• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syncytia

If you fuck up your ballot, I'm fairly certain you can get a replacement, but you have to bring your old one in to get a replacement.

I'd love to see someone try and say they fucked up their ballot because they voted Trump. Either way, the number of people voting Trump who already marked their ballot and hadn't sent it, and now want to change their mind must be quite small.

AniHawk

what i like about the atmosphere surrounding the second debate is that no one is really interested in seeing how well trump performs compared to expectations, like in the first debate. people are expecting disaster

Vahagn

So guys, remember that time that we all thought that Hillary should be the nominee because she had the best chance of beating trump?

Fuck, we could have nominated Elizabeth Warren or Common and won this election lol.

Tarydax

Banned
Tomorrow has Rudy "Yeah, I fucked my cousin and then divorced her on life TV without her knowing, 9/11, baby!" trying to defend Trump sexually assaulting women.

I knew he was an asshole, but I didn't know he did something like that. That's Trump level shit right there. No wonder they get along so well.

Iolo

Really hoping that Clinton doesn't bring this up and instead lets an audience member, moderator or trump himself bring it up instead.

I kind of suspect it's going to be the first question.

Also I thought Hillary should be the nominee because she would be the best President, but that's just me

Syncytia

So guys, remember that time that we all thought that Hillary should be the nominee because she had the best chance of beating trump?

Fuck, we could have nominated Elizabeth Warren or Common and won this election lol.

We're alright as it is. Hillary will be good. Hillary being somewhat moderate (in the eyes of reasonable people) should help out down ballot. Someone like Warren or Bernie on the ballot would cause a YUGE push for down ballot R votes by the GOP.

Boke1879

I know some people aren't bedwetting here in that the GOP is literally about to have a civil war. I know we aren't suggesting that somehow WE will be the losers in this.

Sign of the day:

https://twitter.com/sportstalkmatt/status/784935953328594944

CuSnFYlVMAA2ChY.jpg

Ugh I'm honestly not all that excited for the debate...I'm really not champing at the bit to see Trump sling out a bunch of garbage about Hillary enabling rapists. I expect she'll handle it fine but just hearing that shit is going to make my skeleton want to crawl out of my body.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Look here Canadian, we don't mettle in your curl offs to become prime minister contests
Curl offs, shows what you know

The office of Prime Minister is decided through round robin hockey fights on a frozen Saskatchewan pond, just outside of Humboldt

tuck in your jersey, fool

jbug617

Banned
Tomorrow has Rudy "Yeah, I fucked my cousin and then divorced her on life TV without her knowing, 9/11, baby!" trying to defend Trump sexually assaulting women. He is the only Trump surrogate willing to go on TV tomorrow, it's going to escalate into the worst thing possible.

Mike Pence might get replaced by Newt Gingrich or General Michael Flynn.

And then Trump is going to accuse Hillary of being a rape enabler at a town hall because Hillary was assigned to be the defensive attorney and because of her husband.

Today might be the most boring day of the weekend.

Rudy is going to talk about Bill

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
In other news, I wonder when it will start to sink in that we are about to elect the first Women in the 200+ years of history in this country?

Even if somehow the GOP signaled that Pence was now the true top of the ticket - which isn't going to happen because after over a year of this shit, you people should know that Trump will never admit failure, never ever ever, and thus he will never withdraw and say "vote for me, it's a vote for Pence" and hold himself to those words - Pence would be a guy on the top of the ticket who won ZERO, count 'em, ZERO FUCKING DELEGATES in the 2016 Republican primaries. He would have no legitimacy whatsofuckingever. NONE.

Even if part of the party was okay with throwing out the primary results completely to support an illegitimate nominee, there is a significant part of the party who is so pro-Trump AND as ready to burn down the whole party as he is! Pence would win fewer than ten states as the Trump vote goes out of its way to somehow fuck Pence and the party by writing in Trump, voting another way, etc. These people are crazy, but they care a whole lot, and they are vengeful.

Like, I expect some posters to bedwet about a Pence presidency run in the last month, but not Kev. I can never tell if he's being serious or sarcastic, though, so maybe his posts are simply the latter.

literally no political downside for him. if he's thinking about a 2020 run, it has to be on the table. 2016 is a lost cause.

Directly stabbing Trump in the back has plenty of downsides to someone wanting to win a Republican Presidential nomination. If Pence steps down his political career is likely over. (It's probably over anyway)

NeoXChaos

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/10/08/the_house_may_be_in_play_132008.html

The scenario for Republicans would be akin to 1974. Thanks to Watergate that year, Republicans were wiped out across the board, even though President Ford was reasonably popular. Democrats gained 49 seats, inflating their numbers to 291, roughly the levels found in the Great Society/New Deal congresses.

It wasn’t that the country suddenly discovered an affinity for Democrats. Democrats received only 970,000 more votes than they had received in the previous midterm election of 1970. But Republicans hemorrhaged over 3 million votes. In other words, people didn’t flip their votes so much as a demoralized and disgusted GOP base opted to stay home.

Take Indiana. The Hoosier State was swingier back in those days, and Republicans entered the election holding seven of the state’s 11 seats. After the dust cleared in 1974, they found their numbers reduced to just two.

Some of the Democrats’ pickups were predictable, such as Andrew Jacobs winning back the seat that he had lost in the 1972 Nixon landslide, or Earl Landgrebe, who had won a fluky 11-way election in 1968, succumbing to the wave. Others were not. Consider William Bray, who had been elected to the House in 1950, and represented a district that had given Richard Nixon 74 percent of the vote. His opponent only increased the Democratic vote total by 3,815 votes from 1970. But Bray’s vote total collapsed by 43,979 as Republican base voters stayed home. He lost.

Another example was Rep. David Dennis, who had been one of Nixon’s strongest supporters on the House Judiciary Committee. In a district that Nixon had carried with 55 percent of the vote in 1968, Dennis’ loyalty seemed like a safe bet. It wasn’t. Phillip Sharp increased the Democratic vote total by 6,547, but Dennis’ declined by 9,738. He lost.

Not all districts followed this pattern, but the general outcome was that the Republican vote share declined in some heavily Republican districts, and there were many losses in districts previously thought to be safe for their party.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Yup. Rudy is definitely going to talk about Bill. That's probably why Kellyanne got booted out. This isn't her idea.

Why do people think this? Kellyanne has brought up Bill a thousand times in the past. Why would she suddenly shut up about it now?

Directly stabbing Trump in the back has plenty of downsides to someone wanting to win a Republican Presidential nomination. If Pence steps down his political career is likely over. (It's probably over anyway)

If Trump gets blown out (likely) and takes the blame for dems controlling the house, senate, and supreme court (also likely) Pence comes out smelling like roses for rejecting the candidate that handed the democrats control of the entire government.

He can spin joining the ticket in the first place, but riding all that out looks worse for him than just throwing in the towel and saying that this campaign isn't salvageable.

Boke1879

Why do people think this? Kellyanne has brought up Bill a thousand times in the past. Why would she suddenly shut up about it now?

Quite frankly because I don't think SHE ever thought it was going to be a viable attack from Trump. The surrogates spinning shit is one thing. I mean even Newt. Newt fucking Gingrich said it would be a bad idea to attack Hillary using Bill. His surrogates have always deflected while Trump stayed on message for the most part.

Trump has to go nuclear. It's his only option right now.

Ruffini's twitter feed is an insight into the delusions of NeverTrumpers. He's actually buying into the possibility of a faithless elector conspiracy.

Also shows how the people we all thought were "reasonable" conservatives would back a guy like Pence or Cruz in a heartbeat. This goes for the Jeb guy Keeping it 1600 had on their livestream. It's nice to commeserate around Trump, but it doesn't change the serious ideological divides with lots of these folks.

Boke1879

First time hanging out with liberals/Democrats? It's what we do.

I mean I get that. But this is textbook dem/leftist bedwetting.

Our side isn't the one imploding in front of the fucking nation right now. I get that this is all very incendiary and unpredictable. But all dems have to do is appear united and stick to their positive messaging and hitting where it counts and we're good.

If Trump gets blown out (likely) and takes the blame for dems controlling the house, senate, and supreme court (also likely) Pence comes out smelling like roses for rejecting the candidate that handed the democrats control of the entire government.

He can spin joining the ticket in the first place, but riding all that out looks worse for him than just throwing in the towel and saying that this campaign isn't salvageable.

The problem is the 35-40% of the party's voters who would see him as part of the reason Trump lost and blame him for being a cuck. He ain't making it through a primary with 2/5 of his own electorate voting against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom