• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowdz

Pence thinks he has a career after this, and even he knows abandoning Trump destroys that

The Dems just need to continue hitting them hard over this. Either turn off moderates to the down ballot GOPers or get them to break with Trump and enrage the Trumpkins. If I were Hillary, I'd have a group of the campaign rile up down ballot angst on Twitter and r/the_donald.

sazzy

I'd take a look at this. NBC owns Access Hollywood. Unless both Trump and Bush consented to being recorded (given this was California), there's actually a legal issue at play here for NBC if they published it. Given they were in a moving bus at the time, that could potentially create an expectation of privacy for them. Had they not been on a bus NBC would have been free and clear. Due to a lack of expectation of privacy.

EDIT: This is a better site to explain how recording laws work, state by state. http://www.rcfp.org/reporters-recording-guide/state-state-guide/california

EDIT 2: The Post had no such issue since they didn't make said recording.

While all you've said is true, I think its very disingenuous if people completely dismiss the idea that these leaks were facilitated by the Clinton camp.

Think about the NYT tax story. It is illegal for anyone to disclose someone tax returns. How convenient that they happened to show up in a snail mailbox, unable to be traced.

And this story. How convenient that NBC was worried about a potential lawsuit, and the video just got accidentally leaked by some unknown person. And NBC isn't even bothering to investigate how it got leaked.

Even if the Clinton camp is not involved, there is no doubt that media people, on an individual level, if not on a company-level, are coordinating these leaks amongst themselves, rightfully fearing a Trump presidency.

sazzy

As for how Hillary may respond to Donald...

"I stood by my husband, Donald, just like Melania is standing by hers"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
While all you've said is true, I think its very disingenuous if people completely dismiss the idea that these leaks were facilitated by the Clinton camp.

Think about the NYT tax story. It is illegal for anyone to disclose someone tax returns. How convenient that they happened to show up in a snail mailbox, unable to be traced.

And this story. How convenient that NBC was worried about a potential lawsuit, and the video just got accidentally leaked by some unknown person. And NBC isn't even bothering to investigate how it got leaked.

Even if the Clinton camp is not involved, there is no doubt that media people, on an individual level, if not on a company-level, are coordinating these leaks amongst themselves, rightfully fearing a Trump presidency.

Unless Clinton's team has people on the inside, I don't see how you can blame these leaks on them.

Also, what the hell does any of this even have to do with the conversation at hand?

Besides the cold opening, any other SNL clips from tonight?

Also it took me a few hours of reading, but I finally caught up with this thread.

I also donated a celebratory $60 to Hillary today. I might look into some of the closer senate races and start sending them some help.

"If we're talking about standing, Melania is taller than you are.

Alright, I won the debate. Hillary's not qualified, vote for me on November 8. I'm going home."

(this is more of an Alec Baldwin Donald Trump, but whatever.)

jiggle

Hmm
Not sure I like this one
First image in head was the John Kerry Mary lesbian answer

NBC had the tape Monday night but was scared about lawsuits. Thiel is the one who brought down Gawker and he is also a Trump guy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...c6850e-8db9-11e6-875e-2c1bfe943b66_story.html
The timing is not so suspicious then
Mook wanted this out earlier in the week

mjp2417

Banned
I want to see Hannity and O'Reilly just distraught as possible on election day

Hannity is, unfortunately, weirdly self-aware about this kind of stuff. I remember being all excited about a post-election 2012 meltdown, especially following Karl Rove, and dude just kind of calmly brushed it off.

She can come up with 50 million zingers but I don't think stepping down into the gutter is a good idea for Hillary as her opponent is melting in the past 48 hours and taking the party with him. Hillary did not want people to cast aspersions on her and Bill's private life after the scandals came out, and she sure as shit wouldn't want the same for anyone else even if it's someone as repugnant as Trump. Anyone who's paying attention knowns Trump is a philanderer, cheated on his wives and anyone who paid attention to last 24 hours knows about the Pussygate. If he brings attention, just deal with it as she did in the 90s and gracefully sidestep without a counterpunch. Let the thing blow up on Trump's face in real time.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm spitballing a curveball here:
she could include something like, "I condemn the statements. And as someone who's been through my own rough times in a very public and painful fashion, I wish you and Melania well."

nomster

Hannity is, unfortunately, weirdly self-aware about this kind of stuff. I remember being all excited about a post-election 2012 meltdown, especially following Karl Rove, and dude just kind of calmly brushed it off.
He probably does better financially with a dem in charge to rally against.

kevin1025

Banned
She can come up with 50 million zingers but I don't think stepping down into the gutter is a good idea for Hillary as her opponent is melting in the past 48 hours and taking the party with him. Hillary did not want people to cast aspersions on her and Bill's private life after the scandals came out, and she sure as shit wouldn't want the same for anyone else even if it's someone as repugnant as Trump. Anyone who's paying attention knowns Trump is a philanderer, cheated on his wives and anyone who paid attention to last 24 hours knows about the Pussygate. If he brings attention, just deal with it as she did in the 90s and gracefully sidestep without a counterpunch. Let the thing blow up on Trump's face in real time.

I think the truly horrifying thing is the two non-apologies and defiant tweets and wave to his supporters outside Trump Tower show that he doesn't understand what he's done. He read their words, but doesn't care about their meaning. This guy just sees that people are reacting negatively, and is angry over that, from the looks of things.

sazzy

dowd's latest column:

“WHEN a man knows he is to be hanged,” Samuel Johnson once said, “it concentrates his mind wonderfully.”

Unless, of course, that man is Donald Trump.

Out of the nine presidential campaigns I’ve covered, I’ve never seen anything as absurd as the motley crew of Trump advisers agonizing over how to delicately, in soothing tones, tiptoe up to the proudly uninformed megalomaniac and broach the topic of more rigorous debate prep. Or, even more hilariously, trick him into practicing for the second contest so he doesn’t repeat his oblivious shame spiral.

In a country roiling with fears about terrorism, race relations and economic inequality, Trump managed to get fixated on the fact that a former Miss Universe gained a few pounds — and to gnaw on that issue for a week after leaving Hofstra, while mainlining bacon cheeseburgers. And this weekend, Trump was ensnared in another sensational story about the lascivious way he talks about women.

The denizens of Trumpworld — and furious and flummoxed Republicans — are dealing with a highchair king who gets huffy when he sees his advisers and allies acknowledging the obvious on TV: that he struggled in the first debate and that he should cease the self-immolating, misogynistic 3 a.m. tweets.

read the rest here: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/09/o...-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region

i love her writing style

jiggle

she could include something like, "I condemn the statements. And as someone who's been through my own rough times in a very public and painful fashion, I wish you and Melania well."
More shades in this one
I like

The possibility of Missouri going blue got me hype as balls

I'm pleasantly surprised at the number of Missourians on here looking forward to voting D in the fall. In this post-facts world along with the lack of polling I've come to believe that this state is not nearly as safe for the GOP as everyone thinks. I don't think any Republican actually thought they could lose the governorship and their senate seat when the year began.

I'd be hopeful that a Kander victory would get the national party looking here more, there must be something going on for a place like this to have two Dem senators.

In the best timeline, Diamond Joe Biden and John Kaisch are preparing for a policy based debate that is free of reality show fuckery.

Oh well.

Screw that. It turns out this is the best timeline.

AniHawk

i think it's perfect if she just wished melania well.

Well, that's because Hannity is a carnie. He went from saying the GOP needed to pass immigration reform right after the '12 election to being all Trumpian about the Mexican Horde this summer. He's probably a conservative, but he doesn't probably care about policy positions at all.

OTOH, I think O'Reilly really is the right-wing slightly racist guy of his age who think he's an Independent because he might've voted for a couple of Democratic local politicians or thought a very right-leaning Democrat had some good ideas.

I'm sure this happens in the business, but with the tax thing, I still think the most likely candidate is someone close to Ivana, if not Ivana herself. She would even have a legal right to release her own taxes. Trump should've filed separately lol.

And yes, the Clinton camp likely has interns who are cooking up ways to "leak" info to the press, but ultimately, if the info wasn't there, then it wouldn't matter.

sazzy

I'm sure this happens in the business, but with the tax thing, I still think the most likely candidate is someone close to Ivana, if not Ivana herself. She would even have a legal right to release her own taxes. Trump should've filed separately lol.

And yes, the Clinton camp likely has interns who are cooking up ways to "leak" info to the press, but ultimately, if the info wasn't there, then it wouldn't matter.

I wouldn't be surprised if NYT knew who the the tax statements came from, and they simply mailed the returns to themselves, with the Trump Tower as the return address, to establish plausible deniability - in case Donald came after them for intentionally seeking out private information.

I wouldn't be surprised if NYT knew who the the tax statements came from, and they simply mailed the returns to themselves, with the Trump Tower as the return address, to establish plausible deniability - in case Donald came after them for intentionally seeking out private information.

The biggest thing that tips me off was that the tax returns were copies of Ivana's forms at some point because they have the Post-It Note arrows pointing to the lines for your spouse to sign. At some point, Ivana Trump held those documents, and they somehow made it to a reporter. If it ever came out that it was her, to my knowledge, there's nothing even illegal about it. Nothing says you can't release your own returns (even if your spouse is on them).

sazzy

Like I said, best thing that could happen:

ll6jxq.png

The biggest thing that tips me off was that the tax returns were copies of Ivana's forms at some point because they have the Post-It Note arrows pointing to the lines for your spouse to sign. At some point, Ivana Trump held those documents, and they somehow made it to a reporter. If it ever came out that it was her, to my knowledge, there's nothing even illegal about it. Nothing says you can't release your own returns (even if your spouse is on them).

Probably her accountant was the source

Important question for US Poligaf: is it actually possible for Trump to step down and let Pence take his place?

Now that he's pretty much guaranteed a hit in votes, I want him to remain based on all the crap that's now affecting him. I don't want another person to step in to"save" the Repub party because that's a level of uncertainty I don't want in this race to November.

Important question for US Poligaf: is it actually possible for Trump to step down and let Pence take his place?

No. All that could happen is that the Republican party schemes for a mass faithless elector conspiracy, which is nonsense that will never happen. They're stuck with Trump and the calls for him to step down are just symbolic stances.

Now that he's pretty much guaranteed a hit in votes, I want him to remain based on all the crap that's now affecting him. I don't want another person to step in to"save" the Repub party because that's a level of uncertainty I don't want in this race to November.

Not really. Ballots have been printed and mailed out; early voting has already begun. There simply isn't enough time. The last realistic deadline was Sept. 1 and that would have been pushing it.

dowd's latest column:

read the rest here: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/09/o...-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region

i love her writing style

a former Miss Universe gained a few pounds

This is the first time I've read anyone say that she gained "a few" pounds. Some said that she looked amazing at the time but they always add in a part where they say "she gained so much weight" or she gained a huge amount or a massive amount. I never know if they're saying that's what Trump meant or if they're adding some weird commentary about "how she got so fat though!"

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Trump promises to #MakeAmericaGreatAgain, but look what he's done to the Republican party in only three short months.

Holmes

I'm really looking forward to New York City Republicans who've been married multiple times calling Hillary a rape enabler today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom