• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't Clooney a Republican?

Resize

kirblar

I am deeply confused why this kind of political pragmatism isn't already a thing with the Dems. It also makes me realise why the talk of "Don't mention minorities to the WWC so we can get their vote" is an issue - because the Dems campaign nationwide on values that the nation as a whole doesn't fully support.

I mean, of course your down-ticket is going to be screwed with that philosophy.

In that vein, then, the Dems should drop gun control as nation-wide issue, and play-up individual State rules on guns. Because you can't really apply the same standard to Missouri/Kansas/Alabama as Washington/California/DC, so why even bother.

Abortion shouldn't be dropped as a nation-wide rule, though. Play into it as Dems - The party of Women's Rights. Will definitely antagonise some voters, but everyone is going to have this issue affect them at some level. WWC don't interact with AA, so they won't care about minority right, but they sure as hell care about accidentally getting their wives pregnant, or their sister having to carry a rapist's child to term.

Also, that Kate McKinnon cold-open got me crying again.
Because the organization that made sure this happened got destroyed in '08.

rodvik

Random thought: do we have new lessons to draw from 2000? It feels like the old explanation of "Gore ran away from Clinton" is largely invalidated. Is the only answer that Gore was too boring and got painted as being the same as Bush, same as Hillary and Trump?

Likeability matters a lot I guess.

Both Gore & Hillary had high negatives , not all fo which was from invented Republican attacks. Both can seem cold or figures from a very different class than most people.

People who voted for Bush & Trump often said these were guys who they understood and who they could have a beer with.

In Trumps case he can be genuinely witty and while Clinton always delivers the perfect lines written in advance, Trump is undeniably spontaneous which can often come across as more honest.

Thats my theory anyway.

I think Clinton was just highly uncharismatic. That counts for more than people realize. After Trump's terrible presidency and if Dems run a decently charismatic candidate, I think winning in 2020 will be easy.

Debirudog

If only Clinton got passionate in her speeches like she was in the third debate when Trump essentially fucking lied about abortion.

"Well that's not what happens."

She's too reserved most of the time. Us nerds come off as cold eventhough we actually want to like people and hang around with them.

I jumped to one point near the beginning and he talks about emails and how is it wrong to have a public and private persona. Don't care to listen to the rest.

I mean, it's that kinda thinking that makes his point that much stronger. Disregarding everything he says, just because of a minor sentence he mentions and doesn't linger on...is well, proving his point on discussion.. (Also he didn't mention emails)

I am deeply confused why this kind of political pragmatism isn't already a thing with the Dems. It also makes me realise why the talk of "Don't mention minorities to the WWC so we can get their vote" is an issue - because the Dems campaign nationwide on values that the nation as a whole doesn't fully support.

I mean, of course your down-ticket is going to be screwed with that philosophy.

In that vein, then, the Dems should drop gun control as nation-wide issue, and play-up individual State rules on guns. Because you can't really apply the same standard to Missouri/Kansas/Alabama as Washington/California/DC, so why even bother? It just costs votes for no reason.

Abortion shouldn't be dropped as a nation-wide rule, though. Play into it as Dems - The party of Women's Rights. Will definitely antagonise some voters, but everyone is going to have this issue affect them at some level. WWC don't interact with AA, so they won't care about minority rights, but they sure as hell care about accidentally getting their wives pregnant, or their sister having to carry a rapist's child to term.

Also, that Kate McKinnon cold-open got me crying again.

I mean isn't this why we need Howard Deans 50 state strategy?

It's really interesting to think about how the crime bill would've played out if Biden had ran. Would Bernie have hit both of them on it (even though they all signed it) or would it just not have come up?

Biden wrote the fuckin crime bill and has gone absolutely unscathed all year from its discussions.

Pixieking

Banned
I think Clinton was just highly uncharismatic. That counts for more than people realize. After Trump's terrible presidency and if Dems run a decently charismatic candidate, I think winning in 2020 will be easy.

This kind of thing needs to not be black-and-white.

I watched a hell of a lot Clinton ads, all 3 debates, clips from town halls she held... She is absolutely a charismatic woman. The issue is that she wasn't charismatic 100% of the time. She is a strong, intelligent, empathetic, independent woman, who felt very uncomfortable in certain circumstances, and that affected her appearance/demeanor.

Because the organization that made sure this happened got destroyed in '08.

I mean isn't this why we need Howard Deans 50 state strategy?

Obviously, yes... But bloody hell, why does it look like the DNC was run by a dumb-ass short-sighted jock who failed Politics 101?

Edit: With regards to my "Party of Women's Rights" line above - that's essentially what the GOP paints the Dems as for all the evangelicals out there anyways. If you're anti-abortion, you're anti-Dem - push that line, and all you lose are the single-issue Republicans, especially when you back down from nation-wide gun control.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's really interesting to think about how the crime bill would've played out if Biden had ran. Would Bernie have hit both of them on it (even though they all signed it) or would it just not have come up?

Biden wrote the fuckin crime bill and has gone absolutely unscathed all year from its discussions.

Bernie voted for the thing, and ran on that fact a number of times in the past, and that went straight up ignored. So there's really no way to tell.

Totakeke

I mean, it's that kinda thinking that makes his point that much stronger. Disregarding everything he says, just because of a minor sentence he mentions and doesn't linger on...is well, proving his point on discussion.. (Also he didn't mention emails)

Right my bad, that comment was based on the leaked speeches, not the leaked emails.

In any case, I tuned out a lot of the talking heads after elections. Everyone wants to be angrier than the next guy and immediately shouts out what they believe to be the cause of the election and each of them more convinced that they are more right than ever before. They're more interested in talking than listening before they talk. This guy is just one of many that I'm not going to bother with.

Edit: If he has valid points then you can bring them out to discuss. I'm just not going to waste my emotions on them and that's what they're trying to tap into.

Maengun1

I enjoy speculation so not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but the important thing right now is DNC chair, 2017 governor races, and prepping for 2018. Find THOSE candidates now.

And obstruct obstruct obstruct the republicans. And dear god, someone trick Trump into forgetting about the Climate Deal.

Strong 2020 contenders will rise to the top organically in the next 18 months.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I enjoy speculation so not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but the important thing right now is DNC chair, 2017 governor races, and prepping for 2018. Find THOSE candidates now.

And obstruct obstruct obstruct the republicans. And dear god, someone trick Trump into forgetting about the Climate Deal.

Strong 2020 contenders will rise to the top organically in the next 18 months.
We need to minimize all of the shit Trump does that people won't really care about next election. I really hope someone convinces him to nominate a center right justice and forget about the Paris Agreement.

Debirudog

Well...when you're Obama's vp and brotherly figure...

kirblar

Because the Crime Bill was a BS point of leverage that only 30 and unders with no memory of how bad crime used to be were getting upset about.

Pixieking

Banned
Biden is getting deified on Twitter right now among black people with these memes lol. I guess people also aren't mentioning him since he didn't have a "superpredator" moment.

Odd question, but what's Biden going to do when the new administration takes over? Will he just be a family man or what? He seems to have a couple of personal causes (sexual assault on campus and cancer), so will be a spokesperson about those?

Edit: If he has valid points then you can bring them out to discuss. I'm just not going to waste my emotions on them and that's what they're trying to tap into.

Its been alot on whats been said before that hasnt already been discussed to death either here or in OT.

Basically a stream of thoughta on various points without going deep into any of them. But its cathartic to hear it come from someone else.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Odd question, but what's Biden going to do when the new administration takes over? Will he just be a family man or what? He seems to have a couple of personal causes (sexual assault on campus and cancer), so will be a spokesperson about those?

Apparently he's going to keep running the cancer moonshot, if Trump doesn't kill it.

A week before the election he had the gall to say thay Hillary Clinton did not have 99% chance of winning(according to other aggregators).

And he was right. Everyone told him he was wrong, but come election night they all ate crow.

Seeing that NYT tracker go from like 90% Hillary win to Trump over the night was something else.

A week before the election he had the gall to say thay Hillary Clinton did not have 99% chance of winning(according to other aggregators).

And he was right. Everyone told him he was wrong, but come election night they all ate crow.

But there was never even anything wrong with his model, right? It used the same polls as everyone else. I don't understand why people would have been upset.

But there was never even anything wrong with his model, right? It used the same polls as everyone else. I don't understand why people would have been upset.

I dont know the details. All i know is that other aggregrators, huffpost, a man Sam Wang, and some Gaffers turned on 538 when he started putting out worse numbers against Hillary.

SamVimes

Because the Crime Bill was a BS point of leverage that only 30 and unders with no memory of how bad crime used to be were getting upset about.

Only under 30s care about one of the most devastating recent pieces of legislation that for the most part hit minorities? Only under 30s care about more death penalty offenses? Only under 30s care about rehabilitation through education which was denied by the crime bill? About the three strikes law? Prison overcrowding?
It didn't do shit to address the underlying problems that were pushing people into crime.

kirblar

Only under 30s care about one of the most devastating recent pieces of legislation that for the most part hit minorities? Only under 30s care about more death penalty offenses? Only under 30s care about rehabilitation through education which was denied by the crime bill? About the three strikes law?
It didn't do shit to address the underlying problems that were pushing people into crime.
The biggest problem was lead poisoning. No one knew that at the time.

You and others are looking at this bill with 20 20 hindsight. They were trying to help, but there were unknown unknowns at work that they couldn't account for. Today, we know a lot better

SamVimes

You and others are looking at this bill with 20 20 hindsight. They were trying to help, but there were unknown unknowns at work that they couldn't account for. Today, we know a lot better

Where's the 20 20 hindsight in eliminating higher education for inmates? That's just revenge, it's never gonna help anyone.

watershed

Banned

Partly true but also partly not. Yes they were trying to help but even for the 90s they chose the most punishing approach they could find. Prevention and rehabilitation were already known and endorsed approaches to crime and prison in the 90s but they opted for punishment above all.

People, including policymakers warned Clinton and the dems about the damage that would be done to the black community, the clearly racist threads in the law and its connection to previous crime bills, but they went ahead with it anyways.

It wasn't just a case of "we didn't know better." They did but prioritized a crime and punishment approach and chose to placate scared suburban voters over the people whose lives would be most effected. Yes crime was terrible in the 90s, but the crime bill as it was written and implemented was not the only option.

thebloo

His model was prone to react much faster and harder to polls than all the others, making it look stupid at times. Example: a deep Red state coming up with a good poll for Trump would move the whole election towards him.

But what turned a lot of people off Silver was his punditry. He was so shook by the primaries (in which he was an awful pundit) that he pushed back. He was "right" in the end, so whatever we think doesn't matter.

Here's a question I haven't seen talked about a lot. How would Hillary have done against anyone else but Trump? Would she still have lost?

Hillary vs Cruz?
Hillary vs Rubio?
Hillary vs Jeb?

Pixieking

Banned
Serious question:

Non-US citizen wanting to help educate voters (yes, that sounds patronizing, no it's genuinely not meant to be) and/or help the DNC. How can I do that? I've got some serious analytical skills that I think would be very helpful for the coming 2/4 years, if nothing else.

Separate but related:

I have an idea for a company, but whilst it may have its uses in the UK (where I'm from), it really comes into its own in the US. But, hell, it seems unlikely a UK bank gives me a business loan based on that pitch, so... What to do?

I'm tempted to contact various philanthropists or non-profit orgs, but *shrugs* Given Warren Buffet's despising of Trump, really want to pitch an idea to him... But then we get into juvenile what-ifs, and that's dumb.

Maledict

Partly true but also partly not. Yes they were trying to help but even for the 90s they chose the most punishing approach they could find. Prevention and rehabilitation were already known and endorsed approaches to crime and prison in the 90s but they opted for punishment above all.

People, including policymakers warned Clinton and the dems about the damage that would be done to the black community, the clearly racist threads in the law and its connection to previous crime bills, but they went ahead with it anyways.

It wasn't just a case of "we didn't know better." They did but prioritized a crime and punishment approach and chose to placate scared suburban voters over the people whose lives would be most effected. Yes crime was terrible in the 90s, but the crime bill as it was written and implemented was not the only option.

I'm sorry but this is rewriting history. The Democratic Black Caucus supported the bill at the time.

watershed

Banned
I'm sorry but this is rewriting history. The Democratic Black Caucus supported the bill at the time.

It's not rewriting history at all. I know who supported the crime bill. Many black politicians supported the bill, but not all. Here are 3 articles that do a pretty good job diving into it's history.

There were unintended consequences to the bill and there were clear consequences that people endorsed.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/05/the-tragic-politics-of-crime/392114/
http://www.salon.com/2016/04/16/racist_then_racist_now_the_real_story_of_bill_clintons_crime_bill/
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ed_the_1994_crime_bill_championed_by_the.html

Biden is getting deified on Twitter right now among black people with these Joe/Barack/Trump memes lol. I guess people also aren't mentioning him since he didn't have a "superpredator" moment.
Yeh, Biden still refers to the 90s crime bill as the Biden Bill.

But I guess no one has been retweeting that, or posting it on their Facebook walls.

Plus he has this awesome thing called a penis.

Diablos

So apparently reports of hate crimes have spiked more than they did after 9/11?

Who would have ever thought the election of a new President would do that?

This is just crushing.

This is going to hurt the resurgence Democrats need to reinvigorate the DNC by the way. People are going to be afraid to volunteer for fear of getting assaulted in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom