• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAl1992

Yep, they are already attacking the GOP members that have pulled their support on Twitter. They need to just take the L.

I'd expect it for the more saner Republicans, who I feel those that consider themselves moderates are absolutely repulsed by this, but the alt-right? Forget it. If they couldn't accept this tosser got steam rolled in the first debate, then they clearly won't accept it now, or ever for that matter.

watershed

Banned
Chris Christie will sweep in and save Trump if Pence drops. Them Trump will have the runningmate he always wanted. It would be a net positive!

So wait, I'm confused...if Donald drops out and Pence becomes top of the ticket, why does it matter that Donald's name is on all the ballots? Wouldn't that slot just become the generic "Republican" placeholder and then the electoral college votes go to whoever's the new nominee?

(clearly I do not have the best grasp of the legalities around this)

Doesn't work that way. Votes for Donald Trump as President are votes for Donald Trump as President, not the "Republican Party". Think of it like a write in except just given as an option. GOP is fucked and they are losing either way. This is just turning into option A)go down with the ship(hold strong with Trump hope nothing new pops up, unlikely) or B)every man for himself(disavow Trump knowing more shit is coming down the pipe, which opens you up to primary challenges in the future).

Emarv

My favorite part about the calls for a Pence replacement, besides being fruitless, is that it will continue to drive a wedge between Trump and Pence.

Either before this election or after, Trump is gonna lay into Pence and it's gonna be great.

benjipwns

Banned
despite calls to do so by elected officials including Illinois Sen. Mark Kirk, Colorado Rep. Mike Coffman, former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman and former New Hampshire Sen. Gordon Humphrey.

"No one I've spoken with is in agreement with those you've mentioned," said West Virginia RNC Committeewoman Melody Potter, in an email. "My opinion, Trump should NOT be replaced."

"These same people need to yell for Hillary to be replaced since she is under investigation for her disappearing e-mails while she was Secretary of State," Potter added.
boom, hillary roasted

RE: Pence. Either way his career is over. He hitched his wagon to the wrong train. If he stays, he loses and he's synonymous with Trump. If he quits, he's a quitter and a loser (see Palin) and he's still synonymous with Trump. He made a bad decision months ago.

No, he just bought an ad for that.

I'll sleep as I please. Woodward and Bernstein's reporting was during the summer of 1972. The Watergate burglars were indicted in September 1972. The FBI announced the break-in was part of the Nixon re-election campaign in fucking October.

And up until the summer of 1973, it was still portrayed as the work of rogue operatives within the campaign with no knowledge of Nixon or his staff. Eagleton being dropped from McGovern's ticket is by far the biggest post-convention scandal in modern politics up until yesterday.

Seriously, like, do you even know any partisans? (Other than yourself that is.)

Nope. I live in the heart of Trump country (upstate South Carolina). People here have been ecstatic about voting for Trump since he announced. I have serious doubts that you could find 10 Clinton yard signs within 20 miles of my house. So, no, I don't know a single hardcore Trump supporter.

I do, however, know quite a few women who live near me who have publicly stated today that they are either voting for Clinton or staying home on Election Day. But, hey, what do they know, right? They're just women.

You're hypothesizing the largest landslide in American political history, by a polling magnitude larger than any other election, in a race where the candidates are currently within five points. If you had suggested something like Hillary 55% - Trump 30% - Johnson 15% you'd still be crazy, but less so. But to suggest a 70-80% popular vote share for any candidate is beyond plausible.

Millions of women will be voting for Donald Trump.

Again, show me where history applies to this situation that is completely unique in the last 100 years. You are going to see record low turnout among the GOP base, and quite a few people who were willing to hold their nose and vote Trump will be jumping ship to Clinton.

oh hey look that one Stein voter I know is bringing up that time Clinton had to defend a rapist in court as evidence that she's just as bad as Trump advocating sexual assault what a surprise

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I disagree. I tell people IRL that Trump's face is a face of someone who cannot be president. Doesn't mean it's a sexist comment.

Mind you, I'm not saying Trump is not a misogynist asshole, but I don't think he said anything sexist to Fiorina. At least nothing that I recall off the top of my head.

A man telling a woman she can't be president because of the way her face looks is close to the textbook version of a sexist comment. At least I feel that way.

oh hey look that one Stein voter I know is bringing up that time Clinton had to defend a rapist in court as evidence that she's just as bad as Trump advocating sexual assault what a surprise

People too stupid to know what defensive attorneys are seem like people who will one day need defense attorneys.

Zukkoyaki

So is Kasich the favorite for 2020? He's about the only prominent and active republican who avoided the Trump circus.

Edit: honestly probably not. He isn't crazy enough to win a primary :p

Slayven

This is it. The GOP is actually imploding

train-implosion.gif

Seeing Facebook posts on how the Wikileaks leaks make Hillary seem more left to center than she feels she needs to appear on TV. I'm okay with this! I grew up with the understanding that after a primary, candidates need to pivot a little for support.

If only Trump attended Hillary's speeches.

kadotsu

Banned
So is Kasich the favorite for 2020? He's about the only prominent and active republican who avoided the Trump circus.

You think the alt-right will just magically disappear when Trump loses? The GOP has driven away moderates from their primaries. We'll get a more media trained racist next time.

Edit: honestly probably not. He isn't crazy enough to win a primary :p

He can't win a primary. It'll be someone who wasn't in the 2016 primary race, everyone who competed against Trump was disgraced or humiliated except Kasich and he can't win over the modern GOP base.

Diablos

Pence is gonna drop out isn't he? Can't say i blame him. I disagree by the way that his career is over, his debate performance on optics at least was quite impressive and he would be a formidable candidate in 2020. Especially if he drops out now.

I can't stop watching this train wreck

Vyrance

I like that Republicans are coming out and saying that they won't vote for Trump, but want Pence to replace him as well. I'm sure when Trump reads a few of those it will just make him really angry at Pence, probably thinking he's trying to take what's his.

I'm eager to see if this craziness makes Georgia a real possibility to go blue

A man telling a woman she can't be president because of the way her face looks is close to the textbook version of a sexist comment. At least I feel that way.

Do you think it's okay for a woman to tell a man he can't be president because of the way his face looks? Or would that be misandry in your book?

Slayven

I like that Republicans are coming out and saying that they won't vote for Trump, but want Pence to replace him as well. I'm sure when Trump reads a few of those it will just make him really angry at Pence, probably thinking he's trying to take what's his.

Yeah Trump's ego is fragile as hell.

GusBus

Yeah, I'm really hoping for a Judas moment where he accuses Pence of stealing the nomination.

benjipwns

Banned
I do, however, know quite a few women who live near me who have publicly stated today that they are either voting for Clinton or staying home on Election Day. But, hey, what do they know, right? They're just women.
No, they're just anecdotes.

Again, show me where history applies to this situation that is completely unique in the last 100 years. You are going to see record low turnout among the GOP base, and quite a few people who were willing to hold their nose and vote Trump will be jumping ship to Clinton.
What is unique about this situation that it would shatter everything we know about electoral politics in the United States and create a forty to fifty point swing over a few weeks that erases one of the political parties down to a level that has never happened ever in any Presidential election?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom