• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggle

you guys watch the morning joe, then CNN all day, never talk about your jobs then watch the 6 o clock news?

How old are you people?!?!?!?
I find time to yell at clouds and complain about memes also

Who, gets paid to do this, actually thinks that's a winning strategy

Grief.exe

Man I fucked up and forgot to mail my voter registration today. Now I cant vote. Had my document printed out and everything. Oh well I live in Texas so it's pretty certain how its gonna go anyways. Unless Hillary does manage to pull off a 12% win like in that 538 model

Kinda ridiculous that I've been following politics so much in the past year and I'm not gonna be able to vote lol.

jOK9KaA.png

SexyFish

Banned
you guys watch the morning joe, then CNN all day, never talk about your jobs then watch the 6 o clock news?

How old are you people?!?!?!?

20. I get up early, watch morning news programs, go to class, keep CNN on for the most part as background noise through the day as I do homework.

I have no life.

Joeytj

Banned
Man I fucked up and forgot to mail my voter registration today. Now I cant vote. Had my document printed out and everything. Oh well I live in Texas so it's pretty certain how its gonna go anyways. Unless Hillary does manage to pull off a 12% win like in that 538 model

Kinda ridiculous that I've been following politics so much in the past year and I'm not gonna be able to vote lol.

Oh come on dude. You can't vote on election day? Or are you absentee voting?

Effect

Yea this is fucking stupid. I mean it COULD work. There is always a chance, but he's also going war with his own party.

No, there's no way. He's basically hoping that Bernie supporters and Indies think that attacking a woman for her husband's infidelities should cause them to stay home.

This:

This is literally the worst plan. Trump continuing to be gross and nasty might fire up his deplorables but will also drive up turnout for the Democrats while hurting him with the soft lean Rs. What an imbecile.

jiggle

Just-More-Fun-Say-Dammit-Jerry.gif

ascii42

Congratulations, you suppressed yourself.

I had a friend on Facebook just post this. Thought it was a pretty interesting take. For reference he is a republican law student.

I want to be clear, for anybody deeming last night in any way a Trump "victory" or who loved his "zinger" "...because you'd be in jail" or who is in any way, for any reason, still considering voting for this man:

The lowest part of the ugliest debate in American history was that threat to prosecute.

If a public servant commits some kind of malfeasance, we have a system for prosecuting such a crime, in a way which may not, I'll grant, be "non-partisan," or immune from some degree of corruption. HOWEVER, it is a system with myriad, multitudinous safeguards, separations of authority, independence, and judicious ascertaining of legal fact. That system, for better or worse, has functioned here, with respect to HRC. You may not like the outcome personally, you may think she gamed the system. It doesn't matter what you think, because absolutely nobody who was not part of the investigation can state with any authority that it came to the wrong conclusion. Because that conclusion is *legal* in nature: not "is HRC bad and stupid," but "Is there a legal case with which to prosecute her, which the evidence bears out any hope of success by going forward with?"

So when Trump says that he would "order the Attorney General to select a special prosecutor" and threatens in no uncertain terms that if successfully elected, he is intent on making sure this would result in HRC "being in jail," I want to dispense with the comparisons to Hitler, because that's facile, and the internet loves picking over such knee-jerk moves.

I want to talk about Sulla. I want to talk about Marius. I want to talk about Marc Antony, I want to talk about Octavian. We're talking about political tactics from the time where a real republic was upended, and finally came crashing down, because threats to political opponents *exactly* like Trump made last night were the hallmarks of the day. Hitler's system? That played out differently. "Win first under the guise of something legitimate, then kill everybody." But this threat - in open forum - was different. And harkens back to a different age altogether. Sulla, Marius, Octavian, and Antony. The men who killed the Roman Republic. You have to go back to *them* to find, in the Western tradition pertaining to democracies and republics and the men who endangered or ended them, a situation where the promise "If I win, then there will be retribution for opposing me" is enshrined in the normality of political discourse. Sulla, according to Plutarch, "made the streets flow with blood . . . many who had not any witness to say they had opposed him, only that by killing them Sulla pleased his adherents." Of Marius, any man "who did not greet him with salute or salutation was, by his men, to be murdered." Marc Antony is recorded by Cassius Dio to have promised Cicero, during the early days of the Second Triumvirate, that if he ever spoke out against him, he would "nail his head and hands to the Senate rostrum;" after Cicero delivered the Philippics against Antony's mismanagement, self-dealing, and philandering, Antony sent soldiers to his house, killed him, and did exactly that: nailed the head and hands of a political enemy to the speaking stage of the center of the Roman state, and the former shrine of its republican values.

It is an exercise in insanity to attempt to defend Donald Trump not only for his most recent incendiary remarks, but in light of this: his avowed method of conducting affairs. "If you're not with me, you're against me" is a far fall from the days of Tip O'Neill and Ronald Reagan having a scotch in the Oval Office and walking out with a compromise, but we've lost in this country the belief that politics is or ought to be about "compromise" at all. That's a place we need to get back to. But one way or another, we should all be able to agree that, in a presidential debate, when one of the candidates - standing in front of, no less, a wall plastered with the text of our Constitution itself - took us, in the political discourse of a democratic republic, to "If you're not with me, you're going to jail." That was not just a threat to prosecute, that was a threat to *proscribe.*

...*That* should be enough for anybody in the Trump camp who still values anything about what America is supposed to be to vote for somebody - anybody - else. Or stay home. And if you are so pissed off and angry at... whatever. Washington, Obama, the "East Coast/Establishment Types," the overall liberalization of social values, the inexorable tide of globalization... SO pissed off at those things that you still refuse to abandon Trump, then yes. I want this to be clear right now:
You are "deplorable."

Not because you are rhetorically lumped in with the "worst of the worst" of Trump's supporters (of which there are many)... but because you have opted to sacrifice the very notion that our country can do better than either Trump or HRC, by siding with a man who, rather than drive us to do better, is committed to tearing it all down for good.

HOLY SHIT that's hot fire!!!

This whole strategy of mucking the election up to depress Clinton supporters is the type of strategy a campaign uses once it's already lost and is throwing shit at the wall.

It will end in disaster.

I registered today in Houston. It has to be postmarked by today, right? Don't you have until midnight?

It's amusing to see how fast my sister's boyfriend turned against Trump seemingly after the tapes/debate #2). This dude is now all about anti-trump shit, starting with that De Niro video.

The registration deadline was today and I missed it

Is there a post office in your area with evening hours? In big cities these exist and you can have them put a manual postmark on the registration with today's date. Even Austin has a post office that is open until 10pm tonight, this isn't just a Dallas/Houston thing. If your registration is postmarked with today's date they will accept it when it arrives.

The Board of Elections for my county even has a secure dropbox on site and registrations can be put through the slot up until midnight and it counts.

Joeytj

Banned
Obama is giving me life. He's going long, but he's is preaching mode, going off on Alex Jones, Trump's ignorance, the need to compromise, his call to young voters to never give up on making change possible. Praising Hillary and making the case for her.

"Don't fall for the easy cynicism that says my vote doesn't count...because that's exactly what the other candidate wants you to think".

Fiuuuf. Obama, I love you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom