• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the best timeline, Diamond Joe Biden and John Kaisch are preparing for a policy based debate that is free of reality show fuckery.

Oh well.

Why is a less progressive candidate facing off against a Conservative who is just as Conservative as the rest of the pack and could theoretically win the best timeline?

kmag

The biggest thing that tips me off was that the tax returns were copies of Ivana's forms at some point because they have the Post-It Note arrows pointing to the lines for your spouse to sign. At some point, Ivana Trump held those documents, and they somehow made it to a reporter. If it ever came out that it was her, to my knowledge, there's nothing even illegal about it. Nothing says you can't release your own returns (even if your spouse is on them).

The time frame puts it Martha's wheelhouse not Ivana's does it not?

johnsmith

remember me
This is the first time I've read anyone say that she gained "a few" pounds. Some said that she looked amazing at the time but they always add in a part where they say "she gained so much weight" or she gained a huge amount or a massive amount. I never know if they're saying that's what Trump meant or if they're adding some weird commentary about "how she got so fat though!"

Trump claims she gained like 60, I think I heard Machado say she gained like 15. Trump has been known to exaggerate.

Holmes

I'm really looking forward to New York City Republicans who've been married multiple times calling Hillary a rape enabler today!
Real talk, I'm not afraid of how Hillary will do at the debate at all. Rather, I'm afraid of how political discourse will go from here after Trump goes this route. She'll put him in his place, but now she'll be called a rape enabler from now on from his core supporters and I'm already tired.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
"That recording was made over ten years ago. I've grown and matured since then and it does not reflect the person I now am."

(drip)

"That recording was made over five years ago. I've grown and matured since then and it does not reflect the person I now am."

(drip)

"That recording was made over two years ago. I've grown and matured since then and it does not reflect the person I now am."

(drip)
(drip)
(drip)

"That recording was made as long ago as last Tuesday. I've grown and matured since then and it does not reflect the person I now am."

(drip)

Nordicus

Like I said, best thing that could happen:

ll6jxq.png
GOP opened the Pandora's Box and there's no closing it!

No. All that could happen is that the Republican party schemes for a mass faithless elector conspiracy, which is nonsense that will never happen. They're stuck with Trump and the calls for him to step down are just symbolic stances.

Not really. Ballots have been printed and mailed out; early voting has already begun. There simply isn't enough time. The last realistic deadline was Sept. 1 and that would have been pushing it.

Thank God.

Trump stock crashing on betfair like crazy in the last hour. Wonder if the market just finally gave up on him or if there's some insider look at the polling/next shoe to drop.

Trump stock crashing on betfair like crazy in the last hour. Wonder if the market just finally gave up on him or if there's some insider look at the polling/next shoe to drop.

I'm guessing that bettors don't have much faith in Donald Trump (coached by Roger Ailes and Steve Bannon) to be able to litigate rapes possibly committed by a woman's legal clients and husband during a town hall without coming off as an unhinged misogynist.

Please proceed, deplorables.
These people were never actually Republicans in the first place, so it's a pretty natural conclusion to the experiment. Without another literally insane figurehead to grab on to it's unlikely they'll be involved in politics further, indefinitely. Like a more extreme version of #BernieOrBust people who have gone to third party candidates were never actually Democrats and know nothing of the party.

Wow what a wonderful week we've been having lol!

If tonight's debate isn't Trump's Red Wedding I will not be satisfied!

I know Queen will be prepared for fire but I hope she doesn't get too complacent. Just one tiny slip up and the media will be calling it a tie. The US media have been truly terrible this election and should've ended Trump months ago. We should not have waited for these tapes to leak for him to collapse.

Maengun1

This debate is going to be such a trainwreck shitshow. This spiral is so bad for Trump that even if his non-existent intelligent clone got up on stage and knocked it out of the park, it's still too late to help him IMO. I mean we're not going to see all these other Repubs who are bailing off the boat RE-endorsing Donald Trump 3 days later, lol (although that would be hilarious).

I don't think he can do anything, really. And if that's true, then we may actually be heading into the territory of "Mr. Trump, my disabled husband recently lost his job when the plant closed down and--" "STFU. Now let me tell you all a tale about Juanita Broaddrick and Vince Foster..."

I know Queen will be prepared for fire but I hope she doesn't get too complacent. Just one tiny slip up and the media will be calling it a tie. The US media have been truly terrible this election and should've ended Trump months ago. We should not have waited for these tapes to leak for him to collapse.
TBH, I think Trump's fate was always sealed. The media was light on him and harder on Hillary because they wanted the ratings of an election cycle with Trump. Ending Trump's campaign early on would be boring and would likely not generate as high ratings. Now that it is approaching close to the election Hillary and her campaign as well as the media are laying into Trump much harder.

SmokeMaxX

My brother shocked me earlier today on facebook when in response to an article I posted about the 'grab your pussy' , he wrote "so how is this worst than when killery laughed off getting a rapist in 1975?'

I then wrote out a very descriptive post narrowing down the fallacies of his question and argument, linked him to false equivalency , strawman, and facts that refute his subject of his question, and not even 30 seconds after I hit post, he had a "lol did you really type that or copy and paste. Damn I love you but we are in opposite sides."

Dude didn't even read the info, digest the it, and come back with other questions. Just, no; I'm voting for this dude. When I informed him he could vote an entire ticket without voting for Trump, he still thought i was fucking with him.

Cognitive bias is so fucked up.
You tried to come at him with reason. That's where you messed up. Should've said "But the establishment is trying to hold back Trump! If you had any real integrity, you'd only vote Trump and not down-ticket, and show those establishment hacks that your voice won't be silenced."

sazzy

You tried to come at him with reason. That's where you messed up. Should've said "But the establishment is trying to hold back Trump! If you had any real integrity, you'd only vote Trump and not down-ticket, and show those establishment hacks that your voice won't be silenced."

Exactly.

Rubenov

So far I only have the Bushes and Romney as the only GOP'ers that never bought into the Trump circus, and are looking like true statesmen. Oh, and Kasich also never jumped in.

Anyone else?

I keep going back to the moment in the thread when the story broke (aka 100 pages ago), when we were all wondering about those ad buy reversals, then BAM.

CCS

Banned
Reddit does make me laugh sometimes:

"When the GOP selects their nominees, they aren't picking their best. They're picking rapists. They're picking racists. And some, I assume, are good people."

"I'm sorry GOP, but you cannot abort this campaign. You must take it to term."

"Will Pence be forced to hold a funeral for this miscarriage?"

Joeytj

Banned
So far I only have the Bushes and Romney as the only GOP'ers that never bought into the Trump circus, and are looking like true statesmen. Oh, and Kasich also never jumped in.

Anyone else?

Colin Powell? I guess? Is he even a Republican anymore?

Only one conservative Reagan kid is left, and he's against Trump. The rest of the Never Trumps were either part of the Bush and Romney clique, or what is left of the Reagan administration, some.

Anyone else?

Ben Sasse, uhh Lindsey Graham? I think that's all the ones I can think of.

mo60

You mean weekend. This weekend has been insane. I did not expect that unaired recording to leak on friday. The debate tonight will be interesting to watch.

SmokeMaxX

Oh wow, interesting angle, smoke. (Hi btw!)

Haha hey what's up.

As a liberal that lives in Arkansas, I spend a lot of time trying to figure out ways to get people to change their beliefs or at least their votes. It's hard because most people get their info from Conservative talk show radio, Fox News, or their social circles (which get their news from the first two). That being said, since Conservative media created this Trump monster, I'm curious if the establishment will start to denounce the Rush Limbaughs and the Sean Hannitys. It'll hurt at first, but will probably be necessary.

Nordicus

This is great from the NYT. A timeline of everything awful Trump has said and at what point Republicans finally walked away from him.
Huh, that David Duke moment had a surprisingly big effect.

Also, "Obama is the founder of ISIS" pushed people pretty succesfully into supporting Clinton. Kinda funny

...No republican that is dropping their Trump endorsement only after the tape is voting Clinton so far.

Rubenov

Colin Powell? I guess? Is he even a Republican anymore?

Only one conservative Reagan kid is left, and he's against Trump. The rest of the Never Trumps were either part of the Bush and Romney clique, or what is left of the Reagan administration, some.

Ben Sasse, uhh Lindsey Graham? I think that's all the ones I can think of.

Jeff Flake and Ben Sasse

Thanks, both Ben Sasse and Jeff Flake seem all right. I've always liked Powell; I wouldn't consider him a traditional Republican at this time since he's been in favor of Obama and now Clinton for years.

I think it shows character to do the right thing even if it nets you a few enemies in the short term. I'm sure both of those guys were under considerable pressure to back Trump.

sazzy

Infowars has been encouraging its audience to go on live TV and say "Bill Clinton is a rapist, Bill Clinton is a rapist, *************, *************"

If they do, they are giving them $5000.

Rubenov

My hot take on debate tonight:

Trump will overall do well exceeding expectations and narrative will change to Trump can come back now.

This is definitely some cartoon soldiering, although I think people now have unrealistic expectations about Hillary's margin of victory.

Some are claiming she will get 70%+ of the popular vote.

My take is +4% is the floor, +7% is the ceiling come election day. Next weeks' polls will likely show her ahead by 10 points or so, and it will tighten from then until election day into the range above.

It is known.

Syncytia

Infowars has been encouraging its audience to go on live TV and say "Bill Clinton is a rapist, Bill Clinton is a rapist, *************, *************"

If they do, they are giving them $5000.

If I lived in NYC I would be tempted to just camp out in front of Trump Tower to do this.

And give the money to Killary.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This is great from the NYT. A timeline of everything awful Trump has said and at what point Republicans finally walked away from him.

Wow, that's quite comprehensive.

I also think we need a master list of Republicans and if they:

1.) Neither Endorsed or Repudiated
2.) Endorsed
3.) Repudiated
4.) 3 and 4, lol.

Ryan and McConnell still on board? NUKE THE MOFO

Jack Welch ✔ @jack_welch
Like Republican message on Economy, Security and Supreme Court...Unfortunately, wrong messenger...Party must change nominee now.

How the fuck do you lose Jack Welch?

Will Jordan ‏@williamjordann 5h5 hours ago
Lots of YouGov data tomorrow. Model, states, national...some before, some after tape release.

NICE

CCS

Banned
This HuffPo article nails it.

You Knew Who Trump Was When You Endorsed Him, Republican Leaders

You knew. You all knew. You knew the whole time who and what Donald Trump is.

Mike Pence. Paul Ryan. Mitch McConnell. Ted Cruz. Chris Christie. Newt Gingrich. Orrin Hatch. John McCain. Marco Rubio. Virtually all of you.

You heard every terrible thing he said. You watched every inexcusable thing he did. You knew Trump is a race-baiting, xenophobic, misogynistic, authoritarian con man. You knew about his insatiable appetite for power, his bottomless need for affirmation, his dangerous impulsiveness and uncontrollable temper. You knew he was a huckster who ruined businesses and lives. You knew he debased your party, and you personally. You knew.

You knew he waged a racist campaign against the president’s legitimacy. You knew he called immigrants rapists. You knew he advocated forbidding Muslims from American soil. You knew he said a federal judge wasn’t qualified because Mexican blood flowed through his veins. You knew he besmirched the parents of a dead soldier. You knew he mocked prisoners of war. You knew he courted white supremacists. You knew he admires dictators. You knew he incited violence. You knew he lies ― blatantly, shamelessly, ceaselessly.

You knew all of that, and you asked Americans to elect him president anyway. Shame on you. You knew.

You knew Hillary Clinton isn’t the monstrous caricature you spent decades depicting. You knew she is ― like each and every one of you ― an ordinary politician, in all the ways that word has positive and negative connotations. You knew she would govern in a perfectly normal way.

You knew this, but you told voters she was more dangerous than Trump. More evil. A greater threat to the republic. And this, after so many of you spent the presidential primary campaign warning the U.S. that Trump is exactly who he appears to be. But you fell in line. You knew, and you endorsed him anyway.

You made promises you knew you couldn’t keep, and your voters finally lost faith in you. Now, they’re turning on you.

They follow a man who doesn’t even share your beliefs. You’re learning just how little those voters cared about conservatism and how very much they cared about stomping their boots on the throats of people who don’t look like them or love like them or think like them. You made this possible by making villains out of African-Americans, Latinos, LGBTQ people, the poor.

When this is all over, you may win your own re-elections. You may retain control of Congress and of governors mansions, state legislatures, county councils and school boards all across the nation. You may sigh in relief that you survived. You may even ― and not terribly long from now ― regain the presidency and resume carrying out your agenda. Your own careers may be successful.

But history will condemn you. History won’t forget your callowness. Because you knew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom