• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
so what happens now

I was hoping for more brutal takedowns but it didn't happen

kinda disappointed

what's the next scandal

Trump is out of ammo, he will keep trying the Bill Clinton stuff

Hillary will ignore it and do her thing

We all wait for the next Trump bombshell (which apparently everyone thinks/knows is out there)

Farmboy

Am I alone in thinking Trump was even worse than last time? Just unhinged and nasty, and even more obviously uninformed.

Of course, Hillary failed to bring her A-game and went into cautious-mode, so the media get to claim that Trump was 'much improved, beat expectations!'

Which is annoying, but I guess any result that preserves the trajectory is more than good enough.

I think of Piketty as Marx 2.0, but I know there's quite a bit of debate about this. Anyway, not getting into that.
The only way I get this characterization is if you've read neither Piketty nor Marx.

Like Piketty doesn't want to seize any means of production, he just wants a global wealth tax. Ooh, "Marxism "

Am I alone in thinking Trump was even worse than last time? Just unhinged and nasty, and even more obviously uninformed.

Of course, Hillary failed to bring her A-game and went into cautious-mode, so the media get to claim that Trump was 'much improved, beat expectations!'

Which is annoying, but I guess any result that preserves the trajectory is more than good enough.

Yup, I said the same thing. He seemed way worse this time around.

I think Trump was "better" simply because the Clinton team apparently thought it would be better to let Trump spout much of his bullshit with little pushback. Hillary left a lot on the table in that debate

wutwutwut

The only way I get this characterization is if you've read neither Piketty nor Marx.

Like Piketty doesn't want to seize any means of production, he just wants a global wealth tax. Ooh, "Marxism "
I've read both, thanks. Seriously not getting into it — I've had too many debates about this at this point :)

Maledict

The media story around the debate is fascinating. Despite the polls saying Clinton won, no-one is able to say that. It's all her failure to deliver a knock out blow and his angry words. 'Stemmed the bleeding' is a phrase being used constantly across the media world.

Slightly concerned because we know that reactions on the night don't matter, and it's the post debate narrative that does - and right now for whatever reason the press is hellbent on 'draw with Trump doing better than thought' as a message. Clintons team had best be ready to go into overdrive for the next few days.

Pixieking

Banned
In a stunning reversal, theologian pulls back support from Donald Trump

One pro-life leader who declined to be named said she does not know what to do and is reconsidering her support for Trump. Many abortion opponents find it difficult to back Clinton. “It’s hard to know what to do,” she said. “He is a disaster, but she is, too.”
If Donald Trump has done anything, he has snuffed out the Religious Right

We know nothing new about Donald Trump. He has told us about his view of women, his view of sexuality, his views of marriage and family for more than 30 years. He has gloried in reality television decadence before reality television was even invented, in his boasts to tabloid reporters. He reaffirmed who he is over and over again, even during this campaign — from misogynistic statements to racist invective to crazed conspiracy theorizing.

And yet here stands the old-guard Religious Right establishment. Some are defending or waving this away, with the same old tropes they’ve used throughout this campaign.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think of Piketty as Marx 2.0, but I know there's quite a bit of debate about this. Anyway, not getting into that.

Piketty is absolutely nothing like Marx at all. There's a really good write-up in Le Monde that discusses this (in English, don't worry):

http://mondediplo.com/2015/05/12piketty

Piketty doesn't actually discuss capital, in the Marxist sense. He discusses wealth.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
It feels like a movie, and that we're at the part where the protagonist after some hardships have assembled an adequate entourage to once and for all defeat the antagonist, who is in his final form. This election must be rigged by Hollywood.

benjipwns

Banned
Okay, so, when you search for old posts and are going through PoliGAF past you really come across a lot of banned people you forgot were regulars...anyway to answer this now.
Benji, what are your political views?
I claim voluntaryism primarily for simplicity's sake.

my sparsly updated page of politik may inform or confuse: http://politologie.tumblr.com/

This list I made potatoman as the list of "benji essentials" I probably would not change...because it's not 100% agreement, it's general concepts being important. I still love Huemer, I don't care for his David Friedman like second half utopianism, but that's okay, because the first half is more key, same with others:
Huemer, Michael. The problem of political authority : an examination of the right to coerce and the duty to obey. Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.

Bakunin, Mikhail A., and Marshall Shatz. Statism and anarchy. Cambridge New York: Cambridge University Press, 1990.

Bastiat, Frédéric. The Law. Dean Russell, trans. Irvington-on-Hudson, NY: Foundation for Economic Education, Inc. 1998. Library of Economics and Liberty [Online] available from http://www.econlib.org/library/Bastiat/basLaw.html; accessed 11 August 2014; Internet.

Hayek, Friedrich A. The road to serfdom. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1994.

Kropotkin, Petr A., and Thomas H. Huxley. Mutual aid, a factor of evolution. Boston: Extending Horizons Books, 1955.

Mises, Ludwig von. The clash of group interests Auburn, Ala: Ludwig von Mises Institute, 2011.

Rothbard, Murray N. Egalitarianism as a revolt against nature, and other essays. Auburn, Ala: Ludwig von Mises Institute, 2000.

I agree more often with things found on:
https://c4ss.org/
http://praxeology.net/all-left.htm

Than I do with something like LewRockwell. (The website, not the guy.) reason is hit or miss and too electorally engaged I think. Although both also publish Sheldon Richman and Roderick T. Long (who owns praxeology.net) so it's more fair to say "writers on each" than to lump all writers on a site together. I mean the wrestler, Kane, wrote for LewRockwell after all.

Ayn Rand was a totalitarian, Objectivism is a totalitarian cult.

At the same time, this article for a website I never heard of that I see got posted today is really pretty accurate and funny: http://www.thelibertyconservative.com/become-left-libertarian/

Man, Hillary comes off great when chatting with reporters on her plane. Seems genuine and down-to-earth.
Watch Journeys with George from Alexandra Pelosi. (Yes, of those Pelosi's.)

Joeytj

Banned
Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you had never considered. That is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence.

Best Q quote (really, the only one that matters in all of TNG)

Piketty is absolutely nothing like Marx at all. There's a really good write-up in Le Monde that discusses this (in English, don't worry):

http://mondediplo.com/2015/05/12piketty

Piketty doesn't actually discuss capital, in the Marxist sense. He discusses wealth.
I've taken classes under Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman, two colleagues and collaborators of Piketty. They all study inequality, and they're clearly all keynesians, and like not even wacky post-keynesians.

They've all been called Marxists, though it's usually by the right, so this is kinda odd.

wutwutwut

Thanks Benji! Your posts make a lot of sense now.

I have my disagreements with libertarianism (I don't just mean right libertarianism here) generally, but I do respect it. (I think nothing matters anyway — I strongly believe all current economics will be upended within the next century.)

Was at the goddamn football game so had to hear it on the radio later and am just getting video clips now.

Though it's true that Trump sounded simply awful most of the time, he didn't come across as poorly via voice only. Sniffling was DEAFENING on radio, though. His endless lie rants including that opening about the rape victim sounded really brutal and Clinton ignored all of it. I think it was the right decision to largely let all the lying go and talk on, but without more context it was cringey in places to know she was just letting go.

At about a half hour I was bored and for awhile in the middle I have no idea what the questions were or what anyone was actually trying to make a point about. Clinton on email was simply terrible, though. God. Her answer on "this is what I've done for 30 years" was her high point. Dropping actual truth bombs against bullshit on healthcare, immigration/diversity and energy were all great.

Trump bombed Syria/Russia, the tax confession, and locking her up so terribly that I'm curious if the video could possibly make my impressions any worse. Analysis that he was mostly talking to his base are on point, which is actually great for Clinton since he'll just keep bleeding within the actual party while looking like he stabilized things.

Were you to remove the despotic jailing threat and other few top whoppers it wouldn't have been worth my time to just listen to and it wasn't anywhere near as explosive as I thought it'd be. Not that that's bad. For Clinton's campaign that's perfect right now.

Omiee

1 hour in she is winning pretty easily, trump is such an idiot. somebody should look into the sniffing.

moderators are pretty good to be honest.

sazzy

Media outlets should clearly state that, when they that the debate was a new low and filled with insults, it was Donald who was flinging the shit all over the place; Clinton was trying her best to steer the debate towards policy.

Also, Donald is basically throwing a temper tantrum and directing it towards the Clinton camp - even though his lewd tapes were released by two independent media outlets.

sazzy

When Donald interrupts Clinton:

"Donald, you say you respect women. One way to show that respect is to not interrupt a woman when she's talking"

edit- Also.last night when Donald mentioned Michelle, I was really hoping he would try and diss her and spiral out of control

Media outlets should clearly state that, when they that the debate was a new low and filled with insults, it was Donald who was flinging the shit all over the place; Clinton was trying her best to steer the debate towards policy.

Also, Donald is basically throwing a temper tantrum and directing it towards the Clinton camp - even though his lewd tapes were released by two independent media outlets.

Donald Trump asked for his opponent to be jailed.

Hillary Clinton said Donald attacks women.

Both sides narrative right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom