• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debirudog

Yeah, Pence is an upgrade. Not that it takes much.

I don't really think so. Pence would be sure to try to hammer in a repeal of gay marriage and state some crazy gay therapy around the states. I would fucking be moving back to Australia if it ever happens.

dramatis

Yup. I wrote a post yesterday saying that we need to instill in people the belief that just because I don't care about my vote, it doesn't mean that other people don't. I wouldn't have thought you'd need to hammer empathy into such a large amount of people, but here we are.
I think the opposite has to happen for the crazy liberals. That what we have to hammer in them is that the "I" has to be lesser than the "community" or "country" when it comes to their vote.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really think so. Pence would be sure to try to hammer in a repeal of gay marriage and state some crazy gay therapy around the states. I would fucking be moving to Australia if it ever happens.

What, the country that doesn't have gay marriage at all?

Come on, PoliGAF. This "I will move to X" when "X" is barely better and in some cases worse than America is embarrassing.

Debirudog

What, the country that doesn't have gay marriage at all?

Come on, PoliGAF. This "I will move to X" when "X" is barely better and in some cases worse than America is embarrassing.

I used to live in Australia until I was 11 so forgive me if I assumed they were better in this regard. -_-

I'm screwed either way.

I also wish you didn't treat poligaf as a monolith. This is my own ignorance of Australia's lagging civil rights.

Pixieking

Banned
I do wonder how many faithless electors there will be this year. I'm betting on a record high.

I hope so... the more the EC shows how without value it is, the better.

Meanwhile...

Thoughts for the Horrified

Closing paragraph:
But I’m not ready to accept that this is inevitable — because accepting it as inevitable would become a self-fulfilling prophecy. The road back to what America should be is going to be longer and harder than any of us expected, and we might not make it. But we have to try.

I think the opposite has to happen for the crazy liberals. That what we have to hammer in them is that the "I" has to be lesser than the "community" or "country" when it comes to their vote.

*nods* Yeah. I think maybe a variation of the Republican's "Party above country" stance would be good, since what's good for the party is inherently good for the country.

I don't really think so. Pence would be sure to try to hammer in a repeal of gay marriage and state some crazy gay therapy around the states. I would fucking be moving back to Australia if it ever happens.

Can he even do that without getting a case to be brought in front of the supreme court, though?

How safe is Ellison's seat if he decides to leave office and become DNC chair? I'm guessing very safe due to large somali community he represents. But it would be good to know for a fact that D's wont lose a seat in house.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Pence would lose easily in 2020, so I'll take his short-lived presidency any day over Trump.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I also wish you didn't treat poligaf as a monolith. This is my own ignorance of Australia's lagging civil rights.

You're right, I'm generalizing a bit, but yours isn't the first "I'll move to Australia!" post I've seen, and as an Australian, it annoys me. Everything is fucked there too! :p

Diablos

And Trump won't? Pence won't have temper tantrums every day and hold a grudge every 5 minutes.

I hope so... the more the EC shows how without value it is, the better.

Meanwhile...

Thoughts for the Horrified

Closing paragraph:
Fuck the EC. Dems proved this year especially that it's outdated. She should be President as she has a lead that's not huge but crystal clear. That's the silver lining. She ran such a bad campaign and isn't likable and blah blah but SHE WON THE POPULAR VOTE.

dramatis

How safe is Ellison's seat if he decides to leave office and become DNC chair? I'm guessing very safe due to large somali community he represents. But it would be good to know for a fact that D's wont lose a seat in house.
He doesn't have to full time, he can part time the chair.

The question is whether the DNC chair requires a full timer right now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Majority congress isn't going to impeach him. Hell no, this is their dream to get everything they want through.

The point if they push Trump around and gets criticized by everyone all the time he'll go nuts and the Republicans would be glad to imprach him. Either he gives them what they ask for or he gets impeached.

Would be the absolute last seat in MN to flip. Ellison usually racks up 60-70% of the vote without breaking a sweat.

Edit: Ellison got 69% this year while Clinton only carried the state by a point. The legal marijuana party guy got 8%.

The GOP's problem is that Trump holds all the power. He can wheel and deal with the Dems if he wants and his base won't care. Of course the issue lies in people's tolerance for awfulness by a candidate for president versus the actual president. Something I think a lot of people will make a difference with.

I'm probably going to write out a decently long post on what I think this means for the GOP later, if only to put my own thoughts into words.

How is that a question. We need a full timer. Someone to fully dedicate every waking hour of their being toward revitalizing DNC. No half measures this time.
Would be the absolute last seat in MN to flip. Ellison usually racks up 60-70% of the vote without breaking a sweat.

Edit: Ellison got 69% this year while Clinton only carried the state by a point. The legal marijuana party guy got 8%.
Thanks. So its up to him if he wants the job.

Clinton only carried Minnesota by one point!?!?

The last few part timers we had spent more time fundraising and worrying about their own re-election than running the DNC.

sazzy

don't worry peeps CNN is here is to help you with your grief

WCTJXr.png

Diablos

Argh, I wish people would realise there is more than one reason why Hillary lost the election.
The electoral college is a sham that has royally fucked left leaning politics twice in 16 years. It has to go. There are other reasons but this is basically a fact. The EC more frequently than ever denies the will of the people.

WCTJXr.png
4. Don't watch our network because we were basically Trump's GOTV at least 5 nights a week

I hope CNN ratings tank. They helped create this monster.

WCTJXr.png

It's really sad the media needs to put this out to calm people down. People shouldn't be afraid for their lives depending on who won the presidency. Our democracy is going through probably the hardest trials it's had to go through since the Civil War.

The electoral college is a sham that has royally fucked left leaning politics twice in 16 years. It has to go. There are other reasons but this is basically a dieting fact. The EC more frequently than ever denies the will of the people.
I agree, but we both know a republican Supreme Court would strike down that popular electoral vote compact. This is a dead end.

SexyFish

Banned
It's really sad the media needs to put this out to calm people down. People shouldn't be afraid for their lives depending on who won the presidency. Our democracy is going through probably the hardest trials it's had to go through since the Civil War.
I legitimately scheduled a visit with my psychiatrist for the first time in months. Pretty fucking sad actually.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I agree, but we both know a republican Supreme Court would strike down that popular electoral vote compact. This is a dead end.

Never mind that! The NIC won't ever pass because Democrats are dead at a state party level, and to get states to pass it into law you need to win state houses. It'd never even end up on the desk of the supreme court to begin with!

sazzy

Call up America's billionaires and get them to pay off about a 100 of the EC voters and vote for Hillary.

Crisis averted.

The last few part timers we had spent more time fundraising and worrying about their own re-election than running the DNC.
Just looked.

2%. 47-45. Pretty similar to Gore and Kerry. Still better than fucking Wisconsin/Michigan/Pennsylvania.

I can't totally bring myself to look at all of the results...

Pixieking

Banned
Sam Wang ‏@SamWangPhD 4m4 minutes ago

Sam Wang Retweeted Michael Cohen

Movement in key states and nationally post-Comey was about three percentage points, certainly enough to swing outcome.

Michael Cohen
‏@speechboy71

There will be mass denial about this because it implicates news media in hyping these stories, but HRC's polls cratered after Comey letter

Bets on a civil or criminal case against Comey?

Diablos

It's sad. We were entitled to a lot more progress in this country that was denied by an utterly obsolete method of electing our President and the subsequent outright assault on left leaning politics by Republicans who capitalized and will capitalize again on a system that allows the will of the people to be ignored. Everything from the gutting of the VRA to citizens united would have been DOA. Not to mention the wars and all the GOP policies that pushed our economy to the brink and likely will again.

I legitimately scheduled a visit with my psychiatrist for the first time in months. Pretty fucking sad actually.

I have a feeling the suicide rate over the next four years is going to reach very uncomfortable levels.

It's our duty as decent human beings to make sure those that will be hurt and oppressed know they have people that respect them and understand them.

Just looked.

2%. 47-45. Pretty similar to Gore and Kerry. Still better than fucking Wisconsin/Michigan/Pennsylvania.

Is Minnesota trending red? Or just a fluke? I was under the impression MN was a solid blue state. But those are swing state margins.

Just looked.

Yeah Minny did good in the end. Reliable blue since Mondale's sole electoral win in 1984 lol. True firewall imo, and not a fake one like WI/PA/MI.

dramatis

How is that a question. We need a full timer. Someone to fully dedicate every waking hour of their being toward revitalizing DNC. No half measures this time.

Thanks. So its up to him if he wants the job.

So yes, then Keith Ellison has to give up his seat.

Before the election, I told my MN friend that he has to watch out for the discontent against refugees in his state. He said MN would never turn red.

Well, MN didn't turn red, but being within 1% makes it practically swing state territory.

I have a feeling the suicide rate over the next four years is going to reach very uncomfortable levels.

It's our duty as decent human beings to make sure those that will be hurt and oppressed know they have people that respect them and understand them.

Is Minnesota trending red? Or just a fluke? I was under the impression MN was a solid blue state. But those are swing state margins.
MN's blueness is often overstated imo, we usually track pretty close to the national vote if a few points to the left.

But yeah, I don't see this as a particular aberration. We are getting to the point though where the cities carry the state which is great for state elections but starting to hurt us in the legislature (GOP controls the state house and senate now).

Still would advertise/campaign here in 2020 as a Democrat even if it's like just a weekend. Trust no one. I think Trump visiting here amped some people up on both sides (like "holy shit are we a swing state?")

tuffy

Bets on a civil or criminal case against Comey?
Unless some evidence shows up, it's going to be hard to prove that he released that vague letter with the intent to sway the election in order to prosecute him.

But ultimately, having an experienced candidate comes at a cost in terms of all the baggage that goes along with a lengthy career. It'd be better to have a candidate who's smart but without a lot of political history to pull from.

PBY

Banned
Unless some evidence shows up, it's going to be hard to prove that he released that vague letter with the intent to sway the election in order to prosecute him.

But ultimately, having an experienced candidate comes at a cost in terms of all the baggage that goes along with a lengthy career. It'd be better to have a candidate who's smart but without a lot of political history to pull from.
Also - the candidate needs to have a better team.

We were fucking sold a bill of goods with Hill's campaign. They sucked. We believed that they had GOTV and a significant data operation - but that was all bunk.

It's disappointing that these non racial things are now validated as proper ways to win elections

- Obstructing government for 8 years, even for laws that are extremely popular. Even for laws required for the entire government to even function. Even for laws that handle emergency clean up and prevention.
- Encouraging hostile foreign governments to meddle with the election and those foreign powers doing so an influencing the results
- That the president isn't allowed to appoint a new justice in his last year
- Federal agencies playing politics in the last week of the election by creating fake scandals using vague terms

These are serious dangers to a functioning government and a working democracy. These cannot be allowed to be validated and they just were. These will likely be the new "normal" for elections, which is going to destroy the quality of our laws and politicians.

Blader

How are people saying Trump won't be finish out his first term because of scandal or impeachment? Scandals seem pretty inevitable, but there were a couple dozen of those in the last 18 months and all they did was make him president! And a GOP controlled Congress is sure as hell not going to impeach a Republican President.

How are people saying Trump won't be finish out his first term because of scandal or impeachment? Scandals seem pretty inevitable, but there were a couple dozen of those in the last 18 months and all they did was make him president! And a GOP controlled Congress is sure as hell not going to impeach a Republican President.

It's one thing to have a scandal as a candidate. He was a private citizen, these scandals were in the past, when he didn't control anything and had no power.

On the other hand, a scandal in the White House would carry much more weight. He's the leader of the free world now, and so scandals can no longer be brushed aside as nothing because each of his new scandals are now directly influencing America.

If he clearly violates the law and does something that would get him impeached, there's no much a GOP congress can do. To not prosecute a criminal president due to partisan politics would hurt them greatly in elections.

I think, because the GOP has been doing whatever they want and saying whatever and gaining seats the last 8 years, that we forget that America holds the president and his party responsible. They always do. Bad presidents and ineffective leadership get punished in midterms and re-elections. Trump cannot blame anyone but Trump or the Republicans for his failures. He has no escape from the blame now.

The GOP directly enabling and refusing to impeach Trump if such an offense does occur (which is... likely) gives the Dems massive amounts of ammo for 2018/2020. Candidate =! President.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom