• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe you guys are getting upset over this. It's just some normal words of Christmas celebration, they're not calling Trump a king.

Also merry Christmas everyone.

I can't believe you guys are getting upset over this. It's just some normal words of Christmas celebration, they're not calling Trump a king.

No, they are making an enormous reach trying to say Christmas is also about celebrating a new president. It'd just be nice if conservatives could leave Christmas alone and stop politicizing it. Not too mention the comparison of events surrounding the birth of Jesus Christ and Trump being elected is very cringeworthy. I'm not upset over it. It is just unappealing to me.

royalan

I'm not upset about it.

I'm just pointing out the absolute, undeniable hypocrisy and racism of the Republican party.

Merry Christmas.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not upset about it.

I'm just pointing out the absolute, undeniable hypocrisy and racism of the Republican party.

Merry Christmas.

Same way I feel about Trump's victory lap of rallies. I don't really care, except for the fact that I know if Obama did the exact same thing, he'd be attacked for it at least through the midterms.

mo60

Arizona being marginally in play this cycle was more of a fluke than a trend, I think. Arizona is strongly republican, but Trump had much less support than a generic R would have due to less support from LDS members and much less support from Hispanic voters.

I wouldn't technically call Arizona a strong republican state. It's more like a lean republican state which actually turned into a swing state in this election. Arizona has been slowly turning more democratic in the last decade or so. The last few republican presidential candidates besides trump have all won the state by somewhere between 6.5% and 10.5%.Besides bush 10.5% win in 2004 the state has been a lean republican state or a swing state since 1992. The state is also becoming more democratic compared to the national average like Texas is. I don't expect trump to win the state by more then 5% in the 2020.election if he wins it.

Wilsongt

2016 is going to go down as the most ruthless and notorious serial killer ever.

Celebrities
The United States
the DNC
Hillary Clinton's career
Square-Enix's credibility even more
Hopes
Dreams

mo60

Celebrities
The United States
the DNC
Hillary Clinton's career
Hopes
Dreams

2015 was better with surprise wins by decent political parties especially in Canada. You can add duterte to the list if you want.

studyguy

Celebrities
The United States
the DNC
Hillary Clinton's career
Hopes
Dreams

Sorry but SE just announced Matsuno working on XIV for me. Fucking saved as far as I'm concerned.

Wilsongt

Sorry but SE just announced Matsuno working on XIV for me. Fucking saved as far as I'm concerned.

Only for a small amount and something you have to wait 6 months for, anyway.

I was being factious with the SE talk. Everyone said 15 was a trainwreck, but I like it. It just needed some more exposition for story bits.

Celebrities
The United States
the DNC
Hillary Clinton's career
Hopes
Dreams

Romo's career
Apple's reputation
Jeb's dignity
DC Cinematic Universe
Street Fighter V
Roman Reigns likeability

a lot of ruthless murders this year

kadotsu

Banned
Don't forget what remains in Pandora's Box after everything cataclysmic has escaped it.

Nothing because Kratos snatched it all up in GoW3

studyguy

Only for a small amount and something you have to wait 6 months for, anyway.

I was being factious with the SE talk. Everyone said 15 was a trainwreck, but I like it. It just needed some more exposition for story bits.

They're also fixing parry mechanics in XIV. Literally SE saving my life out here.
XV needed like a lot more work on the story though, I agree. IMPERIALS ABOVE!

I'm disappointed that there haven't been any "the 1000 degree knife challenge demonstrates why Donald Trump won the election" takes.

This is some dumb shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjSheQ7LgJ4

On this part, he looks like he could have given himself major injuries.

https://youtu.be/hjSheQ7LgJ4?t=6m

But this has been the most popular fad on YouTube for the last week.

This mostly feels like a really good way to ruin a knife, tbh. It's not even as visually impressive as the hydraulic press stuff.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not upset about it.

Merry Christmas.
they called Obama a king and emporer too. It's just pejorative when it's a democrat, they gladly welcome republican royalty. Not that they weren't also racist mind you.

What's this?

Russia is talking with the Taliban about giving the Taliban more support against American forces in Afghanistan.

Which is the opposite of how the last Russia-Afghanistan war happened and thus is somewhat interesting historically.

This is gonna go very badly with Trump as president because when Taliban fighters armed by Russia kill Americans in Afghanistan, Trump will be blamed for being super soft on Russia. And then Trump will become extremely hawkish on Russia and then things will go very bad.

This seems like part 5 of the Soviet-Afghan war (that has gone on since 1979) actually.

Part 1: Original coup by Soviet Union to install Communist leader in Afghanistan
Part 2: Resistance by religious fundamentalists in Afghanistan, supported by the U.S.
Part 3: Afghanistan civil war
Part 4: George W. Bush invasion of Afghanistan
Part 5: Russia starts funding Taliban in Afghanistan to oppose U.S. installed regime.

I like how we're in the middle of a war that has gone on for 37 years and has no end within sight for the next decade and now is the time when it's about to get really bad.

Afghan and American officials are increasingly worried that any deepening of ties between Russia and Taliban militants fighting to topple the government in Kabul could complicate an already precarious security situation.

Russian officials have denied they provide aid to the insurgents, who are contesting large swathes of territory and inflicting heavy casualties, and say their limited contacts are aimed at bringing the Taliban to the negotiating table.

Leaders in Kabul say Russian support for the Afghan Taliban appears to be mostly political so far.

But a series of recent meetings they say has taken place in Moscow and Tajikistan has made Afghan intelligence and defence officials nervous about more direct support including weapons or funding.

A senior Afghan security official called Russian support for the Taliban a "dangerous new trend", an analysis echoed by the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, General John Nicholson.

He told reporters at a briefing in Washington last week that Russia had joined Iran and Pakistan as countries with a "malign influence" in Afghanistan, and said Moscow was lending legitimacy to the Taliban.

Russia's ambassador to Kabul, Alexander Mantytskiy, told reporters on Thursday that his government's contacts with the insurgent group were aimed at ensuring the safety of Russian citizens and encouraging peace talks.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-afghanistan-russia-idUSKBN13W2XJ

Russia's official line is that they're siding with the Taliban "against ISIS" but ISIS is a nothing in Afghanistan and ISIS is barely worse than the Taliban. Iran is starting to strongly support the Taliban while India has been condemning Russia for cooperating with the Taliban. It's a situation involving a lot of nuclear states and irrational proxies that seems like it could go so bad so fast.

Ah yes, pushing the boundaries. Gives Iran a buffer, and also puts a Russian influence next to India. Oh, and it undermines our faith in our leadership by making both of our major wars last decade a failure. All around a good move and an easy target.

Watching these horrible YouTube videos lead me to recommendations of libertarians drinking low levels of cyanide in between arguing for the abolition of the state.

Benji gets up to weird shit.

Ah yes, pushing the boundaries. Gives Iran a buffer, and also puts a Russian influence next to India. Oh, and it undermines our faith in our leadership by making both of our major wars last decade a failure. All around a good move and an easy target.

Unless/until Trump decides he needs to throw his weight around against Russia because his favorables will go even shittier after Russia helps kills American soldiers through the Taliban.

That could be the end of the world, but otherwise, solid plan by Puddey.

KingK

My Trump supporting family is smoking weed right now.

This is a really epic example of congeatulationsyouplayedyourself.gif
Not that surprising. The majority of republicans/trump voters I know smoke weed (or much worse shit). They don't mind it being illegal because it always has been here and they haven't had any legal trouble with it yet. They sort of (somewhat correctly) assume that it's just "other (black) people who do it irresponsibly that police care about." Which is especially rich since many of them also drive drunk regularly. Oh but they will bitch and moan like no other whenever they have a drug test at work coming up. Fucking hypocrites.

KingBroly

Banned
Serious question: do campaign ads matter post-Trump, or was Trump getting outspent about a billion-to-one and still winning unique to Trump.

Given the vast amount of difference, I'd say it's pretty damn unique. He spent like 6% of what Clinton did on ads. And in an age where 'money in politics' is questioned, Trump's win kind of gives a big middle finger to the idea of 'you can just spend your problems away.' Candidates have won by spending less before, but they usually don't get outspent by 94%!

It could be the start of a new trend. It could simply be a mass outlier. It's way too early to tell right now.

I'm just happy because it lines up with my college thesis outlining how spending too much money in swing states on ads is a bad thing for voter turnout. And that was only looking at 92, 96, 00 and 04.

Personally I'd like to see an airtime vs money spent as a more useful metric. Trump had a lot of free rallies, uninterrupted on news channels. I don't think ads don't matter but exposure does.

Just curious -- has anyone considered the fact at length that on a monetary level, it very much was in the best interests of the media for Donald to win? I guarantee you if you look at their ratings for the next 4 years, they have a captive audience to everything that is about to go down and the ratings will be significantly higher than at any time pre-2016 election during the Obama presidency.

Finalizer

All of these post mortems just remind me how incompetent the Hill campaign was

And im depressed again

I'm still having a hard time calling it outright incompetent. Her campaign had an insane ground game, it just turned out to be pushed in the wrong places. Something something polls. And Florida was just ridiculous with the rural turnout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom