• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

I think a lot of pundits don't get enough credit. A lot of them have benji-esque historical knowledge. Usually learn something when I listen to Chris Matthews.

I don't doubt they're knowledgeable on politics (most posters here are so far into inside baseball compared to me that they're inscrutable) but that doesn't translate into actual better predictions. I think it was Freakonomics that found that the "expert" edge in predictions is something tiny like 55%. Doing 5% better than a random guess is not something to rely on.

I joked about Scalia's Ghost hanging out with us in chat tonight, but he might be at the court itself.

I really like the fact that they don't allow recording in the supreme court, because I find reporter's recaps far more entertaining. The narrative description of everyone freaking out about Thomas asking a question was far more hilarious than just a video.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If I were Trump and he sweeps today, my answer to literally every question at the debate would be "I'm leading, your losing, I've won 13 States, you have won 0 and Nasty Cruz has won 2. By the way was little Rubio, stop sweating so much. Do you want some water?"

I'd throw in a "Why are you even here?" at the beginning and end of that answer.

Obama did just as badly with white women as Kerry(44 percent to Bush/Romney's 55). He won women because he racked up enormous majorities among black(who turned out higher than any other group), Hispanic, and Asian women to make up for that deficit with white women.

The parties might realign but I know for sure, so long as that realignment is because of Trump, that the GOP won't be making enough inroads with minority women to change that liberal lean.

Says a lot about white people that they are the only ethnic group that doesn't lean democrat overall. Donald Trump's sole stroke of genius was realizing that race supercedes all other issues in american politics.

Escalators? Why escalators?
I don't know. He was talking about riding one with Melania and saying we got to do it. What it was I don't know because Fix cut away. He jumped from the hand thing to the crowd cheering and saying little Marco and stuff toescalators and I don't know why.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My queen...yasss..werq..

Am I doing it right

LBky0cl.jpg
No. WERK has to be spelled with a k and in caps. You betta WERK

NeoXChaos

Says a lot about white people that they are the only ethnic group that doesn't lean democrat overall. Donald Trump's sole stroke of genius was realizing that race supercedes all other issues in american politics.

well they haven't for 50 years. Johnson was the last to carry the white vote overall.

well they haven't for 50 years. Johnson was the last to carry the white vote overall.

Right, ever since the civil rights act caused a party realignment. To be honest I'm surprised no candidate has been as forthcoming about xenophobia, racism etc until Trump. I guess most candidates are more mindful of the general election.

Effect

The David Duke thing definitely hurts Trump... But it might be too late.

If they keep it up even after it looks like Trump has the delegates then that might signal that they are going to do their best to make sure he doesn't get the nomination at the convention or they're okay with losing the presidency if it means they can regain control over their party and keep their house and senate seats. That coupled with McConnel having given the okay for people to distance themselves from Trump or run ads against him and people being very direct and open about their lack of support for Trump no matter what. I really think many in the GOP don't want Trump in power and reshaping their party in his image. I think for some of them "anyone but Trump" really does mean anyone but him.

Obama did just as badly with white women as Kerry(44 percent to Bush/Romney's 55). He won women because he racked up enormous majorities among black(who turned out higher than any other group), Hispanic, and Asian women to make up for that deficit with white women.

The parties might realign but I know for sure, so long as that realignment is because of Trump, that the GOP won't be making enough inroads with minority women to change that liberal lean.

Likewise you can break the white female woman vote down. Obama won younger women but lost older women, who vote more. You could argue that democrats will begin to do better with white women as older ones die off. I think Clinton's results in November could ultimately be an outlier if she faces Trump; she'll destroy him among women and do better than Kerry or Obama with white women. Will that continue in 2020 when republicans almost certainly have a better candidate?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Right, ever since the civil rights act caused a party realignment. To be honest I'm surprised no candidate has been as forthcoming about xenophobia, racism etc until Trump. I guess most candidates are more mindful of the general election.

I think despite everything, the GOP still harbored these ideas of expanding the party. The problem is the dog whistles have always been fairly well telegraphed.

I have to say, that article on authoritarianism was excellent. It fits really nicely into the other theories about the rise of Trump, that it started with the Southern Strategy and whatnot, and fills in a few gaps that were missing. I'm surprised we got such a good explanation of what's going on already, I expected we'd have to wait a few years for such an article.

Grief.exe

The party really took a step to the radical starting in the mid 90's (Newt Gingrich Congress, Clinton Impeachment. Then with the advent of Fox News and Rush Limbaugh pushing this narrative daily for the last 20 years, you really have a perfect storm for creating ignorance.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So Trump is being labeled as "hateful" by the media and other opponents now?

That's rich, considering he is the only republican during the debates to talk about taking care of the poor with health care and preventing discrimination against those with pre-existing conditions.

Also rich coming from Ted Cruz, the man who says it is ok to kill innocents in countries with terrorists.

Grief.exe

So Trump is being labeled as "hateful" by the media and other opponents now?

That 's rich, considering he is the only republican during the debates to talk about taking care of the poor with health care and preventing discrimination against those with pre-existing conditions.

Also rich coming from Ted Cruz, the man who says it is ok to kill innocents in countries with terrorists.

Have to justify that 2.5 trillion increase in military spending by bombing somebody.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Since I'll be gone until Thursday, assuming Trump loses two states at most, what do you think Republicans will do next? What percentage would you give a Bull Moose like party forming just to ensure he loses?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Every election season I am reminded how freaking terrible American media is. I watch Irish news and BBC and the difference is unbelievable.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Since I'll be gone until Thursday, assuming Trump loses two states at most, what do you think Republicans will do next? What percentage would you give a Bull Moose like party forming just to ensure he loses?

It's already formed inside the GOP, what we're seeing now is the alien-style birth where it busts through the GOP's chest.

Teggy

Put my ballots ballot in for Hillary in MA. Now I just need to wrap up work early enough to get to the gym and back by 7pm.

I'm kind of surprised I didn't a call from either campaign leading up the primary. And the only mail I got was from Hillary, specifically on gun control. Maybe Bernie decided to write off the over 30 crowd.

o/u on 'dead heat' being uttered by Wolf tonight? i'll say 3. but cant discount possibility that polls wont be called right away even though they are obvious blowouts and wolf just not being able to contain himself.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
where you going?
I'll be too salty so I'm staying away until the Republican debate.

I just learned that sodium negatively affecting (normal) blood pressure is a myth so scrap that earlier statement.
It's already formed inside the GOP, what we're seeing now is the alien-style birth where it busts through the GOP's chest.
I mean do you think it comes down to a brokered convention or actually running a third party candidate? Is that a last resort option?

Teggy

well then

There people are terrible. Warren didn't even want to run for Senate, she wanted to be head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau but the Republicans blocked her. They want to force her to run for President? And hey, maybe she thinks having the first female president (in Hillary) would be great.

I don't want non Neogafferson on it like if that shitty subreddit decides to spam it.
Cmon, ivy, just this once. I want to hear what they have to say. Prepare a backup chat just in case things go south, it'll be alright.

Back when i lurked, i wanted to shit talk/cheer on aarons midterm predictions so badly

There people are terrible. Warren didn't even want to run for Senate, she wanted to be head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau but the Republicans blocked her. They want to force her to run for President? And hey, maybe she thinks having the first female president (in Hillary) would be great.

GOP was bluffing. Obama caved. let's hope that doesnt happen with SC nominee.

Turnout for Super Tuesday was already overwhelming the polls in some places in North Texas, while voters were sparse in other locations.

For the most part, though, it’s a tale of two primaries, with longer lines for Republican voters than those voting Democrat.

Republican voters had to wait at least 30 minutes in line early Tuesday morning at North Dallas High School in the West Village, where just one man worked the table for dozens of voters.

Democrats, meanwhile, were waved to the front — if there were any in line. At least once, when a worker came outside asking for Democratic voters, no one came forward.

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews....place-but-turnout-sparse-in-other-spots.html/

Bodes well for Trumpinator.

Ophelion

Cmon, ivy, just this once. I want to hear what they have to say. Prepare a backup chat just in case things go south, it'll be alright.

You want to fight a zergrush of Reddit trolls? A lot of people in here are really good, but can we really play political speed chess with a dozen idiots each?

Edit: NM, I see what you mean.

Back when i lurked, i wanted to shit talk/cheer on aarons midterm predictions so badly

Maybe a fake public chat that we can enjoy from our ivory tower. Once and while we'll throw some meat down for the masses to chew on.

Teggy

Trump said everyone tells him he has beautiful hands and this is the first time he had heard anyone say he had small hands. This fucking guy. Lies even about the smallest things.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I mean do you think it comes down to a brokered convention or actually running a third party candidate? Is that a last resort option?

I really don't think they run a third-party GOP candidate. If Trump comes in second that's the complete death of the party as we know it, they can't risk losing to Trump in the general. They'll likely try and regain control through a brokered convention, if such a thing is even going to be possible, or just let Trump do his thing and try to reassert control after he loses. Trump would really have to drive them into a corner for the establishment to run a candidate of their own.

What I'm saying is they've still got options to exercise before it gets to a 3-way race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom