• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

Josh Kraushaar ‏@HotlineJosh 8m8 minutes ago
Josh Kraushaar Retweeted Seung Min Kim
Another big Trump defection out of Nevada, one of DT's stronger battleground states. And he's reportedly getting BOOED.

Zukkoyaki

Hello, I decided drop in see if there's any Missourians here who know what is going on?
Kander has gained significant ground in the past month and supposedly Blunt's internals shows that he is down one point to his challenger. GOP is clearly nervous considering they've routed a lot of money to his campaign. A recent Remington poll (the firm who does Blunt's internals) released a Missouri poll without a senate information. Strange and yet very telling.

Koster is running away with the governor race because even the NRA can tell that Greitens is a damn moron.

HylianTom

Banned
I'd like to believe that Ruth Bader Ginsburg's seat will have been filled by then (she's like 83 now, right?) because all of those people would beat HRC.

I don't know if we'll have Hillary + Senate in any other two years than her first two. And I don't trust the GOP to hold confirmation hearings or a vote - in any circumstances.

Grief.exe

pVGo9D.png

Scl5rwX.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't know if we'll have Hillary + Senate in any other two years than her first two. And I don't trust the GOP to hold confirmation hearings or a vote - in any circumstances.

I dunno. I'm not prepared to accept that we're going to hit a Constitutional crisis at a never-before-seen level.

2020 has a couple pickup opportunities. Colorado, North Carolina, Alaska, Georgia, Iowa if it isn't too far gone by then (aided by Ernst being nuts), Maine if Collins hangs it up. Depending on how bad 2018 is we could regain ground.

Kander has gained significant ground in the past month and supposedly Blunt's internals shows that he is down one point to his challenger. GOP is clearly nervous considering they've routed a lot of money to his campaign. A recent Remington poll (the firm who does Blunt's internals) released a Missouri poll without a senate information. Strange and yet very telling.

Koster is running away with the governor race because even the NRA can tell that Greitens is a damn moron.

Is Missouri still gonna turn red?

Valhelm

contribute something
To put on my tinfoil cap for a second, is it possible that a lot of Republican officials have been waiting for an excuse to drop Trump? His chances of taking the White House plummeted after the first debate.

That recording is horrible, but I don't think it's even the worst sexism gaffe Trump's made. Remember, this guy is a presumed rapist who's joked about screwing his daughter.

Nobility

Banned
Its kind of offensive to me that THIS is what did it.

SMH but also finding all of this hilarious.

This echos is my exact thoughts and feelings right now.

I was just telling someone that after everything this man has said since the beginning, this could be the thing that does him in.

Unbelievable.

royalan

Romney leading the charge on big name Republicans distancing themselves from Trump.

As the Democrats what do you do? Do you allow Republicans to distance themselves and continue to focus exclusively on nailing Trump? Or do you use this scandal to finally start attacking the party as a whole?

I'm leaning towards the first option. Democrats have got to know by now that actually governing will be next to impossible if the Republican party is allowed to function as "normal." And that's exactly what they're going to try and do. Starting now, apparently.

Trump is cooked. I say keep an eye on him, keep running against him, But Hillary and the Demz need to turn their attention downticket. Republicans shouldn't be allowed to pivot if their chosen frontrunner won't.

HylianTom

Banned
I dunno. I'm not prepared to accept that we're going
to hit a Constitutional crisis at a never-before-seen level.
It's hard to gauge, since we're in uncharted territory. I hope you're right.

2020 has a couple pickup opportunities. Colorado, North Carolina, Alaska, Georgia, Iowa if it isn't too far gone by then (aided by Ernst being nuts), Maine if Collins hangs it up. Depending on how bad 2018 is we could regain ground.
How much we lose in 2018 is going to be so damn critical. I took 2014's losses pretty well, but I'd be much more upset if we get wiped-out defending all of those seats in '18.

--

Meanwhile, Ben Carson insists that he's #StillTrump:

@reidepstein
Ben Carson still stands with Trump "100%," Armstrong Williams tells me. Of lewd tape: "It's no different from what you hear in rap music."

EXCELLENT. I like these voices whispering sweet nothings into his ear. Reinforcing his gut instinct to stay in. This is great stuff.

Someone will have to explain this to me. I do know what gerrymandering means, but don't understand how that will work against the GOP depending on voter turnout.

Republicans have drawn a lot of districts where they win by about 4-7 points. Its a solid lead but in a wave it can all fall a part for them if Democrats win these seats even by just 1 or 2 points.

Someone will have to explain this to me. I do know what gerrymandering means, but don't understand how that will work against the GOP depending on voter turnout.

Basically, they try to inflate their numbers by getting seemingly safe -- but not overwhemlming -- majorities into as many districts as possible, leaving a smaller number of districts that are crammed with opposing voters. In a state like North Carolina, where votes for House reps was nearly split in 2012, Republicans came out with a 10-3 advantage. Imagine results like

D +50
R +6
R +6
R +6
R +6
D +40

This house of cards crumbles if turnout is suppressed in your own base, when you safe (but not overwhelming!) majorities get eroded.

Gerrymandering is when you take a R+10 district and a D+1 district and change the boundaries so they both become R+5 districts.

If your voters show up in a presidential election, you'll probably win most R+5 districts.

If your voters don't show up and you end up losing districts by 7 points because of that... You start losing all of those R+5 districts which means you lose those districts that used to be R+10 also.

shem935

Banned

If somenthing happened to massively depress GOP turnout candidates in gerrymandered districts would be ousted as turnout collapsed. I don't see what's so awful for the GOP about that compared to the scenario where we have balanced districts and moderately lowered GOP turnout swings more seats on average.

Edit: Ah it's explained well above, that makes sense.

Forma last night made the path clear-calling his remarks outrageous and reprehensible isn't enough. Make them say openly if they still endorse Trump and if they won't answer make your entire campaign about it until they do.

If they unendorse, fine, you get to move on with the issues while they have to find a way to get their base back together. If they keep endorsing, you beat them over the head with it.

It's really easy. Note that I thought the "don't give Hillary a blank check" campaign was going to get rolled out next week regardless, but forcing unendorsement is a bigger thing than that.

The DCCC needs to empty its bank accounts for this last month. Go balls to the wall broke for that down-ballot push. Paint every GOPer under-reelection with the Trump brush. Even if they disavowed him, make them look like cowards for not doing it sooner.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

When the Republican Party gerrymanders, they basically try to create districts with relatively small Republican majorities, and pack as many Democrats.into as few districts as they can. That way, Republicans can grab most or all of the seats while giving as few seats to Democrats as possible, even in states with more Democratic voters.

But if turnout for Republicans drops like a rock, then those small Republican majority seats can flip Democrat, and you don't have any safe Republican seats as insurance. Your whole state turns blue.

Parshias7

Generally if you're gerrymandering you want to split up voters so your opponents have a bunch of districts where they win with like 80% of the vote while you have even more districts where you win with like 55%. That way a lot of your opponent's supporter's votes get "wasted" running up the margins in their winning districts. But then if your voters fail to show up for whatever reason, those 55% winning margins drop and you have the chance to lose your carefully planned districts.

Pyrokai

I'm seeing a lot of stuff in here about Trump dropping out. Thread is too fast so I might have missed something, but that isn't a real thing, is it?

Grief.exe

Austin Texas Gerrymandering is a good example of what could happen if turnout is suppressed. Austin has a huge population that the Republican party is attempting to suppress by aggressive rural Gerrymandering. What happens when Republican turnout is massively suppressed, but the Democratic base is vigorously motivated?

B1hgTzwIgAApIVe.png

I'm seeing a lot of stuff in here about Trump dropping out. Thread is to fast so I might have missed something, but that isn't a real thing, is it?

No.

CuQYmVZXYAAKJOf.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I know his ego would never allow it, but what would happen if he dropped out? Are there provisions for extreme circumstances like that? Would it be like if he died during the campaign?

When the Republican Party gerrymanders, they basically try to create districts with relatively small Republican majorities, and pack as many Democrats.into as few districts as they can. That way, Republicans can grab most or all of the seats while giving as few seats to Democrats as possible, even in states with more Democratic voters.

But if turnout for Republicans drops like a rock, then those small Republican majority seats can flip Democrat, and you don't have any safe Republican seats as insurance. Your whole state turns blue.

this is just gorgeous.

ampere

Its kind of offensive to me that THIS is what did it.

SMH but also finding all of this hilarious.

I still don't get how the whole "why can't we use nukes" thing didn't tank him

Or the bigotry

Or "climate change is a hoax"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom