• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
This image is being shared around by a lot of my family who voted for Trump:

x1dkrom.jpg
this just illustrated my point perfectly, unless your family members are reliable Republicans.

Trurl

Banned
I mean, it IS an entitlement. The sassy tone that these images take is annoying.

That said I want to expand social security.

pigeon

Banned
I mean, it IS an entitlement. The sassy tone that these images take is annoying.

That said I want to expand social security.

It's amazing that "entitlement" is now considered a dirty word among conservatives when it was originally invented by conservatives to avoid saying "welfare."

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm sure if Obama had done the same, his opponents would just be claiming that it's big bad government imposing its will on businesses.

I mean, that's politics, each party is going to attack the other for everything they do. The Daily Show would have 0 material if politicians didn't oppose something until their party does it.

I'm surprised they still wouldnt save more money even with tax breaks so I will be interested to see all the things they gave them. That being said a few wins like that and and the good press will send his approval rate up

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm surprised they still wouldnt save more money even with tax breaks so I will be interested to see all the things they gave them. That being said a few wins like that and and the good press will send his approval rate up

The suspicion in the other thread is Pence has control over some type of program he used to downsize their outsourcing.

I don't think the President himself has such a program.

Jumplion

This image is being shared around by a lot of my family who voted for Trump:

x1dkrom.jpg

The inevitable (and hopefully big) backlash that the Republicans will get on their healthcare "reforms" is something that needs to be seized upon. It's not just Paul Ryan, the entire Republican platform removes your healthcare and replaces it with an objectively inferior version (if at all). Every Republican's position on health care needs to be individually pinned on them for the crap that it is, and the people that voted for them need understand that the Democrats are, at the bare minimum, trying to get better healthcare for them. The Republicans are just doing healthcare based on (flawed) principle rather than effectivness.

As I said in my last post, the Left has a problem with in-fighting. Specifically from a US perspective, the Democrats/Progressives will argue with itself and be "all-or-nothing" on a bunch of internal issues and politics, whereas the Republicans/Conservatives tend to co-opt each other if it means they'll get closer to what they want. Thinking about it some more, I also think that it's bizarrely backward when they deal with external groups. The Democrats are extremely compromising and try to utilize other's wants and goals to compromise and get what they want and inch closer to their goal, while the Republicans are steadfast "all-or-nothing" and have refused compromise. This dynamic needs to be reversed, at the very least for the Democrats/liberals, which, given Democrat's pension for bending their spines over to feel like the good guy, is not going to happen any time soon unless they/we deliberately try to change that.

EDIT: Also *wah wah*
Arrested Development or Curb your Enthusiasm intro works fine either way

The suspicion in the other thread is Pence has control over some type of program he used to downsize their outsourcing.

I don't think the President himself has such a program.

Well the only one who can do stuff like that is Pence and that's it. Trump is not actually capable of creating the deal because he literally can't do that i.e no legal authority. Unless he promised tax breaks as President, but only it'll pass as if Congress are OK with it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Don't see why anyone is getting excited about this NC ruling. It will be appealed to SCOTUS, and SCOTUS will overturn the ruling.

For how long though?

Until there were grounds to revisit it ie they'd have to come up with a slightly different scheme, legislate it, and then the thing would have to be relitigated again (which would be difficult because you until the Fed court the previous ruling standing makes it precedent).

So North Carolina holding new legislative elections next year?

Assuming it holds up, we'll have that in addition to Virginia gov/lt. gov/AG and state assembly, New Jersey governor and legislature... we'll see if any Trump backlash can help us sweep those.

KingBroly

Banned

Assuming it holds up, we'll have that in addition to Virginia gov/lt. gov/AG and state assembly, New Jersey governor and legislature... we'll see if any Trump backlash can help us sweep those.

They'll take it to SCOTUS after a 9th Judge gets seated. Just like the Voter ID law.

Jill Stein's request for a hand recount statewide in Wisconsin has been DENIED

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Until there were grounds to revisit it ie they'd have to come up with a slightly different scheme, legislate it, and then the thing would have to be relitigated again (which would be difficult because you until the Fed court the previous ruling standing makes it precedent).

Once the ruling is chucked back to the lower courts, that's it unless this whole thing comes up in a separate case

Well, that makes things a little better, I suppose.

We had the legislature in New Jersey already so I don't think that would make any difference.

Well, that makes things a little better, I suppose.

We had the legislature in New Jersey already so I don't think that would make any difference.
We do, but it'd be nice to hold those margins. In fact I believe Democrats even picked up seats when Christie won reelection basically unchecked. (There was a token Dem candidate who never received any serious support)

Virginia's state assembly map is gerrymandered into oblivion, but Democrats could close the gap to a 45-55 minority or something. That being said they should certainly play for every seat. McAuliffe is also termed out so we have to make sure a Democrat wins to succeed him. GOP holds the State Senate majority by one vote but that's not up again until 2019 (and the current map is a pretty rigid incumbent protection map).

NC we'll have to wait and see what the new maps look like, but any chance to give Cooper a clean slate is good in my book.

I take back every even slightly positive thing I ever said about Mitt Romney in the last 6 months.

Despicable.
For trying to get SoS? I don't think this is naked ambition, I think this is him trying to make the next four years less of a disaster. He's loads better than Giuliani or Bolton and we should be okay with settling for him, since it's not going to get any better than him (well, maybe Corker is a bit better).

They'll take it to SCOTUS after a 9th Judge gets seated. Just like the Voter ID law.

How?

The deadline is in March. Trump isn't president until the end of January. There's no way to get a Supreme Court justice on the bench in time to rule for the March redraw

It'll get appealed (which will take time). The SC will look at it (which will take time). Roberts will say "eh, nah, lower court is fine, we don't have time for this" and that's the end.

Christie will deliver us NJ, no need for a Trump backlash. I still hope for one though.

Crocodile

I take back every even slightly positive thing I ever said about Mitt Romney in the last 6 months.

Despicable.

Yeah I think at this point we can put all or close to all Republicans in Washington in the deplorable basket. Even when they showed a spine in the primary, they have been coming back to kiss the ring one by one which of course means all their previous condemnations don't mean anything. Would someone like McMullin come to kiss the ring if he was in Washington? I'm suspecting the answer is yes :/

For trying to get SoS? I don't think this is naked ambition, I think this is him trying to make the next four years less of a disaster. He's loads better than Giuliani or Bolton and we should be okay with settling for him, since it's not going to get any better than him (well, maybe Corker is a bit better).

This isn't an unfair point but I think Romney could have still carried himself better. Trying to call Trump "inclusive" among other things is vomit-inducing.

Yeah I think at this point we can put all or close to all Republicans in Washington in the deplorable basket. Even when they showed a spine in the primary, they have been coming back to kiss the ring one by one which of course means all their previous condemnations don't mean anything. Would someone like McMullin come to kiss the ring if he was in Washington? I'm suspecting the answer is yes :/

This isn't an unfair point but I think Romney could have still carried himself better. Trying to call Trump "inclusive" among other things is vomit-inducing.
Oh, I didn't see that. Gross.

I'm going to laugh my ass off when Romney is sucking Putins taint on the world stage in a few months.

Of course some part of me knows they have no convictions and feel no shame so it means nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom