• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're not going to have 67 Senate seats.

I think he's talking about a convention. 34 legislatures to call one, 38 legislatures to ratify an amendment. Republicans completely control 33 state legislatures. Some of the states under split control include Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, and MInnesota, states Trump did very well in.

I honestly want to know why I shouldn't worry about this.

I think he's talking about a convention. 34 legislatures to call one, 38 legislatures to ratify an amendment. Republicans completely control 33 state legislatures. Some of the states under split control include Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, and MInnesota, states Trump did very well in.

I honestly want to know why I shouldn't worry about this.

GOP has full control of Iowa now.

Branstad is already talking about stripping collective bargaining rights from public workers. -_-

Trump doesn't have to save jobs or fulfill most/all his promises. Obama made a whole lot of promises during his election, many of which were not fulfilled by 2012. He won in part because he was able to sell the argument that the country was moving in the right direction (hence, "Forward"). If Trump can show that his unorthodox actions have the country on the right direction economically...he's going to have a good shot at winning. If things are a disaster then he'll have a harder time making that argument. Especially if people aren't better off in four years.

I think democrats also have to deal with the fact that his most fervent supporters aren't going anywhere. Unless Trump passes immigration reform he's going to keep his base. They believe he's on their side, and they believe everything he says (the media is out to get him, establishment republicans want to sabotage him, etc). Those people aren't going to look around in 2019 and say "damn Trump didn't keep his promises." Just as most democrat voters didn't do that with Obama in 2011.

2016 was largely a turnout election, and we lost. We don't know what 2020 will bring but it's always best to prepare for a turnout race. And democrats need to deal with the voter suppression barriers. We can't afford to sit around crying over them; I'm not saying anyone is doing that nor or did it during the 2016 campaign. It's the reality we have to deal with. One of the ways you deal with it is by nominating a good candidate who inspires people, and convinces them to deal with the fuckery (long lines, getting an ID, etc). The other way is a grassroots push to focus on getting people the shit they need in order to vote. Democrats did it this year in multiple states, especially Arizona...they can't afford not to do it in Michigan and Wisconsin in 2020.

I am so sick of my co workers telling me daily how great everything is. Stock Market is up, carrier is staying etc etc. All thanks to Trump.

He isn't even president yet.

Obama fulfilled many of his promises. Enough that he showed clear evidence he was the right person for the job. He was getting the economy back on track, he passed a major healthcare law, unemployment was rebounding, and generally everything was looking better

However, Trump can only make it worse, since unemployment is almost at as low as it can go. There's no recession to clean up. There really isn't anything. Obama left Trump in probably the best shape he possibly could have. So Trump can only mess it up. And he will.

Him saving a thousand jobs while another thousand leave isn't really doing anything that the people who voted for him want. They want new jobs that are like their old jobs. New jobs without healthcare, pensions, time off, stuff like that isn't what they want. And old jobs that Trump keeps here doesn't help these people.

Jeels

Obama fulfilled many of his promises. Enough that he showed clear evidence he was the right person for the job. He was getting the economy back on track, he passed a major healthcare law, unemployment was rebounding, and generally everything was looking better

However, Trump can only make it worse, since unemployment is almost at as low as it can go. There's no recession to clean up. There really isn't anything. Obama left Trump in probably the best shape he possibly could have. So Trump can only mess it up. And he will.

Him saving a thousand jobs while another thousand leave isn't really doing anything that the people who voted for him want. They want new jobs that are like their old jobs. New jobs without healthcare, pensions, time off, stuff like that isn't what they want. And old jobs that Trump keeps here doesn't help these people.

What about crazy tax cuts spurring economic growth? Can we actually feel the effect of tax cuts within two years?

Edit: Note I do not believe in trickle down BS, I am just saying, can we feel effects of such a policy, positive or negative, within two years, and is it readily apparent that the effects are tied to tax cuts?

What about crazy tax cuts spurring economic growth? Can we actually feel the effect of tax cuts within two years?

Edit: Note I do not believe in trickle down BS, I am just saying, can we feel effects of such a policy, positive or negative, within two years, and is it readily apparent that the effects are tied to tax cuts?

You don't sell yourself on "remember those things I did years ago that I said would help, just give me more time, and trust me they'll work. Just more time, please guys"

If no effects are felt, good or bad, until after 2020, Trump will have a hard time selling it as an accomplishment.

royalan

Trump doesn't have to save jobs or fulfill most/all his promises. Obama made a whole lot of promises during his election, many of which were not fulfilled by 2012. He won in part because he was able to sell the argument that the country was moving in the right direction (hence, "Forward"). If Trump can show that his unorthodox actions have the country on the right direction economically...he's going to thave a good shot at winning. If things are a disaster then he'll have a harder time making that argument. Especially if people aren't better off in four years.

I think democrats also have to deal with the fact that his most fervent supporters aren't going anywhere. Unless Trump passes immigration reform he's going to keep his base. They believe he's on their side, and they believe everything he says (the media is out to get him, establishment republicans want to sabotage him, etc). Those people aren't going to look around in 2019 and say "damn Trump didn't keep his promises." Just as most democrat voters didn't do that with Obama in 2011.

2016 was largely a turnout election, and we lost. We don't know what 2020 will bring but it's always best to prepare for a turnout race. And democrats need to deal with the voter suppression barriers. We can't afford to sit around crying over them; I'm not saying anyone is doing that nor or did it during the 2016 campaign. It's the reality we have to deal with. One of the ways you deal with it is by nominating a good candidate who inspires people, and convinces them to deal with the fuckery (long lines, getting an ID, etc). The other way is a grassroots push to focus on getting people the shit they need in order to vote. Democrats did it this year in multiple states, especially Arizona...they can't afford not to do it in Michigan and Wisconsin in 2020.

Exactly.

Trump can drive our economy into ground and get us into a war, and all he'll have to do is blame Black and Brown people and his base will stay put. Because it's not about his policies and it never was.

Democrats don't win by running against Trump's policies. They win by turning him into a cuck.

If Trump destroys the economy and puts us in a disaster of a war, 2020 would easily be a repeat of 2008. There would be no chance at all he'd have a prayer of winning.

2016 wasn't about his policies because he had no policies. No political history to point to. Just stuff he's said and some empty proposals. When he actually has a political record, it's an entirely different ball game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
If Trump destroys the economy and puts us in a disaster of a war, 2020 would easily be a repeat of 2008. There would be no chance at all he'd have a prayer of winning.

2016 wasn't about his policies because he had no policies. No political history to point to. Just stuff he's said and some empty proposals. When he actually has a political record, it's an entirely different ball game.

I don't know if that's true anymore. I don't know if anything is true anymore

I'm not trying to overstate Trump's victory in and of itself as being a sign that "everything has changed", but his victory combined with everything we saw leading up to it and everything we've seen since has me very concerned that any sort of rational politics is ineffective

I don't know if that's true anymore. I don't know if anything is true anymore

I'm not trying to overstate Trump's victory in and of itself as being a sign that "everything has changed", but his victory combined with everything we saw leading up to it and everything we've seen since has me very concerned that any sort of rational politics is ineffective

It's not rational politics.

It's "I'm going to make your lives better!!!" and then your life gets worse. That doesn't require rational thinking, just realizing life is awful. Not everyone voted for Trump due to racism and the people who did would have voted Republican anyway. Some legitimately believed Trump offered a way back to their old union manufacturing jobs. When those don't come back, and more move away and Trump appoints bankers to his cabinet and gives massive tax cuts to companies while your water is brown, your air is dirty, you lost your home and you have no healthcare. There are riots daily in major cities. A war is going on that nobody wanted. There's just no way a president, no matter how they originally got in, stays in office under those conditions.

Makai

Any proof?

Is McCaskill actually liked in Missouri? I know she won twice but once was in 2006 and the other was against a garbo candidate who sank himself.

If not then she should step away and Kander should run for her seat in two years.

royalan

It's "I'm going to make your lives better!!!" and then your life gets worse. That doesn't require rational thinking, just realizing life is awful. Not everyone voted for Trump due to racism and the people who did would have voted Republican anyway. Some legitimately believed Trump offered a way back to their old union manufacturing jobs. When those don't come back, and more move away and Trump appoints bankers to his cabinet and gives massive tax cuts to companies while your water is brown, your air is dirty, you lost your home and you have no healthcare. There are riots daily in major cities. A war is going on that nobody wanted. There's just no way a president, no matter how they originally got in, stays in office under those conditions.

If this logic held true Republicans wouldn't have a base in 2016.

Never underestimate the power "It's Black/Brown people's fault!!!" has in this country.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et5-IEi7U8k&feature=youtu.be

Mood music for the Western world. About Brexit, but what you see is universal - could have been Calais, could have been Youngstown, as you see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tHgO0WFCjw

It's not really an argument, but I think they're both worth watching because I think this political revolt isn't an argument. It's a feeling, of anomie and of loss. If you can put yourself in the emotional mindset of these communities, you're a lot closer to understanding.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Recognizing basic cause and effect might be more rational than we can expect

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Trump ran his entire campaign on the boogeyman of non-white people stealing white people's mojo and that's why there's no jobs and everything sucks. It was undocumented immigrants this time as the excuse of the moment.

There's a legitimate danger that if things still suck overall in 4 years, Trump can ply his ability and instincts as a bullshit salesmen and come up with a new "other" for people to hate and scream should be dragged out of the country.

pigeon

Banned
Trump ran his entire campaign on the boogeyman of non-white people stealing white people's mojo and that's why there's no jobs and everything sucks. It was undocumented immigrants this time as the excuse of the moment.

There's a legitimate danger that if things still suck overall in 4 years, Trump can ply his ability and instincts as a bullshit salesmen and come up with a new "other" for people to hate and scream should be dragged out of the country.

It's not a new other. It's the same old other. It's not even complicated!

Why did Trump not succeed? Democratic obstruction. And why are the Democrats obstructing him? Because of their illegal voters, who are all people of color. So just take the vote away from people of color. Strip their citizenship, exile them from the country. Arrest the Democratic Party too since voter fraud is a crime and they're conspiring to do it.

Then we'll finally have a real democracy, right?

Kid Heart

If Trump can get in with no political experience, maybe state level experience could be enough for Kander? If not I hope he at least finds something higher up soon since he seems like a pretty decent guy, and I want him to at least succeed politically in some form or another.

Poligaf's Republican hero Lindsey Graham is working on legislation to protect DACA recipients (Dreamers) from having their citizenship revoked by the Trump administration.

“The worst outcome is to repeal the legal status that these kids have,” Graham said Wednesday. “Whether you agree with them having it or not, they’ve come out of the shadows.”

Graham said he is working with both Democrats and Republicans, and named Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) as one GOP supporter of the forthcoming legislation. While lawmakers are discussing the proposal now, actual legislation won’t be rolled out until the new Congress next year, Graham said.

The plan discussed by Graham would apply just to the immigrants who had been approved under the 2012 directive from Obama. Graham indicated that the legislation would be a bridge from a repeal of DACA “until we can fix the overall problem.”

“It’s going to be basically, if you have legal status, you’ll continue legal status,” Graham said. “I think it would pass overwhelmingly.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/lindsey-graham-dreamers-bill-immigration-232017

Wilsongt

, a 17-year-old student used a Q&A session to grill Kellyanne Conway on how she justified staying on as Donald Trump‘s campaign manager after the “grab ’em by the pussy” tapes leaked. Recall that after that, he denied ever assaulting any women and a slew of women came forward with allegations that he did, in fact, assault them.

According to reports, Conway scolded Laanstra-Corn, who was attending an event sponsored by UVA’s Center for Politics with her high school’s AP government class. Conway said, “For you to use sexual assault to try to make news here I think is unfortunate, but it also doesn’t matter because Donald Trump promised he’ll be a president of all Americans.”

http://www.mediaite.com/online/conw...with-question-about-trump-and-sexual-assault/

Someone just needs to punch this woman in her taint.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Doesn't require a problem with general intelligence. Critical analysis is a skill that most people don't need in their day-to-day lives, except when it comes to politics. People tend to be bad at things they don't need to be good at.

In the era of big data, the analysis capabilities will take time to develop, and without those, people tend to fall back into confirmation bias because they have the data to prove anything they want to.

I think it's just a thing of - run charismatic candidates. Period. Nerds can't win.

Or find charismatic nerds like Obama, :D

Is McCaskill actually liked in Missouri? I know she won twice but once was in 2006 and the other was against a garbo candidate who sank himself.

If not then she should step away and Kander should run for her seat in two years.

I like her. My friends and family like her. But nowadays who the fuck knows? "Polls don't mean shit."

Retraining isn't just the path to new industry jobs though.

The jobs that will remain even in a declining manufacturing sector will be those of higher skill that aren't routine.

destroying.jobs_.chart2x910.jpg

What's the y axis?

My respect level just went through the roof. That means she is trying to get progressive policies enacted, rather than be complacent in merely holding power.
Y axis is Manu Emp over all nonfarm Emp.

And Pelosi has been consistently one of the more liberal members of congress anyway.

I can understand the impulse to get rid of Pelosi from a symbolic perspective. I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

However, it's not her fault that the House has gone Republican. Blame the voters who didn't turn out for that. The fickle left. Left-leaning millennials who can't be bothered to vote.

Imagine if all the people who couldn't be assed to vote for the top of the ticket at least came for the local and state elections. It's nice to dream.

Odrion

Banned
As far as I can tell, lots of Bernie supporters use "progressive" to mean "white, male, and class-oriented."

So you can see the problem with Pelosi!
KOUSA5b.gif

the biggest thing the bernie supporters are doing right now is pushing for a black muslim for dnc chairman so you take your bernie bro stereotyping bullshit it and keep it to yourself

edit: the guy you tried to label as a bernie bro isn't even a bernie supporter. toe to tip, this is a shit post.

kirblar

Trump never won an election. Clinton and Romney were nominees that had lost a primary as their most recent participation in an election.
Trump never lost an election either.

GOP nominees are typically the runner up from the past cycle, though there are exceptions when that person doesn't exist. You straight up can't lose two in a row locally and convince people you should be the nom for Pres.

Bernie supporters are blindly following marching orders because it's a cult of personality.

numble

Trump never lost an election either.

GOP nominees are typically the runner up from the past cycle, though there are exceptions when that person doesn't exist. You straight up can't lose two in a row locally and convince people you should be the nom for Pres.

Bernie supporters are blindly following marching orders because it's a cult of personality.

How did Kander lose two in a row locally?

Obama also lost a Congressional election but basically ran unopposed for his Senate seat because Jack Ryan withdrew after winning the primary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom