• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid Heart

I didn't realize Progressive Icon Tulsi Gabbard didn't sign the letter opposing Bannon. And Bannon is apparently a fan of hers. And she's meeting with DJT today!

http://mauitime.com/news/politics/w...in-denouncing-trump-appointee-stephen-bannon/

More at the link, on my phone so I can't copy. And yes, stuff like this is why many of us have dislike Gabbard for a while, with reasons that have nothing to do with her primary support of Bernie.

The amount of people I've seen talking about how great it will be for Tulsi to be in his cabinet after lambasting Clinton for being a war hawk is truly outstanding. Heck I've seen some people spin some of this stuff as her being willing to work across the aisle!

I just really don't understand some of the Democratic voting base...

So apparently Trump during a congratulatory call from the Argentinian president asked him to smooth over permitting issues he was having with a building being constructed there. Incredible really.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/cashing-in-bigly-in-argentina

I expect this level of corruption to be so prevalent during his admin that the media will get bored talking about it and eventually drop it to be honest. :/

The amount of people I've seen talking about how great it will be for Tulsi to be in his cabinet after lambasting Clinton for being a war hawk is truly outstanding. Heck I've seen some people spin some of this stuff of her being willing to work across the aisle!

There's nothing to understand. They're huge hypocrites who just latch onto whoever is hip and popular and against "the man", it doesn't really matter how awful their past record is or how many issues they have.

Wag

So apparently Trump during a congratulatory call from the Argentinian president asked him to smooth over permitting issues he was having with a building being constructed there. Incredible really.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/cashing-in-bigly-in-argentina

It's a liberal conspiracy! Nobody cares about this shit!

The sad thing is this will be par for the course since there is no official rule exempting the President from these practices. Trump's only in it for Trump.

Wilsongt

At the tail-end of her interview on Fox & Friends Monday morning, host Brian Kilmeade asked Conway whether she agreed that the Trumps “have to work out where the business starts and the presidency starts.” Trump’s web of business investments, hotel properties and dealings with foreign investors “will create conflicts of interest of unprecedented magnitude,” according to an open letter from a group of open-government watchdogs.

Conway waived off the concerns on Monday.
“Oh well sure. But they are doing that…they have experts behind the scenes doing that, the adult children who already help him run that business and who obviously will be the stewards in their father’s absence are on top of that” Conway said.

“It’s a unique situation to have such a successful a businessman that has so many holdings ascend to the oval office. But I also want people to see what a sacrifice it is. He has invested tens of millions of dollars and other deals have had to wait, because he’s doing this. But his adult children are right there, they’re already his colleagues, he’s already been their mentor and they’re already chief executives there.”

Won't someone think of Trump's sacrifices?!

His kids running the company isn't really much better, considering he's looking for ways to give them positions in his office.

What's even the point if Ivanka runs his companies while her husband is one of his top aides? Might as well just let Donald run them himself at that point, since it's the same conflict of interest.

Wilsongt

His kids running the company isn't really much better, considering he's looking for ways to give them positions in his office.

What's even the point if Ivanka runs his companies while her husband is one of his top aides? Might as well just let Donald run them himself at that point, since it's the same conflict of interest.

It's only a conflict of interest if Dumbocrats do it.

Kid Heart

Lololololol

Like emails?

Touche.

Won't someone think of Trump's sacrifices?!

Fun fact. In accounting you're not even allowed to audit a company's book if you have family that works for the company your auditing because of the potential conflict of interest. But sure, I totally trust Trump to be able to separate politics from business while in office. His kids totally wont talk potential business with him while on duty. None at all of course!

This will really suck for the DC area. Just when I was thing about getting a government job... https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...government-workers-benefits-and-job-security/

So the only jobs in the country that even come close to what these factory workers used to have are going to be ruined.

Gingrich, who urged Trump to shrink big government and overhaul the “job-for-life” guarantee of federal work.
PEOPLE WANTING A JOB FOR LIFE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO VOTED FOR YOU

I still can't believe the Russians have gotten away with hacking the DNC. Nobody cares.

And all this new corruption stuff is the same way too, media is all chasing their shiny new ball but it's not shiny or new. We knew about this the whole time, they just were so focused on Hillary emails/scandals that they didn't bother giving it attention. Nobody cared then and nobody will care now; Trump is corrupt/horrible, what else is new?

Government jobs are literally the only jobs in the entire country to be like the old factory jobs

- A potential union
- A set raise schedule
- Low skill needed in most jobs
- Set benefits, set days off, set healthcare
- A pension
- The same stability and structure found in old manufacturing jobs

It's literally the closest anyone is ever going to get to a 1960s factory job!

studyguy

Government jobs are literally the only jobs in the entire country to be like the old factory jobs

- A union
- A set raise schedule

Tried getting government jobs a ton here in my county. It's fucking impossible.

Jeels

I didn't realize Progressive Icon Tulsi Gabbard didn't sign the letter opposing Bannon. And Bannon is apparently a fan of hers. And she's meeting with DJT today!

http://mauitime.com/news/politics/w...in-denouncing-trump-appointee-stephen-bannon/

More at the link, on my phone so I can't copy. And yes, stuff like this is why many of us have dislike Gabbard for a while, with reasons that have nothing to do with her primary support of Bernie.

Lol, I remember a few pages back people were trying to stan her as the 2020 democratic nominee. Liberal icon my ass.

studyguy

Gabbard as a liberal icon of anything is rich when she's been a conservative dem since forever. Genuinely baffles me when Sanders crews were all about her.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Let the new right have Tulsi. I am definitely for less purity tests on the left, but "not a racist" is one that we still need in 2016, for better or worse.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Tried getting government jobs a ton here in my county. It's fucking impossible.

That's not the point. The point is that the stability of government jobs is what people want from private jobs. Which can be mostly achieved with stronger regulation, not weaker as Republicans champion. Without laws requiring proper hours/benefits/wages, no amount of deregulation and competition will force companies to offer it.

I run into contractors almost daily who ask me if we have open positions in government. They make more than twice as much as we do, yet they crave stability. They want to know they can have healthcare and retirement and save for their kids' college and not be subject to being fired at the end of this project or the next. It's tough.

studyguy

That's not the point. The point is that the stability of government jobs is what people want from private jobs. Which can be mostly achieved with stronger regulation, not weaker as Republicans champion. Without laws requiring proper hours/benefits/wages, no amount of deregulation and competition will force companies to offer it.

I run into contractors almost daily who ask me if we have open positions in government. They make more than twice as much as we do, yet they crave stability. They want to know they can have healthcare and retirement and save for their kids' college and not be subject to being fired at the end of this project or the next. It's tough.

That wasn't my point either, it was just a small aside that I signed up for a couple government jobs and it was neigh impossible to get into considering the sheer number of people applying. It's was pretty staggering.

I don't disagree with any of what you just pointed out, I make a decent wage now, but all the same like you said I'd happily jump ship to work in government to get that kind of security.

I wouldn't want to work in the government due to not being as flexible with hours and time off as I'd like.

Where I work is no questions asked vacation time off policy, along with a very generous work from home policy.

I'm not sure I'd get either in the government, despite the stability. But my job is fairly stable anyway, so I'm not concerned.

BSsBrolly

Banned
I wouldn't want to work in the government due to not being as flexible with hours and time off as I'd like.

Where I work is no questions asked vacation time off policy, along with a very generous work from home policy.

I'm not sure I'd get either in the government, despite the stability. But my job is fairly stable anyway, so I'm not concerned.

Work as a civilian for the military. They have to most flexibility I've ever seen...

I guess with this Argentina story we can expect a dumbass tweet to distract the sheep?

Argentina president denying it:

Will CarlessVerified account
‏@willcarless
BREAKING: Spox for Argentina President Mauricio Macri says claims that Trump talked to Macri about Trump Tower in BsAs “Absolutely untrue"

Wilsongt

- A potential union
- A set raise schedule
- A pension

Yeah but fuck the government, right?

Yeah but fuck the government, right?

Pretty much

Our government agencies are seriously understaffed. We should be hiring more. Building more government locations like DMVs. Make them larger, more efficient, faster and able to handle a growing population. Instead of shrinking them, cutting jobs and overworking the people we do have. It creates a loop where the work is shoddy and inefficient, making people think the government is shoddy and inefficient, and more cuts just keep the problem going.

There's a void there of potentially very good jobs for these WWC people. Jobs that would be familiar to them in structure, pay, and benefits. They'd be stamping paperwork at the DMV instead of screwing on a nut for Ford, but it would be roughly the same amount of labor for roughly the same pay and benefits.

...and yet they reject them because government is the problem, not the solution. Even if every other problem this country has ever had was solved via the government.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This will really suck for the DC area. Just when I was thing about getting a government job... https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...government-workers-benefits-and-job-security/
Gingrich said the Trump administration probably would look for guidance from Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R), who stripped public employee unions of most of their collective-bargaining rights and forced workers to pay more into their pensions and for health care in what became a bitter political fight.

Seems about right.

teiresias

While I do think the firing situation is kind of ridiculous in the civil service (there are definitely some that hang on by virtue of being civil servants where i am), I'll never understand the retirement benefits thing.

Even in this article they talk about "moving" to a 401k-type plan, but that's what the current FERS system is already and under which all new employees enter. They have no idea what the current retirement system is to begin with apparently.

AndyD

aka andydumi

We are very flexible here. Hours are flexible (anywhere 6-6), 2-3 a week days from home if it fits your job role, and as to vacation, you need a few days notice if it's extended, otherwise just get your work done. It's better than any private sector job I've ever had.

Things like this are going to slow down the economy. Many of the jobs lost during the Great Recession were government jobs, due to idiotic Republican leaders using the economic downturn as an excuse to take the hatchet to state government employees. The reluctance of conservative governments to create new government jobs once the recovery started also contributed to the languid growth.

This is only going to make things worse.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The stuff going on with the NC governor's race right now is unconscionable.

The amount of people I've seen talking about how great it will be for Tulsi to be in his cabinet after lambasting Clinton for being a war hawk is truly outstanding. Heck I've seen some people spin some of this stuff as her being willing to work across the aisle!

I expect this level of corruption to be so prevalent during his admin that the media will get bored talking about it and eventually drop it to be honest. :/

The prevailing theme this past election season is star power and optics trumps policy.

no, I'm not sorry for the pun

Pixieking

Banned
22 counties that help tell the story of how Hillary Clinton lost (By Chris Cillizza)

A short piece, with a useful graph (which I shouldn't c&p because it'd be a bit too much)

There are lots of ways to slice and dice how and why Hillary Clinton lost on Nov. 8 what looked — by virtually every measure — like a race she could not lose. But, to me, the most compelling reason is this: She simply didn't excite or turn out the Democratic base enough.

Fucking unicorns.

kevin1025

Banned
Why are the networks meeting Trump OFF THE RECORD at Trump Tower?

To bow to the new overlord.

But for real? Probably because he has not been doing press conferences and following the normal press pool and transparency deals that he should have been doing since he won. They went to convince him, I suspect.

Gabbard as a liberal icon of anything is rich when she's been a conservative dem since forever. Genuinely baffles me when Sanders crews were all about her.

Were? We have seen posts with people wanting her to run in 2020 or as a viable VP candidate since Trump has won

Gutek

The most frustrating thing about all of this is how much Trump is getting away with already. It's eerily similar to how the Banks got off the hooks after 2008.

Nobody is going to be held accountable. Racism, corruption, and authoritarianism in the government will be completely normalized in a couple months.

America is on a very, very dark path. This shit is serious.

blackw0lf

22 counties that help tell the story of how Hillary Clinton lost (By Chris Cillizza)

A short piece, with a useful graph (which I shouldn't c&p because it'd be a bit too much)

Fucking unicorns.

If you took Hillary's platform and the ideas she advocated, gave it to a young charismatic candidate, and didn't tell anyone it was from Hillary, I bet these same people would likely champion it as a great progressive platform and how Dems have learned the lessons from Hillary's "neoliberalism"

Pixieking

Banned
The most frustrating thing about all of this is how much Trump is getting away with already. It's eerily similar to how the Banks got off the hooks after 2008.

Nobody is going to be held accountable. Racism, corruption, and authoritarianism in the government will be completely normalized in a couple months.

America is on a very, very dark path. This shit is serious.

I'd argue it's another illustration of the sexist double-standards of the campaign - literally everything that Hillary's been accused of, Trump and his cronies have now done. So, it seems to be bad/evil/wrong if a woman does it, but fine when men do it.

Sickening.

If you took Hillary's platform and the ideas she advocated, gave it to a young charismatic candidate, and didn't tell anyone it was from Hillary, I bet these same people would likely champion it as a great progressive platform and how Dems have learned the lessons from Hillary's "neoliberalism"

Yup, absolutely no doubt about that, and that's also sickening.

So fricking angry about all this.

What drives me insane is how we're forced to see Kaleigh's (etc) snarling face up there as some kind of fucking pundit with legitimacy for the next several years. I watched her segment with Reza Aslan and the way she both twisted his words (stop attacking me!) and completely dismissed what he had to say was absolutely infuriating. These people contribute fuck-all to the discourse besides defensive horse-shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom