• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefro

Lololololol. All of these supposed Christians lining up to support someone who clearly doesn't give two shits about being a moral human.

Like I said, evangelism is less anout morality and God and more about being a tool of political and hateful bigotry.

Yeah, they generally either want to scam their followers and get rich and/or want to use the government to impose their moral values on people.

GusBus

g8eOP3.png

I know there's been endless speculation about this, but you have to wonder what Tump's endgame is here. I'm increasingly convinced he never really wanted the presidency, and Ryan's "betrayal" is an easy way out.

We'll never know for sure, but if this whole thing turns out to merely be a platform for launching the Trump News Network (as many have suggested) I will not be the least bit surprised. Why else would you actively wage war on your party leader like this? (Besides being an unhinged, megalomaniacal lunatic, of course.)

Trevor Noah breaks it down better than anyone else I've heard with his comparison:

https://youtu.be/bd9qgyIi0z8?t=8m25s

Also, I love how Trump has already lined up a LOOOOOONG list of justifications for his eventual loss, from the media, to the moderators, to betrayal from his own party, to Paul Ryan, to "rigged" elections, making sure that his supporters believe he would have easily gotten in if it wasn't for the shenanigans and the rigged system.

At what point does the White House seriously wonder if Trump campaign and Russian officials are sharing information? Trump is getting classified information daily.

I've probably read too many LeCarre novels, but if I were in charge I'd be delighted to be feeding Trump misinformation to take back to the Russians. Knowing where a leak is can be powerful.

Watching /r/the_donald spin its wheels is pretty satisfying. They are upvote brigading ever stupid post at a rate I haven't seen in months. They also don't seem to grasp that their guy is running for President and is being held to an insanely low standard even for such a position of high office, and still failing to clear that bar.

I am bummed how little traction the Sputnik piece is getting. That is a pretty damning connection to the Kremlin. We still haven't even hit rock bottom yet. Fuck the GOP for enabling such a disgraceful candidate. I hope their entire party implodes. Would be amazing to see Trump supporters turn on establishment GOP more than HRC and Dems after the election.

Blader

That Rubio +7 today is frustrating. Partly because Murphy is seemingly so useless, but mostly because why are the people of Florida so in love with a guy who really really does not give a shit about representing them in the Senate? He hates that job! And is transparently using it as a launch pad to another presidential run.

The fact that Murphy can't effectively make this case is annoying but it's just as annoying that so many voters don't seem to care.

I'm tired of being punished just because I'm single and childless. Where is my "Choosing not to overpopulate the planet" tax credit? I'm half serious here.

It's meant to help lower and middle class families with raising children. It's phased out if you earn over $110k or so. I for one like to have children in my country, and there's little risk of overpopulation in the USA right now. In fact, we could use a few more babies to help pay our social security bills down the road.

Despite these shortcomings, the CTC is a powerful weapon against poverty. It lifted approximately 3.1 million people out of poverty, including about 1.7 million children, and lessened poverty for another 13.7 million people, including 6.8 million children in 2013. It lifts even more families with children out of poverty when combined with the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) (see figure). Many of these low-income families are ineligible for other tax-based assistance for children, like the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit, which is not refundable.

http://www.cbpp.org/research/policy-basics-the-child-tax-credit

jmdajr

So at this point Trump doesn't give a shit about the Presidency or watching the old GOP burn. That seems like a logical conclusion.

He just needs his base for his crazy news network. His brand has been hurt so much that's the only way he'll be able to make money. They'll all be pissed when Hill dawg wins and consume that info to fill their black hearts.

Ryan might as well unendorse the man. His straddling the fence is being publically treated as an unendorsement by Trump and his supporters. He can't be gaining anything from it and unendorsing will at least allow him to separate himself from Trump after the election or if any more tapes are dropped.

This may sound dumb, but being a 23 year old, I'm really not worried about Social Security in 45+ years, simply because the economic situation as we know it today is going to be so vastly different with automation and the inevitability of a basic income.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...ow-hes-devouring-them/?utm_term=.82c2aa23854f
While a generic ballot tests shows a Democrat up by 7 points over any Republican lawmaker, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee’s poll — conducted nationwide by the Global Strategy Group — shows the Democratic candidate has a 12-point edge if the Republican recently withdrew their support from Trump. If a Republican lawmaker continues to support Trump, the private polling shows they are at a similar 12-point deficit….

The survey showed than 61 percent of voters said Republicans who decided to withdraw support for Trump over the past few days “lack character and integrity” compared to 39 percent who said those Republicans “are showing character and integrity for standing up to Donald Trump.”

This is an article full of hopium.

Either way, you can't just expect people to not have a child because you're against it. And there's people in poverty that it immensely helps. Would you rather have more children in homeless shelters, etc.? I don't expect to use food stamps, but I'm glad they're there...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm tired of being punished just because I'm single and childless. Where is my "Choosing not to overpopulate the planet" tax credit? I'm half serious here.

You're not "being punished." Your expenses as a single, childless person are FAR, far less than a parent with children.

Pyrokai

This may sound dumb, but being a 23 year old, I'm really not worried about Social Security in 45+ years, simply because the economic situation as we know it today is going to be so vastly different with automation and the inevitability of a basic income.

This probably isn't a good view to have.

Interesting quote from LePage today. You don't usually see Republicans (especially elected Republicans) actually come out and say they support authoritarianism directly by name.

CufOBfeXEAAHgJt.jpg

https://twitter.com/mikeshepherdME/status/785823324773416960

The logic on display here is baffling to me. 'This last president does whatever he wants (not true), so we need our next president to be an authoritarian leaning towards dictator'? I know this is probably expect of LePage and many others, it's just still so confusing.

Plinko

Maledict

That is such gibberish it makes my head hurt.

"Obama is an authoritarian, so we need someone who is more authoritarian in order to stop being authoritarian!"

Their loathing of Obama and everything and anything to do with him is appalling.

teiresias

Either way, you can't just expect people to not have a child because you're against it. And there's people in poverty that it immensely helps. Would you rather have more children in homeless shelters, etc.? I don't expect to use food stamps, but I'm glad they're there...

Who wants people to stop having children? Just looking for a little equity in tax relief in this "must be married and must have children world."

Me: Oh you're getting married, here's a wedding gift.

Me: Oh you're pregnant, here's a baby shower gift.

Me: Oh you're child is 1, 2, 3, 4 . . . 15, 16, here's a birthday present for little junior.

Me: Oh you're getting divorced? So sorry.

Me: Oh you're getting married again, here's another wedding gift.

Them: Still no husband or child? You really should find someone, look at all this swag you get, and tax credits too!!

I'm basically Carrie in this scene of Sex and the City: https://youtu.be/GVchsrlP59I?t=233

Futureman

What kind of twisted mindset do you need to be in that you think there is currently NOT law and order and that Donald f'ing Trump is going to bring it back? Brags about sexually assaulting women and he's the light of hope for these people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom