• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Also I think Pence is broadly acceptable to republicans, especially the deplorables that dislike gays and brown people and women, so please. No.

@Taniel
Sen. Lisa Murkowski had remained uncommitted; she now states she won't vote Trump. Her Alaska colleague Dan Sullivan just rescinded support.

So the Alaska Senate delegation is now Not Trump.

This also echoes the fact that Hillary is only down by 3 in Alaska.

HylianTom

Banned
Back from walking the dog, I need to post this:

600.jpg

(I've always wanted to post a pic of the Taco Bed in here.)

--

And it's dawning on some at FreeRepublic that this is over. Their site ignored it as long as they could, and now they're going through the stages of grief.

Also I think Pence is broadly acceptable to republicans, especially the deplorables that dislike gays and brown people and women, so please. No.
They're not going to be able to do this for a plethora of reasons, least of which Trump will never, ever step aside. There's no time. There's no money.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Seriously, what would happen if Trump dropped out (I know his ego won't allow it, just curious)? Are there some provisions for ballots in the case of a candidate dropping out, or otherwise not being able to finish the campaign? Would a vote for the Trump-Pence ticket be considered a blanket vote for whatever ticket replaces it? Would the entire campaign have to be done via write-in?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It will be restarted when Trump destroys hillary tomorrow.

Trump: Why haven't you done anything in 30 years?
Hillary: I...
Trump: You are a dumb bitch

*crowd applauds*

Bowdz

Well, there it is.

Again, if the Dems manage to take the House, they need to ram through their agenda with the explicit understanding that they'll lose control in 2018. Hillary needs to be able to run on her actual agenda in 2020 and if we are lucky enough to actually be able to pass it, then there can be no pretense of working with Republicans. They should live by those immortal words from Rahm Emanuel: "We have the votes, fuck em".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They're not going to be able to do this for a plethora of reasons, least of which Trump will never, ever step aside. There's no time. There's no money.

It doesn't matter.

There's only 2 scenarios in which Pence becomes president:

* Trump promises to vacate after he wins. Which makes 0 sense - he would win the election!

* Trump quits, and electors universally choose to vote for Mike Pence as faithless electors, e.g. a massive constitutional crisis happens.

Everyone needs to stop bedwetting about Pence bombing the ticket. It's a cool clickbait story that isn't plausible in any real way.

Even assuming, arguendo, you could replace Trump with Pence on some number of ballots, its completely implausible you could do so in an across-the-country sweep.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It will be restarted when Trump destroys hillary tomorrow.

Trump: Why haven't you done anything in 30 years?
Hillary: I...
Trump: You are a dumb bitch

*crowd applauds*

I'm actually a little shocked at the condemnation from the GOP today. I would have bet on them waiting till Monday, just in the off-chance he were to have a great debate. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased to see it now, and still think it will be even greater if he totally tanks tomorrow night.

Hopfrog

Think about this. Lin-Manuel Miranda hosts SNL tonight.

Anyone up for a Trump-inspired version of The Reynolds Pamphlet?

Boke1879

Quite frankly I feel the debate is an after thought right now.

All of this going on right now I feel will be the story next week

Diablos

I hope you're enjoying this, bro. :D
Yeah bro. This is so exciting. So many developments.

Still wall to wall Hurricane coverage?

PS, I want to see Trump shut it down and just try to keep all his campaign money and act like it's just his personal money now.
Well they had a guy in between epi pen news and hurricane stuff basically saying the GOP is gonna lose PA by even more now because conservative women just won't show up or maybe vote for Hillary. They know they can't even spin their way out of this

benjipwns

Banned
Seriously, what would happen if Trump dropped out (I know his ego won't allow it, just curious)? Are there some provisions for ballots in the case of a candidate dropping out, or otherwise not being able to finish the campaign? Would a vote for the Trump-Pence ticket be considered a blanket vote for whatever ticket replaces it? Would the entire campaign have to be done via write-in?
Technically, yes they can replace them it's just difficult and it's way too late to do it properly.

They would simply have to make clear that though it says Donald Trump on the ballot, it's actually a vote for [whoever] and then order the electors to vote as so.

But if he won, Trump has first shot at some of those electors among other things which would lead to lawsuits, it'd make Bush v. Gore look like a simpler case than it was.

Now, if they did this say, a month ago, it would have been far easier to just replace him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom