• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Trump gets blown out (likely) and takes the blame for dems controlling the house, senate, and supreme court (also likely) Pence comes out smelling like roses for rejecting the candidate that handed the democrats control of the entire government.

He can spin joining the ticket in the first place, but riding all that out looks worse for him than just throwing in the towel and saying that this campaign isn't salvageable.

There's a large part of the Republican primary base that will blame Pence for betraying Trump. And he'd need those people to win the nomination as he'd otherwise just be a tarnished evangelical (or the catholic equivalent) regional candidate. Pence dropping out would be immensely risky if he wants to be President. To be honest he has no future either way, he's just picking his poison.

Replacing Trump isn't about winning or even trying to win, it's about putting a Republican in place that will lose with dignity.A party guy sees the difference to his party between a 15 point loss and a 8 point loss-Trump doesn't even see the difference between losing by 2 and losing by 20.

This is a hail mary attempt at damage control (that won't/can't work).

If Trump gets blown out (likely) and takes the blame for dems controlling the house, senate, and supreme court (also likely) Pence comes out smelling like roses for rejecting the candidate that handed the democrats control of the entire government.

He can spin joining the ticket in the first place, but riding all that out looks worse for him than just throwing in the towel and saying that this campaign isn't salvageable.

He can't stop a white nationalist from getting the nomination in 2020.

Only a sweeping rules change including superdelegates can do that.

So, I really don't get the panic. Because, Trump won't quit. They can't replace him. He can only make an ass of himself tomorrow. She can take the high ground. The gender gap is going to explode. We're going to take the Senate. And, like, get damn close to the House too. We got this fam. We gonna do great things.

I love everyone.

There's a large part of the Republican primary base that will blame Pence for betraying Trump. And he'd need those people to win the nomination as he'd otherwise just be a tarnished evangelical (or the catholic equivalent) regional candidate. Pence dropping out would be immensely risky if he wants to be President. To be honest he has no future either way, he's just picking his poison.

in that case the question becomes do you want to be viable in the primary? or viable in the general?

with enough money and establishment support, you can survive a primary. Romney proved this, the base loathed the guy.

The general though? you get taken to the cleaners on being a trump backer in 2020 after he gets blown out in 2016 and you're not getting anywhere.

This shit aint checkers, step your game up.

Replacing Trump isn't about winning or even trying to win, it's about putting a Republican in place that will lose with dignity.A party guy sees the difference to his party between a 15 point loss and a 8 point loss-Trump doesn't even see the difference between losing by 2 and losing by 20.

This is a hail mary attempt at damage control (that won't/can't work).

But they can't replace him. All they can do is promise mass faithless elector shenanigans that would do little to nothing to salvage the downticket (it'd probably hurt it more considering a lot of those voters like Trump).

in that case the question becomes do you want to be viable in the primary? or viable in the general?

The latter is utterly pointless without the former. Go ask Jeb.

kess

enjoy

CuSv8fAUAAEn8SN.jpg

Yeah, using Romney as an example of money and party backing being enough to carry the primaries doesn't really work when, most recently, it didn't work for Jeb!

Romney getting shepherded through the GOP primary in 2012 and then losing to Obama in the GE is what convinced the type of GOP voters who are Trump fans to make sure to vote against the party's golden boy candidates in the first place!

The latter is utterly pointless without the former. Go ask Jeb.

This assumes Jeb! was viable in the general.

Yeah, using Romney as an example of money and party backing being enough to carry the primaries doesn't really work when, most recently, it didn't work for Jeb!

Jeb! wasn't in the same position as Romney. He had several establishment politicians endorsed by various fractions of the party that were stronger candidates than he was. Rubio, Cruz, Kasich, maybe Christie.

Jeb! also had a lot of superPAC money, but his fundraising was abysmal- he wasn't connecting to voters at ALL...primary or otherwise. this means he could run ads, but had no ground game. We're past the point where broadcast network ads are any kind of gamebreaker.

2020 you're going to see the RNC revise the rules to that candidates like Trump don't happen again. Far less candidates on stage, far less WTA states. In that environment a stronger GE candidate like pence is going to thrive.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Mike Pence drop out because his Evangelical base won't take this kind of rhetoric. That will just allow him to run for Indiana Senator against Joe Donnelly in 2018.

He might as well just do what he can to stay relevant in Indiana. He was never going to be president. Dropping might give him the Bess chance to be Senator.

Anyone who thought Pence had a chance in 2020 must have only heard of him or seen him for the first time at the VP debate. Dude was on the razors edge of losing his re-election in fucking Indiana of all places. He never had a chance to be President.

All talk of panic is silly. Trump could drop out. Pence could drop out. They'd be even more fucked. They are fucked in all scenarios.

There is no unfucking this chicken.

Blader

For those saying Clinton knows the question is coming and therefore has a solid answer in the waiting, recall how long it took her to finally give a good answer on the email server.

That's because she genuinely believed she did nothing wrong in regards to the emails (and lo and behold, that's what the investigation discovered as well).

Hillary has had about half her life to think about and respond to accusations of rape, sexual assault and infidelity levied at Bill. If anything, I'd say it's less of an issue of "does she have an answer for it" and more of an issue of "does she feel comfortable giving that answer."

This assumes Jeb! was viable in the general.

He's a textbook case of how you're wrong. You said "with enough money and establishment support, you can survive a primary." Well it's not true. And Jeb did build his campaign positions with an eye towards the general, whether or not he would have won doesn't really matter for these purposes. Pence certainly wouldn't be a good general election candidate either, probably worse than Jeb.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Mike Pence drop out because his Evangelical base won't take this kind of rhetoric. That will just allow him to run for Indiana Senator against Joe Donnelly in 2018.

He might as well just do what he can to stay relevant in Indiana. He was never going to be president. Dropping might give him the Bess chance to be Senator.

You underestimate the shittiness of many Conservative Evangelicals.

I am still in awe of today. I cannot believe what happened actually happened. It's just beyond comprehension.

I'm also pissed. Because, the GOP doesn't give a shit if you attack immigrants, Muslims, or women of color. They only care if you attack white women....and only if it means you cannot win. And this is not okay!

Of course, I'm not going to look an orange turd in the mouth, because he'll probably spit Tic Tacs on me or whatever. But, seriously, ridiculous.

I was worried about Pence five days ago, not anymore. Dude's got Trump stench for the rest of his life.

He's not built to win a Republican primary, and if he did he'd be a gift for Hillary. Trump's running mate, a super conservative unpopular Governor with radical religious beliefs? There's no reason to worry about him.

watershed

Banned
He's a textbook case of how you're wrong. You said "with enough money and establishment support, you can survive a primary." Well it's not true. And Jeb did build his campaign positions with an eye towards the general, whether or not he would have won doesn't really matter for these purposes. Pence certainly wouldn't be a good general election candidate either, probably worse than Jeb.

One of his biggest mistakes was thinking that republican primary voters wanted to vote for someone with the personality of cardboard. Maybe he was courageous and trying to move the GOP towards moderate positions and away from the hard right, maybe he thought all that money would win him primaries, or that the GOP was ready another Bush. But he was wrong on all counts.

Boke1879

I am still in awe of today. I cannot believe what happened actually happened. It's just beyond comprehension.

I'm also pissed. Because, the GOP doesn't give a shit if you attack immigrants, Muslims, or women of color. They only care if you attack white women....and only if it means you cannot win. And this is not okay!

Of course, I'm not going to look an orange turd in the mouth, because he'll probably spit Tic Tacs on me or whatever. But, seriously, ridiculous.

I honestly can't believe yesterday happened and by extension today. NO ONE expected this. We anticipated a boring weekend before the debate. Boy were we wrong.

Veelk

Banned

Republicans just have a collective problem of empathy. A few times, a republican has been forced to deal with minority issues on the daily show, they came away with the understanding that their people. It would only be extended to that minority though. So if they worked with hispanics, they would continue to not care about gay people, for example.

Combine that with an ability and a will to rewrite reality in their minds as they go, we get the insanity of the GOP. That's why it took Trump saying he'd love to sexually assault white women. All of them know white women in their lives, and they cannot spin this any way to make it not seem what it is. If you notice, a lot of the GOP members who pulled their endorsement mention how they have a daughter or sister or whatever when they did so. They need to establish a personal link before they realize the problem.

In the end the GOP was fine putting an unstable sexual predator who surrounds himself with white supremacists in the most powerful position in the world just so they can cut taxes. Democrats just need to bang that drum.

That's some truth right there. It's incredibly frustrating.

One of his biggest mistakes was thinking that republican primary voters wanted to vote for someone with the personality of cardboard. Maybe he was courageous and trying to move the GOP towards moderate positions and away from the hard right, maybe he thought all that money would win him primaries, or that the GOP was ready another Bush. But he was wrong on all counts.

This was Jeb!'s problem. He wasn't just not viable in the primary, he had zero charisma and wouldn't have been viable in the GE at *all*.

Romney did a lot right- the guy had at least some clue what he was doing and came across as more than competent in debates- Jeb! never did. He was lured into blindingly obvious rhetorical traps by not only Trump, but Rubio also.

Romney had money, but had it in the right places. He had funds coming in directly to his campaign that he could use to staff offices and build something resembling a ground game..Jeb! didn't.

Romney consolidated establishment support EARLY- there WAS no other candidate in any shape to run against him with any kind of support inside the party. Who was his competition? Santorum? Gingrich? Cain? Bachmann? none of these were ever going to last more than a few months before flaming out. Jeb! wasn't in this position.

What I SAID, was that an establishment politician with the right kind of support (i.e. the vast majority of the establishment behind him, not a handful of superPACs) and enough money (both coming in the campaign, and via PACs) could survive a primary long enough to be viable in the GE. Jeb! was not this person, he fucked ALL of this up.

Veelk

Banned
The only "establishment" guy that had anything resembling a shot was Rubio. Christie took real good care of that.

And then Christie turned into Trump's toadie.

I still wonder how that actually happened. What the hell did Trump offer Christie to make him sell his soul like he did.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I still wonder how that actually happened. What the hell did Trump offer Christie to make him sell his soul like he did.

A job I presume. Christie is done in politics after his term as governor ends, dude has bills to pay.

Christie was desperate and this was his only hope of having a political future. This was also pre-David Duke and were it not for that the party would have likely coalesced around Trump then.

cabinet position, or legal position in trump's organization or using Trump's connections if he lost.

there's no political post Christie could have hit that's higher than NJ governor either way- ingratiating himself to trump was his best move, whether they won or lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom