• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slacker

Bill Maher ‏@billmaher 19m19 minutes ago
Wouldn't it be awesome if in the middle of it Hillary took out a tic tac

GutsOfThor

Literally, I feel like the silliest worry is that Trump will manage to do well tonight. There is nothing whatsoever to suggest that this is the case. He is floating the Bill rape stuff because he wants to intimidate Hillary into not attacking him. He is a bully. Bullies do not fight on an even keel, and they surely don't throw a punch against someone stronger than they are.

He will still be woefully unprepared. He will have no idea how to last 90 minutes in a town hall format where everyone isn't kissing your ass. His campaign is so far off the rails, that I don't think god herself could fix it.

Y'all need alcohol, weed or Xanax. :)

'll be a nervous wreck in 2 hours but I get the high ground for now

Pretty much this. I am no longer worried about Clinton. She knows exactly what she is doing.

Seriously, how do I set my expectations for tonight's debate?

Trump has to have a contrite answer for the video leak, but we also know he's gonna be hot and attack both Clintons. Then you add in the town hall format and the fact that both candidates can walk around the stage. I really don't know what to expect.
Take my word. Its going to be a trainwreck for Trump. Its going to be the worst debate performance in the history of the republic.

Debirudog

Trump has to live on an echochamber and a teleprompter to even look a little presidential. Without 'em, he could only last 20 minutes and given how the last few days went, there is no way Trump is mentally capable to even last as long as he did in the first one.

there is no disciplined Trump.

Seriously, how do I set my expectations for tonight's debate?

Trump has to have a contrite answer for the video leak, but we also know he's gonna be hot and attack both Clintons. Then you add in the town hall format and the fact that both candidates can walk around the stage. I really don't know what to expect.

It's not like an apology, even a good one, matters. First of all, it's not believable even if he sells it well. Second, no one's going to re-re-endorse him who already pulled out. Third, there's more and worse coming so unless he literally stopped being a piece of shit on camera in 2005 "a long time ago" is going to have to have a pretty specific definition.

Edit: Bonus fourth, it's likely Clinton knows what "more and worse" is and Trump doesn't.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Literally, I feel like the silliest worry is that Trump will manage to do well tonight. There is nothing whatsoever to suggest that this is the case. He is floating the Bill rape stuff because he wants to intimidate Hillary into not attacking him. He is a bully. Bullies do not fight on an even keel, and they surely don't throw a punch against someone stronger than they are.

He will still be woefully unprepared. He will have no idea how to last 90 minutes in a town hall format where everyone isn't kissing your ass. His campaign is so far off the rails, that I don't think god herself could fix it.

Yup. He's a classic bully, even last time I'm not sure he really attacked her directly.

Erin is the worst. "This is unusual. Trump is the underdog". Like, when has Trump been leading the polls.

Can CNN let her go pls.

She's really not good. Let her do business news, she seems good at that.

watershed

Banned
Take my word. Its going to be a trainwreck for Trump. Its going to be the worst debate performance in the history of the republic.

I hope so. I don't think he's going to be good at all. I think he's going to be angry, loud, and terrible. I think he will actively put off the town hall audience. I just think it's going to be the oddest mix of The Maury Show and a normal political town hall mixed with 2 moderators who will try to do what exactly when Trump goes off? It's gonna be wild.

I actually don't think he'll do much worse than the first one. In fact, he may do a bit better. But, the problem is, he has public opinion entirely against him at this point. People are going to be hyper aware of everything, and Hillary is fighting from a position of insane strength. During the first, he was an unknown quantity. The public now knows he will fucking choke.

I also do expect him to go after the GOP establishment tonight. They aren't on stage. He can throw punches at them.

There's a reason Trump talks about poll numbers so much. He needs the constant validation. If he is losing, and he knows he is, I don't think he gets super desperate. I think he gets completely unsure, because he needs something to hold onto. He'll have nothing tonight, so he'll fold like he did in Mexico.

Then afterwards, he'll scream and bellow on Twitter.

Trump has to live on an echochamber and a teleprompter to even look a little presidential. Without 'em, he could only last 20 minutes and given how the last few days went, there is no way Trump is mentally capable to debate with a seasoned and battle-hardened Clinton.

there is no disciplined Trump.
+Anderson Cooper is not a doormat. He's going to go hard on Trump's Iraq denial.

Dierce

My prediction for start of the debate:
1) Clinton opens up and references the video as a culmination of other deplorable things trump has said throughout the campaign, listing each of them. She then moves on saying that she looks forward to showing America what her ideas are during the debate.

2) trump gets asked about the video, apologizes and moves on saying that he too, wants to focus on sharing his ideas with America and not focus on distractions that dont help solve problems. (Every other time the video is brought up he just apologizes and doesn't add anything substantive, doesn't mention Bill at all)

3) Clinton is asked questions about the foundation and the leaks. Offers a clear explanation of what the foundation does and throws shade at the trump foundation and business being a conflict of interest by about using trade with China as a means to benefit his own business. Clinton will then offer the same Russia hacked and modified the documents as an explanation for the leaks, but elaborate some more on the context.

4) trump is asked about the tax evasion and keeps saying that he did the smart thing and that other Americans would do the same thing in that situation. Ending with the obvious, only I can fix the tax issue.

5) Clinton counters the tax evasion by stating that he did not contribute money towards veterans, education, healthcare etc. How can we let the wolf in charge of the hen house. trump accuses Clinton of being a liar who doesn't care about her liberal base according to the leaks.

Overall this is my worst case scenario for Clinton. One where trump does't lose focus, sticks to talking points and refers to Clinton as part of the establishment that is ruining america at every chance he gets.

In this situation it would end up a draw according to the commentators who will try to keep the race alive until the final debate. I certainly hope this doesn't happen and Clinton absolutely crushes him.

Lewandowski just went on Reince Priebus and called him a weak leader. The civil war has actually begun. If this was Trump does this tonight....oh my god

Retro

But Kellyanne always wants to speak. Where was she?

Watching the moonlight dance a mellow waltz on the distant waves as the passenger ship to Portugal cut through the North Atlantic. She pulled her heavy coat close, feeling the high collar against her cheeks, a boon to ward against the other passengers as much as the cold. No one drew near the melancholy figure staring into the icy waters, just as no one had helped her book passage, and no one would be waiting for her. She was alone in every sense of the word.

A crew man suddenly appeared beside her, glancing at her sideways. For a few gut-wrenching heartbeats she was certain he recognized her. Then he spoke.

"Ma'am, are you alt right?"​

She felt her stomach drop almost a foot; it was too late. She'd been found. She wouldn't escape after all. For a moment a sort of madness took hold of her, and before she could stop herself she lashed out.

"What did you say to me?"

"I asked if you were all right. Are you?"​

"I... I..." She heard herself stammer. "I'm... yes, I'm fine".​

Suddenly, both the crewman and the madness slipped away with nothing to cling to but the icy rail at the edge of the deck. She took her eyes off the horizon and looked down into the gelid water below. It would be so easy to jump.

A small chunk of ice drifted beneath her and she was surprised to hear herself laughing, though the sound seemed so far away. The ice caps really were melting, her career really was over, her former boss really was going to lose. Everything she had been so certain of in July - a lifetime ago - had been wrong. She looked ahead to see a few distant icebergs looming in the distance, and silently willed them closer. She'd already survived one sinking ship, what were the odds she'd survive another?

Boke1879

Yall just gotta chill. Clinton has been preparing for this since Wednesday. Not only that she's great at Town Halls. Sure she'll get some tough questions and have to answer for it, but I can't see her getting rattled which is the only thing I'd be worried about.

Trump has shown no ability change or at the very least prep for a debate that means so much to his campaign right now.

Trump has literally had the most shittiest cycle after the first debate. There hasn't been a good news story for him at all since then and it came to a head on Friday. He's the one playing defense. It's the GOP that's imploding and Trump shitting on them.

I mean I get that something can always go wrong. Do I expect Hillary to have the perfect answer to everything tonight? No. But I have far more of a belief that Trump will fuck up because he hasn't proven otherwise.

Also I just heard Christie won't be at the debate.

Trump digging his own grave is entertaining* and all but I would like something more substantive to come out of the debate. There better be questions about immigration and climate change.

*And horrifying

diaspora

This conservative schism is more vicious than the Progressive Conservative/ Reform/ Alliance fracture in the 90s and early 2000s.

Iolo

It is frustrating that Clinton has baggage on so many issues that even when you're talking about sexual assault there's an out for Trump when he says but what about Bill. Clinton could win but it will always be by less than a better candidate. I don't think it's wrong to say Democrats made a mistake in clearing the way for her.

Thought: Maybe she worked really hard for years and won fair and square instead of, say, men just giving the job to her

pigeon

Banned
My prediction for start of the debate:
1) Clinton opens up and references the video as a culmination of other deplorable things trump has said throughout the campaign, listing each of them. She then moves on saying that she looks forward to showing America what her ideas are during the debate.

2) trump gets asked about the video, apologizes and moves on saying that he too, wants to focus on sharing his ideas with America and not focus on distractions that dont help solve problems. (Every other time the video is brought up he just apologizes and doesn't add anything substantive, doesn't mention Bill at all)

3) Clinton is asked questions about the foundation and the leaks. Offers a clear explanation of what the foundation does and throws shade at the trump foundation and business being a conflict of interest by about using trade with China as a means to benefit his own business. Clinton will then offer the same Russia hacked and modified the documents as an explanation for the leaks, but elaborate some more on the context.

4) trump is asked about the tax evasion and keeps saying that he did the smart thing and that other Americans would do the same thing in that situation. Ending with the obvious, only I can fix the tax issue.

5) Clinton counters the tax evasion by stating that he did not contribute money towards veterans, education, healthcare etc. How can we let the wolf in charge of the hen house. trump accuses Clinton of being a liar who doesn't care about her liberal base according to the leaks.

Overall this is my worst case scenario for Clinton. One where trump does't lose focus, sticks to talking points and refers to Clinton as part of the establishment that is ruining america at every chance he gets.

In this situation it would end up a draw according to the commentators who will try to keep the race alive until the final debate. I certainly hope this doesn't happen and Clinton absolutely crushes him.

What in the world would make you think literally any part of the above would happen?

PoliGAFfers want a horserace more than CNN does.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I bet we'll get at least one email/wikileaks question from the audience that will get awkward for Clinton.

Yeah, I was trying to find the McCaskill answer and I can't. I think this is actually not that difficult; the transcripts were pretty demure (I'd characterize the public/private thing as a negotiating strategy) but I do want to see how someone who is pretty smooth with this stuff handles them.

edit: Note that Dierce's "prediction" is again the "worst case" for Clinton.

Steve Bannon and Roger Ailes are trying to inform Donald Trump on how to attack Hillary for her husband being a sexual predator.

Anyone bedwetting must live in fear at all times.

Diablos

I think it's totally legitimate to have some worry that things could go not as smoothly as anticipated for Hillary. You have to figure everything is on the line here. We could potentially win back the House, provided the Trump ship keeps sinking. So if he does the unexpected and actually turns in a respectable performance, or at least gains back some ground, you never know how that could change the narrative in the media. This is the fight of Trump's life and for Democrats, something that can and should cement another two years of progressive policy. This is a once in 10 years kind of opportunity. This is huge.

Veelk

Banned
I actually don't think he'll do much worse than the first one. In fact, he may do a bit better. But, the problem is, he has public opinion entirely against him at this point. People are going to be hyper aware of everything, and Hillary is fighting from a position of insane strength. During the first, he was an unknown quantity. The public now knows he will fucking choke.

I also do expect him to go after the GOP establishment tonight. They aren't on stage. He can throw punches at them.

There's a reason Trump talks about poll numbers so much. He needs the constant validation. If he is losing, and he knows he is, I don't think he gets super desperate. I think he gets completely unsure, because he needs something to hold onto. He'll have nothing tonight, so he'll fold like he did in Mexico.

Then afterwards, he'll scream and bellow on Twitter.

I think the big difference is that he went into the first debate atleast someone sure of himself. He had no reason to believe he couldn't belittle Hillary with his insults, had the GOP backing him, and had, atleast in his mind, a complete winning record.

Now, the GOP has abandoned him. He realizes he can't take Hillary down easily. He's furious that his VP put in a better performance than he did. And now public opinion is against him and he needs to answer to a town hall debate....to the actual people, not a moderator. There's talk around him how he feels more isolated and frustrated than ever.

He's in a different place mentally than he was in the first debate. So I do think he'll do worse.

diaspora

Yeah, I was trying to find the McCaskill answer and I can't. I think this is actually not that difficult; the transcripts were pretty demure (I'd characterize the public/private thing as a negotiating strategy) but I do want to see how someone who is pretty smooth with this stuff handles them.

edit: Note that Dierce's "prediction" is again the "worst case" for Clinton.

IIRC it was that she was referring to using public and private positions for policy negotiations. Taking a public facing position to negotiate a favourable private position.

example: Taking a more "extreme" position to negotiate a more "moderate" position that falls in line more with your beliefs.

What in the world would make you think literally any part of the above would happen?

PoliGAFfers want a horserace more than CNN does.
Check out the few pages of poligaf before the first debate started. So much bedwetting it overflowed the drainage and drowned everyone in the thread. Bedwetters are gonna wet beds.

User1608

Banned
I think some more bombs are going to drop tomorrow.
Yepppp.
Good

Tear each apart
Good, gooood
oh god he's on blast too
It was quite the sight.
Steve Bannon and Roger Ailes are trying to inform Donald Trump on how to attack Hillary for her husband being a sexual predator.

Anyone bedwetting must live in fear at all times.
Indeed, lol. Ailes and Bannon are such hypocritical monsters. Like Trump. Tonight is going to be a gigantic implosion.

Ding II

How could the tape not change views lol

Eh, it didn't change my views in any significant way, and that's how I'd respond if asked by a pollster. I've felt that Trump was a dangerous cretin for many months now. This weekend changed nothing in that respect. Maybe it hardened my opinion a bit.

Frankly, if pussygate has managed to change a particular person's opinion of Trump in a significant way, it's pretty damn clear that they haven't been paying any attention, and in a perfect world, wouldn't be part of the electorate. But I guess a little bit of awareness, acquired perilously late, is still better than none.

Toxi

Banned
Trump digging his own grave is entertaining* and all but I would like something more substantive to come out of the debate. There better be questions about immigration and climate change.

*And horrifying
The problem is those questions need to be addressed to Clinton for anything substantive on policy.

Boke1879

The surrogates got their talking points earlier today. I have no doubts tomorrow the RNC is going to pull away from Trump and focus on down ballot. So the surrogates are going to hammer Priebus, and the GOP.\

Would not be shocked if Trump went on a rant/attack on them tonight as well.

Watching the moonlight dance a mellow waltz on the distant waves as the passenger ship to Portugal cut through the North Atlantic. She pulled her heavy coat close, feeling the high collar against her cheeks, a boon to ward against the other passengers as much as the cold. No one drew near the melancholy figure staring into the icy waters, just as no one had helped her book passage, and no one would be waiting for her. She was alone in every sense of the word.

A crew man suddenly appeared beside her, glancing at her sideways. For a few gut-wrenching heartbeats she was certain he recognized her. Then he spoke.

"Ma'am, are you alt right?"​

She felt her stomach drop almost a foot; it was too late. She'd been found. She wouldn't escape after all. For a moment a sort of madness took hold of her, and before she could stop herself she lashed out.

"What did you say to me?"

"I asked if you were all right. Are you?"​

"I... I..." She heard herself stammer. "I'm... yes, I'm fine".​

Suddenly, both the crewman and the madness slipped away with nothing to cling to but the icy rail at the edge of the deck. She took her eyes off the horizon and looked down into the gelid water below. It would be so easy to jump.

Suddenly, a small chunk of ice drifted into view and she laughed. The ice caps really were melting, her career really was over, her former boss really was going to lose. Everything she had been so certain of in July - a lifetime ago - had been wrong. She looked ahead to see a few distant icebergs looming in the distance, and silently willed them closer. She'd already survived one sinking ship, what were the odds she'd survive another?
Perfect

The problem is those questions need to be addressed to Clinton for anything substantive on policy.
That's fine, let her field those questions, actually answer them with intelligence and nuance so she can continue to look like the only adult on stage while Trump yells on and on about nothing of any importance.

Edit: I guess my point is I just want her to treat this like a Presidential debate while Trump continues to flail about. Go after Trump when necessary, sure, but then get back to why she isn't just better than him but the best choice period.

Hillary wins if she doesn't pass out on stage. It's that bad for Trump.

Even if she does pass out, honestly Trump will say some absurd shit and at worst, it's called a draw.

I mean, people here suddenly think Trump will be imbued with the spirit of Abraham Lincoln cutting his second inaugural speech or some fucking bullshit every time. And every time, Trump acts like he's acted for decades of his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom