• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Banned
It's weird how distorted the image of Clinton became, such that it has become impossible for her to care about people in her own right...

I was reading a column in the Times that referenced this:
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/05/23/magazine/saint-hillary.html?pagewanted=all

An article of a somewhat mocking tone about her naivety in attempt to help people.

What could have been.

I became far more empathetic to Clinton after seeing Michael Moore's TrumpLand.

To see how she literally went around the world looking at other healthcare models to try and fix America's cesspit...

Man. :(

Mike M

Nick N
Maryland's a great state, but this law is fucking stupid.

If I move to Maryland, I'm going to try to be the campaign manager for some Maryland atheist or encourage Maryland atheists to run for office just to tell people to fuck off.
Seems like it would be ruled unconstitutional the second it was challenged.

Diablos

I mean, this letter is a terrorist threat, but I want to focus on just one part of the letter.

CxuypoeVEAAhtEH.jpg

"go back to your God Forsaken land!" is being said to a Muslim woman I believe or at least someone they believe is a Muslim. They clearly think she comes from the Middle East.

... Christianity was started in the Middle East.

The American Taliban are... Desperately unintelligent.
This country is going to regress so much under Trump. Do we REALLY want to go through all of this again?

I mean, this letter is a terrorist threat, but I want to focus on just one part of the letter.

CxuypoeVEAAhtEH.jpg

"go back to your God Forsaken land!" is being said to a Muslim woman I believe or at least someone they believe is a Muslim. They clearly think she comes from the Middle East.

... Christianity was started in the Middle East.

The American Taliban are... Desperately unintelligent.
So this letter has correct spelling, correct tabbing and a nice letterhead in high resolution. I'm not saying its fake but I doubt a Trump racist fanatic has evolved enough to make something like it. At least I hope its fake.

sphagnum

Banned
So this letter has correct spelling, correct tabbing and a nice letterhead in high resolution. I'm not saying its fake but I doubt a Trump racist fanatic has evolved enough to make something like it. At least I hope its fake.

There's at least one spelling error: "take your radical attire of"

Hmm, let's take a look at that.

-"take your radical attire of" should be off.
-Forsaken is capitalized which I don't believe is correct?
-"Or, your second option," is super clunky, "Or" already implies that the upcoming sentence will be pointing out the second of the two mentioned options.

Definitely seems better than a normal Trump fuckneck but there are mistakes there.

There's at least one spelling error: "take your radical attire of"
Good catch. Deplorable confirmed.
Hmm, let's take a look at that.

-"take your radical attire of" should be off.
-Forsaken is capitalized which I don't believe is correct?
-"Or, your second option," is super clunky, "Or" already implies that the upcoming sentence will be pointing out the second of the two mentioned options.

Definitely seems better than a normal Trump fuckneck but there are mistakes there.
Its a higher lifeform than the garden variety trumpkin for sure.

Teggy

What did this say?

Something about Trump inheriting the worst economy of any president since some president decades ago.

I don't remember the exact headline, but it was utter nonsense.

Something about Trump inheriting the worst economic state in history.

It was a video of a guest saying that Trump was inheriting the worst economy since Truman when comparing debt to GDP. So it was a stupid thing to say but the only way to say the first part and be technically correct. It was not shown if the interviewer pushed back at all. Then CBS tweeted the first part of the sentence without the qualification because clicks yolo.

How so? The recovery is almost a decade old and it's one of the worst of the post-war era. Near the bottom. We don't have great data that goes from the first fiscal year or founding to present.
Bigger the hole, longer it takes to climb out. This wasn't a S&L scandal. Like 150 year old Wall Street institutions collapsed overnight.

Rumor going around that Emperor Branstad might be Trump's ambassador to China.

Could be a governorship pickup opportunity for 2018, but the Iowa DP is pretty weak so I wouldn't count on it happening regardless unless they can convince Vilsack to run again or if there's a huge Dem wave.

Grief.exe

Trump is inheriting the longest as well as one of the worst recoveries since the US started keeping formal records in terms of GDP and employment.

Seems reasonable considering it was also the worst crash in that same recorded history you refer to.

Context is important, without it we embarrass ourselves.

I just remembered how the media covered the run-up to the Iraq War by mindlessly repeating Bush propaganda and now I'm worried again.

Will the NYT be full of worthless jerk offs again or will they find their spine in the Trump years?

Veelk

Banned
Bigger the hole, longer it takes to climb out. This wasn't a S&L scandal. Like 150 year old Wall Street institutions collapsed overnight.

I also remember Van Jones commenting on the misconception this has.

He basically put it in context. Yes, it's slow, but that's because the world economy is doing poorly as a whole. I think he said that both china and the EU are behind the US in terms of their rise. So, when you take into account that the whole world is doing poorly, what we're doing isn't that bad at all.

Hot take:

I think the first few bills that is passed would define the rest of the Trump presidency when it comes to legislation. If the tax cuts happen it will effect many things that happen after like infrastructure bill, the spending bills, healthcare, medicaid, medicare ( Plus, it may effect state revenue meaning some states will be more fucked than they already are and some states need federal money, less of that means doubly fucked.) etc. The main and a lot more question if a funding bill or any bill that involves spending appears will be " Who pays for this?". If Trump can't provide solid details a large amount of his ideas will be thrown out.

Obama lost to Romney in ND by 19 points.

Hillary lost to Trump in ND by 36 points.

Heidi better hope for a strong wave in 2018 from Ryan trying (and hopefully failing) to eliminate Medicare or she might be toast.

Obama lost to Romney in ND by 19 points.

Hillary lost to Trump in ND by 36 points.

Heidi better hope for a strong wave in 2018 from Ryan trying (and hopefully failing) to eliminate Medicare or she might be toast.
I think it's possible.

And keep in mind Heitkamp was first elected at the same time Obama lost to Romney by 19 points. Granted her opponent was a complete tool.

So I propose we not talk 2020 until at least after 2018, everyone cool with that?

mo60

I think it's possible.

And keep in mind Heitkamp was first elected at the same time Obama lost to Romney by 19 points. Granted her opponent was a complete tool.

So I propose we not talk 2020 until at least after 2018, everyone cool with that?

It also helps that the democrats have held that senate seat for over 30 years. She may be able to keep the streak going for a bit longer now.

Pixieking

Banned
I think it's possible.

Can we have bans for anyone who breaks this? :p

2020 is going to be such a different scenario... Hell, 2018 is going to be vastly different to now (hopefully in how much the DNC and States have improved their base-mobilising operations). There's no point in talking about one (2020), and a lot of point talking about what we can do to support the other (2018).

Though I'll end with this 2020-based thought: Trump and the GOP are so recklessly corrupt, than if the GOP don't impeach him, I can see a Dem nominee running a national "Clean out the corruption in DC/Drain The Swamp" campaign, and it getting a lot of traction.

Why do liberal media outlets keep inviting Jonathan Haidt to write for them?

He's a fuckhead who compares black millennials who don't like John C. Calhoun to fucking Stalin.

Jonathan Haidt thinks the real discrimination in America today is that conservatives make up a lower percentage of college faculty than liberals. I wonder when Haidt will start caping for more Nazis among school faculty.

edit: 2020 discussion assumes elections aren't canceled, a fairly strong assumption!

People don't realize that we're a banana Republic now :(

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Can we have bans for anyone who breaks this? :p

2020 is going to be such a different scenario... Hell, 2018 is going to be vastly different to now (hopefully in how much the DNC and States have improved their base-mobilising operations). There's no point in talking about one (2020), and a lot of point talking about what we can do to support the other (2018).

Though I'll end with this 2020-based thought: Trump and the GOP are so recklessly corrupt, than if the GOP don't impeach him, I can see a Dem nominee running a national "Clean out the corruption in DC/Drain The Swamp" campaign, and it getting a lot of traction.

I find the endless Sanders arguments and insufferable supporters doing victory laps to be worse. Oh, and we really need to move further to the left on everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom