• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhelm

contribute something
Oh man some Berniebros are going insane about that Bill Clinton thing in MA.

It is technically illegal, although that's not why Bernie lost

Wolf Blitzer just said Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton both had good wins tonight...

In the long game, that's kind of true. Eight months ago, nobody would have forseen him doing this strongly nationally. His chances of beating Clinton are very slim, but better than the initial projections that he would drop before Iowa.

johnsmith

remember me
Watched a little bit of TYT. Those guys are so clueless.

"Bernie won 4 out of 11, can you believe they're going to tell him to drop out? HAHAHAHA"

Gruco

Banned
Bernie's choice to contest only fours states had to have been an implicit recognition that they weren't going to win. He's in it for optics and the appearance of being competitive, rather than actually being competitive. That lets him keep fundraising, keep giving speeches, keep talking about what matters to him.

Bernie has absolutely no path. This night was an absolute disaster for him, assuming that he actually was trying to win. But at the end of the day, only nerds know about delegate math and the importance of running up the margin in GA. Bernie gets to point at the scoreboard and say "see? I won four." And honestly, he did better than I expected. Between MN, CO, and OK, I was hoping he'd drop 1 or 2.

It kind of annoys me that he's going to keep running with no plausibly path to victory, but whatever, apparently this is something that politicians enjoy doing. I think it's important that he drop out and endorse Hillary, considering how divisive the primary has been, but apparent he wants to spend more time talking about his regressive tax plan, his pro rich people spending policies, and his Winston Churchill hero worship. He is, after all, a message candidate.

Valhelm

contribute something
It kind of annoys me that he's going to keep running with no plausibly path to victory, but whatever, apparently this is something that politicians enjoy doing. I think it's important that he drop out and endorse Hillary, considering how divisive the primary has been, but apparent he wants to spend more time talking about his regressive tax plan, his pro rich people spending policies, and his Winston Churchill hero worship. He is, after all, a message candidate.

The fuck?

Bernie's choice to contest only fours states had to have been an implicit recognition that they weren't going to win. He's in it for optics and the appearance of being competitive, rather than actually being competitive. That lets him keep fundraising, keep giving speeches, keep talking about what matters to him.

Bernie has absolutely no path. This night was an absolute disaster for him, assuming that he actually was trying to win. But at the end of the day, only nerds know about delegate math and the importance of running up the margin in GA. Bernie gets to point at the scoreboard and say "see? I won four."

lol regressive tax plan/pro rich people spending policies.

Grief.exe

Just got back from my Caucus in Colorado, overall it was an amazing experience.

There were about 3000 people there, which they split into smaller precincts of about 20-100 depending on where we live.

My wife and I were in one of the smaller groups, and I was very surprised to see the amount of Bernie supporters despite being a mixed demographic that skewed older.

Democratic discussion took place from both sides, and we ended up brining over a couple of independents to our side.

Valhelm

contribute something
What is going on---NYT shows MA called for Sanders (by A.P.)

906411a9db.png

Must be a mistake.

NYT really doesn't want to call MA for Clinton lol, it's back to being pale blue.
EDIT: Finally called, I think the mistake probably got hopes up for a moment.

Ranked first by margin then by delegates, at last check of the NYT.
Code:
	Clinton	Sanders	Margin	Delegates	Winner
Vt	14	86	72	16		Sanders
Ala	79	18	61	53		Clinton
Ga	71	28	43	102		Clinton
Ark	68	28	40	32		Clinton
Tex	66	31	35	222		Clinton
Tenn	66	33	33	67		Clinton
Va	64	35	29	95		Clinton
Minn	41	59	18	77		Sanders
Col	41	58	17	66		Sanders
Okla	42	52	10	38		Sanders
Mass	51	48	3	91		Clinton
Table 1. Lessons in bad Super Tuesday strategies.

Valhelm

contribute something
He's proposing expanding the payroll tax, which is regressive, and he's proposing free college tuition, which primarily benefits high income groups. Neither or those claims should be controversial.

Free college tuition directly benefits those who cannot afford it. High-income groups don't need free tuition, and aren't as likely to attend university regardless.

Per game theory, who do "we" want to win in Vermont: Trump or Kasich?
Kasich.

If Kasich drops out, his voters largely go to Rubio. We don't want that to happen, even if Trump beats Rubio head to head. It's too much of a risk, as a lot of late deciders break for Rubio.

Iolo

Hillary's up by 213 delegates in the current estimate---could this go up? The estimates only cover around 650 delegates so 400 are unallocated. (When MA was called she gained 3 delegates.) It's hard to tell at a glance because MN for example has 0 allocated, but TX has around 90 unallocated still.

Gruco

Banned
Free college tuition directly benefits those who cannot afford it. High-income groups don't need free tuition, and aren't as likely to attend university regardless.
Seriously, who do you think spends more on tuition, the kid going to community college, or the one going to a state flagship? Who do you think came from the wealthier family, who stands to earn more over the course of their life? Free college tuition is a regressive policy. Fortunately the US has recently been more focused on expanding progressive policies like the Pell Grant program

Where do you get the idea that high income groups are less likely to attend university?

Cerium

Kasich.

If Kasich drops out, his voters largely go to Rubio. We don't want that to happen, even if Trump beats Rubio head to head. It's too much of a risk, as a lot of late deciders break for Rubio.

Kasich is not dropping until Ohio, and he's a real threat to win Ohio, so we need him as marginalized as possible.

Ohio is winner takes all. It's a huge deal.

Valhelm

contribute something
Seriously, who do you think spends more on tuition, the kid going to community college, or the one going to a state flagship? Who do you think came from the wealthier family, who stands to earn more over the course of their life? Free college tuition is a regressive policy. Fortunately the US has recently been more focused on expanding progressive policies like the Pell Grant program

Where do you get the idea that high income groups are less likely to attend university?

Do you not realize that income is the biggest reason students choose community college over a four-year institution? High income groups generally attend private universities, which wouldn't be affected by such a tuition plan. This really cannot be denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom