• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

HERSHEY, Pa. (AP) — Donald Trump's barnstorming tour across the states that won him the White House continues to feature far more taunts of triumph than notes of healing after a bruising election.

Thursday's rally in Hershey, Pennsylvania, found the president-elect calling for the mostly white crowd to cheer for African-Americans who were "smart" to heed his message and therefore "didn't come out to vote" for his Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton.

"That was the big thing, so thank you to the African-American community," Trump said.

This burnt sienna mother fucker...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Needs "stronger" in there, she needs to look tough. Also, "fairness" because you don't specify which families. And what is this "for" how about working progress in there somewhere? And we need to punch up the importance of this election in particular.

Stronger For America, Progress For Families, Fairness For You, This Time, It Begins Together

Those are more or less in the list already. But also, pretty bad, since you suggested it as one slogan with three sentences.

LOL that was the joke. They are all ridiculous. Cramming them together makes it worse.

dramatis

People whine about the media taking the bait all the time now, but we aren't acting any different.

So stop taking the bait. Not only in terms of Trump and the news, but in this thread.

Heh.
So the impending bonanza for businesses and banks has sent the dollar's value soaring.
Now all this shit I buy from Japan has gotten 20% cheaper in less than two months.
Sucks for, I dunno, the manufacturing sector and exporters in general tho.

People whine about the media taking the bait all the time now, but we aren't acting any different.

So stop taking the bait. Not only in terms of Trump and the news, but in this thread.
Also people here have to filter what they read

If it's on huff post, and ONLY on huff post, probably should think twice about posting it

geomon

Trump thanks black voters who 'didn’t come out to vote for Hillary'

President-elect Donald Trump on Thursday thanked black voters for not coming out to vote for Hillary Clinton on Election Day.

During a stop on his “thank you” tour in Hershey, Pa., Trump credited his strategy of asking black people “what the hell do you have to lose” by supporting him.

“And you know what else?” he said. “They didn’t come out to vote for Hillary. They didn’t come out. So thank you to the African American community.”
“Thank you to the Hispanic community,” he added.

At another rally last week, Trump similarly touted that it was good for him that black voters didn't turn out at the polls.

"If they had any doubt, they didn't vote, and that was almost as good, because a lot of people didn't show up, because they felt good about me,” he said.

tenor.gif

Holy fucking christ am I pissed off. I'm shaking. I told them, anyone who would listen, not voting was a vote for Trump and now this fucking goblin just admitted it with glee. Installing a punching bad in my home might be the best investment I make over the next 4 years if not longer, FUCK!

tenor.gif

Holy fucking christ am I pissed off. I'm shaking. I told them, anyone who would listen, not voting was a vote for Trump and now this fucking goblin just admitted it with glee. Installing a punching bad in my home might be the best investment I make over the next 4 years if not longer, FUCK!

But she wasn't an exciting candidate. Etc.

Seriously thanks folks who can't see the big picture and said "fuck it I'm not voting at all or 3rd party to protest because my ideal candidate was not in the running." Basically the same thing with Brexit from what I understand. You people are the worst.

And before you say "pick a better candidate" know this: Republicans said the same thing but they still voted Trump in almost the same degree as Romney and McCain. Republicans recognize its most important to them that a Republican is in office, regardless of who it is. On the left it appears we are a bunch of petulant children who rather avoid voting for the nominee of the only party that has a chance of winning that hues closely to their beliefs and ideals or avoid voting at all because their ideal candidate wasnt nominated.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've always gone with an alternative line of thinking about Red State voters - that they prioritise a single issue (or maybe two issues) more than any other, and genuinely don't care about the rest. It would explain why "Christians" overwhelmingly backed an administration that is the modern equivalent of merchants and money-changers in the "temple" of the White House. As long as women can't get abortions, who cares about anything else? Sexual assault, racism, unpaid contractors, nepotism, corruption - all these are worth less than an anti-abortion policy, and the Religious Right don't give a damn about any of them.

Realistically, though, I think Red State voters are a combination of my view, your view, and a third group of the politically naive.

Which brings us full circle back to What's The Matter With Kansas which opens with by talking about exactly how the GOP realized that they could weaponize abortion as an intractable wedge issue

Pixieking

Banned
Trump antagonizing people like this. Someone is going to get fed up with it all and do something really stupid out of fear and frustration.

I can see Trump's SS detail (not Bannon, the other SS - Secret Service) being overworked from the Inauguration on. Trump's like a kid who just keeps on poking you - eventually, people just want the poking to fucking stop.

Which brings us full circle back to What's The Matter With Kansas which opens with by talking about exactly how the GOP realized that they could weaponize abortion as an intractable wedge issue

I really need to read this... I think it'll be very instructive.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
(btw the slogan that did make it out of that list was [Stronger Together]. #ImWithHer was the twitter hashtag that made it out into IRL.

You can see on that list that they were super stuck on the idea of a multi-cultural coalition ('fairness for all' and 'together' in everything) but also on the counter-intuitive idea of 'strength' to push back on sexism.

Just kinda funny how things work out.

benjipwns

Banned
This burnt sienna mother fucker...

tenor.gif

Didn't he say this last week?

edit: okay, four days ago and there was a thread on it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324269

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
btw my absolute F A V O R I T E post-election narrative is that we shouldn't blame X community for not turning out in greater numbers because reasons.

I can see Trump's SS detail (not Bannon, the other SS - Secret Service) being overworked from the Inauguration on. Trump's like a kid who just keeps on poking you - eventually, people just want the poking to fucking stop.

You can only antagonize desperate, scared people for so long before they snap.

An assassination attempt would be awful for this country. It could very well be the catalyst to the start of a second civil war. Tensions are going to be extremely high over the next four years between urban and rural communities.

benjipwns

Banned
Don't blame the geolibertarian and insurrectionary anarchist communities for not turning out because both of them had the stomach flu thanks to unregulated thai food and a dubious home remedy.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I really need to read this... I think it'll be very instructive.

Its very good but its one of those books that can be a bit underwhelming when you first read it because, without much fanfare, its been so quietly influential that most of its ideas have now percolated into standard discussion points on the left

geomon

He did. In Michigan.

Now he is thanking them for staying home in PA. He fully expect him to thank black people in WI and Florida.

Oh I would fucking love that. I would love for this circus peanut looking motherfucker to show up in Miami and thank the hispanics and african americans for not voting. Food trucks and vegetable stands will be empty that day my friends.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
(btw the slogan that did make it out of that list was [Stronger Together]. #ImWithHer was the twitter hashtag that made it out into IRL.

You can see on that list that they were super stuck on the idea of a multi-cultural coalition ('fairness for all' and 'together' in everything) but also on the counter-intuitive idea of 'strength' to push back on sexism.

Just kinda funny how things work out.

Which I still think is getting nowhere near the attention it should be after this election.

chadskin

@Reuters:
BREAKING: China's navy has seized an unmanned, underwater U.S. Navy vehicle in international waters of South China Sea.

welp

What right does China have to seize one of our vessels in international waters

They will claim they suspected it was conducting surveillance of course

@Reuters:
BREAKING: China's navy has seized an unmanned, underwater U.S. Navy vehicle in international waters of South China Sea.

welp

This is how the Trump bubble bursts. China calls his bluff by doing an easy provocation, and Trump either folds and loses credibility, or does something extremely stupid to increase provocation.

It was easy for Trump to criticize Obama for being weak when Iran pulled similar stunts. Let's see how he reacts once he's in office and actually has to act.

My concern is that his ego will prevent him from ever de-escalating a provocation.

dramatis

Why doesn't China just wait till Trump is actually president to do all this shit?
Why should they wait?

Put yourself in China's shoes. A loud guy who isn't even sitting at the table yet walked in and got chummy with a guy you were happy to ignore as long as he didn't speak up. Loud Guy then disrespects you to the whole table. Are you going to wait until he sits down before acting to get some of that respect back? Because once he sits down, he's going to be there for 4 years.

Obama could get on the phone and say, "Hey, if you want to get rid of this guy, you'll have to wait until he's sitting down to push his chair over." But China has to weigh that against regaining respect NOW.

rac

Banned
Why should they wait?

Put yourself in China's shoes. A loud guy who isn't even sitting at the table yet walked in and got chummy with a guy you were happy to ignore as long as he didn't speak up. Loud Guy then disrespects you to the whole table. Are you going to wait until he sits down before acting to get some of that respect back? Because once he sits down, he's going to be there for 4 years.

Obama could get on the phone and say, "Hey, if you want to get rid of this guy, you'll have to wait until he's sitting down to push his chair over." But China has to weigh that against regaining respect NOW.

They want to flip some EC voters.

yeah i guess, its kinda weird that the us is gonna be the aggressors in a lot of these conflicts once trump is in office

seems kinda like at least we're on the same level as all the other irrational leaders of the world

dramatis

There is some rec on the side of my Youtube feed where Sheriff Arpaio is STILL TRYING TO TALK ABOUT THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE.

I can't imagine what other news they are trying to drown out today.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There is some rec on the side of my Youtube feed where Sheriff Arpaio is STILL TRYING TO TALK ABOUT THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE.

I can't imagine what other news they are trying to drown out today.

Maybe that Obama press conference is going to be something.

That or they probably heard someone has something new on the Russian hack, Trump seems to not like any news on that at all.

Vixdean

yeah i guess, its kinda weird that the us is gonna be the aggressors in a lot of these conflicts once trump is in office

seems kinda like at least we're on the same level as all the other irrational leaders of the world

Yeah well, the people have spoken! A calm and measured response to a foreign crisis = weakness. He drew a red line, it doesn't matter if we got exactly what we wanted without firing a single shot, we said we'd go to war!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom