• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

This is what made the nomination of Trump so hilarious.

Anyone with a brain had to know the risk of their being serious career/life ruining comments from him on audio tape.

Maledict

So, legitimate panic. What can they actually do to replace him?

I don't think he would drop out, but if he wanted too, what are the options if any? Could he quit the ticket and Pence takes over?

TheFatOne

Joy Reid on Bachmann.

Wh0y1Mh.gif

So good. She just went off from the beginning and never stopped.

thefro

I don't think he would drop out, but if he wanted too, what are the options if any? Could he quit the ticket and Pence takes over?

Ballots are printed and people are voting already.

Strimei

Nothing. He's on the ballot. Its a month out, there's no changing at this point. Especially, as others pointed out, since early voting's begun.

Boke1879

They can't. He's already on the ballot. Early voting has started. They are stuck with him. It's what makes this whole thing amazing. Like no one on their side knew this shit?

They didn't "vet" the man who was going to win their nomination.

Grief.exe

After what I heard from Trump today I've officially backed out of my support from Trump and now voting for Gary Johnson on November 8th.

I can see how this flips the script for your average voter, who chooses the President based on feeling, but I don't see how people would make this decision based on facts. This is a person whose basic campaign policies are nonsensical at best.

• Illegal Immigration: How do these policies square with illegal immigration being a net negative for the past decade, or no legitimate evidence that immigrants steal American jobs in any large numbers.
  • Law and Order Candidate: Crime has been dropping for decades and is at a near historical low, other than 2014. This point is just continuing the campaign's theme towards unjustified racial fear mongering, which brings back Nixon-era policies of mass incarceration of minorities. It's a play to rally his white base, with implicit racist connotations.
  • Economics: Trump's campaign is based on manufacturing jobs continually fleeing the country and our economy in shambles. The reality is we've had 6 years of consistent job growth and record setting stock highs after, nearly, the worst recession in history in a world economy that is struggling during the same time period. Manufacturing jobs are gone due to the global economy pulling the cost down to levels the US can't possibly compete on as we moved to an service-based economy, currently trillions are fleeing China to even lower cost manufacturing.
    This will also lead us down the path of deregulation of banking and other industries, continuing the economic path that lead us to the 2008 collapse and the continued moves towards a Climate Change disaster.
  • Taxation: Trump's tax plan is an absolute disaster. It's a continuation of the Paul Ryan and lobbyist written far-right tax policies where 99% of the tax cuts flow to the top 5% and have not been proven to induce growth both theoretically and empirically. Trump wants to reduce Government income by ~6 trillion dollars, at the same time increasing the military budget by trillions, spend hundreds of billions deporting, all while 'doubling' Hillary's 250 billion dollar infrastructure plan, which is staunchly opposed by Republicans. Again, this doesn't exist with reality.
  • Terrorism: ISIS is a problem but they control a road in Syria and are constantly losing territory, more of an ideological threat than a traditional military force. How anyone can watch something like the debates or the Commander in Chief Town Hall and think this guy has any grasp on reality is beyond me.

This isn't even liberal versus conservative policies anymore, this is liberal versus a completely fabricated reality backed by policies with zero theoretical or empirical justification.

Nothing. Voting has already begun. The presidency is lost for the GOP this cycle.

If they wanted to, their only real strategy is to denounce, disavow, and distance themselves for the remaining month and hope to salvage downticket races.

Cyanity

Banned
Trump's in his bunker getting ready to crack the cyanide pill right now.
Bombs are falling all around him.
The third Reich has fallen.

Boke1879

For all their false starts Clinton's campaign is showing you literally what a machine it is.

This is how it's done. Trump's campaign by comparison are amateurs.

Bowdz

IMO, if the Clinton campaign has nuclear tier oppo (family ending oppo), they have an obligation to the country to publish it. Trump has brought out the worst elements of society and has damaged our political and media discourse to such an abominable level, that his utter destruction is necessary to move past this shit and to remind the country what happens to deplorables.

kess

Trump's obsession with beauty pageants really got creepy

To think, that's what kickstarted his presidential campaign

HylianTom

Banned
I'm about to OD on schadenfreude. Watching that female Trump spokesperson on Erin Burnett was something else. "This is horrible but benghazi...."

I've been giggly for hours. This has worked out well beyond our wildest of dreams. This was a winnable election for them, and they blew it. And it will cost them dearly.

Cerium

Apparently the Access Hollywood producers had this in their archives all along. Someone remembered it and they went looking for it and found it. They were going to run it themselves, were debating the timing, and then someone leaked it to the Post.

CCS

Banned
Please fucking go down with this ship GOP

Paul Ryan and Ted Cruz and every single disgraceful, reprehensible, deplorable member of the Republican Party, I hope you are proud of what you have done. How you have clung to a man who has vocalised all the bitter, disgusting hatred you have hidden inside yourselves but dared not show because you thought he could win. How you put your outdated party ahead of the country. How you could not bear to admit that your party had gone so far beyond what is acceptable that they no longer deserved to hold power.

This is the reckoning you deserve. Fuck your pride, fuck your arrogance, fuck your hate.

Kemal86

The party cannot do anything. Trump could choose to drop out, or swap with Pence, but it's all on Trump. The RNC is powerless.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Apparently the Access Hollywood producers had this in their archives all along. Someone remembered it and they went looking for it and found it. They were going to run it themselves, were debating the timing, and then someone leaked it to the Post.

They got scooped? The fucking morons. Whoever decided to sit on this is going to be out of a job. You don't have a story like this dead to rights, sit on it, then get scooped, and expect to have a job later. This should have been the headline story the second they found it.

It fell into the DNC's lap months ago.

teiresias

Billy Bush's statement is better than Trump's but not by much.

"It was ten years ago, I was younger, and less mature . . . "

You were a goddamn 35 year old man ten years ago you douche. Stop acting like all men are misogynist twats.

They got scooped? The fucking morons. Whoever decided to sit on this is going to be out of a job. You don't have a story like this dead to rights, sit on it, then get scooped, and expect to have a job later. This should have been the headline story the second they found it.

Yeah this. They could have rebranded themselves compeltely off the back of something like this. Epic fail.

Hopfrog

DNC on it quick. Donna just emailed:

Donald Trump's offensive, degrading comments about women don't bear repeating. I just have one question for you:

What kind of message will we be sending to our mothers, sisters, and daughters if we let this man become president?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom