• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like Tim Ryan.

From the interviews I saw of him recently, it seems like he just wants to pander to white blue collars. He keeps saying he wants to bring manufacturing jobs and other manual labor intensive jobs back to the rust belt. But that's just being dishonest. Those jobs are mostly gone and never coming back any large numbers. They need to job train and develop newer skills, so they can take advantage of the modern economy.

Republicans have benefited from the rust belt's slow decay because it furthers strengthens the cultural divide and resentment, which plays into the GOP's hands. But if Dems actually want to reach those people, they need to focus on things that will actually make a difference. But pandering to a shrinking stubborn demographic is a waste of time, especially when energy could be better spent elsewhere.

Pixieking

Banned
I don't like Tim Ryan.

From the interviews I saw of him recently, it seems like he just wants to pander to white blue collars. He keeps saying he wants to bring manufacturing jobs and other manual labor intensive jobs back to the rust belt. But that's just being dishonest. Those jobs are mostly gone and never coming back any large numbers. They need to job train and develop newer skills, so they can take advantage of the modern economy.

Republicans have benefited from the rust belt's slow decay because it furthers strengthens the cultural divide and resentment, which plays into the GOP's hands. But if Dems actually want to reach those people, they need to focus on things that will actually make a difference. But pandering to a shrinking stubborn demographic is a waste of time, especially when energy could be better spent elsewhere.

But they don't want to hear that their jobs are gone and retraining is the only way, otherwise Hillary's message would've broken through? Surely?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Retraining isn't a job. It's part of the path to a job, but between your current job being guaranteed and being offered retraining, you're going to take the job and not part of the path to a job.

Anyone watching CNN? the retired Democrat general said the reason for the stabbing was because that Somalian attacker didn't have enough job opportunities WTF?? The kid was 18 at OSU and was an honors student at the community college he was before transferring to OSU, had the world in front of him. Was probably the most cringe PC response I've ever heard regarding this type of matter, the type of shit that got so many people sick of the democratic party in the first place

The response was South Park/Onion level of liberal PC political talking points, just unbelievable

So, how the fuck is that less plausible/believable than "HE KILLED THEM BECAUSE HE'S A MUSLIM!!". I'm assuming that's the explanation you want, right?

They were waaaay worse the previous days. Way worse. That's why CNN called them out.

Anyway, I agree saving a random factory here and there is hardly an economic plan. We need to create 200-250k jobs per month for the economy to grow at a decent rate. So saving a few factories with 1k or 2k jobs here and there, is a drop in the bucket.

For now though Trump will probably be able to surf the momentum of the Obama recovery, so he can get away with these PR moves of saving a couple of random factories in the short term. But pretty soon a bunch of companies will start threatening to move jobs overseas if they don't also get a sweetheart tax break deal and the whole thing could quickly become a PR nightmare.

Yeah I don't watch regularly but today they didn't seem to have a critical stance, so if that's an improvement... *shrug*. Seeing that video of Mika at Trump Tower was hilarious.

They're clearly in the tank, but they seem to be profitable for MSNBC, wish they were gone TBH

Now every company will threaten to leave if they don't get some help from the government. Crony capitalism at its best

(Unless the US gets out of NAFTA, good luck with that)

So, how the fuck is that less plausible/believable than "HE KILLED THEM BECAUSE HE'S A MUSLIM!!". I'm assuming that's the explanation you want, right?

Oh yeah, I watched that clip yesterday--it was Wesley Clark, first of all. Blitzer asked "how do we stop this from happening" and Clark broadly answered about providing jobs and opportunities and education etc. rather than profiling or persecuting Muslims, Blitzer retorted that this particular guy was a college student from a decent background and Clark just emphasized that these individuals sometimes turn out to have some other mental issue and again that targeting Muslims in general doesn't help.

Clark's initial answer was a bit deflective but it was an unremarkable exchange overall. But some posters tend to have "concerns".

How does Trump's online fan club feel about all these insiders and big banker types being part of Trump's team?

These are the same people they believed would influence Clinton. Has reality come crashing onto their heads yet?

Indeed, and regarding a recent good-faith discussion with Heavy/Barack here about Pence's influence:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/30/politics/mike-pence-role-donald-trump-administration/index.html

Caption This

161129212927-trump-romney-overlay-tease.jpg

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/803783834110197760

geomon

The Trump/Carrier thread has me wanting to just give up.

"See? Trump is delivering on his promises." Makes me want to just climb a hill and watch it all burn down.

pigeon

Banned
I was hoping there would be an upset and Tim Ryan would get the Minority Leader position : (

http://www.wsj.com/articles/rep-nan...se-democratic-leader-post-1480524333?mod=e2tw

Pelosi is great at her job and everybody in the Democratic Party loves her. I understand the desire to throw out all the Democratic leadership because people are idiots but I can't endorse it.

Anyone watching CNN? the retired Democrat general said the reason for the stabbing was because that Somalian attacker didn't have enough job opportunities WTF?? The kid was 18 at OSU and was an honors student at the community college he was before transferring to OSU, had the world in front of him. Was probably the most cringe PC response I've ever heard regarding this type of matter, the type of shit that got so many people sick of the democratic party in the first place

I mean, this was the excuse people gave for millions of white Americans voting for a white supremacist. Seems fine to me to just try it out for everything and see how it goes.

pigeon

Banned
What's not progressive about Nancy Pelosi? She's a rep from San Francisco. How do you get much more liberal than that?

How is she not fit for the job she is currently doing?

As far as I can tell, lots of Bernie supporters use "progressive" to mean "white, male, and class-oriented."

So you can see the problem with Pelosi!

Why would you want someone young running a position that requires a big level of clout amongst members?

And there isn't even a good reason to want her gone? Have people forgotten who was in the trenches fighting when it looked like Obamacare was dead?

Grief.exe

I prepared a graph for the US media to use:
rn4ryFfl.png

What's the y axis?

And unlike Mr Chucky Shoomer

She has the distinction of contributing the most among members of Congress to other congressional campaigns because she is in a safe district and does not need the campaign funds.

My respect level just went through the roof. That means she is trying to get progressive policies enacted, rather than be complacent in merely holding power.

What's not progressive about Nancy Pelosi? She's a rep from San Francisco. How do you get much more liberal than that?

How is she not fit for the job she is currently doing?

As far as I can tell, lots of Bernie supporters use "progressive" to mean "white, male, and class-oriented."

So you can see the problem with Pelosi!

I did not support Bernie, any regulars know that.

She has been Dem house leader since 2002 I believe. That's now 14 years, I think it is time for house leadership to have another face. I don't know why Dems are so afraid to dump their leaders. We ask why people are staying home, why they are not turning out but stick to the same people at the top. The top house leadership is 75 years over, that is not a good sign IMO.

Pelosi is not going to be the party figurehead.

She is still Dem leader in the house.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
How does Trump's online fan club feel about all these insiders and big banker types being part of Trump's team?

These are the same people they believed would influence Clinton. Has reality come crashing onto their heads yet?

I think for a very large portion of his base it does not, and never will, matter. Sure there are some folks who will realize they were literally duped by a con man when they voted for him, but for many all that matters is that they won and the people they hate lost. Whether that's Hillary personally, liberals/dems in general, or just the smattering of "others" that make up the entire non-white/christian spectrum, seeing Trump in charge makes them feel better because it's bad for the people they dislike, the people who are wrong.

I mean, just look at the apparent Treasury secretary appointment. That's the kind of dude that would literally be getting death threats if Hillary won and appointed him. But he's Trumps pick so he's at least good enough. There is no level of hypocrisy or cognitive dissonance too extreme for these people.

Reading the WaPo article about it makes it seem like her biggest criticism is that she hasn't cultivated new party leadership but Ryan doesn't seem like a reasonable challenger.

I did not support Bernie, any regulars know that.

She has been Dem house leader since 2002 I believe. That's now 14 years, I think it is time for house leadership to have another face. I don't know why Dems are so afraid to dump their leaders. We ask why people are staying home, why they are not turning out but stick to the same people at the top. The top house leadership is 75 years over, that is not a good sign IMO.

Time spent doing a job is not grounds to kick that person out of their job. Think of any other job. Saying "they've been in this job too long, they're too experienced, fire them" would be nonsense.

You're condemning experience and being casually ageist. This is a position that needs to be filled by someone with experience who is able to make connections and organize.

Pixieking

Banned
Planned Parenthood and Fellow Reproductive Rights Groups Sue Over Unconstitutional Abortion Restrictions in Three States

The resistance starts now: Planned Parenthood, ACLU, and the Center for Reproductive Rights just filed lawsuits in Alaska, Missouri, and North Carolina over dangerous, unconstitutional, medically unecessary abortion restrictions. The three lawsuits follow the U.S. Supreme Court’s landmark decision in Whole Woman’s Health v. Hellerstedt, which struck down two Texas laws that devastated access to abortion in the state. Since the ruling, abortion restrictions have been blocked in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin — and that’s just the beginning.

Specifically, the lawsuits challenge the following restrictions on safe and legal abortion:

Medically unnecessary restrictions in Alaska, passed more than 40 years ago, that ban abortion in outpatient health centers after the first trimester of pregnancy, forcing many women to travel out of state for procedures.

Medically unnecessary restrictions in Missouri that have forced nearly all health centers to cease to provide abortion in the state. Only one licensed provider remains.

A ban on abortion after the 20th week of pregnancy in North Carolina that only permitted access to abortion after the 20th week of pregnancy under an extremely narrow medical emergency exception.

PP and others doing good work.

kirblar

Reading the WaPo article about it makes it seem like her biggest criticism is that she hasn't cultivated new party leadership but Ryan doesn't seem like a reasonable challenger.
Again, not on her. That was on Obama. (who is taking the leadership mantle post-election, if it weren't obvious.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom