• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

You know, Christie kind of has a point. When he endorsed Trump he maintained that the Clintons know standard politics better than anyone else and would destroy Rubio. Trump is so unconventional that it could be hard to figure out a strategy against him.

Are we poligaffers a bit too afraid of little Rubio? If Trump wins the nom he is defying history. No one else running for president with this level of support has run this kind of campaign. Even the Clinton and Obama machines on their best days could struggle.

Brinbe

You know, Christie kind of has a point. When he endorsed Trump he maintained that the Clintons know standard politics better than anyone else and would destroy Rubio. Trump is so unconventional that it could be hard to figure out a strategy against him.

Are we poligaffers a bit too afraid of little Rubio? If Trump wins the nom he is define history. No one else running for president with this level of support has run this kind of campaign. Even the Clinton and Obama machines on their best days could struggle.

No, I don't think so. I mean Trump/Christie have exposed Rubio quite a bit, but I still think Marco would legit be the toughest competition for the Dems.

And Obama would destroy Trump. Don's all about that alpha male shit and he would get his shit shut down by Obama, who is in fact a cooler and better person than Trump could ever hope to be.

GuyKazama

Are we poligaffers a bit too afraid of little Rubio? If Trump wins the nom he is defying history. No one else running for president with this level of support has run this kind of campaign. Even the Clinton and Obama machines on their best days could struggle.

Hillary would melt Rubio into a puddle. He is too inexperienced for this sort of thing. Look how gleefully he behaved in the debate when he got in a jab.

Trump held his own today on MTP. Full steam ahead to Tuesday!

I think what most people are concerned about with Rubio is his possible ability to convert Hispanics to the Republican party, or at least enough as Bush did and win the election. The problem with this is that he's gone so far to the right on immigration to win the primary, it'd be hard for him to pivot back. He might be seen as "abandoning his roots"

There are also people who think he'd win over young people when his opinions on gay marriage and his tax plans are completely out of whack.

Hillary beats those polling numbers in Georgia, Arkansas and Alabama.

I think she'll run with similar margins in Texas and Virginia.

I think that MN will go to Bernie. It's just too advantageous to him. It's basically tailor made for him. He'll win in VT and keep her from being viable. Colorado....I don't know. Probably Bernie, but very close. And I still believe that MA will go to Hillary. If Obama couldn't take it from her in 2008, I just don't see Bernie doing it. Maybe I'm wrong, though. Oklahoma? No idea.

You're going to freak out about Trump on the day he refuses to disavow the KKK? He can get away with shit like this in a split GOP primary but its going to kill him in the national.

FiggyCal

Banned

I don't understand the inconsistent atittude towwards Rubio in these threads. He's a terrible politician and people recognize that generally, but then he starts doing well and suddenly he's a threat.

Christie has some common sense though. Putting politics aside during a national disaster. Also he called out the GOP and told them anyone who underestimates Obama's reelection chances do so at their peril.

I also think he fucking hates Mitt Romney, so potentially hurting his election probably gave him a sense of glee. And now as a Trump surrogate, he gets to go after Romney again!

Andrea Mitchell freaking out about emails and benghazi

I honestly do think this is the media's last hope in turning the Democratic race into a "close race". I do not know why they would otherwise immediately start talking about emails before Clinton gave her victory speech.

I also don't think it will work. Emails and Benghazi are complete dead/joke issues to Democratic voters.

Tarkus

Stephanopoulos is calling out Christie for all the shit he talked about Trump earlier in the year. Chris looking a bit uncomfortable.

CCS

Banned
Nate Silver ‏@NateSilver538 20m20 minutes ago

Strongest correlate I've found for Donald "The line of 'Make America great again,' the phrase, that was mine" Trump support is Google searches for the n-word. Others have reported this too: http://nyti.ms/1IFI3AE

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Let's say Trump winning the nomination splits the Republican Party into a White Nationalist Party (headed by Trump but with LePage, Rick Scott, and others behind him) and a conservative party that mostly focuses on religion (headed by Rubio). Does Trump or Rubio get more votes in November?

Trump.

The GOP openly splitting the party and running a third-party candidate would infuriate the lower/middle-class GOP base so much it would be a hilarious disaster. I think Rubio would easily be last place in that race.

Also, I think it is so funny that the RNC is pushing Rubio down everyone's throats yet Cruz continues to poll either around Rubio or better. Total backfire. The RNC clearly has zero idea what its base actually wants, and that is going to make this split even more amazing to watch.

Andrea Mitchell freaking out about emails and benghazi

In other news, water is wet. This is, literally, the last thing they can use to try and drive a wedge in the Democratic electorate. It's totally nothing, it's always been nothing, but damn if they're not going to try, try, try.

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

This is shocking information. Fetch me my fainting couch, please.

Armaros

In other news, water is wet. This is, literally, the last thing they can use to try and drive a wedge in the Democratic electorate. It's totally nothing, it's always been nothing, but damn if they're not going to try, try, try.

This is shocking information. Fetch me my fainting couch, please.

They can't talk about polling anymore because it's such a shutout.

Teggy

Stephanopoulos is calling out Christie for all the shit he talked about Trump earlier in the year. Chris looking a bit uncomfortable.

Yup, he literally said he was unqualified. He can say its politics all he wants, but it will be great in a GE ad.

Let's say Trump winning the nomination splits the Republican Party into a White Nationalist Party (headed by Trump but with LePage, Rick Scott, and others behind him) and a conservative party that mostly focuses on religion (headed by Rubio). Does Trump or Rubio get more votes in November?

For 2016? The candidate with the Republican name on him.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Carson dropping out would probably be the best thing for Cruz, since most of his former staffers/people went for Cruz

At last check, Carson voters said 24% would move to Cruz and 22% to Trump. Guess it's a wash.

At last check, Carson voters said 24% would move to Cruz and 22% to Trump. Guess it's a wash.

Carson's support would split among the top 3 enough that it wouldn't matter for anything other than hitting thresholds. And thresholds won't matter much in the states after he drops out. Carson leaving would have no significant impact on the race unless he endorsed someone.

Guys even if Rubio hits 20% in Texas, that only allows him some of the 47 statewide delegates.

He'd still likely get shut out in the congressional districts as Cruz/Trump go 1-2 in all of them.

They can't talk about polling anymore because it's such a shutout.

Bu-bu-bu didn't you hear? If Bernie wins Mass, then all of the delegates are re-allocated to a 50/50 split, and it's a tie again. And he wins. And she loses.

Lawrence and Tweety TOTALLY told us that last night. /s

Kyosaiga

Banned
Bu-bu-bu didn't you hear? If Bernie wins Mass, then all of the delegates are re-allocated to a 50/50 split, and it's a tie again. And he wins. And she loses.

Lawrence and Tweety TOTALLY told us that last night. /s

I hope they get better when the GE starts.

They're the only News Network I can tolerate.

I think we can lay any concerns about the black turnout in November to rest. Hillary is popular with black voters, has closely tied herself to Obama (who will be campaigning for her). and she's running against a guy endorsed by the KKK and is on tape refusing to disavow them.

If projections hold:

CcTxf8-W4AAE5K3.jpg

NeoXChaos

thread assignment. The bolded are this week. If you all did not know b-dubs ST thread will cover all Primaries, Territories and Caucuses for both parties up to March 12th. Ivysaur is pending to cover just March 15th states.

Super Tuesday-b-dubs
Super Tuesday Part 2- ivysaur12

*After Super Tuesday 2 PoliGAF handles the rest of the primaries.

*Veepstakes is going to be in PoliGAF

2016 Republican National Convention-b-dubs
2016 Democratic National Convention- NeoXChaos

1st Presidential Debate-b-dubs
Vice Presidential Debate-Ebay Huckster
2nd Presidential Debate-kingkitty
3rd Presidential Debate-Holmes

General Election 2016-Aaron Strife

Republican Debates
11 - March 3 Fox News - Slayven
12 - March 10 CNN - Makai
13 -March 23 Makai

Democratic Debates
7 March 6-kingkitty
8 March 9 Univision/Washington Post NeoXChaos
9 April-kingkitty
10 May-TBD

CCS

Banned
I think we can lay any concerns about the black turnout in November to rest. Hillary is popular with black voters, has closely tied herself to Obama (who will be campaigning for her). and she's running against a guy endorsed by the KKK and is on tape refusing to disavow them.

Pretty much this. Combine that with Trump's horrendous unfavourables amongst latinos and he'd have to get an unbelievable share of the white vote to have a chance.

Gruco

Banned
Wow, Trump is beating Rubio in Virginia? I thought I saw Rubio winning there and that being his best state to eek out a win. Would be bad if he lost. Sad but true.

Anyway, two days. Hurry upppppp

Rubio incapable of getting a #1 theory holding strong.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Sadly it's looking like Cruz will win Texas, we need a trump sweep :/

Cruz winning Texas means Cruz staying in until March 15th. Cruz dropping out after March 1st might be the only way Rubio has a chance to catch up to trump.

Cornel West:

https://news.vice.com/article/corne...t-support-hillary-clinton-have-lost-their-way

"There's no doubt that the great John Lewis of 50 years ago is different than the John Lewis today," West remarked. "He's my brother. I love him, I respect his personhood, but there's no doubt he's gone from a high moment of Martin Luther King-like struggle to now [a] neoliberal politician in a system that is characterized more and more by legalized bribery and normalized corruption. That's what big money does to politics. And the Clinton machine is an example of that."

Pretty much this. Combine that with Trump's horrendous unfavourables amongst latinos and he'd have to get an unbelievable share of the white vote to have a chance.

I mean, for Donald "it's very hard for a flat chested woman to be a 10" to win the election, he would probably have to get well over 50% of the white woman vote.

Which is going to be, uhh, difficult.

thread assignment. The bolded are this week. If you all did not know b-dubs ST thread will cover all Primaries, Territories and Caucuses for both parties up to March 12th. Ivysaur is pending to cover just March 15th states.

General Election 2016-Aaron Strife

Looking forward to Mr. Aaron

CCS

Banned
I mean, for Donald "it's very hard for a flat chested woman to be a 10" to win the election, he would probably have to get well over 50% of the white woman vote.

Which is going to be, uhh, difficult.

I'm starting to think Donald Trump exists purely to make political strategists cry.

@realDonaldTrump

Little Marco Rubio, the lightweight no show Senator from Florida, is set to be the "puppet" of the special interest Koch brothers. WATCH!

I hope they get better when the GE starts.

They're the only News Network I can tolerate.

Some of them will be. Some of them won't. To be honest, I've found CNN to be a bit better this time around. Not sure what that says about me, CNN or MSNBC, but there we go.

I just listened to Hillary's speech again. Damn. Just damn. Those last few minutes? That's her campaign right there. She actually makes the perfect contrast to someone like Trump. She's not screaming. She's not telling one group of people they're the problem. She's not trying to throw anyone under the bus. Love and kindness. Love and kindness. Get it.

CCS

Banned
Some of them will be. Some of them won't. To be honest, I've found CNN to be a bit better this time around. Not sure what that says about me, CNN or MSNBC, but there we go.

I just listened to Hillary's speech again. Damn. Just damn. Those last few minutes? That's her campaign right there. She actually makes the perfect contrast to someone like Trump. She's not screaming. She's not telling one group of people they're the problem. She's not trying to throw anyone under the bus. Love and kindness. Love and kindness. Get it.

That was an incredible speech, she's definitely found her message for the general there.

Bernie still saying he's looking forward to California

Presumably because that's where he'll be going on holiday after he pulls out.

Bowdz

Total destruction. Rubio will be in huge trouble at that point.

It's going to be interesting to see how it shakes out. My boy Sam Wang (WANG WANG!) has Rubio getting under 100 delegates post ST because of the district thresholds which Rubio is polling under in many states. The rules are stacked to help the leader lock the nomination up quickly. Let's see if the national pundits are correct or if the Wang erects predictions so firm that they're impossible topple.

Plinko

It's going to be interesting to see how it shakes out. My boy Sam Wang (WANG WANG!) has Rubio getting under 100 delegates post ST because of the district thresholds which Rubio is polling under in many states. The rules are stacked to help the leader lock the nomination up quickly. Let's see if the national pundits are correct or if the Wang erects predictions so firm that they're impossible topple.

Nate Silver is still pushing the idea that Rubio can sweep everything after Super Tuesday, but where in the world would that momentum come from?

CCS

Banned

You're having a lot of fun with Wang aren't you? :p

To be fair so would I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom