• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with you on this. Trump has another option, and that is to apologize and move on without deflecting or passing the bill (literally). But he's physically and (especially) mentally incapable of apologizing and moving on. And that is why he will go the scorched earth route.

You can't apologize and move on when it's not a mistake, but a clear and demonstrable pattern to your behavior. The media has begun to dig up old stories that line up with the leak and just pile them on nonstop.

At some point "I'm sorry, let's move on" doesn't cut it.

And let's say hypothetically that was even possible. Trump comes out as contrite, accepts responsibility, doesn't try to blame bill clinton (as he's obviously doing now).

We have at LEAST two more bombs waiting to drop, one which is similar to the friday leak, and one that's been implied to be extremely racist- which we know Trump is, if anyone's been paying attention for more than five seconds.

"I'm sorry" isn't going to work there.

I pray that his supporters see this as his tacit instruction/approval that they not vote downticket.

It's beautiful watching this *finally* starting to catch up to them. The GOP went after the bigot vote, very purposefully, and it worked well for a long time.

But now, thanks to Trump, they're forced to pick between losing swing voters and moderate republican votes, or losing the bigot vote. I'm glad so many of them are choosing to lose the bigot vote (even though they're just doing it for political reasons), but either way you're talking about lost votes.

This is what you eventually end up with when you quietly pander to bigots for decades. Eventually along comes a candidate who is openly a bigot, and a huge chunk of your voter base now demands that you either openly support bigotry too, or they're going to turn on you.

OH MY GOD

They will ask him how he feels about the GOP refusing to support him, and he's going to attack the GOP leadership. ON TEEVEE.

OH MY GOD.

Someone hold me.
giphy.gif

Boke1879

Yea he's already openly tweeting about it and he'll no doubt make some live remarks. Monday morning is going to be very interesting. I have a feeling officially he gets dumped or you'll publicly see the GOP focus on down ballot.

Of course there are more hits coming. These journalists know what's up. This isn't the worst of it at all. I suspect we'll get something mid next week.

I disagree with you on this. Trump has another option, and that is to apologize and move on without deflecting or passing the bill (literally). But he's physically and (especially) mentally incapable of apologizing and moving on. And that is why he will go the scorched earth route.

Trump already 'apologized' and it did nothing to change the story. He's not going to give a better apology than that. He'll just reiterate that he already apologized. That was painfully dragged out of him. You aren't getting a second heartfelt apology.

Boke1879

I could see the next hit coming 2/3 hours before the debate so everyone's in a fuck you state of mind as it starts

I mean Friday was crazy

Nah..Nothing will get released today imo. This story is still fuming and he's lost GOP support. Let it play out. DO your thing at the debate. Let whatever fallout happen monday morning happen. She needs to do her rally in Michigan and then later in the week drop the other hammer.

Yea he's already openly tweeting about it and he'll no doubt make some live remarks. Monday morning is going to be very interesting. I have a feeling officially he gets dumped or you'll publicly see the GOP focus on down ballot.

Of course there are more hits coming. These journalists know what's up. This isn't the worst of it at all. I suspect we'll get something mid next week.

Dumping Trump makes more sense in the long term, but whether you stand by him or decry him (and you can no longer try to find any middle ground there after the leak) you're losing voters come November at this point.

I could see the next hit coming 2/3 hours before the debate so everyone's in a fuck you state of mind as it starts

I mean Friday was crazy

Nah, the debate is going to be a disaster regardless. why waste the news cycle? Let the trainwreck that is "Trump at the town hall" propagate around the networks, talk shows, and social media...

then when that starts to wear off, drop another bomb. hit him again.

that starts to wear off...There's debate 3. Trump will no doubt be a trainwreck a third time. let that sink in, work it's way into the media cycle.

that starts to wear off...you're close to election day, maybe 2 or 3 days out- drop your final leak, the most devastating one you have. Demoralizes moderates and independents as much as possible, driving down R turnout on election day while energizing Democrats.

Grief.exe

If the debate goes as badly as I think it will, Dems need to go for broke. Empty the coffers, put every penny on the line.

This may sound callus, but honestly I would be fine with destroying this man for the greater good here. It's not like his family is a good reason for holding back, both Donald Jr and Eric are white supremacists and potential future political problems in their own right.

Retake the House/Senate/Supreme/WH so the Democrats can push through fixes on Social Security, budget, taxes, Affordable Care Act, background check system, immigration reform, and tweak Gerrymandering to be fair to the entire electorate.

PmlHeLr.gif

Boke1879

Nah, the debate is going to be a disaster regardless. why waste the news cycle? Let the trainwreck that is "Trump at the town hall" propagate around the networks, talk shows, and social media...

then when that starts to wear off, drop another bomb. hit him again.

that starts to wear off...There's debate 3. Trump will no doubt be a trainwreck a third time. let that sink in, work it's way into the media cycle.

that starts to wear off...you're close to election day, maybe 2 or 3 days out- drop your final leak, the most devastating one you have. Demoralizes moderates and independents as much as possible, driving down R turnout on election day while energizing Democrats.

Honestly I wonder if there will be a debate 3

Honestly I wonder if there will be a debate 3

no debate 3 is even better than a disastrous debate 3.

Hillary will show up regardless and just slaughter trump's positions on national TV, while blasting him for being too cowardly to face a woman that beat him twice already.

That's the worst possible timeline for the GOP.

Any word on how the trump kids are doing? I know they have been worried about the trump brand recently.

I def don't mind if dens go for broke and ruin Trump straight out.

The problem is, if the GOP "focus on down ballot" they lose just as much. They can invest all the money in the world, but if they fail to back the head liner, no one is going to show.

kevin1025

Banned
Great NYT article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/10/us/politics/trump-tower.html

Best parts:

The deliberations over a possible interview were moving ahead despite Ms. Trump’s lack of interest in appearing on camera. But then Nancy O’Dell, the former “Access Hollywood” host whom Mr. Trump had lewdly described in the recording, issued a statement denouncing his comments. And then more tapes of Mr. Trump speaking crudely about women, this time on “The Howard Stern Show,” turned up on television.

The discussions about the interview were quickly dropped.

Mr. Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, an observant Jew who normally does not work on the Sabbath, was among those who gathered with him on Saturday, although the candidate’s oldest daughter, Ivanka, was not.

Mr. Christie and Mr. Priebus told Mr. Trump that the situation with other Republicans was becoming dire. Other advisers assured Mr. Trump that attacking Mrs. Clinton over her husband’s behavior with women, and over reports that she had defended his behavior, would help rally Republicans again.

His own daughter sounds like she's out. And he's gonna do it. His advisors thinks it's a good idea...

Tamanon

Banned
You get dumbasses to keep their support for Trump in place after each bombshell. Then you hit with the biggest one and say "see! This is what I mean by deplorable!"

Or you just quietly run a good campaign and ignore the dumpster fire nearby.

Dude is having a full blown twitter meltdown right now. Will there even be a debate 2 lol

He's still got a few hours to cram!

Well first a little wake and bake

Then breakfast at the campus dining hall

Then some Overwatch

Then shit try to get an extension by saying his grandfather died

HylianTom

Banned
The problem is, if the GOP "focus on down ballot" they lose just as much. They can invest all the money in the world, but if they fail to back the head liner, no one is going to show.
Exactly - people don't buy a ticket to see Steve & Eydie; they come to see Dean Martin!

(which is also part of the Democrats' midterm problem)

GusBus

I had a conversation with my dad last night and he's gone from tepid Trump supporter to deciding not to vote after these revelations. He's a hardcore religious conservative, and was just going to bite the bullet and support the Republican nominee (while hoping Pence would run the show or something). Hopefully we see the fallout across a wide swath of religious voters (and if that LDS paper in Utah is any indication, it's already happening).

A major reason they've stuck with Trump this long is because they need his voters. Abandoning him now jeopardizes a lot of votes. Sure, most republican voters are smart enough to realize not voting for senate/congress is ludicrous/has major risks, but if even a decent percentage of Trump voters only vote for Trump it could have major consequences for the GOP. Especially now with Trump openly warring with the establishment. He's essentially telling his supporters not to vote for anyone who disavows him.

edit: look at Blunt in MO. He knows his electorate is very pro-Trump, hence sticking with Trump.

Besides that, he hasn't spent enough time preparing for this debate to just apologize and move on. He spent the past week doing rallies and superficial town hall "practice", and by most accounts spent the weekend following the WAPO story stewing in seclusion with his closest deplorables, but not actually studying.

Not only is he physically and mentally incapable of apologizing and moving on, he hasn't prepared to do anything different from his previous debate (which was a resounding loss) other than attack Bill Clinton.

The scorched earth stuff? He can wing that. He doesn't need to prepare or practice for it. It's his most comfortable element.

Boke1879

My mom was watching Face the Nation just a bit ago with Rudy on there and she's just pissed. She has no idea why he brought up Hillary at all.

This shit isn't going to do well for them and even I noticed Rudy kinda backed off that line of attack.

A major reason they've stuck with Trump this long is because they need his voters. Abandoning him now jeopardizes a lot of votes. Sure, most republican voters are smart enough to realize not voting for senate/congress is ludicrous/has major risks, but if even a decent percentage of Trump voters only vote for Trump it could have major consequences for the GOP. Especially now with Trump openly warring with the establishment. He's essentially telling his supporters not to vote for anyone who disavows him.

edit: look at Blunt in MO. He knows his electorate is very pro-Trump, hence sticking with Trump.

Most republican voters, and most voters overall- have no idea what congress even does or who controls it.

They assume the presidency is a lot more powerful than it really is, and takes the blame or credit for pretty much everything.

sazzy

Hugh Hewiit on MSNBC looks like he's watching his house burn down and he can't move a muscle

edit- OMG ^^^^

Goodstyle

Hillary NEEDS to crush Trump over the Bill Clinton stuff. That would be the final, fatal blow to his campaign that is needed. If she doesn't have a good answer for that and lets him hammer her, anything can happen. She needs to shut it down right out the gates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom