• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
1o8rrx.png

Don't you tease us Joe.

Joe would have beaten Trump.

pigeon

Banned
Tossing this in here since I imagine its of interest to this thread:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/o...-cast-my-electoral-vote-for-donald-trump.html

Basically, Republican elector has decided he won't vote for Trump, and unlike another recent example, won't chicken out either - he'll cast it for someone else.

MCMULLINMENTUM

IT HAS TO BE

The odds are probably about 0% that this comes to anything but hey, 0% odds are paying off pretty well this year.

However the GOP has majorities in 30 of 50 state delegations, so it will almost certainly come to nothing anyway.

kirblar

MCMULLINMENTUM

IT HAS TO BE

The odds are probably about 0% that this comes to anything but hey, 0% odds are paying off pretty well this year.

However the GOP has majorities in 30 of 50 state delegations, so it will almost certainly come to nothing anyway.
per Politico, it's Kasich Club.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Tossing this in here since I imagine its of interest to this thread:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/o...-cast-my-electoral-vote-for-donald-trump.html

Basically, Republican elector has decided he won't vote for Trump, and unlike another recent example, won't chicken out either - he'll cast it for someone else.
Yawn. Tossing his vote at someone like Kasich does nothing but absolve his conscience while doing absolutely jackshit to do anything in real life. Like all the anti-Trump folks in Utah who voted McMullin, actively choosing not to take the action that would best deny the office to the person they hate.

This is just masturbation.

pigeon

Banned
per Politico, it's Kasich Club.

Eh. For solidarity reasons I can't support Kasich given his hardline pro-life stance. He is certainly better than Trump on many issues, though, including not wanting to genocide us or start a nuclear war, so that part is good.

Dan

I'm not sure how I feel about Democrats somehow giving Kasich the presidency. Maybe in the short term that's better than Trump, but it feels like it'd be terrible for the party, and consequently America, in the longer term.

I'm not sure how I feel about Democrats somehow giving Kasich the presidency. Maybe in the short term that's better than Trump, but it feels like it'd be terrible for the party in the longer term.

It's better for the country even if it's not good for the party.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I'm not sure how I feel about Democrats somehow giving Kasich the presidency. Maybe in the short term that's better than Trump, but it feels like it'd be terrible for the party, and consequently America, in the longer term.

Trump is a near guarantee for long term harm than kasich could ever do.

I guess...

It'd be like Democrats straight up dying for Republicans' sins. Without a god to bring them back to life.

Doesn't matter.

We asked Republicans to put country over party and vote for Clinton over Trump.

When it's our term to put country over party, I would hope we'd do the same.

FyreWulff

between Trump and Kasich, at least Kasich knows he'd better off maintain stability than trying to cram his ego into international relations.

I'd prefer Kasich to Trump, no doubt. He's a pretty solid moderate, so his SC picks wouldn't be lunatics, foreign policy would be status quo and he wouldn't go for Ryan's far right agenda on Medicare and things of that type.

Still a lot of bad, but what can you do.

pigeon

Banned
Doesn't matter.

This is a good argument, but I would actually be afraid of liberal complacency if this worked. Kasich would probably actually be worse on reproductive rights than Trump. We would need to stay vigilant and activated to defeat him and stymy his efforts. I worry that replacing Trump would just enable us to forget that America just elected Idiot Hitler along with two GOP houses of Congress,

Also this is all fantasy anyway

Dan

Doesn't matter.

between Trump and Kasich, at least Kasich knows he'd better off maintain stability than trying to cram his ego into international relations.
I suppose I would have to fall on that side, but damn it feels bad.

Totakeke

Even if the plan from the rogue electors work out, it would have to be Mike Pence as acting president wouldn't it?

I personally don't mind that, anything is better than Trump.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
WTF does Ben Carson know about housing and urban development?
All kinds of nothing!
His life!

NPR said:
MARTIN: Well then let me ask you to flesh out some of Dr. Carson's resume. We, of course, know about his medical career, very successful surgeon. But what in his background prepares him for this particular post?

WILLIAMS: His life growing up in subsidized housing, growing up in poor communities, understanding what happens, that you can go into the communities and build houses all you want. In 10 years they could disappear if you don't have jobs and if you have the skills to take those jobs, if you know that opportunities to create jobs in those communities, he understands that vocational and technical skills are very important. And he also understands that a lot of people who may have an opportunity for these jobs, they have felony records. They have - they don't pass drug tests. And there are a lot of things that we just don't talk about enough that keep people from taking opportunities. And to Dr. Carson's understanding of education through the Carson scholarship, and he understands of how health is involved and - including mental health with people and opportunities and their self-esteem because they feel they lack opportunities.

His medical career has given him an extreme foundation. And also he's never been disconnected from these inner cities and these people who live these lives. Dr. Carson may have aspired to become a world-renowned pediatric surgeon and a presidential candidate, but he's never lost the human touch with people. And so when you have those kind of experiences and people that advise you and remind you and talk about issues and what works, he brings that experience with him to this position.
http://www.npr.org/2016/12/05/50442...son-to-run-hud-his-life-says-longtime-adviser

I've been noticing that A LOT of "libertarians" voted for Trump. Which is funny considering that he's authoritarian. I've been kinda rubbing it in old people's faces that we can finally get rid of social security and medicare (while secretly and internally hoping for UBI some day) but now I can finally rub it in libertarian's faces that libertarianism is finally dead.

kirblar

I've been noticing that A LOT of "libertarians" voted for Trump. Which is funny considering that he's authoritarian. I've been kinda rubbing it in old people's faces that we can finally get rid of social security and medicare (while secretly and internally hoping for UBI some day) but now I can finally rub it in libertarian's faces that libertarianism is finally dead.
That's because "libertarians" vote with their wallets.

I can't. They actually chose him because he used to live in the public housing. If they are actually sinking low enough to pick him, I have to imagine they are running out of people they actually want for posts.

lol

Senate Democrats Have One Shot At Saving SCOTUS - Will They?

On January 3, 2017, Democrats will hold the majority in the Senate for a few minutes, until the newly-elected Senators are sworn in. Biden could convene the Senate in those few minutes and call for a vote. The majority could then suspend the rules and vote in Merrick Garland.

The key here is that VP Biden would have to be willing to convene the Senate and recognize Senator Dick Durbin instead of Mitch McConnell. Durbin moves to re-nominate Garland, and Senate Democrats then vote to confirm him. They will have a quorum for those few minutes.

It's bold. Garland would be confirmed by 34 Democrats and no Republicans.

This was my first reaction but then you remember that Republicans shut down the government and won the next two elections and I think I'd like to see Democrats have a spine here.

Yeah, I'm kind of at the point where I'd like to see the dems start to exploit the rules, considering the GOP has more or less built a platform out of doing exactly that.

Reality check

- Joe Biden isn't running in 2020
- The electoral college will select Donald Trump
- Garland will never be in the SC
- Podesta has a sex dungeon in his basement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom