• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampere

The nuke comment wasn't on audio/video right? I feel that is the main difference, people like to be able to see and hear it themselves. Plus I believe it was someone who said he had said it. As for the climate change I believe a poll came out recently that showed a majority of Americans are suspicious of climate science. The bigotry, unfortunately, only drains you of so much support.

That's a good point about audio/video. Also might be that nuclear war is too abstract for average people to think about

Cyanity

Banned
ZJMf8kG.jpg

Holmes

A lot of people from Utah jumped ship, and now there's a growing number from Alabama. The Mormons bailed first, now it's looking like the evangelicals are not far behind.

dramatis

What Kind of Man Is Donald Trump? [The Atlantic]
And so the 2016 campaign, which has already exposed so many of our national rifts—class, race, geography—has settled, in its final weeks, on our deepest and most animal fault line, the one that cleaves the human race in two: men versus women, the old-fashioned battle of the sexes. A few days later, a decade-old recording would surface of Trump talking about groping and seducing married women, in keeping with a long history of what he termed “locker-room banter.”

And isn't it fitting? On the one hand, it might be a rich irony that America's first woman to head a major-party ticket finds herself running against the cartoon of masculinity, the parody of machismo, that is Trump. On the other hand, it might not be a coincidence at all.
Nobody has a problem with a woman being president, okay? It's just this woman, Hillary Clinton, who is defective in so many obvious ways. That's what the Trump supporters say, and they mean it.

"She's female, but is she a woman?" a Trump supporter in Manheim, JoAnne Balshi, tells me. A 69-year-old retiree with a gold cross around her neck, Balshi has come to the rally with her husband. They are such longtime Trump fans that, long before he entered politics, they once traveled to Trump Tower to celebrate his birthday.

"She doesn't wear a dress ever," Balshi continues. "She'll probably show up in a pantsuit for the inaugural. She's not a typical woman—she's not soft. She's so power-hungry, which is not becoming of a woman."

Her husband, Tom, a dentist wearing a Make America Great Again cap, chimes in. "I know women who are CEOs, women who own companies," he says. "There's no glass ceiling for women anymore. It doesn't exist." Of Alicia Machado, he notes, "It's not like she was Ms. Wholesome."

Most Trump supporters I talk to say they wouldn't say the things Trump says about women, and some would like him to apologize. But his brand of masculinity has a powerful appeal to his male supporters—and also to many women. They firmly agree with Trump that Hillary is “playing the woman's card”—using baseless accusations of sexism to silence her critics, or playing the victim to distract from her own missteps. This is largely the view of Machado, too, in whose career they see a double standard: She was fine with being judged for her looks when it benefited her, then cried foul when the judgment turned negative.
This is what women do—they manipulate, they punish—and their influence is turning society soft and weak. "Trump is just an alpha male, a macho guy," says Steve Musselman, a 30-year-old truck driver with a chinstrap beard. "Our problem today is the squashing of the ego. The male ego is what has allowed our species to survive. But today everybody's ultra-sensitive."

Anyway, it's clear Trump doesn't hate women—just look at him. "He obviously loves his wife and children," says Richard Hershey, an 86-year-old retired manufacturing supervisor. Of Machado, he says, "If you listen to what Trump said, he was trying to help her. He wanted to work with her and put her on a diet. So what if he jokingly said 'little piggy' or something? That has nothing to do with anything."

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
A lot of people from Utah jumped ship, and now there's a growing number from Alabama. The Mormons bailed first, now it's looking like the evangelicals are not far behind.

The Mormons were barely on board in the first place, they never really liked Trump. This could be the thing that keeps them home.

Diablos

God, if they somehow retake the House, I hope Bernie and Hillary work on ramming through tax reform asap.
Public option or at least more regulations on insurance companies and big pharma. ACA needs it to survive in the long term. And if Dems can't own that the GOP will throw the whole thing out someday

Holmes

I wonder what the ratio of people Rs unendorsing vs Rs standing by him will be. I hope we get a straight up civil war.
The divide will be between women, Mormons, evangelicals and highly educated Republicans vs. less educated and religious men, those who've been married multiple times and have no daughters. There will also be a geographical divide similar to the primary.

Holmes

So Republicans are in self-preservation mode. Some are looking to survive this year, but I'm sure many are looking to 2018 and 2020 and hoping they won't be able to be tied to Trump. Some are also living in a fantasy land where they can replace Trump with Pence, but the ballots are already printed and the deadline was September 1st. This is a pretty fun Saturday morning.

Boke1879

Honestly barring a debate meltdown from Clinton I feel this story will be what gets told next week.

It'll be about Trumps comments plus the support he's losing right now.

And we probably aren't going to see Trump or Pence together ever again

So the Teflon is starting to flake off, and stuff is starting to stick, and people who aren't changing what they use are starting to get poisoned by it.

Who knew that analogy would still work so well?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Honestly barring a debate meltdown from Clinton I feel this story will be what gets told next week.

It'll be about Trumps comments plus the support he's losing right now.

The debate can't hurt Clinton any longer. The o ly thing that can happen from now on is it getting worse for Trump.

I hate Repubs who name drop Lincoln. You ain't the party of Lincoln anymore. You can't go run as an anti minority party for generations, reap its benefits, and have your cake too. No. Just no.

Trouble

Banned
In the debate tomorrow, how does Trump respond to all the un-endorsements and calls for him to step down? It's guaranteed to come up.

I hate Repubs who name drop Lincoln. You ain't the party of Lincoln anymore. You can't go run as an anti minority party for generations, reap its benefits, and have your cake too. No. Just no.

It should also be noted that he said that in the 60s, he joined the party of Reagan

Wasn't the party of Reagan yet boyo

It's too fucking late to disavow Trump, you shit head Republicans. I find it funny that this is the straw that broke the camel's back for Pence. Not every other vile thing he's said about women and immigrants. He's a piece of shit and more dangerous than Trump because he actually presents himself as some decent person, when his policies dictate other wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom