• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

She put her PAC together like a week after the election.

And Masto doesn't have to give up her Senate seat to run in 2020. She's not up again until 2022.

I know, what I meant was vacating that seat if she were to win in 2020. There's no guarantee we'd get that seat back if she were to win against Trump or were tapped as VP or something. Then again, now that I say it out loud, it might be a decent trade off :lol

Following in Kamala's footsteps...
On paper seems like good VP fodder, but I'd have to see more of her.

I agree with whoever said Bernie shouldn't really get involved in the primary process - in fact the party as a whole should probably abstain from endorsements early on, maybe with the exception of some home state cheerleading (Say if Schumer endorsed Gillibrand, should she be a candidate).

I think Hillary scooping up so many superdelegates out the gate did contribute to the perception that the primary was basically an anointment, and drove a lot of the "Bernie can't win" sentiment that dominated early coverage of the primaries. That already created a bit of animosity for Bernie and his supporters, who we can all agree ended up punching significantly above his weight in the primary. Hillary was already firmly in the driver's seat, you don't need the DNC and superdelegates making it look like anything was rigged.

Get 8-10 good, credentialed candidates in and let the debates, primaries etc cull the field. 2008 gave us three potentially strong candidates out of a field of many more than that (keep in mind we didn't know about Edwards' issues at the time). If you don't want a venomous primary like 2016 this seems like the best way to go.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Now that everyone has had nearly a month to ruminate a bit.....what's everyone feeling like these days?

Better? Worse?

What is everyone's realistic worst-case and best-case scenarios they can foresee at this point, overall, in terms of Trump's presidency for the next four years and what can happen and not happen?

Stop me if these kinds of questions are frowned upon. I am still depressed and these kinds of questions poised to PoliGAF help me cope somewhat....

I still sometimes expect the entire Poligaf and OT filled with people panicking about the results, as if the outcry right after the election would last for the entire 4 years.

I know it's to be expected, but seeing things return to some sort of normalcy somehow makes it all feel worse.

Lois_Lane

Can someone start a thread about how democrats can seize back the local and state offices? And why we lost them in the first place. It's really hard to keep that conversation going here.

Honestly, I console myself with the fact that republicans would have never let anything pass through Congress anyways, so we were screwed either way.

The following is my opinion:
My main consolation (as small as it is) is that I truly think we're about due for another recession. Whoever won this year was going to have to eat it and would likely lose in 2020. I expect it to hit early 2018 (again, opinion based on trends and history...I could be wrong on the timing). With the GOP retaining congress and having the White House, the GOP is going to have to eat that crap sandwich when it happens and basically have no-one to blame it on but themselves (not that they won't try).

I hope that it's enough to sour the mood against the GOP and start earning back some wins at the mid-terms, and the presidency for 2020.

I'm also hoping Wisconsin Dems can actually field someone decent for governor in 2018.

Now that everyone has had nearly a month to ruminate a bit.....what's everyone feeling like these days?

Better? Worse?

What is everyone's realistic worst-case and best-case scenarios they can foresee at this point, overall, in terms of Trump's presidency for the next four years and what can happen and not happen?

Stop me if these kinds of questions are frowned upon. I am still depressed and these kinds of questions poised to PoliGAF help me cope somewhat....

Still pretty depressed. Every time I think I've calmed down, I get reminded of how completely disastrous the Trump administration is going to be even in the best case scenario. Not to mention how embarrassing it is that somebody like Trump can actually be rewarded with the highest office of the land. I just can't be convinced that this is gonna be anything less than the Bush years on steroids.

I think I'm just trying to enter the escapism phase, I'm still gonna vote and donate whatever I can to good causes, but I just won't be able to handle paying attention to much political news going forward. It wouldn't be so bad if the media would hold that idiot to task but unfortunately it's an ordeal for most outlets to bother caring more about integrity than having an easy wellspring of "controversial" tweets and soundbites to have talking heads gab at each other about for the next 4 (and hopefully just 4, oh my god) years.

I still sometimes expect the entire Poligaf and OT filled with people panicking about the results, as if the outcry right after the election would last for the entire 4 years.

I know it's to be expected, but seeing things return to some sort of normalcy somehow makes it all feel worse.

His term hasn't even started yet and everyone's already exhausted of his bullshit.

3 weeks out from the election, I'm still depressed, infuriated, numb, all at the same time. I keep expecting to wake up to a different reality. The idea that Donald J. Trump is going to be president is just too insane to be real, and events like yesterday's nonsense over voter fraud just demonstrate the man will be an embarrassment and disgrace in office, and there's little to be done about it.

Needless to say, I have no confidence in the electorate to see the error of its ways, nor do I think the media will be up to the task (particularly not the networks). Print journalism will be better, but nobody reads.

Future

Why do I have a feeling that if trump keeps doing stuff like this while he is president that in the next election he will actually lose the PV even worse and may lose the EC.

That's like a wet dream but I'm too cynical to believe that

This shit right here is what made him seem so unelectable. He hears things he likes and makes them into facts, and then he hears actual facts he doesn't like and dismisses them into conspiracy. He is petty, and must seem like a winner all the time. So him claiming there isn't enough voter fraud to have audits in states he won, but then claim he lost states because of voter fraud are contradictions right up his alley. Further, they ignite hate and disdain in both parties and destroys unity

Yet, this is exactly what people wanted. This was just as bad supposedly as some shady Clinton shinannigans or whatever. The simple fact that you can't believe a word this man says as being truthful was A OK to a near majority of Americans

I'm still in the depressed stage. Is acceptance next? I always forget :p

Following in Kamala's footsteps...
Boom.

Told you all that Harris and Masto would be great contenders.

Cool. So what do we do?

I tried making a thread about that but it got locked. :/

Also, you guys are thinking things wrong with regards to VP pick.

You go with Harris or Masto as POTUS nominee, then you have some old white experienced guy as the running mate. Sheldon Whitehouse would fit that role perfectly.

Vahagn

Boom.

Told you all that Harris and Masto would be great contenders.

I tried making a thread about that but it got locked. :/

Also, you guys are thinking things wrong with regards to VP pick.

You go with Harris or Masto as POTUS nominee, then you have some old white experienced guy as the running mate. Sheldon Whitehouse would fit that role perfectly.

Ok so let's talk about it here.

My thought was to create a private facebook group that specifically addressed actions moving forward and explicitly rejected memes, news articles not related to action items, and dialogue about ideology.

And then start inviting liberal folks in my social circle and then telling them to invite liberal people in their social circle etc.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Can someone start a thread about how democrats can seize back the local and state offices? And why we lost them in the first place. It's really hard to keep that conversation going here.

I think the actual future of the Democratic party rests on the local / state levels. It is frustrating to see people arguing about the high level stuff and ignoring the local / state stuff, because that's precisely what got us into this mess IMO.

Ok so let's talk about it here.

My thought was to create a private facebook group that specifically addressed actions moving forward and explicitly rejected memes, news articles not related to action items, and dialogue about ideology.

And then start inviting liberal folks in my social circle and then telling them to invite liberal people in their social circle etc.

In terms of what the DNC needs to do Here's the post I made:
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=225582533

In terms of what WE need to do, the answer is campaign campaign campaign and get every liberal and progressive you know on the same damn page in terms of both what the DNC needs and the fact that everyone needs to focus on turning this antiTrump energy into regular midterm voters.

I tried a thread on what the Dems need to do, but apparently too many so-called progressives are too busy looking for democrats to blame than to actually discuss a 50 state strategy.

My county Democratic party are having a "Be Part of the Future" meeting tonight that I'm planning to attend, though I'm not sure exactly how these things go as I've never been to one before. We lost 3/4 elections that had multiple candidates for, including the incumbent state senator who seemed really popular, so it'll be interesting I guess to see what the future looks like for this. I imagine the last state legislator we have for the district will speak but I wonder who/what else will go on here.

Lois_Lane

I think the actual future of the Democratic party rests on the local / state levels. It is frustrating to see people arguing about the high level stuff and ignoring the local / state stuff, because that's precisely what got us into this mess IMO.

Exactly!! Obama could have done so much more if we controlled the House and the Senate but noooooooo, the candidates aren't charismatic enough. Let's protest instead!

You know what the absolute worse thing is?

Half the shit we want could be pushed much farther on the local level.

Want Trans students to be allowed to use the bathroom of their choice in school?

Run for school board.

Want maternity leave?

Run for state legislature.

Get better training for police officers?

Commissioner or Sheriff.

But nope. National. National. That's all that matters and I don't know how to fix this diseased myopic view. Which is why I want this thread up.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I would really like to see other democratic elected officials start taking the tone Bernie Sanders and Harry Reid do on Twitter. Democrats for far too long have been passive when it comes to speaking about what should be done in the country.

I would really like to see other democratic elected officials start taking the tone Bernie Sanders and Harry Reid do on Twitter. Democrats for far too long have been passive when it comes to speaking about what should be done in the country.

Democrats are pussies, that's not changing anytime soon

Well Hillary Clinton's Twitter had some good zingers on Trump during the election season.

But everyone who didn't want to like Hillary's team had keep bringing up the obvious fact that politicians' Twitter accounts aren't handled by the politicians.

I agree that with the VAST MAJORITY of Trump voters we can't waste time reaching them.

But any Trump voter that also voted for Obama can absolutely be reached by the democrats, ESPECIALLY after Trump fails to bring back those jobs that he claims were lost by trade (but were really lost by automation).

And reaching those Obama/Trump voters won't require abondoning civil rights issues either. All it will require is that in addition to having civil rights being a major part of the Democratic platform and campaign, you have a huge chunk devoted to a message that flanks the anti-trade rhetoric by saying "There are jobs that will be gone for good by automation, but there are still areas that need more workers. Areas that if we start training people for, we will not only start having a booming economy again, but we will also become THE economic superpower again by having a workforce that every country wants to import."

These voters like to flip flop.

I bet a lot of these guys voted for Bush as well. I met someone like that, every 8 years he would just reflexively vote for the other side.

He was a strong believer in "gridlock."

I tried a thread on what the Dems need to do, but apparently too many so-called progressives are too busy looking for democrats to blame than to actually discuss a 50 state strategy.

These threads are useless without factual details about where people can go and whom they can meet.

Providing that information is the way to start.

chadskin

CyY9xloW8AAEoyp.jpg

Doesn't even have the newest MacBook Pro. Sad!

Blader

Yep. I'm more excited for Dems to make serious state and local gains in 2018 than in Congress (though I think retaking the House, depending on a Trump backlash, isn't totally impossible?). The more governorships and state legislature seats we pick in '17 and '18, the better position we'll be in for redistricting after 2020. Frankly, I think Hillary winning this year would've put us on track for another 2010-esque round of gerrymandering, because there's no way the country wouldn't respond to a President Hillary Clinton with anything other than cramming more Republicans into local, state, and congressional seats, and the DNC would've been too complacent with their third presidential win in a row to make the serious grassroots push that they have to do now.

Phew. I thought for sure McCrory and the state GOP were going to steal this.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Exactly!! Obama could have done so much more if we controlled the House and the Senate but noooooooo, the candidates aren't charismatic enough. Let's protest instead!

You know what the absolute worse thing is?

Half the shit we want could be pushed much farther on the local level.

Want Trans students to be allowed to use the bathroom of their choice in school?

Run for school board.

Want maternity leave?

Run for state legislature.

Get better training for police officers?

Commissioner or Sheriff.

But nope. National. National. That's all that matters and I don't know how to fix this diseased myopic view. Which is why I want this thread up.

I think there's this prevailing belief that policies only matter if enacted at the presidential or gubernatorial level - when in fact I believe that most policies start at local levels and then tend to trickle their way up. I think we've focused too much on trying to force change at a federal / SCOTUS level downward rather than working on change upward.

Yep. I'm more excited for Dems to make serious state and local gains in 2018 than in Congress (though I think retaking the House, depending on a Trump backlash, isn't totally impossible?). The more governorships and state legislature seats we pick in '17 and '18, the better position we'll be in for redistricting after 2020. Frankly, I think Hillary winning this year would've put us on track for another 2010-esque round of gerrymandering, because there's no way the country wouldn't respond to a President Hillary Clinton with anything other than cramming more Republicans into local, state, and congressional seats, and the DNC would've been too complacent with their third presidential win in a row to make the serious grassroots push that they have to do now.

Retaking the house will be hard, but there are some pretty vulnerable GOP seats in 2018 (GOP folks in blue districts). But I think our energy is better focused at a local level and pushing local policies that tend to have a pretty strong impact to that community's every day life, and can be better tailored to fit the needs of that community (and have less of a chance of unintended consequences).

Lois_Lane

I think there's this prevailing belief that policies only matter if enacted at the presidential or gubernatorial level - when in fact I believe that most policies start at local levels and then tend to trickle their way up. I think we've focused too much on trying to force change at a federal / SCOTUS level downward rather than working on change upward.

How do we change this belief? Why do the Republicans retain faith in the system even when they're losing but we don't? Why is it we don't see the powers Repubs wield but never try to replicate it ourselves?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...20b182-b043-11e6-be1c-8cec35b1ad25_story.html
Among young, liberal women who expected to see the country elect its first female president Nov. 8, Hernández is not alone; many are responding to Hillary Clinton’s defeat with a new sense of obligation to seek political power. After years of never imagining a career in the public eye or only vaguely entertaining the idea of working in politics, these women are determined to run for elected office.
Silver lining I guess of the first major party female nominee losing to a misogynist.

Wilsongt

I was a teacher in NC for 5 years and left the state because of Pat and how he ran education. He called me an entitled millennial to my face in 2014. I have watched that race so closely and was so worried he would find a way to weasel it away.

Congrats to Roy Cooper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiCTSsxgeOc

Will Cooper even be able to do anything as gov wih a majority GOP congress? And if mccrory decides to stack the court?

Tendo

Why did Pat McCrory call you to your face an entitled millenial? Are you?

I, along with some other teachers of the year dared to ask for raises after a pay freeze from 2008 that had not yet been lifted. After 5 years in NC I was still classified as a year 0 teacher.

So yeah, entitled etc. haha.

Will Cooper even be able to do anything as gov wih a majority GOP congress? And if mccrory decides to stack the court?

If he stacks the court I think he will be very limited, although they would be free to decide however they want. I'm not to familiar with that aspect of the state constitution.

I seriously doubt they will stack the court after all of this. Even if he does nothing, the governor's party has a majority of every election county board in the state. So a lot of the problems with voting in 2016 would be alleviated in 18 and 20.

Retaking the house will be hard, but there are some pretty vulnerable GOP seats in 2018 (GOP folks in blue districts). But I think our energy is better focused at a local level and pushing local policies that tend to have a pretty strong impact to that community's every day life, and can be better tailored to fit the needs of that community (and have less of a chance of unintended consequences).

The tough nut to crack is that if something isn't done at the federal level, then red states (hardcore ones, not slightly red ones) are basically abandoned, and some of those places (the South, for example) are full of minorities who will get shit on hardcore without federal support. Civil Rights only came to Mississippi at federal gunpoint, for instance. But there is a flip side to this problem of red states blocking the feds...

How do we change this belief? Why do the Republicans retain faith in the system even when they're losing but we don't? Why is it we don't see the powers Repubs wield but never try to replicate it ourselves?

....which is that blue states can also block Republican federal action and enact left-wing policy, which should be evidently better to everyone (the difference between Kansas and Virginia should be clear). Then you use this evidence to build up support locally. Don't want your state to turn out like shitty Kansas? Vote out the local GOP! This Trump presidency (still reflexively vomit a bit when I say/type that) is going to devastate any state that doesn't actively oppose his plans. Then the blue states that held the line can point to their success like diamonds in the rough, and it's clearly due to local/state level control.

Will Cooper be able to get rid of hb2, tho...

I mean, first you wanted to know if he'll do anything, and then if they'll stack the courts, and then HB2. Draw the line somewhere!

So, like, no, but he'll still have a decent amount of power, even with veto-proof legislatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom