• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

What does strict non-photo ID mean for Ohio? You basically have to sign an affidavit or something if you don't have photo ID? That is fucking ridiculous

Speaking of leap day...

Today is the 8th "anniversary" (I guess) of my dad passing away. I've talked about him before, but without him I doubt I would be even halfway as interested in politics as I am now. He cast his first Presidential ballot for FDR. Voted in every single election, Presidential or otherwise until he passed away at the age of 85. He volunteered every time the polls were open. He donated money. He would drag me along to all these idiotic things that I had no interest in. Every time he voted he forced me to go with him, and told me how important all this lunacy was.

He served in WW2 rebuilding railroads. He worked his way up from selling newspapers to being the director of a newspaper (without ever being able to go to college). He once had the KKK march across his property because he dared to eat lunch (and invited to dinner) an AA guy he worked with. My dad went out and asked them if they wanted to take their hoods off because it was pretty hot outside. (The guy was a life long friend, and actually lived with my dad and his first wife for a while he worked to save enough mone to move his family up from Alabama.)

In 2008 he was torn. He liked Obama, but he adored Hillary. (He thought Edwards was a creep). He wanted to vote for Hillary so damn badly. He didn't get to. But I'm going to this year. Going to work my ass off for her and every other Democrat I can find.

Sorry...just felt like getting that all out there.

PBY

Banned
Speaking of leap day...

Today is the 8th "anniversary" (I guess) of my dad passing away. I've talked about him before, but without him I doubt I would be even halfway as interested in politics as I am now. He cast his first Presidential ballot for FDR. Voted in every single election, Presidential or otherwise until he passed away at the age of 85. He volunteered every time the polls were open. He donated money. He would drag me along to all these idiotic things that I had no interest in. Every time he voted he forced me to go with him, and told me how important all this lunacy was.

He served in WW2 rebuilding railroads. He worked his way up from selling newspapers to being the director of a newspaper (without ever being able to go to college). He once had the KKK march across his property because he dared to eat lunch (and invited to dinner) an AA guy he worked with. My dad went out and asked them if they wanted to take their hoods off because it was pretty hot outside. (The guy was a life long friend, and actually lived with my dad and his first wife for a while he worked to save enough mone to move his family up from Alabama.)

In 2008 he was torn. He liked Obama, but he adored Hillary. (He thought Edwards was a creep). He wanted to vote for Hillary so damn badly. He didn't get to. But I'm going to this year. Going to work my ass off for her and every other Democrat I can find.

Thats dope man, treasure those memories - sounds like he was an awesome dude.

What does strict non-photo ID mean for Ohio? You basically have to sign an affidavit or something if you don't have photo ID? That is fucking ridiculous

On the ballot, you can just put the last four of your social if you want. That's what I always do because I refuse to show an ID if I have an alternative.

one day. tank ready.

you thought i was joking about this life.

Holy fuck. I'ma need a minute...and a glass of water.

Crocodile

Am I the only person who sees the transparency of this whole thing? The media is just doing anything they can at this point.

KKK, TRUMP UNIVERSITY, RUBIO DESTROYS TRUMP BY MAKING PENIS JOKE, SECRET TAPES.

I understand Trump is a monster and is clearly racist but it's kind of gross how both parties establishment and the media are intertwined like this. The guy spent 8 months disparaging Mexicans and Muslims for gods sake.

I wonder if Trump is smart/adept enough to spin it as media bias (since it kind of would be - or at least a correction for the hand-holding he has gotten so far) and if voters will buy that.

Speaking of leap day...

Thanks for sharing, keep it up and get her in there for your old man!

Slacker

Rubio said if Trump put his money in an index fund, he would be richer than Warren Buffet. Definitely false.

Yes Rubio... good... make personal finances a campaign issue. Next he should attack Trump for not showing up to work enough. It can't fail!

Cerium

Trump: I'm going to do 'phenomenally with the African-Americans'

“Republicans have a hard time, because structurally you have to win Pennsylvania, you have to win Ohio. You know, they have like a map of, in particular, six states, and you lose one, it’s over,” Trump said. “The Democratic ride is a much easier ride, but if I pick up New York or if I pick up Michigan, it’s over, folks. It’s over.”

Trump said his campaign will do well with minority voters, insisting people will be surprised. “We’re going to do great with Hispanics,” he declared, and “phenomenally with the African-Americans.” His proclamations came as Trump is embroiled in fresh controversy over his reluctance on Sunday to disavow the Ku Klux Klan and white supremacist leader David Duke during an interview.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I always adore watching the GOP go after Pennsylvania and Michigan. It's so cute. It's like Charlie Brown and Lucy with the football. They always think they've got a damn good chance, but they always fall short.

If it keeps them from spending money in Florida, Iowa or Nevada, though, have at it.

Michigan isn't that far off for republicans, actually. It's turning red sooner or later. Not this year, but maybe 5-15 years.

Diablos

Speaking of leap day...

Thanks for sharing that. Your dad sounds like he was a great man and it is nice to see how you are carrying on for him. He'd be proud, no doubt about it.

Teggy

Speaking of leap day...

Wow, how old was your dad when you were born?

Holy hell. I'm so making a shirt using

34059.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Am I the only person who sees the transparency of this whole thing? The media is just doing anything they can at this point.

KKK, TRUMP UNIVERSITY, RUBIO DESTROYS TRUMP BY MAKING PENIS JOKE, SECRET TAPES.

I understand Trump is a monster and is clearly racist but it's kind of gross how both parties establishment and the media are intertwined like this. The guy spent 8 months disparaging Mexicans and Muslims for gods sake.

Yep. The "Liberals--you should all vote for Rubio even though he'd be a terrible president!!!" article was the biggest offender. I can't believe how intertwined the media and the RNC are. It is bizarre.

Thanks for sharing, keep it up and get her in there for your old man!

Thank you!

Thanks for sharing that. Your dad sounds like he was a great man and it is nice to see how you are carrying on for him. He'd be proud, no doubt about it.

:) Thanks. Sorry to ramble on. Just felt like getting it out there. :)

Wow, how old was your dad when you were born?

He was 65. I was a late in life baby.

Teggy

Stepped into Hillary thread. Person argues that because Obama won an insurgent campaign in 2008, the DNC changed the rules to prevent it from happening again. Stepped out of Hillary thread.

Ophelion

Speaking of leap day...

From all the stories you've told, he seemed like a good man, Adam. I'm sure he'd be proud of you.

I have a similar relationship with my Grandpa in that our bond comes through politics. Practically everyone in my family are the kind of callous affluent white Republicans that people always rail against as the general depiction of the opposition. When I defected to the Democrats in the early 2000's, I was ostracized from most of my family.

But Grandpa Ed, he gave me my first Al Franken book. He has a cardboard cutout of Bill Clinton that lives in the closet of his computer room—I remember asking him why he had it as a little kid who'd only ever been told that Bill Clinton was the Great Liberal Satan and Grandpa jauntily threw his arm over Cardboard Bill's shoulder and said, "This guy? He's my pal!"—and when he and Grandma Joy (RIP) found out I was willing to stand up to the family for my beliefs, they supported me. Emotionally and financially. I'll always be grateful to the both of them for helping me shake off the bullshit propaganda I grew up with and am proud to be voting Clinton alongside my Grandpa this time.

Diablos

Stepped into Hillary thread. Person argues that because Obama won an insurgent campaign in 2008, the DNC changed the rules to prevent it from happening again. Stepped out of Hillary thread.
It's true. The lizard race is responsible. Fool.

Makai

False in that he probably still wouldn't be as rich as Buffett, not wrong in that Drumpf's great strategy for growing his wealth couldn't beat the market: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-probably-better-investing-donald-233020366.html
This analysis is extremely flawed. He didn't start working in 1982 and of course if you time the market and put all of your money in at the trough of a bull market you're going to do well. It also doesn't consider that Trump spends obscene percentages of his income on luxury goods.

From all the stories you've told, he seemed like a good man, Adam. I'm sure he'd be proud of you.

I have a similar relationship with my Grandpa in that our bond comes through politics. Practically everyone in my family are the kind of callous affluent white Republicans that people always rail against as the general depiction of the opposition. When I defected to the Democrats in the early 2000's, I was ostracized from most of my family.

But Grandpa Ed, he gave me my first Al Franken book. He has a cardboard cutout of Bill Clinton that lives in the closet of his computer room—I remember asking him why he had it as a little kid who'd only ever been told that Bill Clinton was the Great Liberal Satan and Grandpa jauntily threw his arm over Cardboard Bill's shoulder and said, "This guy? He's my pal!"—and when he and Grandma Joy (RIP) found out I was willing to stand up to the family for my beliefs, they supported me. Emotionally and financially. I'll always be grateful to the both of them for helping me shake off the bullshit propaganda I grew up with and am proud to be voting Clinton alongside my Grandpa this time.

What a great man he was! I have nothing but respect for anyone who comes from a family that isn't politically aligned with them, but still have the courage to stand up for what they believe in. I lucked out in that way. My dad was an old school liberal. So it was easy for me. Mad respect to you and your Grandpa!

Nationwide survey of 2,348 doctors.

Self-identified Democrats:

Hillary Clinton 67%
Bernie Sanders 23%
Donald Trump 3%
Marco Rubio 1%

Self-identified Republicans:

Marco Rubio 33%
Donald Trump 28%
John Kasich 13%
Ted Cruz 12%
Ben Carson 7%
Hillary Clinton 3%
Bernie Sanders 1%

Self-identified Independents

Hillary Clinton 23%
Marco Rubio 20%
Donald Trump 17%
Bernie Sanders 14%
John Kasich 13%
Ted Cruz 4%
Ben Carson 3%

I give Bernie's people credit. He's hitting up Reddit hard for donations today. It has the double impact of being the last day of the month/filing deadline AND it comes before what is probably going to be a really, really shitty few weeks.

Get that coin now, girl. Get it. Build up some money. I wonder what his Cash on Hand is atm.

So I went over to reddit to see what all the fuss was about, and I have to say, I'm really proud of the reddit users. They're channelling their enthusiasm into actual substance and are actively promoting higher turnout. It remains to be seen if they will be rewarded for their efforts, but you can't talk shit about these particular group of young supporters being lazy and not voting.

HylianTom

Banned
Nationwide survey of 2,348 doctors.

Self-identified Democrats:

Hillary Clinton 67%
Bernie Sanders 23%
Donald Trump 3%
Marco Rubio 1%

Self-identified Republicans:

Marco Rubio 33%
Donald Trump 28%
John Kasich 13%
Ted Cruz 12%
Ben Carson 7%
Hillary Clinton 3%
Bernie Sanders 1%

Self-identified Independents

Hillary Clinton 23%
Marco Rubio 20%
Donald Trump 17%
Bernie Sanders 14%
John Kasich 13%
Ted Cruz 4%
Ben Carson 3%

Damn. Winning independents? I am impressed.

(And these family stories are making me verklempt!)

I don't know how many times I've had to argue with people that the 2008 primary and the 2016 primary are almost nothing alike. The way some people talk you'd think Obama was a complete unknown when he declared his candidacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom