• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the far left alternative news. Remember the primary and how much sideways shit we made fun of during it? If you want the counter to the alt right news it is there.
i vividly recall far left ppl posting Breitbart and other far right sites just because they were anti hillary. the far right sites are definitely bigger!

I think we need to drop single payer as a campaign issue because its looking like its toxic among all but the most hardcore liberals who make up only a tiny fraction of the electorate. Some complex health plan that includes a path to single payer is fine, but I am now convinced that running on it harms us.

Agreed.

Gun control...I don't know. Ugh

Probably have to let it go... But I would say lets promote ways of minorities being able to freely get them. Everyone should have guns!

That might change a few opinions of the WWC or out a good portion of them who are racists.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I think we need to drop single payer as a campaign issue because its looking like its toxic among all but the most hardcore liberals who make up only a tiny fraction of the electorate. Some complex health plan that includes a path to single payer is fine, but I am now convinced that running on it harms us.

Gun control...I don't know. Ugh

Gun Control messaging and goals need to be retrofitted, much like how Kander did it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
A charismatic candidate who is relatively squeaky clean. Which is what Obama was in 2008?

Not even squeaky clean, a scandal or two can be fine depending on the content of the scandal and amount of charisma the candidate has. Remember that Bill could get away with damn near anything in the 90's, everyone just loved him unconditionally.

Probably have to let it go... But I would say lets promote ways of minorities being able to freely get them. Everyone should have guns!

That might change a few opinions of the WWC or out a good portion of them who are racists.

This might come as a shock, but most minorities don't want guns anywhere near their neighborhoods.

Gun Control messaging and goals need to be retrofitted, much like how Kander did it.

Kander was great, a shame he didn't win his election.

Yeah, the way he handled guns(I'm not going to take them away, I just want to implement background checks so terrorists won't get their hand on them) was pretty good.

Not even squeaky clean, a scandal or two can be fine depending on the content of the scandal and amount of charisma the candidate has. Remember that Bill could get away with damn near anything in the 90's, everyone just loved him unconditionally.

Yeah, enough charisma trumps scandals.

ampere

That was pre-internet era though. The game has changed

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Kander also did an awesome job at this. We should get him out there training all Dems on how to assemble an AR-15 blindfolded. Also give all Dems an AR-15.

It's not really that, it's that he showed he had respect for guns, but simultaneously want more backgrounds checks which is a very popular position. It disarms (lol) people who are used to more hardline gun messaging.

This might come as a shock, but most minorities don't want guns anywhere near their neighborhoods.

I am aware.

It's not really that, it's that he showed he had respect for guns, but simultaneously want more backgrounds checks which is a very popular position. It disarms (lol) people who are used to more hardline gun messaging.

I know. I live in Missouri. I am saying we should get out there and do that across the nation.

Most gun control policy suggested by Dems is extremely popular (background checks on gun purchases get like 84% approval from Republicans in deep red states), it's just that the politicians proposing them don't seem like they use guns.

I think the gun control policies other than assault weapons bans are very popular and politically useful, more Dems just need to look like they use guns. Hillary and Obama are nerds.

Debirudog

Kander really should have won...4 years of senate experience and then bang, 10/10 candidate.

I mean, I believe he can pull it off without but it wouldn't hurt.

I'm not a gun guy. I'd much rather there be no guns, but I'm highly contemplating buying one just to protect myself from all the other people that have some already.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Most gun control policy suggested by Dems is extremely popular (background checks on gun purchases get like 84% approval from Republicans in deep red states), it's just that the politicians proposing them don't seem like they use guns.

I think the gun control policies other than assault weapons bans are very popular and politically useful, more Dems just need to look like they use guns. Hillary and Obama are nerds.
Man, it would be awesome if we could aggressively put forth politicians in different states that knew how to address the local constituency with the full backing and resources of the DNC. Some sort of...strategy, that would apply to all fifty states

I wonder what we'd call it

Suikoguy

Basically, until we can move beyond guns and get enough support to get rid of the 2nd amendment, I think a wiser strategy for the entire dem party is smartly moderating a tad on gun issues. Ditch issues that won't do much in the first place (Assault Weapons Bans for example).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm not a gun guy. I'd much rather be no guns, but I'm highly contemplating buying one just to protect myself from all the other people that have some already.

Statistically, you're more likely to hurt yourself with that gun than by anyone else with a gun. I mean, get one if you want to, I don't really care, but you should definitely do your research first. Not only on the statistics of stuff like that, but also how to handle and store it properly. If you aren't going to get a proper gun safe then don't bother though.

Pixieking

Banned
How much did you do in the fight against white nationalism this year?

Pigeon banned. :( Hopefully only temp...

This needs to be a mantra for everyone good, though - "How much will you fight white nationalism this year? How much will you fight sexism and old white guys attempts to control women's bodies this year?"

It's an oversimplification and continued attempt to absolve these people from their choice to abandon decency and to vote affirmatively FOR bigotry and hatred.

I flip-flop on this, and this is a large part of the way forward.

On the one-hand, so many Hillary ads were about how bad Trump was, and Hillary's message at the debates and later ads was how good she was, for men, women, children, families. It really was a vote on the goodness of America and its people. WWC failed this test and voted for an awful human being.

On the other hand, we've got to accept that people are varying degrees of racist and sexist, and uneducated on top of that. If a racist says "I can get your jobs back", then the diet racists are going to be torn between goodness and jobs. Yes, it was a lie, but people are selfish and uneducated and an easy message to swallow is better than a complicated one involving retraining.

The CNN article from last night says a lot:

Democrats close to Bill Clinton said Thursday that one mistake Clinton's top aides made was not listening to the former president more when he urged the campaign to spend more time focusing on disaffected white, working class voters.
Many in Clinton's campaign viewed these voters as Trump's base, people so committed to the Republican nominee that no amount of visits or messaging could sway them

That's Clinton's campaign saying essentially the same thing as a lot of other people here - you can't appeal to racists when a racist is running, and all the WWC is racist.

Human traits are not black-and-white. Witness the GOP who were appalled by Pussygate, but could only relate it to women in their lives... Because they're sexist, but only when it's women they don't personally know. I know people are horrified by this, but people are not wholly good or wholly bad, and we have to admit that the kinda-bad people (the ones who could be saved) are the ones that are needed, both to win, and to move the future forward, socially.

Debirudog

Time for Kanderizing.

royalan

If this wasn't true for Hillary why would this have been true for Bernie who did worse than Hillary with all POC and seemed genuinely less well-versed in their concerns and less interested in speaking directly to their issues with meaningful outreach?

I think Bernie would have done worse with POC than Hillary did.
Think? He would have.

Pixieking

Banned
I still haven't read a good argument for why a white Jewish guy who's been in politics for 30 years would win against an anti-establishment, antisemitic, alt-right ticket with at least two neo-Nazi's helping to run the campaign. The (((Globalists))) adverts write themselves, and he would never win the hardcore racists (which is all the WWC, right guys? /s).

Debirudog

I'm actually kinda tired on the Sanders discussion. Whether he would win or lose, it's just irrelevant for me, when you could say Biden should have ran easily since he appealed to both sides of the issue.

This loss isn't about just this election. It was the culmination of a systemic failure of Democrats not having a true ground operation and understanding of the electorate over the years and decades.

This is a party that lost some governorships to deep blue states. A party that does horribly consistently in state and local level races. Loses the majority of governorships, etc.

It was not just about 3 states this election that Hillary failed to win. But the reasons for those states flipping red are simply the result of ignoring them for so long, taking them for granted, and allowing a loudmouth to operate in a vacuum unchecked. This was a long-time coming for Dems as you look back.

kirblar

This loss isn't about just this election. It was the culmination of a systemic failure of Democrats not having a true ground operation and understanding of the electorate over the years and decades.

This is a party that lost some governorships to deep blue states. A party that does horribly consistently in state and local level races. Loses the majority of governorships, etc.

It was not just about 3 states this election that Hillary failed to win. But the reasons for those states flipping red are simply the result of ignoring them for so long, taking them for granted, and allowing a loudmouth to operate in a vacuum unchecked. This was a long-time coming for Dems as you look back.
Obama's team went top-down, but that just straight up doesn't work.

Pixieking

Banned
Obama's team went top-down, but that just straight up doesn't work.

It needs top-down and bottom-up. Bernie has shown that young people can be interested in politics and activism, which is why 1) the Bernie or Bust people are dicks, because politics isn't just about one special candidate, and 2) the people who are still around after this election need to be put to use, in whatever way they can. Get them into the party as registered members, get them preaching, get them into office, even.

kirblar

It needs top-down and bottom-up. Bernie has shown that young people can be interested in politics and activism, which is why 1) the Bernie of Bust people are dicks, because politics isn't just about one special candidate, and 2) the people who are still around after this election need to be put to use, in whatever way they can. Get them into the party as registered members, get them preaching, get the into office, even.
Top down works once every 4 years. The other 3 are a problem.

Watching "Back to the Future" and subtle snipes are hitting so hard.

In one scene:

Doc: "Who's the President in 1985?"
Marty: "Ronald Reagan."
Doc: "The actor?!"

10 Minutes later:
Doc: "No wonder your President in the future is an actor, he's got to look good on television all the time."

Totakeke

Top-down can fail catastrophically like it just did. Bottom-up is spreading that risk out.

But sure let's do both if that's possible.

Pixieking

Banned
Top down works once every 4 years. The other 3 are a problem.

Serious question: How well is governmental structure and procedure taught in US schools? Because I cannot understand how the Dems mid-term performance is so hit-and-miss, when so much law and legislation that affects the local-level is done through Congress and Senate. So many Dem causes would be easier to sell to young people through local legislature. The Republican Presidential nominee campaigns on so little compared to the Democrats.

kirblar

Serious question: How well is governmental structure and procedure taught in US schools? Because I cannot understand how the Dems mid-term performance is so hit-and-miss, when so much law and legislation that affects the local-level is done through Congress and Senate.
Because organizing Dems is like herding cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom