• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... Clinton will probably/possibly win Michigan when all's said and done.

Not enough to win the election. But it makes for a need for more nuance to the myriad post-mortems.

Where do you see that?

And yes, the biggest takeway from this Election isn't at Presidential level. It was close as fuck and Dems will win popular vote significantly.

The biggest takeway should be continued decimation of Dems at the state level.

Want to enact progressive change? Win state legislatures.

I don't think they tabulate the turnout based on registered parties. Do you have a source that says that there was lower turnout among registered Democrats?
No. My wording was bad. Hillary got less than Obama. Trump got more than Romney.
It's likely Trump flipped Obama voters too. A discussion of why has been extensive.

Do we have any potential great candidates coming up for the NJ and VA gubernatorial elections? NJ seems likely because of how terrible Christie is but I'm unfamiliar with the state politics of either. None of our senators seem interested in running there, though. Maybe Kaine will now that he's not running for VP?

Philip Murphy who was Ambassador to Germany is running. I don't know enough about him to have an opinion of him yet, but its hard to imagine a Democrat losing after Christie. Also keep in mind he announced his candidacy early so its hard to say what the primary will be like, but Stephen Sweeney and Steven Fulop have already endorsed him.

sphagnum

Banned
Philip Murphy who was Ambassador to Germany is running. I don't know enough about him to have an opinion of him yet, but its hard to imagine a Democrat losing after Christie. Also keep in mind he announced his candidacy early so its hard to say what the primary will be like, but Stephen Sweeney and Steven Fulop have already endorsed him.

When I think of Sweeney, I mostly just think of his son because I went to college with him. Had a few history classes together. He really likes Polish hussars.

Fun fact!

geomon

Remember the days when George W. Bush had just invaded Afghanistan and flat out said nuclear weapon use was on the table? Good times.

Thinking about it a lot.. But if you really look Trump responds really well to flattery. Like when Hillary said nice things about his kids and how well it reflects on them he said how she was a fighter and never gives up etc. And his acceptance speech he praised her because she probably was nice to him on the phone.

Maybe for all of our sakes it would be good for some of the Dems behind the scenes to kiss his ass and see if that helps.

Totakeke

Thinking about it a lot.. But if you really look Trump responds really well to flattery. Like when Hillary said nice things about his kids and how well it reflects on them he said how she was a fighter and never gives up etc. And his acceptance speech he praised her because she probably was nice to him on the phone.

Maybe for all of our sakes it would be good for some of the Dems behind the scenes to kiss his ass and see if that helps.

I don't even know how Trump works with the people surrounding him. Does he listen to what they say? Do they listen to what he says? Do they actually treat him anything like a president? Does anyone care what everyone else in the team does? Do they even need him anymore? Does he care if they treat him like a puppet?

I don't even know how Trump works with the people surrounding him. Does he listen to what they say? Do they listen to what he says? Do they actually treat him anything like a president? Does anyone care what everyone else in the team does? Do they even need him anymore? Does he care if they treat him like a puppet?

I'm not entirely sure.. But given the fact that he won the election with virtually no help from anyone I'm not convinced any of the GOP will be able to push him into doing something he doesn't want to do.

but then again, I don't know what are things he "doesn't want to do" will qualify as. Anyone's guess.

Totakeke

I'm not entirely sure.. But given the fact that he won the election with virtually no help from anyone I'm not convinced any of the GOP will be able to push him into doing something he doesn't want to do.

but then again, I don't know what are things he "doesn't want to do" will qualify as. Anyone's guess.

The disparity in the two tweets about protesters show that someone is whispering in his ears though.

sphagnum

Banned
It's pretty obvious at this point that Trump doesn't actually want the job, just the title. He'll be happy if everyone around him says "YES MR PRESIDENT" while he spouts off ideas the Pence feeds to him, except for big signature plans that he comes up with once in a blue moon on his own.

Totakeke

It's pretty obvious at this point that Trump doesn't actually want the job, just the title. He'll be happy if everyone around him says "YES MR PRESIDENT" while he spouts off ideas the Pence feeds to him, except for big signature plans that he comes up with once in a blue moon on his own.

That's only till someone points out he is Pence's puppet on twitter though.

PInk Tape

Banned

This is complete fan fiction but...

I think he entertains what his team says sometimes but ultimately the final decisions for anything will be based on what he wants to happen. They entertain his ideas as well and add their input and desires into whatever they're discussing hoping flattery will get them what they want.

His team treats him as a president in front of him but behind his back, they are probably laughing at him. It's probably every man/woman for themselves there; I honestly wouldn't want to be a part of that team tbh.

You're not helping.

But maybe that's what you want?

I voted for Bernie in the primary (Ohio FWIW).

I also threw my weight behind Hillary because that's the right thing for progressives to do.

The circular firing squad helps nobody.

And Bernie himself is against it.

Fuck the Bros.
The fire-squad is meant to stop idiots from labeling them as BERNIE BROS, which doesn't help discussion and merely turns people from conversing whatsoever. It was epidemic for the past six months, and possibly contributed to this low turnout that you're bemoaning, so yes I'm going to fucking call it out when I see it. That YOU don't see it as troubling speaks more to not learning from this election, rhetorical and political persuasion 101. If you're supposed to be in this group of political junkies, you don't continually use this term that is a blanket pejorative that a large swath of people could self-identify as.

But no, let's continue using this term and deplorables, and paint every transgression as racist, much like many people paint every Clinton policy as neoliver, the trigger word that many here simply listen to and then use as ammunition to ignore their opinion and conversation.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Maybe we should just let him name everything after himself. Turn universal healthcare in Trump Medicine for example.

Totakeke

The fire-squad is meant to stop idiots from labeling them as BERNIE BROS, which doesn't help discussion and merely turns people from conversing whatsoever. It was epidemic for the past six months, and possibly contributed to this low turnout that you're bemoaning, so yes I'm going to fucking call it out when I see it. That YOU don't see it as troubling speaks more to not learning from this election, rhetorical and political persuasion 101. If you're supposed to be in this group of political junkies, you don't continually use this term that is a blanket pejorative that a large swath of people could self-identify as.

But no, let's continue using this term and deplorables, and paint every transgression as racist, much like many people paint every Clinton policy as neoliver, the trigger word that many here simply listen to and then use as ammunition to ignore their opinion and conversation.

I'm going to call you an idiot because the original post you quoted is sarcastic. The so-called low turnout is merely a theory and looks less true every minute votes are counted but I'm sure you first reach a conclusion and latch on to everything that fits the narrative in your mind.

Although I'm sure you can find many other posts to justify your anger.

i'm not a mod, but for the love of fuck, can we all stop using shit intended as pejorative ("bernie bro" or "neoliberal") against each other, period? all you're doing with that shit is wanking off your own ego.

and yes, overall turnout was probably higher than 2012. let's TRY to focus on that.

(like, holy fuck, i should not have to keep posting that we need all hands on deck if we want this to be an unfortunate accident instead of a permanent nightmare)

kirblar

The problem is that Bernie seems to completely not understand his cult of personality. Like, he genuinely doesn't get it and so it weaponizes every time he points somewhere.

PInk Tape

Banned
They frame Reagan as their second Jesus but support Russia since it fits the narrative they want to tell and expect their followers to believe now.

lmao

royalan

I mean, we haven't talked a lot about it. But how much of this is just complacency on the part of Dems in WI and PA thinking that they're safe Blue and just not bothering to vote.

I recall before the election people saying, I'm voting for ____ because I'm in safe WI.

If that's the case in PA, it wasn't seen here in Philly.

Despite my earlier bedwetting, Philadelphia actually went to the polls. Hell, my own precinct had its highest turnout ever. Philly was slightly down from what Obama did in '12, but not by much. We still produced the 450,000+ margin Dems usually expect from Philly to carry the rest of the state.

I think the story of PA, when all is said and done, won't be Dem complacency, but previous R complacency. I'm not native to the state, but from the years I've lived here, I've always been surprised that PA is a blue state, to be honest. Shit gets real rural outside of the city. Seems like the potential to go red has always been there...they just needed the guy with the right message (read: blatant racism) to turn them out.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
They frame Reagan as their second Jesus but support Russia since it fits the narrative they want to tell and expect their followers to believe now.

lmao

The 180 by Republicans about Russia is probably the most fucking bizarre part of this election.

Especially since Russia has gone back to being shit, opposite of what might deserve a softening of relations. That that it should be all THAT surprising Russia went back to being shit, the somewhat non shitty period was quite short.

Debirudog

The 180 by Republicans about Russia is probably the most fucking bizarre part of this election.

Especially since Russia has gone back to being shit, opposite of what might deserve a softening of relations. That that it should be all THAT surprising Russia went back to being shit, the somewhat non shitty period was quite short.

the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Despite my earlier bedwetting, Philadelphia actually went to the polls. Hell, my own precinct had its highest turnout ever. Philly was slightly down from what Obama did in '12, but not by much. We still produced the 450,000+ margin Dems usually expect from Philly to carry the rest of the state.

I think the story of PA, when all is said and done, won't be Dem complacency, but previous R complacency. I'm not native to the state, but from the years I've lived here, I've always been surprised that PA is a blue state, to be honest. Shit gets real rural outside of the city. Seems like the potential to go red has always been there...they just needed the guy with the right message (read: blatant racism) to turn them out.
From listening to KI1600, the real issue was losing small/mid size cities that Obama won like Scranton.

Obama voters flipped to Romney in PA.

watershed

Banned
There are too many mistakes, political sins, unlucky events, and political dynamics to count in this election. Every angle reveals something sad and regrettable.

Yeah. If I had any connection to Trump, I would be like, "You know the Hoover Dam? Named after a President. You should build a massive 1000 square kilometer solar farm with your name on it!"

JP_

Banned
Posted? https://twitter.com/gzornick/status/797082662120943616

"Whoa - this statement from Harry Reid."
Cw_Oc1lWIAAPz4K.jpg

Full here: http://www.reid.senate.gov/press_re...-on-the-election-of-donald-trump#.WCgYaOErK7Y

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom