• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
zaWYBTh.jpg

Lyin' Ted better start cold calling more. Trump's gonna need the money.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
They are uniting the party against Trumps, even if that means getting decimated in the election

The damage is done, and I can't imagine any objective member of the RNC think Trump can win.Pulling support might allow them to hold onto some close senate and house seats.

Fladam

Hot damn this thread is moving briskly for a Saturday afternoon! SNL is likely being re-written at this very moment.

benjipwns

Banned
This is what I was wondering about. Hasn't the Trump campaign already picked or are going to pick their own electors in most states? I mean I wouldn't be surprised if they were incompetent enough to pick a bunch that would vote faithlessly, but there will surely be plenty of die-hard True Believers and there's no avoiding a clusterfuck split of Trump / Emergency Candidate electoral votes in every state.
I just assumed that like everything else the Trump team didn't do anything and is just taking some generic GOP list that already existed.

You did have that guy a couple months back who was a GOP elector saying he wasn't going to vote for Trump before he resigned.

Hopfrog

It's mid october. Waiting a week is fatal. there isn't time to roll up a new campaign strategy, design new material and ship it out in time to do anything.

This is clearly cutting their losses as much as possible, in order to redirect funds and resources to the downballot. Trump is DONE and there is no salvaging this.

Everything is too late at this point, this is glorious.

People. Are. Voting.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Or it could make them harder to hold onto if turnout depresses.

This is going to cost them seats BC of infighting.

But could save them in 2 years and at the state level for the next few cycles. It's what they should have done 6 months ago.

Now, now they fucked.

Can someone with photoshop skills make a parody of the TRUMP PENCE yard sign logo that says SEXUAL ASSAULT instead? Or maybe TRUMP PENCE Grab them in the pussy instead of make America great again?

Trump will just say this is the establishment letting him alone for not falling in line with the status quo.

He is effectively now an Independent with the R logo tacked on for show.

Reps have no voter base now, only hard-core christians and white dudes.

Both are destroyed

Major LDS paper in Utah condemns Trump.

Link to the editorial board op-ed in the Deseret News

The paper keeps away from direct endorsements for pretty obvious reasons given their ownership, but they spit some hot fire here:

The belief that the party and the platform matter more than the character of the candidate ignores the wisdom of the ages that, “when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.” (Proverbs 29:2)

I think this is the the giant problem that the video makes for the GOP. Trump isn't just rough, unpolished, or crass and you can't spin him as such after seeing this video. The only reaction is that he's a wicked, evil person broken at the very core. Religious conservatives will reflexively back away from that.

Brian Sandoval, governor of Nevada, now officially saying he won't vote Trump. This is the tipping point folks. This is the day Hillary secured the presidency.

Honestly, I think it was secured the day Republicans nominated Trump.

Hillary isn't the best campaigner. She's smart, driven, but can come off as robotic. Bill and Obama without the presidency would still draw people to them. She'd fade into that crowd.

Trump changes that normal dynamic. He's more at ease talking to large crowds. Can make people feel like he's talking to them (because they're racists), but it turns out that, even in America, you have to back that affability with substance.

Or at least quality substance. Not the vile ooze currently leaking from Trumps mouth.

Tamanon

Banned
The trick is that they're trying to make it about the words, when it's really about the sentiment.

Nobody really cares about the word "pussy", but the concept of "grabbing them by the pussy" and them not being able to do anything about it because of your wealth and power is sickening.

This is losing the GOP a generation of white college-educated women. I don't see how they ever come back from this nationally without an alignment that their core supporters won't allow.

sazzy

That Donald is a habitual rapist is pretty much a given at this point.

Lets take a moment to send a giant FUCK YOU to all the enablers of this pathetic 70 year old rapist .

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It is always weird knowing how fucking big this will be in history books. This is all fucking insane.

Honestly, even if this was essentially the tipping point that lead to the destruction of the Republican party, the history books will just remember Donald Trump as a whole as what did it. This specific event won't get remembered, because it contains the word "pussy", and you don't put that in textbooks that you give to kids.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yep. People already voted for Trump. Wouldn't be happy if their votes got turned into electors for someone else.

The only way Pence gets in is either 1) Trump agrees to resign for Pence and everyone believes him and then Trump wins the election, or 2) Trump agrees to resign, and the RNC convinces 100% of the electors to faithlessly vote for Pence instead of the actual named candidate and then wins lawsuits in every single one of 25 states which have laws against faithless electors.

Ecotic

What does everyone think the odds are as of now that Trump drops out? This crisis is worsening for him by the hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom