• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Banned
CuQrHmuVYAAROyV.jpg

ampere

I'm seeing a lot of stuff in here about Trump dropping out. Thread is too fast so I might have missed something, but that isn't a real thing, is it?

He won't, but people are calling for him to.

Pence on the other hand, might actually drop off the ticket since he's ultimately concerned more about himself than Trump.

Tarydax

Banned
But Hillary and the Demz need to turn their attention downticket. Republicans shouldn't be allowed to pivot if their chosen frontrunner won't.

Agreed 100%. Words won't be able to describe how disappointed I am if the Democrats let the Republicans live this down in any way. They should know by now that the Republican Party that backed Trump is not home to any decent people and is not open to negotiation.

Dems need to go for the throat while they have the chance.

Farmboy

To put on my tinfoil cap for a second, is it possible that a lot of Republican officials have been waiting for an excuse to drop Trump? His chances of taking the White House plummeted after the first debate.

That recording is horrible, but I don't think it's even the worst sexism gaffe Trump's made. Remember, this guy is a presumed rapist who's joked about screwing his daughter.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they were looking for an excuse, but the fact that he was already losing post-debate definitely influenced their reaction. More GOPers would be attempting to somehow spin this for him if he were leading in the polls.

Romney leading the charge on big name Republicans distancing themselves from Trump.

As the Democrats what do you do? Do you allow Republicans to distance themselves and continue to focus exclusively on nailing Trump? Or do you use this scandal to finally start attacking the party as a whole?

I'm leaning towards the first option. Democrats have got to know by now that actually governing will be next to impossible if the Republican party is allowed to function as "normal." And that's exactly what they're going to try and do. Starting now, apparently.

Trump is cooked. I say keep an eye on him, keep running against him, But Hillary and the Demz need to turn their attention downticket. Republicans shouldn't be allowed to pivot if their chosen frontrunner won't.

Do the former and then worry about the latter once Hillary is in the oval office. Trump can be a very useful weapon in convincing Dems to give a shit about mid-terms.

Its kind of offensive to me that THIS is what did it.

SMH but also finding all of this hilarious.

Honestly this is what is bothering me more and more. This should have been the reaction to Trump from day fucking one. Or day fucking three, or twenty three, or one hundred and fifty seven. Every single goddamn thing Trump has ever said was deplorable enough to merit utter disqualification and rejection. Republicans are acting like this is some extreme change from Trump's completely consistent behavior and they're going to try to slime their way into getting people to forget about the fact that they were lockstep the rest of the way.

This fucking guy argued that we should kill women and children in war. He literally said we should engage in crimes against humanity and nothing happened. Seriously, what the fuck does it say about America that him saying pussy is what did him in and not the fact that he wanted to target and kill civilians.

Fuck me.

Grief.exe

Bernie is finally helping in Senate races!! He could be a huge boost to millennial voters for both Hillary and, more importantly, to close Senate races in these states.

All these close races in PA, NH, NC, FL, etc would easily get a slight boost with his help.

https://twitter.com/KatieMcGintyPA/status/784770180954152961

Katie McGinty Verified account
‏@KatieMcGintyPA

One month out from Election Day @BernieSanders comes to PA to hit the trail with Katie. First stop: Scranton

CuQQUBVWEAAr5Aw.jpg

If only we could see what Trump feels in his heart :(

I know no one watched the VP debates, but Tim Kaine let us know that what Donald Trump said is what is in his heart by quoting scripture. Take that religious right who still worships the golden calf that is Donald.

Revolver

What a ringing endorsement from Pence. This is amazing. I can't remember a time in my life when a major party VP chastised his running mate.

benjipwns

Banned
Seriously, what the fuck does it say about America that him saying pussy is what did him in and not the fact that he wanted to target and kill civilians.

Fuck me.
The American people support President Obama in the War on Terror Countering Violent Extremism. Also, he was reading from a book when he said that.

What? No.

Ok, that makes sense

Any legitimate reason to bedwet about this, and worry that Trump will pull out with Pence becoming top-pick? I honestly don't know enough about the legal-end of this kind-of thing. :/

Isn't him dropping out potentially really bad for us

So wait, I'm confused...if Donald drops out and Pence becomes top of the ticket, why does it matter that Donald's name is on all the ballots? Wouldn't that slot just become the generic "Republican" placeholder and then the electoral college votes go to whoever's the new nominee?

(clearly I do not have the best grasp of the legalities around this)

Hillary would probably win all 50 states if Trump dropped out. You cannot simply change someone's vote after the fact; every early vote cast for Trump right now counts for Trump, and Trump alone. You can't just give those votes to other candidates. Elections aren't wrestling matches where you can just tag someone else in at the last minute.

All of the currently voting states would be lost to the GOP. Maybe you could get someone like Pence on the ballot for some of the more draconian voting red states (MS has like zero early voting, and we're hardcore about letting people vote absentee as well), but Hillary would easily hit over 400 EVs (close to 500) in this scenario.

And all of this is assuming the court cases they'd need to file (in every single state they could) go their way. We would never postpone the election for a candidate's own self-inflicted bullshit either, so they've got a month to file and defend those cases. They will not all be successful (and again, since this is completely self-inflicted, I don't know if ANY of those cases would go the GOP's way).

The election system is not designed to cover for a party's incompetence. The GOP showed up to the final exam without doing any of their fucking homework, and we're past the drop date for the course. They can continue to stay in the course and earn an F or they can drop out and get an F either way).

Joe Molotov

If only we could see what Trump feels in his heart :(

http://www.theonion.com/article/why-can-i-never-seem-say-right-thing-weeps-trump-p-53408

NEW YORK—Quickly running into his bedroom and slamming the door behind him after hearing public criticism of the statements he made regarding the family of a fallen Muslim-American U.S. Army captain, Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump reportedly threw himself on his bed Tuesday and asked himself “Why can I never seem to say the right thing?” while weeping into his pillow. “Every time I open my mouth, the words come out all wrong,” Trump reportedly said in between long, heaving sobs, his voice muffled by the pillow as he occasionally pounded a balled-up fist into the mattress. “I try so hard, but I just can’t talk right, and everyone gets so mad at me. I just wish I could talk nicely like everyone else.” At press time, an exhausted Trump had reportedly cried himself into a perfectly sound sleep.

I still don't get how the whole "why can't we use nukes" thing didn't tank him

Or the bigotry

Or "climate change is a hoax"
The nuke comment wasn't on audio/video right? I feel that is the main difference, people like to be able to see and hear it themselves. Plus I believe it was someone who said he had said it. As for the climate change I believe a poll came out recently that showed a majority of Americans are suspicious of climate science. The bigotry, unfortunately, only drains you of so much support.

Slayven

What a ringing endorsement from Pence. This is amazing. I can't remember a time in my life when a major party VP chastised his running mate.

I think Pence has checked out. He is done, people hyping him for 2020 after the debate probably convinced him to run out the clock then rebuild.

No need to pile on Trump right now. He's always been his own worst enemy. Just keep it smooth and make him bomb another debate.

Every big campaigner in the camp should be re-writing their stump speeches for the generic D ticket and the local candidates right now though.

sazzy

Someone will have to explain this to me. I do know what gerrymandering means, but don't understand how that will work against the GOP depending on voter turnout.

Lets say there are 2 districts with 100 population each.

R's lead 70/30 in one, and lose 40/60 in another.

They redistrict the population, so they lose 15 in one and gain 15 in another.

So now they win both districts, 55/45 each.

BUT

they now lead by only 10 people in BOTH, whereas before they led by 40 in one.

So if turnout for R's goes down by a little, they risk losing BOTH.

I've put in very simplistic numbers, but that's kind of how it works.

Revolver

CNN was showing a longer version of the video with Billy Bush and Trump walking down the hall with the actress. Extra creepy given the context with Billy asking her which one of them she'd date.

benjipwns

Banned
Hillary would probably win all 50 states if Trump dropped out. You cannot simply change someone's vote after the fact; every early vote cast for Trump right now counts for Trump, and Trump alone. You can't just give those votes to other candidates. Elections aren't wrestling matches where you can just tag someone else in at the last minute.
Not all states are that way, in many you do simply vote for a slate of electors that aren't bound in anyway. In other states they're bound by threat of fines but it's never been enforced.

Trump also can't just drop off the ballot. There's deadlines for that too.

PBY

Banned
Bernie seems kinda pissed about the wikileaks stuff, in the subtext
CuQuINRWAAEp7eA.jpg

edit: I'll go with chilly/passive agressive, pissed not the right word.

teiresias

Bernie seems kinda pissed about the wikileaks stuff, in the subtext
CuQuINRWAAEp7eA.jpg

Fuck him, he dragged this talking point well past the point he could no longer win the primary, and now he's just embarrassed it actually showed her to be more left than she portrays herself as to the general public. He's mad it made him look foolish and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom