusing to vote for him to stop it.

kadotsu

Banned
The whole Trump base will collectively boycott the election if "the establishment" makes him quit. More than that they will support the batshit in the mid term primaries. 100 Trump like candidates that might lose them any single swing-ish state giving the Senate to the dems in 2018.

They'll take the loss, spend insane money to keep the house and Senate and hope that a substantial loss will go through the skull of the base.

Clinton is still only gonna win like 47-43. It's just going to drag Trump's points down and throw them at the gimmick candidates.

The only thing I'm concerned about is whether Clinton's strategy on the wikileaks stuff is going to be to refuse to own them and insist she won't comment because stolen documents. If that comes up on a debate stage, I think that would play very, very poorly.
SHEs already up 5 overall. I see 7-10 advantage come election day.

Calling someone's face the face of someone who cannot be president is a sexist comment.

I disagree. I tell people IRL that Trump's face is a face of someone who cannot be president. Doesn't mean it's a sexist comment.

Mind you, I'm not saying Trump is not a misogynist asshole, but I don't think he said anything sexist to Fiorina. At least nothing that I recall off the top of my head.

The whole Trump base will collectively boycott the election if "the establishment" makes him quit. More than that they will support the batshit in the mid term primaries. 100 Trump like candidates that might lose them any single swing-ish state giving the Senate to the dems in 2018.

They'll take the loss, spend insane money to keep the house and Senate and hope that a substantial loss will go through the skull of the base.
Yep, they are already attacking the GOP members that have pulled their support on Twitter. They need to just take the L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom