• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
We were headed for a 5-point-win before this. It's going to be bigger than that now.

1) Trump won't lead in the polls or projections again. Unlike 2012 when people convinced themselves that Romney was winning, there's little chance of that here. Significant numbers of GOP voters will stay home rather than vote for a candidate they dislike *and* has no chance of winning.

2) Ground game.

3) This loses virtually every woman who's not the core GOP base, and even some of those.

Seriously, this is snowballing. Unlike allegations, or investigations, an actual audio tape is going to deter people who might have voted. Virtually every woman knows a woman who's been groped, who's been treated like her consent doesn't matter, who's had it brushed off as "boys will be boys." Allegations are easy to rationalize away, but not a tape of the actual perpetrator *bragging* about it in a context that he clearly knows it's wrong and does it anyway.
This was my hunch. This is going to get much, much worse for the GOP.

In the back of my mind, during all of this, I've kept this amazing context as a pinned thought:
This was an eminently winnable election for the GOP. And instead, they're staring down the barrel of a cannon.

And someone mentioned Dan Rather this morning.. I still hope Rachel invites him on for Election Night. They're good together, and that's going to be a momentous night.
(And yes, I've dug out my Monster album. College memories right there..)

sazzy

I can't believe this is happening b/c of what he said lol and not what he...you know did for a year and a half

Jerry Springer was on MSNBC and he said it best: its not just what he said, he's been saying shit forever, its what he said he DOES, and that is grope women.

Amid growing calls to drop out, Trump vows to ‘never withdraw’

epublican presidential nominee Donald Trump said in an interview Saturday that he would not drop out of the race under any circumstances, following calls from several in his party to do so.

“I’d never withdraw. I’ve never withdrawn in my life,” Trump told the Washington Post in a phone call from his home in Trump Tower in New York. “No, I’m not quitting this race. I have tremendous support.”

“People are calling and saying, ‘Don’t even think about doing anything else but running,” Trump said when asked about GOP defections. “You have to see what’s going on. The real story is that people have no idea the support. I don’t know how that’s going to boil down but people have no idea the support.

“Running against her,” Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, makes keeping the party behind him easier, Trump added.

“It’s because she’s so bad. She’s so flawed as a candidate. Running against her, I can’t say it’d be the same if I ran against someone else, but running against her makes it a lot easier, that’s for sure.”

Trump’s comments came less than 24 hours after The Washington Post published a video Friday where Trump bragged in vulgar terms about kissing, groping and trying to have sex with women during a 2005 conversation caught on a hot microphone.

Trump acknowledged that the video has consumed the presidential race — “it certainly has” — but he said he has endured past controversies, not only during his 2016 bid but during his career.

“I’ve been here before, I’ll tell ya, in life,” Trump said. “I understand life and how you make it through. You go through things. I’ve been through many. It’s called life. And it’s always interesting.”

Trump said “thousands and thousands” of backers have sent him letterse and emails since the Post’s story was published. “You have no idea what it’s like,” he said. “So many people.”

Trump pointed to his disparagement of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) during the early months of last year’s Republican primary campaign as an example of how he has weathered political storms.

“Everyone said, ‘It’s over, it’s over.’ The people didn’t say that but the reporters said that,” Trump said. When asked to explain his ability in the past to survive, Trump said it’s because “I’m change.”

Reflecting on his state of mind as he watched news coverage from his apartment, Trump said, “I’m holding up well. I’m holding up well.”

benjipwns

Banned
Guesses on next oppo drop. I'm going to guess he called the Central Park Five something racist on tape.
No, he just bought an ad for that.

Oh, FFS, I'm talking about when McGovern's running mate was dropped from the ticket after it was revealed that he had undergone electroshock therapy. Watergate didn't start really breaking until well into '73 when the election was over. Wake up.
I'll sleep as I please. Woodward and Bernstein's reporting was during the summer of 1972. The Watergate burglars were indicted in September 1972. The FBI announced the break-in was part of the Nixon re-election campaign in fucking October.

You have complete lost touch with reality if you think women are going to show up for Trump after he JOKED ABOUT SEXUALLY ASSAULTING A WOMAN.

Seriously, like, do you even know any women?
Seriously, like, do you even know any partisans? (Other than yourself that is.)

You're hypothesizing the largest landslide in American political history, by a polling magnitude larger than any other election, in a race where the candidates are currently within five points. If you had suggested something like Hillary 55% - Trump 30% - Johnson 15% you'd still be crazy, but less so. But to suggest a 70-80% popular vote share for any candidate is beyond plausible.

Millions of women will be voting for Donald Trump.

I live in VA10, and, I'm very surprised Comstock was one of the first to come out against Trump. Her race must be much closer than it seems on the ground because this definitely tries to pull Ds who can be moved.

My colleague @costareports just spoke with Donald Trump, who told him: “I’d never withdraw. I’ve never withdrawn in my life."

Well, that explains some of his terrible brood.

...Sorry, I took the easy joke.

NeoXChaos

CuQY_FSWYAAMjRK.jpg

Too late

Pixieking

Banned
Any legitimate reason to bedwet about this, and worry that Trump will pull out with Pence becoming top-pick? I honestly don't know enough about the legal-end of this kind-of thing. :/

sazzy

Think of how perfectly this has been orchestrated:

1- Humiliate Donald in debate 1

2- Drive a wedge b/w Pence and Donald in debate 2; make Pence look good.

3- Make GOP wish Pence was running against Hillary

4- Release devastating oppo

5- GOP people start demanding that Donald should step down and be replaced by Pence

6- Donald, already thrown off by point 2, refuses. Internal rift in the GOP gets worse.

7- everything goes to hell.

SexyFish

Banned
Any legitimate reason to bedwet about this, and worry that Trump will pull out with Pence becoming top-pick? I honestly don't know enough about the legal-end of this kind-of thing. :/

Have you seen how crazy Trump supporters are? They won't come out for Pence.

Trouble

Banned

None. Trump pulling out would be a blessing, but it won't happen.

He's right on the money.

It would take a wave for Democrats to take back the House, because a wave would elect candidates in districts we didn't even think were remotely competitive. Reliable GOP voters deciding to not show up (which I imagine some won't!) would allow that to happen.

It'd need to be coordinated and it's too big and too late to be coordinated. Instead, the vote will fragment 5 different ways with people writing in Pence or Rubio or Ryan or whoever, plus people sticking with Trump, plus people floating to Johnson, or stay home.

Also it's too late and he's on the ballot and voting has started....

Cartman has the answer for you and everyone

Think of how perfectly this has been orchestrated:

1- Humiliate Donald in debate 1

2- Drive a wedge b/w Pence and Donald in debate 2; make Pence look good.

3- Make GOP wish Pence was running against Hillary

4- Release devastating oppo

5- GOP people start demanding that Donald should step down and be replaced by Pence

6- Donald, already thrown off by point 2, refuses.

7- everything goes to hell.
Is step 8 profit?

Tarydax

Banned

His word isn't worth much, but Trump has said he won't drop out, plus he's already on the ballot on most (all?) states. It's literally too late for the GOP to replace Trump.

They can't legally remove him and Trump just said he has never withdrawn from anything in his entire life and will not withdraw from this race. GOP is stuck with him and they can either sleep in the bed they made or change the sheets (by removing their endorsements) and hope they don't lose their jobs.

GutsOfThor

I was concerned about this as well but trump will not drop out. Read the posts above yours.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Carly Fiorina. You fucking tool. He called you ugly. He said the most sexist bullshit about you. And he's a sexual abuser. And you still can't condemn him.

Fuckorina sucks.

Gabriel Sherman ‏@gabrielsherman 1h1 hour ago
hear Trump huddled in meeting at Trump Tower w/ Rudy, Newt and Jeff Sessions. Source: Sessions arguing Trump should consider dropping out

So Sessions wants him to drop out? Wow.

I was concerned about this as well but trump will not drop out. Read the posts above yours.

Pence can't be on a multitude of state tickets.

We're 30 days out, if Trump drops out it's over, there is literally no way for a GOP nominee to win.

Trump is a blind idiot who has been used by others his entire life, but he just doesn't know it.

He's taking the entire GOP down with him

Pixieking

Banned
Okay, cool, I can worry less. :D

Out of curiousity, the timing of pullling-out of those ad-buys, followed quickly by this. Coincidence, or did the campaign have some fore-warning and realise that those ad-buys next week would be worthless?

Kusagari

What the hell is the point of him "dropping out" now?

Trump will still be at the top of the ticket. The ticket is still going to lose. The ticket for the GOP in the history books for all of time will still have Trump on it.

You guys are fucked. You made your bed.

sonicmj1

Trump just told the WSJ he would never drop out and that he's getting "tremendous" support.

I wonder how many people have been calling him to apologize/thanking him for saying the truth about Bill Clinton.

"You husband is a rapist!"

"Good job I'm not a rapist, then. How 'bout you Donald?"

I don't think she has to, or should, aim towards the most serious allegations that have come out about Trump, like the rape lawsuit or the sexual assault from the Times story that dropped late yesterday. These words bury him in the eyes of many voters without her help.

I'm not going to write a script for it, but besides the "I'm not my husband" point, I'd think the best play would be to sympathy. I mean, there's a reason Trump said he didn't go there in the first debate. It's an attack on her family. The period during the Monica Lewinsky scandal must have been one of the most difficult periods of her life, for both her and her daughter, and trying to repair her marriage to her husband in the media spotlight must have been an enormous struggle. How do you feel when you're betrayed so deeply by someone you have loved for years? How do you accept that truth? How do you find room in your heart to forgive?

Bill's behavior was inexcusable, and she paid a dear cost for it. And now Trump wants to hold her accountable for it again to excuse his own unacceptable attitudes towards women?

Future Melania divorce confirmed.

Not because of anything specific Trump does, but because he'll lose all his wealth after the election.

I am pretty sure he is embezzling enough from campaign donations that flow to his properties. Not to mention he has the staff for his news network which will play well to his deplorables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom