• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

I've been trying to make myself feel better with the fact that Hillary is the first woman to win the popular vote for President. Meanwhile, Trump is the fourth man to win via only the electoral college, so he isn't even on the podium for that one.

This sets up the strange fact that the first woman to win the Presidency and the first woman to win the popular vote will be separate people.

Wilsongt

I've been trying to make myself feel better with the fact that Hillary is the first woman to win the popular vote for President. Meanwhile, Trump is the fourth man to win via only the electoral college, so he isn't even on the podium for that one.

This sets up the strange fact that the first woman to win the Presidency and the first woman to win the popular vote will be separate people.

He is our first screaming carrot demon president with no moral compass, tho.

Oh, Obama. Obama, sweaty, no. There's a difference. Your ideologies were not dangerous to the country. Republicans were cunts to be cunts. Trump and the GOP's ideas are dangerous for a lot of people. Dems being obstructionists would be a good thing.

Not all of Trump's ideologies are dangerous. If he wants to pass infrastructure projects that aren't scams, I see no reason for democrats to vote against them. If he wants to pass a bill that addresses opiate addiction I see no reason not to vote for it. Those are two specific issues he's been vocal on and made promises about.

The time of talking about "normalization" is largely over. He's the president, he won. If he wants to be a normal president, he should be treated as such. I'm sure he'll be normal on some issues, as mentioned above. However based on his cabinet and openly breaking of protocols I don't expect him to be a normal president for four years. He's going to have problems and democrats will pounce. Perhaps Bannon and/or Sessions will be the beginning of that process. We'll see.

Democrats gain nothing by mass obstruction right now and don't have a base that demands it (yet).

Maybe the first woman president will lose the popular vote

What a twist!

For some reason I feel like the first woman president will also be a Republican. Just a hunch I have.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Not all of Trump's ideologies are dangerous. If he wants to pass infrastructure projects that aren't scams, I see no reason for democrats to vote against them. If he wants to pass a bill that addresses opiate addiction I see no reason not to vote for it. Those are two specific issues he's been vocal on and made promises about.

The time of talking about "normalization" is largely over. He's the president, he won. If he wants to be a normal president, he should be treated as such. I'm sure he'll be normal on some issues, as mentioned above. However based on his cabinet and openly breaking of protocols I don't expect him to be a normal president for four years. He's going to have problems and democrats will pounce. Perhaps Bannon and/or Sessions will be the beginning of that process. We'll see.

Democrats gain nothing by mass obstruction right now and don't have a base that demands it (yet).

Right. Infrastructure is the last thing I want to seem democrats obstruct.

Medicare, student loans, ACA. Obstruct away. Not everything, though.

Grief.exe

Wake me up when they find this guy.

Wilsongt

If he can get infrastructure passed. Congress and Obama have been trying for ages and can't get shit done on that front.

Also, it's hard to combat opiod addiction when you murder people's ability to get healthcare or social service support through SSA/Medicaid/Medicare.

I just posted how the infrastructure bill is actually bad and you guys still want it to pass?

The Democrats aren't going to be able to block a bill tagged as an infrastructure bill. It doesn't matter if it's a garbage bill, the Democrats can't afford to be labeled as being against infrastructure spending, despite being for it since the 1930s.

Totakeke

The Democrats aren't going to be able to block a bill tagged as an infrastructure bill. It doesn't matter if it's a garbage bill, the Democrats can't afford to be labeled as being against infrastructure spending, despite being for it since the 1930s.

Hmm, I wonder what else can Republicans can rename to ensure democrats bend over to get it passed.

Hmm, I wonder what else can Republicans can rename to ensure democrats bend over to get it passed.

It's not just renaming it. People are dumb. They hear "infrastructure bill" and they don't care what's in it. They hear the Democrats opposed it and obstructed it and they wonder why, but don't care to learn why and the Democrats are now the bad guys.

Totakeke

It's not just renaming it. People are dumb. They hear "infrastructure bill" and they don't care what's in it. They hear the Democrats opposed it and obstructed it and they wonder why, but don't care to learn why and the Democrats are now the bad guys.

I want to engrave "optics killed me" on my tombstone.

VRMN

This didn't work against the Republicans, who were against infrastructure spending for eight years.

Gotchaye

I don't really buy this. As long as you're out there yelling about how it's really just a giveaway to Trump's friends in construction. I mean, sure, if the infrastructure projects turn out to be wildly successful you'll get (rightly) ripped for opposing them, but if Obamacare's taught us anything it's that you can get a lot of mileage out of "we would have done it better".

Wilsongt

I don't really buy this. As long as you're out there yelling about how it's really just a giveaway to Trump's friends in construction. I mean, sure, if the infrastructure projects turn out to be wildly successful you'll get (rightly) ripped for opposing them, but if Obamacare's taught us anything it's that you can get a lot of mileage out of "we would have done it better".

But will it create jerbs for Americans? Or illegals?

🤔🤔🤔

Totakeke

Dialing back from the part where I die, if you cannot convince the nation that the infrastructure plan from the most corrupt US president ever, which also had a history of profiteering and not paying his contractors on his own construction projects, has a infrastructure plan that is a privatization scam, I don't know what else am I to expect from this country.

Foffy

Banned
I've been on a binge watch of Mark Blyth's comments about the global climate.

Figure I'd share one of his best here. It explains Brexit, Trumpism, and how we're likely not out of the woods of social upheaval.

Damn. Hopefully that doesn't manage to pass. If anyone here's her constituent, here's her contact information from the comments of that article for waht it's worth:
Contact

Sen. Konni Burton

State Office:
(512) 463-0110

District Office:
817-882-8157

Or if you live in Texas, be sure to contact whoever your state rep is and tell them you oppose it, for what it's worth.

And the source for that article also links to this, which also sounds just wonderful:
Lawmakers Are Trying To Bring HB2 To Texas: Senate Bill 92 will pass through state legislature this January.

Again, not sure how much it's worth, but if anyone lives in Texas, please call your state rep/senator and tell them to oppose this garbage. Thank you.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
In the spirit of infrastructure bills that are actually corporate giveaways, Dems should propose a DEPORT IMMIGRANTS NOW act that is actually a nationwide student loan forgiveness plan

that'll show 'em

effzee

Is this real? This "neighborhood watch" needs to be reported to the policy immediately. And I'd seek legal advice immediately if I received that letter.

Any update on this? Fake or real?

I see it circulated on FB a lot but some people are calling it fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom