• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow has Rudy "Yeah, I fucked my cousin and then divorced her on life TV without her knowing, 9/11, baby!" trying to defend Trump sexually assaulting women. He is the only Trump surrogate willing to go on TV tomorrow, it's going to escalate into the worst thing possible.

Mike Pence might get replaced by Newt Gingrich or General Michael Flynn.

And then Trump is going to accuse Hillary of being a rape enabler at a town hall because Hillary was assigned to be the defensive attorney and because of her husband.

Today might be the most boring day of the weekend.

How GOP Voters (particularly, those who Voted for Trump already) respond, will determine if the GOP, as it is now, will continue to exist as a party.

Something like this could very well happen if a party undergoes realignment (which is pretty much what is happening right now).

I don't see how it can.

We have the establishment and moderates throwing trump under a bus, completely disgusted and disavowing him publicly.

meanwhile the "base" (or at least a significant fraction thereof) is STILL backing trump. Guiliani is talking shit about "going to war" against half the party.

Where do you go from there? you reject those people and you lose half the base. the GOP is irrelevant for at least a decade. Embrace them and pretend all this never happens and you get Trump II: electric boogaloo in 2020. Hell, Trump is a natural evolution of what happened with palin in 08, and santorum/gingrich/cain in 2012...just better funded.

Boke1879

I just don't know how Trump brings any of this up at a Town Hall without looking foolish.

I did read something that Hillary will talk about his comments from the tape for the first time on the debate stage.

I'm sure she'll frame it well and I can already suspect after that Trump will be furious.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
this craziness is giving me way more anxiety than i could have thought.

if they actually swap in a real candidate for the republicans at the last minute...

Veelk

Banned
If Trump is down 10+ points in the polls, all his major endorsements have dropped him, and he's the embarrassment of the GOP, do you think there even will be a debate 3?

What would even be the point of him going to it?

Clinton v. Pence or Clinton v. Cruz?

Oh, I don't think there'd be any point in the sense of turning the election around. I just think he'll drag this out as long as possible.

Which I think might be a good thing in the long run. I fucking hate this election cycle at this point. But the deeper that knife is buried in the GOP, the better.

ampere

My friends and I (and I'm sure others) have talked about how weird politics is going to get once the candidates grew up with social media to dig around in. This election feels like a crazy outlier now, but I'm worried that it'll seem normal in about 30 years.

Eh

A candidate having dirt about them making dumb message board posts at age 15 isn't the same as a 60 year old man bragging about being able to sexually harass women and get away with it because he's rich. Trump is an extreme outlier, he's not a normal person and he's representative of how psycho the GOP's base has become

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Know what the perfect response from Clinton would be if they bring up the rape case?

"Well Donald, if you had taken Mr. Kahn's advice and read the Constitution, you would know that the sixth amendment grants everyone the right to a fair trial..."

Syncytia

if they actually swap in a real candidate for the republicans at the last minute...

Your anxiety is just your initial fear. It's too late to get a new candidate. Early voting has started in some states, quite a few more are starting this week. The logistics are impossible. And what do you do about people who already voted for Trump? Just say "well they wanted the GOP nominee" ....? That wouldn't hold any water.

Know what the perfect response from Clinton would be if they bring up the rape case?

"Well Donald, if you had taken Mr. Kahn's advice and read the Constitution, you would know that the sixth amendment grants everyone the right to a fair trial..."

Literally 0% of independents care about the constitution and no Republicans either. It's a loser argument.

Boke1879

Does Hillary even need to bring it up? It's the elephant in the room.

Why not frame it. She's most likely the first person that will be asked about it. Get ahead of it with a statement AT the debate that millions will be watching and go from there.

We know why you are having your group therapy sessions in broad daylight. :)

The true test of if Trump still trusts Bannon is if he goes there.
I don't think he trusts anyone outside the family at this point.

I do think Pence is seriously considering dropping out.

Which would be a fun time.
I do too.. this is just going to become the biggest clusterfuck in the history of all clusterfucks

They can't legally do anything.. it's too late. They have to pay their pound of flesh.

BigAl1992

You're going to hear people tell you this multiple times, so i'll add my voice to the mix: it is legally impossible for them to remove Donald. The deadline has long passed and the ballots are already printed, with voting having already started in several states. They're stuck with him now.

Syncytia

Eh

A candidate having dirt about them making dumb message board posts at age 15 isn't the same as a 60 year old man bragging about being able to sexually harass women and get away with it because he's rich. Trump is an extreme outlier, he's not a normal person and he's representative of how psycho the GOP's base has become

This. Also if I ran for President in the future there isn't magically anything like this that would be possible to find because it doesn't exist. It will really be a true character test in the future when this type of stuff gets brought up.

This is how it would go:
"Internet posts as a teenager shows this person in racist/misogynistic/etc.
Their current comments show the same thing. He has not changed."

Well maybe not, because that's exactly how it should have gone for Trump. But I do believe the HRC hate / smear machine is playing a big part in this election, there are a lot of Trump supporters how aren't for Trump, they're just against Hillary. We'll see what happens to them once the dust from this weekend settles.

Strimei

They can't, really.

It'd require Trump to either withdraw willingly (fat chance of that), die, or be declared mentally incompetent.

Ballots are already printed and being printed, votes are already being cast, and any votes for Trump, as I understand it, wouldn't go to the replacement.

Also there's less than a month left now, very little time to even prepare and run.

There's also Trump's fanbase who would riot.

And if Trump is forced, you can bet good money he'll sue.

kess

I'm starting to bedwet that they will actually replace trump with pence.

And he will feel the wrath of conspiracy theorists and general assholes (read: the base) who believe the fix is in for Donald...

...who was denied by the powers that be, the establishment, the politically correct, the Washington insiders.

The GOP will reap the whirlwind. It's all coming back home to roost.

Ballots are already printed and being printed, votes are already being cast, and any votes for Trump, as I understand it, wouldn't go to the replacement..

They do not. So whoever could potentially replace Trump would have a 40% vote deficit right out of the gate in early voting states. Assuming they could even get the replacement on the ballot at all (which they couldn't)

sphagnum

Banned
I'm starting to bedwet that they will actually replace trump with pence.

Do you really think that if this happened it would help anything for them? Trump's supporters would be furious. It would be even more of a landslide for Crooked Hillary.

AniHawk

The backlash if they replace trump will be unprecedented. People will either not vote or just write Trump's name in.

they wouldn't have to write in trump's name - they'd have to write in pence's name. the ensuing chaos would be a shitload of angry people protest voting for trump, others protest voting for mcmullin or johnson, and hillary walking away with 400+ evs.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Joy Reid asked Hugh Hewitt if the reason he doesn't support Trump anymore is because his comments went too far, or because he was worried about Trump not winning, and he said (unsurprisingly) that it was the latter.

At least he's an honest POS (well, in this case).

Veelk

Banned
Here's the thing I question with idea of the Rep Nomination change: What kind of precedent does it set?

Like it or not, Trump was elected legitimately. The....people chose him. I mean, that's how it works, right? People show up and vote for who they want and they chose Trump.

And there are no rules, barring prosecution I guess, that would make a elected nomination ineligible for candidacy, right? So the RNC have no legal ability to oust Trump from his position. So if they were to try and do so, they're basically saying that the people's votes do not matter for the party's nomination for president.

I...honestly don't know if that'd be worse for the GOP or the US as a whole.

I do, however, hope that in the following years, there are new rules made so that something like Trump can never happen again.

Syncytia

they wouldn't have to write in trump's name - they'd have to write in pence's name. the ensuing chaos would be a shitload of angry people protest voting for trump, others protest voting for mcmullin or johnson, and hillary walking away with 400+ evs.

If Trump stays in (he will) and Pence drops, trying to run a write in campaign will be hilariously disastrous, even if it's for someone other than Pence.

Syncytia

Are early voters allowed to amend their votes?

Just wondering if a Trump voter could regret their vote after yesterday's news and have it fixed.

If it's in person I don't see how you could change it.

Mail in, if you haven't sent it in the post the only thing you could is not send it. You can't erase / mark twice.

GutsOfThor

Really hoping that Clinton doesn't bring this up and instead lets an audience member, moderator or trump himself bring it up instead.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If it's in person I don't see how you could change it.

Mail in, if you haven't sent it in the post the only thing you could is not send it. You can't erase / mark twice.

If you fuck up your ballot, I'm fairly certain you can get a replacement, but you have to bring your old one in to get a replacement.

studyguy

Pence isn't on the ballots it's over. The train left the station ages ago. No need to bed wet, just bask in the warm glow of the dumpster fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom