• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

chefbags

don't worry peeps CNN is here is to help you with your grief

WCTJXr.png

CNN can go fuck itself forever.

Pyrokai

Look at actuarial tables and doing some quick math estimates, I make it about a 70% chance none of the liberal judges die in the next 4 years. That drops to 40% if you extend to 8 years. So yeah, you need a bit of luck, but let's keep our hopes up: all of the liberal judges are in reasonable shape.

I think this does stress how momentous the 2020 election is, though. If the Democrats can retake the presidency and at least some of the state legislatures, then they can recapture the supreme court AND control the redistricting process for the House. If Trump wins in 2020, then the Supreme Court is likely going to be conservative for decades after and the House irreparably gerrymandered.

Yeah.....truly. Hopefully, even if Trump ends up appointing two, it won't be as much of a drawback as four.

All this just infuriates me more that Garland wasn't appointed, and makes it sting all the more.

Ginsberg is a 2x cancer survivor. Im not sure what the textbook definition of good health is... But it's probably not that.

Oh boy....I didn't know that. I know she watches her health like a hawk, but I'm hoping she continues to be healthy.

Hindl

Both Schumer and Warren support Ellison for DNC chair

Well put him in then, but he needs to commit full time

I like this man

hNa0Kc.png

Ugh I hate that I have to ask this, but what do the Bernie people think of Reid? The Democrats will have to give concessions to them given the responses I've seen from them to Dean becoming Chair. Reid needs to be involved in the DNC, but if Bernie supporters hate him that's going to be a disaster.

Ugh I hate that I have to ask this, but what do the Bernie people think of Reid? The Democrats will have to give concessions to them given the responses I've seen from them to Dean becoming Chair. Reid needs to be involved in the DNC, but if Bernie supporters hate him that's going to be a disaster.

Probably that he has "Clinton stink" on him and he should fuck off.

Dubya was never a horrible man on the balance. If anything, after he was out of office I thought there was every indication he was a far more balanced and decent person that most of the lunatics the GOP has twisted itself towards hosting.

It's just that Dubya was the front man for Cheney and the rest of the operation, which was pretty much a preview of the evil we're seeing come together now. I actually feel sorry for the man. He would probably get along better with Obama than any of his republican peers from the last 15 years.
I've always believed this. I think he tried to do everything he possibly could to help America. And he might have failed with things like No Child Left Behind. But they were an attempt. He knew what was wrong and had a plan that seemed right and stuck to it.

He didn't seem to ever buy into the racist portion of his party, either. He got a ton of Hispanic support and was willing to work with them to help them. I don't really believe Bush was racist. He made strong efforts to help the AIDs epidemic in Africa, and that's probably the best thing he did in his entire presidency and something I think even liberals can respect him for. And yes, you can point to Katrina and how that was likely racial based, but I'm just not sure that he meant it to be racist, I guess is what I'm getting at.

I think he was a simple, naive man who had big goals for the country, but was led on by wicked, disgusting, hate filled people. But he was awful at the job. In some ways, like I mentioned a few pages back, he's the GOP's Jimmy Carter, who managed to secure a second term. A nice guy who just got caught up in a job he wasn't necessarily fit for. And maybe if Carter won a second term, his time would have been an unquestioned disaster in the same way 2004-2008 was. We'll never really know.

ESTABLISHMENENNENTTTTT NEOLIBRAULLL probably

They don't particularly like successful Democrats if they've done anything at all that isn't just making stump speeches.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL at all these people supporting Trump and talking about how he's against Wall Street and big business. Oh man.

Trump's appointments and cabinet are seriously going to bite him later. Within the first month of his presidency, he will have pretty much given all the ammo his opponents will ever need to chip away at his core base.

Well we're doomed then. Goddamnit if they hold this fucking party hostage I will never forgive them.

There aren't enough of them. They're just really good at whining and making the whole process annoying for everyone who actually wants to progress the country. Making simple stuff like delegate votes and random afternoon DNC speeches into spectacles and annoying fights with arrogant idiots.

I will never refer to them as anything other than "progressives" in quotes because they aren't and don't want actual progress in the country. They don't know how to win elections or do anything progressive, so they aren't progressive.

bachikarn

We cannot completely remake the Democratic Party. It's not like we lost by that much. I also wonder if the amount of uh 'passionate' Bernie supporters is overstated on the internet. I've got friends who were Bernie fans who would like Dean too.

Totakeke

Trump's appointments and cabinet are seriously going to bite him later. Within the first month of his presidency, he will have pretty much given all the ammo his opponents will ever need to chip away at his core base.

I have to wonder in 2020, would it still be cool to be anti-establishment? How does that work? Maybe they'll have to elect someone to promises to burn the world down.

I have to wonder in 2020, would it still be cool to be anti-establishment? How does that work? Maybe they'll have to elect someone to promises to burn the world down.

In 2020, we need to paint Trump as someone who scammed the working class voter into giving his wall street buddies free money. And he's going to make that easy. Hit him in his strengths and wear down his base.

This will require us to not nominate someone with ties to Wall Street in any way. At all. None. Not even a hint.

sphagnum

Banned
In 2020, we need to paint Trump as someone who scammed the working class voter into giving his wall street buddies free money. And he's going to make that easy. Hit him in his strengths and wear down his base.

This will require us to not nominate someone with ties to Wall Street in any way. At all. None. Not even a hint.

No Booker.

Holmes

So Dean Vs. Ellison for DNC chair? Ehhhhhh I like Ellison but I think Dean is what we need.
I agree. Dean had great ideas as chair and was effective, but I think we need new blood. I wouldn't mind Ellison as chairman and Dean as vice-chair with them working together.

What needs to happen is for Trump to have such a devastating effect on the economy, unemployment, kick 20 million of the ACA and replace it with something so much worse. Deport Families, reduce regulations, in general make an ass out of himself on the World Stage.

Then, then maybe just maybe Democrats will finally get their shit together.

Holmes

Sherrod Brown.

Crocodile

LOL at all these people supporting Trump and talking about how he's against Wall Street and big business. Oh man.

Moore mentioning the liberal bubble. Good for him.

To be clear, conservatives live in bubbles too. We all do and its getting worse. I'm quite sure many of the most rural of communities have no PoC living there which is an issue since it means its harder for the white population there to build empathy.

He was pretty much specifically who I was talking about haha
Oh I was gonna say any ties to Bain capital too

Booker looks good only in the most superficial way possible. I really liked his DNC speech but yeah once you look at him you see the cracks pretty quickly.

I'm pretty on board with Sherrod Brown but I don't think we have a clear idea of anything until 2019. We need to focus on downballot above all else for the next two years. DNC chair is the position to look at right now and Ellison seems to be a pretty easy choice.

KyroLen

Neo Member
Man, I'm seeing a lot of posts and sentiment that we need to abandon core values for the party and/or run someone like Trump who is a celebrity and can get voters out.

I think this is the opposite of what we need to do, this is starting to sound like some Trump type stuff, we shouldn't just run someone that has no experience just so he can trick voters into coming to the polls based on star power just to win an election.

And we should not abandon our values as a people just to win an election.

PBY

Banned
What needs to happen is for Trump to have such a devastating effect on the economy, unemployment, kick 20 million of the ACA and replace it with something so much worse. Deport Families, reduce regulations, in general make an ass out of himself on the World Stage.

I mean

Ideally he's just an awesome president

But

Hindl

Oh I was gonna say any ties to Bain capital too

Booker looks good only in the most superficial way possible. I really liked his DNC speech but yeah once you look at him you see the cracks pretty quickly.

I'm pretty on board with Sherrod Brown but I don't think we have a clear idea of anything until 2019. We need to focus on downballot above all else for the next two years. DNC chair is the position to look at right now and Ellison seems to be a pretty easy choice.

Yeah I dunno about Sherrod Brown, he's great but we can't focus on the presidency right now. We have to focus on 2018 and downballot races first. And I'd be wary of trying to find a candidate at this point. We want to avoid the look of anointing someone again with the candidacy. I say first focus on rebuilding the DNC from the ground up, and once we get passed the midterms, win or lose, let the 2020 candidate rise up naturally.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I dunno about Sherrod Brown, he's great but we can't focus on the presidency right now. We have to focus on 2018 and downballot races first. And I'd be wary of trying to find a candidate at this point. We want to avoid the look of anointing someone again with the candidacy. I say first focus on rebuilding the DNC from the ground up, and once we get passed the midterms, win or lose, let the 2020 candidate rise up naturally.

Agreed. I've not suggested anyone for pretty much this reason. We'll (hopefully) know them when we see them; deciding this early is not a winning strategy, I think.

Crocodile

Considering a campaign of White Nationalism just won the presidency, if I see any conservative bitch about "liberals and their identity politics" I'm going to start punching fools.

Man, I'm seeing a lot of posts and sentiment that we need to abandon core values for the party and/or run someone like Trump who is a celebrity and can get voters out.

I think this is the opposite of what we need to do, this is starting to sound like some Trump type stuff, we shouldn't just run someone that has no experience just so he can trick voters into coming to the polls based on star power just to win an election.

We had one loss where it looks like we still got the PV and people want to burn shit into the ground. It's crazy.

sphagnum

Banned
If they really go through with a new HUAC, I say we turn the tables if we get the Congress back and investigate every single member of the GOP for ties to hate groups, white nationalists, fascists, Russia, etc.

They can't be tolerated anymore.

Have a big old establishment type who isn't popular, but the DNC makes it "clear" they want him.

Have a young hip new guy come in and want to take the big mean DNC favorite down. And have him start doing well and "beat" the DNC stooge.

100% of this will be staged by the DNC. Basically fabricate an Obama success story. But do it good enough to not make it obvious.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Have a big old establishment type who isn't popular, but the DNC makes it "clear" they want him.

Have a young hip new guy come in and want to take the big mean DNC favorite down. And have him start doing well and "beat" the DNC stooge.

100% of this will be staged by the DNC. Basically fabricate an Obama success story. But do it good enough to not make it obvious.

...so, rather than actually clear up the party, just fake clearing it up? But why? Why not just clear it up?

...so, rather than actually clear up the party, just fake clearing it up? But why? Why not just clear it up?

It would be cleaned up. The DNC would want the right guy for the job. But we need drama and a story. People love underdogs who stick it to the "man." Part of politics is the theater around it.

Obama beat the Clinton machine and went against what the DNC wanted. He had a success story of beating the establishment. People like stories and drama and ups and downs. It gets them excited to vote.

We need another story like that.

Holmes

I was gonna say. Our 2020 candidate can work on a message of change and hope without it being fabricated. I hope they do!

tuffy

Not abandoning the core values of the platform is one thing, but I think it's pretty clear that a lot of experience as a politician doesn't bring people to the polls. Instead, a lot of years in Washington tends to result in a lot of controversies that can be dug up later. Obama didn't have decades of experience in office, but he's a great speaker and a smart guy and that was enough. Find someone who's a good salesman for the platform and enough brains to know what to do in office, and the rest will take care of itself.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton

Please remember that in this scenario, millions of people are hurt. It's easy to type that in anger after a rough election, and I'm as anti-Trump as they come, but c'mon, man. If that happens, so be it. But don't hope for despair.

We shouldn't wish for the economy to collapse and people to suffer just so we get back in power.

I was gonna say. Our 2020 candidate can work on a message of change and hope without it being fabricated. I hope they do!

He or she can. But to create an underdog story of fighting against the big mean establishment would help a lot. This is the story Bernie had and this is the story Obama had.

Cable news is poison, people.
I dropped TV. Nothing but trash and social media appealing garbage that's only good for live sports.

There aren't enough of them. They're just really good at whining and making the whole process annoying for everyone who actually wants to progress the country. Making simple stuff like delegate votes and random afternoon DNC speeches into spectacles and annoying fights with arrogant idiots.

I will never refer to them as anything other than "progressives" in quotes because they aren't and don't want actual progress in the country. They don't know how to win elections or do anything progressive, so they aren't progressive.
Yeah, let's make more enemies and hold more grudges, That will unify us. Please, reflect on that. Politics is about reaching compromise with a diverse set of people that not wholly agree.
Probably that he has "Clinton stink" on him and he should fuck off.
I don't think so. He needs to be presented as a ruthless politician that knows how to win elections. Stop painting people that may disagree with you as irrational, that doesn't help at all.

They don't particularly like successful Democrats if they've done anything at all that isn't just making stump speeches.
Yeah, let's poison the dialog with statements like this.

sazzy

Moore mentioning the liberal bubble. Good for him.

I hope you watched the rest of the video, because it will make you feel better.

This was probably the best segment I've seen on any show, for quite some time.

Barzul

Please remember that in this scenario, millions of people are hurt. It's easy to type that in anger after a rough election, and I'm as anti-Trump as they come, but c'mon, man. If that happens, so be it. But don't hope for despair.

But we need to plan for the very real possibility that it happens. In hindsight, Reid weakening the filibuster was arrogant. GOP is going to decimate it and we're going to get something worse than Scalia.

Not all of us are that bad :(

I was a staunch Bernie supporter in the primaries, but I was ok with Hillary getting the nomination too.
I like Reid as well. He strikes me somewhat similar to Bernie in a way.

I dunno. Maybe I'm one of those weird left-wing democrats. I never liked the whole "establishment is bad" mantra. I want people in the government who know what they are doing, but I want people who truly want to help the country. Like Obama.

So people asking for Ellison to be head of DNC instead of Dean

Is there a reason for that? Or is it just a symbolic gesture? Ive never heard of Ellison.

Yeah, let's poison the dialog with statements like this.

I had a Buster tell me yesterday that Howard Dean was a failure establishment shill. Howard Dean, the most successful leader of the DNC, ever, and who was the Bernie Sanders of his own primary.

And then you have Sanders himself, who is making a blatant power grab to hijack the Democrats for his own purposes.

So I don't trust "progressives" to do anything right. They don't win elections. They don't know how. I'm not going to coddle them why they try and turn the Democrats into the Labour partyso we can lose elections for 20 years. But progress is great guys, meanwhile we're losing elections because Bernie Sanders types will never win an election in Arkansas.

So people asking for Ellison to be head of DNC instead of Dean

Is there a reason for that? Or is it just a symbolic gesture? Ive never heard of Ellison.

Wanting to get new blood in there.

I can get on board with that. There's nothing really wrong with Ellison, other than he'd do the job party time. And we'll never know if there's someone even better than Dean out there if we don't give them a chance. As long as they aren't terrible, unorganized Democrats like Debbie who have no business leading the DNC and just used it to funnel resources to her own campaigns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom