• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breaking precedent here deserves an unprecedented response

Allowing garland to not be confirmed basically means we have a new rule where if the opposing party controls the senate the POTUS doesn't get to appoint a Scotus

Like I'm not saying we will win the senate in 2018.. but if we did and there was a new opening no way anyone gets a hearing if there's an opening afterwards. And then that period of time could be extended for four years or more after. This kills the Scotus

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's not going to happen because good things don't happen anymore and hope is a luxury that I can no longer afford. 😪

Btw, can anyone link me to some resources on how to get into political activism? I feel like I can no longer afford to sit on my ass when it comes to the future of my country.

Decide what issues you care about the most, find organizations that cater to those issues and volunteer. Go to the local party and volunteer. Find a candidate, at any level, you like and volunteer for their campaign. Everyone's always looking for more volunteers.

Geist-

Decide what issues you care about the most, find organizations that cater to those issues and volunteer. Go to the local party and volunteer. Find a candidate, at any level, you like and volunteer for their campaign. Everyone's always looking for more volunteers.

So to volunteer for the local Dem Party, I find their local office and ask to volunteer? Or do they have a website I apply to?

pigeon

Banned
I can't. They actually chose him because he used to live in the public housing. If they are actually sinking low enough to pick him, I have to imagine they are running out of people they actually want for posts.

He didn't. This turned out to be another lie.

Yeah, I'm down for Democrats gaming the system. We're only having to do this because Republicans gamed the system themselves, even ignoring that the people did not agree with them that Obama should not be able to appoint a Justice.

Would anyone even really care? Like, honestly? I think in the long run, most Americans would look at the appointment as a positive thing, as something done to circumvent a negative thing that the Republicans were doing.

Would anyone even really care? Like, honestly? I think in the long run, most Americans would look at the appointment as a positive thing, as something done to circumvent a negative thing that the Republicans were doing.
They won't and clearly don't care

President trump will be too much of a distraction himself for people to care about a Scotus appointment. Honestly there are so many people out there who don't even really know what they even do

Dems need to just do it and see if the voters actually care rather than being afraid of repercussion.

Act like they have a mandate even when they don't. Just argue republicans waived the right to consent and go for it. Republicans managed to block so much of a hearing for a Scotus just because they made up a rule. Dems should just respond and make up a rule in return saying they don't have a right to do that without this sort of fuckery

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
If there's an opening to add Garland, take it. No regrets. Republicans 100% abdicated their constitutional role here.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If there's an opening to add Garland, take it. No regrets. Republicans 100% abdicated their constitutional role here.

No doubt, their argument is moot since they have not bothered to have a single hearing for over 6 months.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

If anything, it would give the other half of the country that didn't vote for Trump a signal to "hang in there".

Republicans would bitch about it for years, but it's not like they haven't already been complaining about Emperor Obama his whole time in office, and they'll continue to complain about him long after he leaves anyway.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Why would there even be a majority of Democrats, even for a few minutes exactly?

But assuming this is even remotely possible, I'd say Dems should definitely do it. The Republicans denied a sitting president his right to appoint a Supreme Court justice. If they're allowed to fuck with him, he should be more than allowed to fuck with them.

I mean, what are they going to do? Seriously. They're going to blow up the country regardless.

Seriously, I'm not sure why we're indulging in these wish-fulfillment fantasies.

Republicans blocked a SCOTUS for an entire year without even holding a hearing shattering literally every precedent involved in it and now have a chance to appoint whoever they want with Donald Fucking Trump as President.

Why exactly are they the only ones whose base gets what they want? Maybe that's why they win elections. They actually try stuff and use the system to whatever advantage they can.

Like literally.. they made up a rule and called it the Joe Biden rule as a reason as to why they didn't have to do what the constitution mandates them to do. They left it up to the voters to see if they would actually care if they did that and turns out they didn't. So I see no reason as to why they should not be doing everything in their power to attempt it.

Lois_Lane

Republicans blocked a SCOTUS for an entire year without even holding a hearing shattering literally every precedent involved in it and now have a chance to appoint whoever they want with Donald Fucking Trump as President.

Why exactly are they the only ones whose base gets what they want? Maybe that's why they win elections. They actually try stuff and use the system to whatever advantage they can.

Like literally.. they made up a rule and called it the Joe Biden rule as a reason as to why they didn't have to do what the constitution mandates them to do. They left it up to the voters to see if they would actually care if they did that and turns out they didn't. So I see no reason as to why they should not be doing everything in their power to attempt it.

<3

Mike M

Nick N

And yet it's still not going to happen.

And yet it's still not going to happen.

Then the party will continue to suffer losses and even if they regain control will get outplayed and be a step behind Republicans at every corner.

Democrats owe it to all of their voters for fucking them in the worst possible way. Every single one of them is partly responsible for the fact that we are about to get Donald fucking Trump with both houses of congress with an open scotus seat. Fuck them all if they squander the little time they have left and don't even attempt anything in the next month.

Mike M

Nick N
Then the party will continue to suffer losses and even if they regain control will get outplayed and be a step behind Republicans at every corner.

Democrats owe it to all of their voters for fucking them in the worst possible way. Every single one of them is partly responsible for the fact that we are about to get Donald fucking Trump with both houses of congress with an open scotus seat. Fuck them all if they squander the little time they have left and don't even attempt anything in the next month.
Or maybe they see the pitfalls of both parties actively hollowing out the mechanisms of government for spite.

Oblivion

Or maybe they see the pitfalls of both parties actively hollowing out the mechanisms of government for spite.

Except that one party has already decided to strap a suicide vest. Whether the other does or not doesn't matter since there's already going to be massive damage anyway.

royalan

The Republicans are doing it out of spite.

Democrats are doing it to protect Democracy as we know it.

This wasn't a normal election. Republicans have become a fascist, white supremacist party. We haven't seen anything like this since the 30s, and certainly not in this country. Democrats need to use whatever tools at their disposal to oppose it.

You don't treat the abnormal as though it's normal.

Ryuuroden

Quite the irony that the democratic party in order to preserve the democratic process by not resorting to cheap tricks has enabled the erosion of the democratic process by republicans acting unchallenged. Just putting that out there.

Mike M

Nick N
The Republicans are doing it out of spite.

Democrats are doing it to protect Democracy as we know it.

Democrats are doing what, exactly?

This wasn't a normal election. Republicans have become a fascist, white supremacist party. We haven't seen anything like this since the 30s, and certainly not in this country. Democrats need to use whatever tools at their disposal to oppose it.

You don't treat the abnormal as though it's normal.

Never claimed otherwise, I just don't think the consequences of escalation should be so casually dismissed when the very first thing being proposed is stoking a constitutional crisis on the eve on a new administration.

JP_

Banned
Normally, Garland would have been given a hearing and confirmed, considering his clear cross party appeal. GOP made things abnormal. Wouldn't this restore some normality?

Then, looking forward. Trump is certainly going to make things even less normal and further contribute to the breakdown of democracy. Wouldn't having Garland in the supreme court acting as a check on that help keep things normal moving forward?

Personally I think dems need to test the waters with playing hardball and this seems like a fine opportunity. See how the public reacts -- there's a chance it could play well, especially if they create solid messaging around it. But political stunts don't seem to hurt parties so the risks are probably pretty low. Republicans sabotaged the economy by threatening multiple government shutdowns and broke the supreme court and look how that turned out for them.

With all that being said I won't hold my breath.

Normally, Garland would have been given a hearing and confirmed, considering his clear cross party appeal. GOP made things abnormal. Wouldn't this restore some normality?

Then, looking forward. Trump is certainly going to make things even less normal and further contribute to the breakdown of democracy. Wouldn't having Garland in the supreme court acting as a check on that help keep things normal moving forward?

Personally I think dems need to test the waters with playing hardball and this seems like a fine opportunity. See how the public reacts -- there's a chance it could play well, especially if they create solid messaging around it. But political stunts don't seem to hurt parties so the risks are probably pretty low. Republicans sabotaged the economy by threatening multiple government shutdowns and broke the supreme court and look how that turned out for them.

With all that being said I won't hold my breath.

It makes too much sense in the grand scheme of things.

Two things that I know Democrats for is that they lack SPINES AND BRAINS. They might as well be amoebas at this point.

royalan

Never claimed otherwise, I just don't think the consequences of escalation should be so casually dismissed when the very first thing being proposed is stoking a constitutional crisis on the eve on a new administration.

Because Lord knows Republicans cared about that when they threatened to shut down the government.

Oh, and failed to hold a hearing for Obama's Supreme Court pick.

Oblivion

The thing that sucks is that even if senate dems had the cajones to do such a maneuver, Obummer himself would be the one to put the kibosh on it. He cares way too much about governmental "traditions" and cross-party "comity".

Nevermind that senate Republicans shat on such "traditions" when it came to his SC nominee...

royalan

The thing that sucks is that even if senate dems had the cajones to do such a maneuver, Obummer himself would be the one to put the kibosh on it. He cares way too much about governmental "traditions" and cross-party "comity".

Nevermind that senate Republicans shat on such "traditions" when it came to his SC nominee...

Not just his nominee, his entire presidency.

There's nothing casual here. This is not normal and something needs to be done. This is a constitutional crisis already allowing the senate to basically say "if the political party in control of the senate is the opposite of the president no Supreme Court justices can get appointed"

That's the new rule now if this stands.

Oblivion

So ignoring for a sec whether the Dems will even consider such a thing, legally speaking, how solid is the foundation?

Maengun1

This thing of "Trump's trying to ~*DISTRACT*~ us!! Don't fall for it!!" every time he says/tweets anything has already become a huge peeve of mine. I get that people still don't know how to handle this all (me included) but still.

For one thing, I don't and never will buy that he or his team actually plan anything, so I really don't think it's worth it to search for strategy.

He does 50 different terrible things a day, and he's not even in power yet. We have to be able to register it all, as shitty as it is. Yes his cabinet appointments suck, everything he does as pres will suck, but I don't think anyone should brush off things like multiple random twitter attacks on China in a day or demanding that SNL not make fun of him (or that Hamilton actors should not even address his administration) as distractions. That stuff is all also news and really scary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom