• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

geomon

Or, we could note that 73.5% of eligible voters did not vote for Hillary Clinton when offered the opportunity.

I think I just got whiplash from that spin. You do realize that only means that even less people than that voted for Trump? You just proved his/her point.

benjipwns

Banned
As much as you might prefer it, we can't make none of the above president.
640px-Bundesrat_der_Schweiz_2008_Teil_1.JPG

According to the YouGov poll: Among people that voted for Clinton in the GE, Sanders has higher favorability than Clinton. Same is true for the other two groups of voters of course. But I'd also suggest that ignoring the millions of people that don't often vote (often because they find the political establishment incredibly unappealing) is a mistake. Sanders failed to create the political revolution he talked about in this one cycle, but it's naive to think that proves it could never arrive. Poligaf likes to frame it like he went into this thing on equal grounds, but he demolished everyone's expectations.

He can have a participation trophy :p

And again, such a poll is based on certain things to guarantee that you aren't sampling Hillary voters in MS (who would likely be hardcore for her) and Hillary voters in VT (who probably weren't). I was very much in favor of these polls before the election (I teach statistics at a university), but after the terrible misses this year, I'm going to table polling in favor of actual results. The results are correct to the tune of 99.99999% accuracy. I would've said the polls were highly accurate before, but they clearly aren't now.

If you're into evidence-based studies, and you get a result that you 100% know isn't a calculating error or problem with your experiment but severely disagrees with your predictive model, then you have to hit the drawing board again before you'll be taken very seriously. That hasn't happened yet in the stats world, and until it does, I'm going to stick to the actual results of the election.

Bernie Sanders was less appealing to minorities than Hillary Clinton, but more appealing to young voters.
Donald Trump was more appealing to white working class voters, specifically in rural parts of Mid-Western states, while also less appealing to traditional Republican voters in typical red states.

If you're all in for Sanders-type candidates, you have to process those results specifically. If you're all in for Hillary-type candidates, then you have to process those results specifically. And the second case, I'd argue that an over-reliance on polling led to this electoral loss (since her strategy 100% counted on places like WI, MI, and PA being safe while states like GA, AZ, and OH were close. All of the polls pointed to this, and none of them were particularly close.)

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Sounds like something may happen with the white house press conference happening today?

Because this was posted
David Yankovich ‏@DavidYankovich 6m6 minutes ago
I suggest watching White House press conferences this week, & Trump's Twitter response. Smooth transition isn't happening.

David Yankovich ‏@DavidYankovich 2h2 hours ago
It seems that this entire week has been leading up to this. CIA leaks, WH getting more vocal, Trump not acknowledging Russian interference.

David Yankovich
‏@DavidYankovich
From what I am hearing, @POTUS has determined that orderly transition cannot be accomplished and is no longer priority due to Trump/Russia.

Could be something here.

JP_

Banned
He can have a participation trophy :p

And again, such a poll is based on certain things to guarantee that you aren't sampling Hillary voters in MS (who would likely be hardcore for her) and Hillary voters in VT (who probably weren't). I was very much in favor of these polls before the election (I teach statistics at a university), but after the terrible misses this year, I'm going to table polling in favor of actual results. The results are correct to the tune of 99.99999% accuracy. I would've said the polls were highly accurate before, but they clearly aren't now.

If you're into evidence-based studies, and you get a result that you 100% know isn't a calculating error or problem with your experiment but severely disagrees with your predictive model, then you have to hit the drawing board again before you'll be taken very seriously. That hasn't happened yet in the stats world, and until it does, I'm going to stick to the actual results of the election.

Bernie Sanders was less appealing to minorities than Hillary Clinton, but more appealing to young voters.
Donald Trump was more appealing to white working class voters, specifically in rural parts of Mid-Western states, while also less appealing to traditional Republican voters in typical red states.

If you're all in for Sanders-type candidates, you have to process those results specifically. If you're all in for Hillary-type candidates, then you have to process those results specifically. And the second case, I'd argue that an over-reliance on polling led to this electoral loss (since her strategy 100% counted on places like WI, MI, and PA being safe while states like GA, AZ, and OH were close. All of the polls pointed to this, and none of them were particularly close.)
Vote counts in the 2016 Democratic primary are only accurate for the 2016 Democratic primary. But you're right, for the 2016 Democratic primary, the results were very close to the results....

Edit: side note, but the polls weren't off by that much. For the most part the results fell within the margin of error. People basically read them wrong, even the campaigns. The lesson to take away is that 30% chance to win is not that unlikely -- it's actually 30%. We treated it like 0%.

Nate silver 4 days before election (before FBI letter could percolate polls):

All of this is to say that even if Clinton’s lead over Trump doesn’t shrink anymore, Trump might still win. He would need only a normal-sized polling error

Edit2: and here's what he was saying 2 days before: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...the-polls-clinton-leads-but-its-a-close-race/

benjipwns

Banned
That guy also tweeted:
I don't either.

Yet...
EC meets Monday.
Massive news breaking all over today.
Harsh words at WH press conf.
Trump arguing about Russia.
Clearly it's about the Switch. Obama is resigning early to get a spot in front of Best Buy.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
all he's saying is that the Obama admin has come to the conclusion that the transition won't be orderly.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

giphy.gif

(this isn't news or analysis, this is obvious.)

geomon

G.O.P. Plans to Replace Health Care Law With ‘Universal Access’

House Republicans, responding to criticism that repealing the Affordable Care Act would leave millions without health insurance, said on Thursday that their goal in replacing President Obama’s health law was to guarantee “universal access” to health care and coverage, not necessarily to ensure that everyone actually has insurance.

In defending the Affordable Care Act, the Obama administration, congressional Democrats and advocacy groups have focused on the 20 million people covered by the law, which has pushed the percentage of Americans without health insurance to record lows. The American Medical Association recently said that “any new reform proposal should not cause individuals currently covered to become uninsured.”

But House Republicans, preparing for a rapid legislative strike on the law next month, emphasize a different measure of success.

“Our goal here is to make sure that everybody can buy coverage or find coverage if they choose to,” a House leadership aide told journalists on the condition of anonymity at a health care briefing organized by Republican leaders.

So basically, go back to pre ACA healthcare conditions. Welp, it's what we expected but it's good that they've now made their intentions clear about it.

“There’s a lot of scare tactics out there on this,” said Representative Kevin Brady, Republican of Texas and chairman of the Ways and Means Committee. “We can reassure the American public that the plan they are in right now, the Obamacare plans, will not end on Jan. 20,” the day Donald J. Trump will be inaugurated.

Well of course they won't end on January 20th, 2017. I'd say give it a year before 20 million people are kicked to the curb and another year after that for it to finally settle into the tiny little minds of the Trump supporters who get fucked over or lose a loved one because they lost their insurance coverage.

Your friends are right.

Actually, you, and his friends are wrong. The abolish electoral college movement has been a thing for Democrats since the year 2000. Many left states have in fact signed a pact to sign on to awarding their electoral votes to the popular vote winner. Once the amount of states that agree to this pact reaches 270, it will take effect.

Red state voters never fucking learn though. Endless tax cuts make too much sense for bumper sticker politics, and they're all too eager to just scapegoat welfare queens or immigrants when times is tough.

Or they're too caught up caring about unborn fetuses to ever want to vote for a Democrat. That's why progressive ballot measures usually pass in states that will always vote down those baby-killing DemocRATs.

(I don't THINK most people would admit to being one-issue voters and could probably express opinions on several, but I think what happens is they latch onto one seemingly obvious pet issue, go to whichever party supports their view and hock the party line on everything else. I mean if you're already against abortion and gay marriage, who are you going to trust on the economy? Those baby-killing homosexuals? Becomes sort of an issue of blind faith)

Pixieking

Banned
Red state voters never fucking learn though. Endless tax cuts make too much sense for bumper sticker politics, and they're all too eager to just scapegoat welfare queens or immigrants when times is tough.

Or they're too caught up caring about unborn fetuses to ever want to vote for a Democrat. That's why progressive ballot measures usually pass in states that will always vote down those baby-killing DemocRATs.

(I don't THINK most people would admit to being one-issue voters and could probably express opinions on several, but I think what happens is they latch onto one seemingly obvious pet issue, go to whichever party supports their view and hock the party line on everything else. I mean if you're already against abortion and gay marriage, who are you going to trust on the economy? Those baby-killing homosexuals? Becomes sort of an issue of blind faith)

I've always gone with an alternative line of thinking about Red State voters - that they prioritise a single issue (or maybe two issues) more than any other, and genuinely don't care about the rest. It would explain why "Christians" overwhelmingly backed an administration that is the modern equivalent of merchants and money-changers in the "temple" of the White House. As long as women can't get abortions, who cares about anything else? Sexual assault, racism, unpaid contractors, nepotism, corruption - all these are worth less than an anti-abortion policy, and the Religious Right don't give a damn about any of them.

Realistically, though, I think Red State voters are a combination of my view, your view, and a third group of the politically naive.

I've always gone with an alternative line of thinking about Red State voters - that they prioritise a single issue (or maybe two issues) more than any other, and genuinely don't care about the rest. It would explain why "Christians" overwhelmingly backed an administration that is the modern equivalent of merchants and money-changers in the "temple" of the White House. As long as women can't get abortions, who cares about anything else? Sexual assault, racism, unpaid contractors, nepotism, corruption - all these are worth less than an anti-abortion policy, and the Religious Right don't give a damn about any of them.

Realistically, though, I think Red State voters are a combination of my view, your view, and a third group of the politically naive.
I mean I'll agree most people don't care about most issues (I think this goes well beyond Republican voters), but they won't admit it. So they just parrot whatever Trump or Sanders or Clinton say and pretend they're informed.

Pixieking

Banned
I mean I'll agree most people don't care about most issues (I think this goes well beyond Republican voters), but they won't admit it. So they just parrot whatever Trump or Sanders or Clinton say and pretend they're informed.

Fair.

Interesting piece this, though preaching to the converted posting it here?

Charlie Sykes on Where the Right Went Wrong

For many listeners, nothing was worse than Hillary Clinton. Two decades of vilification had taken their toll: Listeners whom I knew to be decent, thoughtful individuals began forwarding stories with conspiracy theories about President Obama and Mrs. Clinton — that he was a secret Muslim, that she ran a child sex ring out of a pizza parlor. When I tried to point out that such stories were demonstrably false, they generally refused to accept evidence that came from outside their bubble. The echo chamber had morphed into a full-blown alternate reality silo of conspiracy theories, fake news and propaganda.

And this is where it became painful. Even among Republicans who had no illusions about Mr. Trump’s character or judgment, the demands of that tribal loyalty took precedence. To resist was an act of betrayal.

benjipwns

Banned
It's only a potential problem if you assume the system is supposed to operate in a completely different way from how it is designed.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
They spent $3 million on consultants for the slogan and this was the rest of the list they got:
tQCgbdV.jpg

"For America.
For Families.
For You."

Better than the crap on that list. Where is my $3 million?

benjipwns

Banned
"For America.
For Families.
For You."

Better than the crap on that list. Where is my $3 million?
Needs "stronger" in there, she needs to look tough. Also, "fairness" because you don't specify which families. And what is this "for" how about working progress in there somewhere? And we need to punch up the importance of this election in particular.

Stronger For America, Progress For Families, Fairness For You, This Time, It Begins Together

Looking back, the problem with "I'm With Her" is it tried to make a personality cult out of someone who frankly isn't that personable on the trail. She's supposedly far more charismatic in private, but voters are never going to see that.

dramatis

I would like to point out that the election is over.

Speculating about the Obama conference today would be more useful than obsessing over Hillary Clinton, again.

that would have been a terrible slogan for hillary
Probably what the Rust Belt voters perceived her slogan as. Go back to bed. Do your homework. Stop picking your nose.

It's like America is the child of a broken family where your mom is well-meaning but stern, so Weekend Dad looks better by comparison, even though he doesn't have a real job, does a lot of cocaine, blows all his money and makes frequent passes at your older sister.

Wilsongt

1h
Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump
Are we talking about the same cyberattack where it was revealed that head of the DNC illegally gave Hillary the questions to the debate?

Touche, toupe

Chumly

1h
Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump
Are we talking about the same cyberattack where it was revealed that head of the DNC illegally gave Hillary the questions to the debate?

Touche, toupe
The ironic part about this is trump also fucking received questions ahead of the debate. He got Megan Kelly's question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom