• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syncytia

Here's the thing. Trump is ALWAYS confident. That's why he's in the position he's in right now.

I'd actually be worried if Trump actually had a moment of clarity. Took a day or so off and can back on message.

We all know Trump cannot sustain the 'on message' Trump for more than a couple days, in the best of circumstances.

It's gonna be unbearable waiting for the election to get here. I need it nooow.

Tbh, if the campaign keeps going as it is, it could go on forever as far as I'm concerned.

Trump knows this is his last stand, and being a loud, angry buffoon got him the nomination.

I hope he goes all out. The "I ran out of fucks to give" kind of person when they have nothing to lose. The time they are fired and tell everyone off. \

He can start by calling Clinton a <insert derogatory word(s) for women here>. This country's problem with security is because of <insert derogatory slang(s) for race(s) and nationalities>. Make fun of disabled people. Blame the country's economy on <insert derogatory word(s) for homosexuals>. Heck, call for an all white, straight America where women are subservient to men. He can finish with, "And you know what? Fuck the establishment. Drop the mike and walk out".

Something we can tell our grand kids we all saw live.

Here's the thing. Trump is ALWAYS confident. That's why he's in the position he's in right now.

I'd actually be worried if Trump actually had a moment of clarity. Took a day or so off and can back on message.

Ding ding! We have a winner. Except the last part, Trump is unable to do that because of his ego Hair Mouse.

Speaking of which. I'm pretty sure Hair Mouse is actually Visser Three.

Corto

The question was dumb though. It's not because of the national debt people around her lost their jobs, so I think it caught HW off-gaurd. He's like wtf is she talking about. The moderator tried to correct that from national debt to recession, but HW was too far gone down the national debt talking point and became defensive, since that doesn't affect him (or anyone for that matter). Slick Willy immediately caught the truth of what the lady was asking, which is, it's been a crappy economy and how he could relate to it.

National debt doesn't affect people? The interest rates alone on an exploding debt will weigh in on the budget. The more money the gov spend servicing the debt the less is spent with public services.

So they abandoned Trump when he bashed that war hero, right? Lol.

I'm not a Christian but I Am a religious studies major, and the one thing I can say with near absolute certainty is that 90%+ of church sermons delivered around this country are no different than an episode of Sean Hannity. They're for people to tune in and get their ego stroked and made to feel superior to other religions or political beliefs.

Near every church sermon, while admonishing believers to be better and more fully live out the teachings of the Bible, contrast with the behavior of non-believers as an inferior group. Whether the "non-believers" are manifested as Hollywood, liberals, atheists, Muslims, modern society, etc. the message is always there.

"We're better than them, were soldiers for Christ and the Kingdom, and we need to remember to act like it".

There is a humility before the Lord God, but a superiority from non-believers that is reinforced over and over again.

So it's only a matter of time before the superiority complex influences parisheners more than the need to be humble and better.
Bit off topic, but while I agree that this is an earned dominant image of modern American Christianity, I take issue with your assessment that this describes 90%+ of sermonizing.

Though I'm markedly less religious now than I was growing up, I went to about five different churches of a variety of denominations in a variety of places across the country throughout my childhood and I cannot remember a single instance of that sort of Fox News superiority stuff...it was invariably about doing good works, being a good person and respecting people no matter what.

I could be the most statistically lucky person alive, of course, but I get the sense that there are vast swathes of American Christianity that are quite inclusive and focus on the "love thy neighbor" messaging over the ego-stroking bullshit. Problem is, they're quiet, unassuming and very boring in comparison to the self righteous hellfire megachurches that attract so much attention, so the latter unfortunately gets to define the former.

Ecotic

To be fair, it was a pretty confusing question. Bill being able to answer that question well was amazing.
Yeah the questioner thought the existence of a national debt is what caused recessions.

Bill realized the question was irrelevant it was just an opportunity to spin it into an attack on trickle-down economics and Bush.

Boke1879

What if Trump doesn't go to the final debate

If the debate goes well for us and whatever happens Monday morning. I doubt he goes to the final debate. The fallout of this weekend will permeate throughout next week.

Places like The View will no doubt be showing the audio and discussing it. The late night shows will no doubt talk about the debate but I figure they'll still talk about the audio and the lost GOP endorsements.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The question was dumb though. It's not because of the national debt people around her lost their jobs, so I think it caught HW off-gaurd. He's like wtf is she talking about. The moderator tried to correct that from national debt to recession, but HW was too far gone down the national debt talking point and became defensive, since that doesn't affect him (or anyone for that matter). Slick Willy immediately caught the truth of what the lady was asking, which is, it's been a crappy economy and how he could relate to it.

Yeah I agree. Although it's not really clear that Bill caught on immediately. He had the whole time that HW was fumbling to figure out what was really being asked.

National debt doesn't affect people? The interest rates alone on an exploding debt will weigh in on the budget. The more money the gov spend servicing the debt the less is spent with public services.

The interest on the debt raises your tax burden to a degree, but not by enough to say that you can really and truly feel how that burden is weighing you down. You can't improve the economy by doing nothing but aggressively targeting the national debt. If anything, that would make the economy worse.

Are the twitter Nazis engaging in some Youtube fuckery for debate night? I just got a notification for a recommended video from Breitbart news titled "Juanita Broaddrick Relives Bill Clinton Rape/Hillary Intimidation."

In other words, shit that I'm not subscribed to and wouldn't watch in a million years.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

He's eating a question about the tape tonight, we know that. His response is 95% certain to be inelegant and rambling. Stack that on top of poll numbers coming out later this week and more tapes coming...I could see it. He started wriggling out of the primary debates as the herd started thinning. He'll say that the moderators have been very unkind to him and use that as an excuse to withdraw from the last debate.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Pretty nice piece from NBC about what people inside the campaign are saying.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/inside-trump-campaign-s-moment-crisis-n662776

I thought this bit was interesting.

Highlighting another growing divide over messaging, Giuliani also said Trump would likely "not bring up Bill Clinton's personal life" in Sunday's debate even as Trump brought them up in a taped apology on Friday night and tweeted repeatedly about Juanita Broaddrick on Saturday and Sunday.

Has me wondering if his aides have been urging him to NOT bring it up, but he's insistent.

I'm starting to think him not doing the last debate is no longer a pipe dream.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Yeah but news flash, people in this country are fucking stupid. Clinton found a way to directly contrast with his elitist loser opponent and connect with the voter.

kevin1025

Banned

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/inside-trump-campaign-s-moment-crisis-n662776

Has me wondering if his aides have been urging him to NOT bring it up, but he's insistent.

Haha, this part.

Giuliani insisted that Conway was still on board and that he had been chosen to represent Trump at the last minute because he was the only one "willing" to do so.

So telling.

Vahagn

Bit off topic, but while I agree that this is an earned dominant image of modern American Christianity, I take issue with your assessment that this describes 90%+ of sermonizing.

Though I'm markedly less religious now than I was growing up, I went to about five different churches of a variety of denominations in a variety of places across the country throughout my childhood and I cannot remember a single instance of that sort of Fox News superiority stuff...it was invariably about doing good works, being a good person and respecting people no matter what.

I could be the most statistically lucky person alive, of course, but I get the sense that there are vast swathes of American Christianity that are quite inclusive and focus on the "love thy neighbor" messaging over the ego-stroking bullshit. Problem is, they're quiet, unassuming and very boring in comparison to the self-righteous hellfire megachurches that attract so much attention, so the latter, unfortunately, gets to define the former.

I think maybe the way I described Sean Hannity made it seem like churches are equally boisterous. They're not. But this overall message is there, I would argue, the vast majority of the time.

They can be throwaway lines, discussion of current events, discussions of the devil - but they're ever-present, even when subtle.

The implication with the devil is that the Devil has influence and hold over non-believers who don't have the protection of Christ. The implication with negative current events (from a school shooting, to poverty, to crime) is that REAL Christians don't behave this way and that the spiraling immorality of society is due, in part, to the taking of Christianity away from public life.

This isn't surprising by the way. The stories of Sodom and Gomorrah, Noah's Ark, Moses' exodus and even Jesus' salvation are reinforced with the idea that the unbelievers are given earthly and spiritual torment - AND THAT THEY DESERVE IT.

The implication of "we are better, and we have to strive to keep being better than THEM" is always there. (And it's not just Christianity by the way, it's a consistent calling card of most organized religious services).

The common general framework (if I could be overly generalistic) is:

- Mention a Bible passage or current event you're going to focus on

- Talk about examples (with the implication that this is how non-Christians behave)

- Talk about some in the parish may be behaving this way too, and try to be better.

But whether the audience member actually tries to be better or not, after repeated yearly sermons they leave with the general sense that the outside world is so immoral, so fucked up, and so in line with what the Devil wants from humanity.

Boke1879

I truly believe Kellyanne, Christie and Priebus were probably trying to convince him not to bring it up. It's just not a good look for him.

Corto

Yeah I agree. Although it's not really clear that Bill caught on immediately. He had the whole time that HW was fumbling to figure out what was really being asked.

The interest on the debt raises your tax burden to a degree, but not by enough to say that you can really and truly feel how that burden is weighing you down. You can't improve the economy by doing nothing but aggressively targeting the national debt. If anything, that would make the economy worse.

Well, as an European and a Portuguese I just find the idea that national debt doesn't affect the economy rather alien. For the USA maybe that's true, but for small countries where interest rates skyrocket and austerity implemented as the only way to keep borrowing money to function as a country, national debt is rather asphyxiating to our economies.

HylianTom

Banned
I love seeing this guy talk. No way can he go to SCOTUS; I want to see him every two years for the next few decades.

Even when Hillary wins, I'm going to bawl when they show the helicopter with the Obamas leaving the White House.

sazzy

I thought we would get this level of entertainment on/after election day

but a month before?

VZOijc.jpg

Wag

Does Trump have anything to gain by appearing at the debate at this point? You'd think he'd have more to gain by not showing up. (or at least not make things worse)

Zukkoyaki

but a month before?
This is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. Wow.

Nothing and I mean NOTHING would be more beautiful than Hillary having a fantastic presidency and watching people like this twist and squirm about how we're living in some horrific dystopia.

Owzers

Does Trump have anything to gain by appearing at the debate at this point? You'd think he'd have more to gain by not showing up. (or at least not make things worse)
He's going to win by calling her an enabler and then everyone will love him again.

Remember how Romney was attacked for not talking Benghazi enough? Clinton rape accusations and hillarys role is the new thing a candidate will regret not attacking enough if they lose.

Dierce

These trump supporters are deplorable shits. Fucking turds, every last one of them. I just can't fucking rationalize how a religious person can support that man. Fucking racists, sexists assholes.

Slizeezyc

but a month before?

Holy shitballs. They're all certifiable in their own way, but isn't the inheritance thing only even on like 10+ million dollars? The Russian one is funny because Trump-Putin. Trump brings over immigrants already. And the Syrian one is just sweet Jebus insanity.

sazzy

This is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. Wow.

Nothing and I mean NOTHING would be more beautiful than Hillary having a fantastic presidency and watching people like this twist and squirm about how we're living in some horrific dystopia.

That's exactly why they hate Obama - because he did a great job in his 8 years, and not a slightest hint of a scandal during that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom