• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
YEJvcnB.png

Le Pen won't win.

Who should democrats run in 2020?

Sanders?
Clinton?
Howard Dean?
Tim Kaine?
Elizabeth Warren?
Someone else?

Out of the names I've seen on this page:

Kander will be 39 (and holy fuckin' shit I thought he was 10 years older)
Harris will be 56
Clooney will be 59
Warren will be 71
Biden will be 77

In 2008, Obama was 47. In October of last year, Trudeau was 43.

Debirudog

Yeah, why do we think Xin Jinping would be the voice of reason? Granted, he's not as bad as Putin regarding foreign relations but still pretty awful

Totakeke

Interesting that China might actually be the voice of reason.

I was sitting with a group of friends the day after the election that consisted of people from America, South Korea, Malaysia, and China and I remarked that China's leader is the most sane of out of the bunch.

Democracy lost.

How are Dean's chances of getting the DNC Chair back so far? Dead on the water because of Ellison?

I'm seriously getting a Corbyn-led Labour vibes because of the emboldened Busters. Hope I'm wrong.

Totakeke

How are Dean's chances of getting the DNC Chair back so far? Dead on the water because of Ellison?

I'm seriously getting a Corbyn-led Labour vibes because of the emboldened Busters. Hope I'm wrong.

It should have never been a politicized position. Whether Dean is out depends on the voice of Bernie.

In any event, the French election is looking like it's going to be one of Juppe, Sarkozy or Macron vs Le Pen

and I like all three of their chances against her

Eh, DNC chair isn't that big of a deal in terms of general public perception.

It's not for public perception but it's very important for the structural backbone of the Dems, and the chances of a strong rebound. Dean was responsible for the increase in Dem state House and Senate control before he was forced out by Emmanuel which started the current trend of hemorrhage of local Dem legislators.

CxE6BOZXgAInTTn

Dean was party chair during the periods of increases using his 50 State Strategy until he was forced out in 2009.

In any event, the French election is looking like it's going to be one of Juppe, Sarkozy or Macron vs Le Pen

and I like all three of their chances against her

I am very comfortable in saying that she essentially no chance of winning. You can't just take Trump's victory and Brexit and say that any upcoming vote will be won by the right.

Debirudog

I am very comfortable in saying that she essentially no chance of winning. You can't just take Trump's victory and Brexit and say that any upcoming vote will be won by the right.

I know this might be dumb of to say this but after believing a Trump presidency won't happen, I don't want to jinx anything...

Sarkozy is that asshole who wants burkinis banned and wants to force Muslims and Jews to eat pork just to humiliate Muslims.

It better not end up as Sarkozy vs. Le Pen...

watershed

Banned
China will be the most reasonable global player because they want to enjoy and prolong their steady rise to global super power without desperate/moronic leaders in other countries creating unpredictable chaos or dragging China into international conflicts that they don't have any stake in or anything to gain from.

Pixieking

Banned
In fact, this is why I don't want it to be in the platform. That can be something we wink at but don't state a lot. Weed is a pretty easy thing to lay off of that might help us win back some states. People like Kander need every advantage, and one of those should be the ability to say in a red state "I don't approve or condone dope heads" without the party's official website painting them a liar. Sure it's not something most of us would agree with, but it's something that we can actually budge on. I'm not budging at all on abortion or race issues.

Guns would be another one. A lot of center/center-left people own them and would be fine with some less combative policy there. Hell I know several Bernie-or-Bust types here in Mississippi who own multiple firearms. I think this is a key area where Dems are too focused on the cities.

I am deeply confused why this kind of political pragmatism isn't already a thing with the Dems. It also makes me realise why the talk of "Don't mention minorities to the WWC so we can get their vote" is an issue - because the Dems campaign nationwide on values that the nation as a whole doesn't fully support.

I mean, of course your down-ticket is going to be screwed with that philosophy.

In that vein, then, the Dems should drop gun control as nation-wide issue, and play-up individual State rules on guns. Because you can't really apply the same standard to Missouri/Kansas/Alabama as Washington/California/DC, so why even bother? It just costs votes for no reason.

Abortion shouldn't be dropped as a nation-wide rule, though. Play into it as Dems - The party of Women's Rights. Will definitely antagonise some voters, but everyone is going to have this issue affect them at some level. WWC don't interact with AA, so they won't care about minority rights, but they sure as hell care about accidentally getting their wives pregnant, or their sister having to carry a rapist's child to term.

Also, that Kate McKinnon cold-open got me crying again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom