• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Speaking of lawsuits..

With SCOTUS sitting at 4-4, I'm damn glad Obama and Reid have tilted most of the appeals courts.

*whistles*

Well, there it is.

Again, if the Dems manage to take the House, they need to ram through their agenda with the explicit understanding that they'll lose control in 2018. Hillary needs to be able to run on her actual agenda in 2020 and if we are lucky enough to actually be able to pass it, then there can be no pretense of working with Republicans. They should live by those immortal words from Rahm Emanuel: "We have the votes, fuck em".

Won't the Republicans just filibuster everything?

The GOP right now.
tumblr_n2i6pdeMvv1s8hnhko1_500.gif

Diablos

What in the FUCK.

GOP must be having an internal war at the moment. This makes no sense

Edit: I read that wrong. I guess they're going to launch a downballot initiative. Maybe RMoney will be the figurehead.

It's still stupid. It's basically an admission that they lost control.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Well, there it is.

Again, if the Dems manage to take the House, they need to ram through their agenda with the explicit understanding that they'll lose control in 2018. Hillary needs to be able to run on her actual agenda in 2020 and if we are lucky enough to actually be able to pass it, then there can be no pretense of working with Republicans. They should live by those immortal words from Rahm Emanuel: "We have the votes, fuck em".

If they retake the house, then it's going to be by several moderate Democrats.

... Just trying to keep expectations in check.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Seriously, what would happen if Trump dropped out (I know his ego won't allow it, just curious)? Are there some provisions for ballots in the case of a candidate dropping out, or otherwise not being able to finish the campaign? Would a vote for the Trump-Pence ticket be considered a blanket vote for whatever ticket replaces it? Would the entire campaign have to be done via write-in?

I mean, this has happened before. Mel Carnahan died before the election and they could not replace him. His wife was appointed in his stead.

They cannot remove Donald Trump/Mike Pence from the ballot. They can hope for some kind of universal sweep of faithless electors who all say that a vote for Trump is actually a vote for Pence, but its legitimately not worth wasting political capital and creating a constitutional crisis over. They're going to lose anyways and they stand to lose a LOT by trying to resort to jiggery-pokery.

Drakeon

Brian Sandoval, governor of Nevada, now officially saying he won't vote Trump. This is the tipping point folks. This is the day Hillary secured the presidency.

How the hell do you even run a dead campaign like this for the next 30 days? This is some Snake going through the hallway but for days on end type of shit.

The Victory Fund IS Trump's campaign. That's all he has. There is nothing else. Like, at all. Without it, he' nothing more than a rally machine who is also a racist, sexist Nazi.

Hahahahaha

Drakeon

... Just trying to keep expectations in check.
This is unprecedented, we have no idea what kind of effect this has down ballot. Imagine if 20% of Trump supporters stay home?

Diablos

So the RNC is trying to force Trump out. Make him realize it's pointless, so just leave.
Yeah they're trying to isolate him. But you figure his ego is so fucking big even if he loses the debate, I don't see him coming to the realization that he's not wanted or he just won't care. It would take him at least a couple weeks to even consider it and that even if he did drop out or promised that he would step aside, there would not be enough time for the GOP to come up with anything else to make an impact on how voters will turn out. The messaging will be a disaster.

Downballot or bust for GOP.

So I stand by what I said initially, yes, this party is at war with themselves

But why? This hurts downticket races.

The email they got says "wait until further notice" so I don't think the program is permanently shut down. But they'll probably wait a few days (if not a week) to figure out how to proceed from here. This group does mailers and shit, right? Can you imagine how awkward it would be to send out thousands of Trump mailers if he dropped out (which won't happen, but still)?

They'll back off until the smoke clears
or forever if more videos keep dropping.

HTupolev

Maybe. It's a very volatile situation and it's hard to guess what exactly will happen. If a significant number of points worth of Trump supporters just bail from voting, the GOP's gerrymandering could collapse into a flood of blue.

Emarv

Major LDS paper in Utah condemns Trump.

UTAH, BABY. WE COMING!!!

Can you believe Evan McMullin has a chance to actually win a state? lol

Ecotic

At this point I'm hoping for the best scenario for Dems to run up the score and take back the House. But I don't know what that scenario is. Maybe drop out in two weeks when it's way, way too late to do anything?

Technically, yes they can replace them it's just difficult and it's way too late to do it properly.

They would simply have to make clear that though it says Donald Trump on the ballot, it's actually a vote for [whoever] and then order the electors to vote as so.

But if he won, Trump has first shot at some of those electors among other things which would lead to lawsuits, it'd make Bush v. Gore look like a simpler case than it was.

Now, if they did this say, a month ago, it would have been far easier to just replace him.

This is what I was wondering about. Hasn't the Trump campaign already picked or are going to pick their own electors in most states? I mean I wouldn't be surprised if they were incompetent enough to pick a bunch that would vote faithlessly, but there will surely be plenty of die-hard True Believers and there's no avoiding a clusterfuck split of Trump / Emergency Candidate electoral votes in every state.

The email they got says "wait until further notice" so I don't think the program is permanently shut down. But they'll probably wait a few days (if not a week) to figure out how to proceed from here. This group does mailers and shit, right? Can you imagine how awkward it would be to send out thousands of Trump mailers if he dropped out (which won't happen, but still)?

They'll back off until the smoke clears
or forever if more videos keep dropping.

It's mid october. Waiting a week is fatal. there isn't time to roll up a new campaign strategy, design new material and ship it out in time to do anything.

This is clearly cutting their losses as much as possible, in order to redirect funds and resources to the downballot. Trump is DONE and there is no salvaging this.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Maybe. It's a very volatile situation and it's hard to guess what exactly will happen. If a significant number of points worth of Trump supporters just bail from voting, the GOP's gerrymandering could collapse into a flood of blue.

Yes, but those candidates that will win in a wave election are not "Let's pass Single Payer!" Democrats.

But, unlike Republicans, they can actually negotiate in good faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom