• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecotic

So we know now the tape was found after producers read the Associated Press story about his treatment of women on the set of The Apprentice. It's crazy to think a lot of producers might not have bothered to check their archives before now. There's probably a lot of interns combing through archives this weekend.

Amir0x

Banned
Bang boom bizzop

Pass a climate bill, public option, raise minimum wage, paid family leave, student loan reform, immigration reform, big jobs bill (infrastructure and other shit), McCain-Feingold 2, new VRA, criminal justice reform, other shit

Seriously this is perhaps the most fortuitous event in modern political history if you're a Democrat. It can potentially kill the Republican driven deadlock by giving Dems a landslide. I mean a lot depends on how bad Trump continues to do going forward and how bad the rest of the oppo stuff is, but think about the possibilities. The first female president might have a legendary first term in that case.

I'm trying not to get too excited, but if there is worse stuff than the video that already came out...this is no longer a fantasy.

BLACKLAC

NBC had the tape Monday night but was scared about lawsuits. Thiel is the one who brought down Gawker and he is also a Trump guy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...c6850e-8db9-11e6-875e-2c1bfe943b66_story.html

Unforgivable NBC

CuTILezW8AEHzR1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbGqeyemofU

Truth Squad in Effect.

Jody Rosen ‏@jodyrosen 14m14 minutes ago
NBC 2016
1) Trump hosts SNL
2) Lauer plays footsie w/Trump
3) Fallon tousles Trump's hair
4) Network sits on Trump sex assault story

There is no way democrats are going to nuke the filibuster.

I would like to keep it honestly but Republicans will 100% kill it if they get single party control. So might as well jump them on this.

I would prefer a guarantee long term that it wouldn't go away but why just let them keep killing anything they try to do if the GOP reverses and stops the filibuster the first chance they get?

Bronx-Man

Banned
If somehow by the grace of god we manage to take the House, we gotta go scorched earth the next 2 years. We gotta do everything humanly possible for American libs.

jtb

Banned
Unforgivable NBC

CuTILezW8AEHzR1.jpg

unforgivable is fucking right. my god.

I really do believe that a large part of Donald Trump's rise has been the fact that there still is no business model that supports serious journalism anymore. Donald Trump-style demagoguery is what happens when journalistic institutions are allowed to wither and die and you replace them with pundits, algorithms, and, as a whole, echo chamber bullshit.

Seriously this is perhaps the most fortuitous event in modern political history if you're a Democrat. It can potentially kill the Republican driven deadlock by giving Dems a landslide. I mean a lot depends on how bad Trump continues to do going forward and how bad the rest of the oppo stuff is, but think about the possibilities. The first female president might have a legendary first term in that case.

I'm trying not to get too excited, but if there is worse stuff than the video that already came out...this is no longer a fantasy.
Legendary first half of first term anyway

HylianTom

Banned

I'm so excited about what's possible that I'm having trouble sleeping. Before, I wanted just the Senate and the White House. Now I want electoral ruination.

The past 48 hours is unlike anything I've ever seen.

The $ green light is coming next week. Dems trying to take the House for real and run up the senate score. Man I really don't think it can happen but even without a wave a lot of republicans are screwed right now. Perhaps enough to create a sane House where Speaker Ryan is forced to work with democrats far more than Boehner did. Good way to ruin his career before 2020.

Primus

It is very interesting that we've never heard a peep from the Trump camp about lawsuits over the Post story and the leaked video. Trump is notoriously litigious on anything even remotely negative on him or his businesses put in print, this has been shown for decades.

The Access Hollywood video? Nothing. Not a damn thing. Makes you think.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The $ green light is coming next week. Dems trying to take the House for real and run up the senate score. Man I really don't think it can happen but even without a wave a lot of republicans are screwed right now. Perhaps enough to create a sane House where Speaker Ryan is forced to work with democrats far more than Boehner did. Good way to ruin his career before 2020.

I think Clinton needs to change the % her bundled fundraising is giving to the DNC at this point.

Sagroth

This is the best thing that could happen.

Never Trumpers ignore the top and vote only on down ballot races.

Always Trumpers vote for the top and ignore all the down ballot races.

It would be a DISASTER for the GOP.

If you know any Trump fans, encourage them to follow this route.

QNJimY.png

Oh, PLEASE let this become a movement.

Every seat is precious given the incumbency advantage and the danger of 2018. And I'm not just talking about congress, there's potential to make up ground in state legislatures that will matter a lot.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It is very interesting that we've never heard a peep from the Trump camp about lawsuits over the Post story and the leaked video. Trump is notoriously litigious on anything even remotely negative on him or his businesses put in print, this has been shown for decades.

The Access Hollywood video? Nothing. Not a damn thing. Makes you think.

The Post didn't record it. They had no hand in making it so there's no way to sue them. NBC on the other hand, depending on the law in the state this was recorded in, could potentially have been in trouble had Trump and Bush not known their mics were hot.

EDIT: For example, in California (where I assume this was taped) both sides would need to consent to having their private conversation recorded for it to be legal. Given they were in a bus with the door closed, while in motion, they likely had a reasonable expectation of privacy, which could have made releasing this recording a crime under California law (if that's where this was recorded). Once they were out of the bus however, it was fair game.

I still find it amazing that Hillary is having all these luck after being demonzied by the GOP for almost 30 years. She has been tarred, feathered, raked through the coals and grilled for 11 hours on national TV yet here we are today: the national GOP as we know them in modern history might be destroyed because of her. But knowing her methodical preparations, I'm sure some of these aren't accidents/luck.

Retro

I still find it amazing that Hillary is having all these luck after being demonzied by the GOP for almost 30 years. She has been tarred, feathered, raked through the coals and grilled for 11 hours on national TV yet here we are today: the GOP might be destroyed because of her. But knowing her methodical preparations, I'm sure some of these aren't accidents/luck.

Yeah.

Karma's a real bitch, ain't it?

SmokeMaxX

I was listening to Conservative talk show radio on the way to grabbing a pizza today and someone called in saying they would literally rather write-in Satan than vote for Hillary Clinton. Like wtf lol.

Bowdz

In a perfect world, Dems would be able to pass filibuster reform that reverts it back to a pre-1975 state where it exists but you must be in chamber to filibuster (aka, no more GOP threatening to filibuster unless every member was in the chamber). Ideally, they'd be able to keep the filibuster in some form to not look cravenly political, but make the rules sane and remove the absolute 60 vote threshold.

Only 43 states allow write-in votes. 5 of the 7 that don't recognize write-in votes are reliable red states. Most of the states are in a complete constitutional gray zone as far as how a write-in candidate winning the state would work.

But there are a couple of dozen states where, for one reason or a another, a write-in candidate is unattached to a slate of electors. It is in those states that we'd be left in a legal gray area if a write-in were to win.

This would cause a legal battle since Democrats would fight the legitimacy of the winner and there is zero legal or constitutional precedent to fall back on in terms of how to figure out the way forward.

In a perfect world, Dems would be able to pass filibuster reform that reverts it back to a pre-1975 state where it exists but you must be in chamber to filibuster (aka, no more GOP threatening to filibuster unless every member was in the chamber). Ideally, they'd be able to keep the filibuster in some form to not look cravenly political, but make the rules sane and remove the absolute 60 vote threshold.

Make it require 55% of Senators in attendance and require actual long speeches to do it and you'll have something less egregious. The current rule should be changed, it's ridiculous and undemocratic.

Judges have traditionally been very flexible when it comes to getting candidates from major parties on ballots. It would take a lawsuit, but it's doable.

I sincerely doubt our legal system could ever work fast enough to get someone else recognized in less than 30 days in all these states. There would be appeals, delays, and disagreeing rulings along the way.

That's my guess. NBC owned show was the source. That's a legit ethical dellimma
No. Not if they got the tape from third party even then Trump knew he was miked. Consent is there. News division is likely firewalls to some extent and new division should have courage in situations like this.

Also, First amendment protects this anyways.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
No. Not if they got the tape from third party even then Trump knew he was miked. Consent is there.

Also, First amendment protects this anyways

I'd take a look at this. NBC owns Access Hollywood. Unless both Trump and Bush consented to being recorded (given this was California), there's actually a legal issue at play here for NBC if they published it. Given they were in a moving bus at the time, that could potentially create an expectation of privacy for them. Had they not been on a bus NBC would have been free and clear. Due to a lack of expectation of privacy.

EDIT: This is a better site to explain how recording laws work, state by state. http://www.rcfp.org/reporters-recording-guide/state-state-guide/california

EDIT 2: The Post had no such issue since they didn't make said recording.

Bowdz

Make it require 55% of Senators in attendance and require actual long speeches to do it and you'll have something less egregious. The current rule should be changed, it's ridiculous and undemocratic.

Yeah, this is perfect. It acknowledges minority rights without bringing the institution to a dead stop with anything less than historic margins.

Syncytia

I finally read Melania's statement and it's horrible.

"Does not represent the man I know" COME ON this was right after you were married!

She better separate from him.

Iolo

I finally read Melania's statement and it's horrible.

"Does not represent the man I know" COME ON this was right after you were married!

She better separate from him.

Like she wrote that statement. It's also nearly the same as Pence's statement, it was written with the same talking points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom